PDA

View Full Version : Ice Warriors re-vamped! (2500pts)

Dreadgrass
08-08-2010, 07:44
So with a few games experience under my belt in 8th, I'm re-working my Warriors list, tell me what you think...

LORDS - 385pts

Jhared Sleet-Hart
Sorcerer Lord (Heavens) - Blood of Tzeentch, Armour of Destiny, Necrotic Phylacerty, Ironcurse Icon, Stream of Corruption.
Joins Marauder block 2. I think Heavens has great synergy with Warriors, its combination of anti-shooting, granting of re-rolls and damage spells seems to work in well with our quality troops. He has BoT instead of puppet because I believe its more useful in general, The 4+ ward armour downgrades his save a little, but allows me to have both a wardsave, and the Phylacerty to make him pretty immune to sniping. The Icon was added because I had a few spare points and it'll give his Marauders a 5+ ward against mortars and the like, the Stream gives some much-needed combat punch to his anvil bodyguard unit.

HEROES - 199pts

Dhaelik the Mournful
Exalted Hero - BSB, Additional Hand Weapon, Mark of the Ice Lord (Tzeentch), Talisman of Endurance, Bronze armour of Zhrakk, Favour of the Gods
Joins Marauder block 1. My BSB and the "army champion", 5 strength 5 attacks, Immune to KB and poison. 4+ save, 4+ ward and favour, he'll shred anything short of a lord, and probably a fair few of them too! lol.

CORE - 1145pts

Hunters of the Jagged Peaks
40x Marauders - Shields, Light Armour, Mark of the IceLords(Tzeentch), full command
Marauder block 1. Stands 5 wide and 8 deep as a stubborn tarpit, contains the BSB to keep my mainline in combat as long as possible.

Hunters of the Frozen Steppes
40x Marauders - Shields, Light Armour, Mark of the IceLords(Tzeentch), full command
Marauder block 2. Another tarpit, this one contains the Lord so if/ when he miscasts I'm not obliterating Warriors. Also helps to keep the leaders Insipiring presence centred to support the trolls.

Chosen of the Tundra
32x Warriors - Halberds, Standard, Musician, Mark of the IceLords(Tzeentch), Banner of Rage.
My "hammer" unit, will normally deploy horde and roll up a flank, then reform and work its way along the line.

SPECIAL - 360pts

Snow Beasts
4x Trolls
4x Trolls
Support units for the Marauders, hoping the tag-team of the steadfast Marauder blocks and the tougher and harder hitting trolls will work well.

RARE - 410pts

Frost Daemons
Hellcannon
Hellcannon
My back line. they'll lob shots into packed enemies and fill any gaps the enemy drive in my lines.

So, thats the list. what do you all think?

moonwhisper
08-08-2010, 13:16
Sounds good, but I would add some fast flanking units since you rely much on your tarpit units. And a war-machine hunter is always useful. I would drop two Trolls and make a single 6x unit. This way it can benefit of resolution and maximize their support attacks. This should give you enough points for some dogs or horsemen.
Otherwise, nothing to say.

theorox
08-08-2010, 13:28
If you run trolls in units of 4, go 2x2! Yay!

I'm not a fan of HC, i feel WoC should'nt have shooting. That's up to the player though. :)

3 Units in a 2500 point game? (Plus the troll supportunits, that is.) Is'nt that a bit...little? I dunno, it seems like a very cool army.

Good luck. I have nothing to add really. :)

Theo

thesheriff
08-08-2010, 16:47
Like i said in a previous thread, the theme is awsome. For the ice theme, have you considerd in bigger games Kholek? He does come out of an icicle after all. Infact, Dragon ogres and shaggoths in general would be good. I would recommend, istead of maybe one of the hellcannons, maybe a shaggoth or some dragon ogres. Fighting on the mountains fighting. Also, if you take (in bigger games - 4kish) Your lv.4 with lore of heavens and a kholek, any rogue lightnings you could use to zzap kholek for some frenzy goodness.

Dreadgrass
08-08-2010, 22:28
Thanks for your replies all!

@Moonwhisper - I agree some flanking units would be handy, but either I can't use them properly in 8th or my regular opponents are too savvy, because I can't seem to get them to do anything of consequence. I want to pick up a unit of Knights or the like for warmachine hunting and flank support, but couldn't squeeze them in... At this stage the Lvl.4 is on warmachine duty, with the signature Heavens spell (to make them roll a 4+ to fire) and dropping comets on their firebase. Other than that its a matter of get into combat ASAP and try to overrun into the artillery.

@theorox - 2x2 FTW! compact enough to get in beside a unit, hard hitting enough to put a dent in most things and as the enemy hits them they get stronger! I agree only having 3 units is a bit small, but they're all big and resilient and theres nothing in the list that can be ignored or considered a low priority, as even the trolls and hellcannons can knock around most enemy support units (had an opponent flank charge a Marauder block with Fleshhounds whilst they were held up in combat. I then rear charged HIM with a Hellcannon and tore them up! lol)

@thesheriff - Kholek or a Shaggoth are definately on the cards for bigger games, my Hellcannons are going to be probably the DaemonPrince models converted to be "super-trolls" with a collection of big spiked ball and chains to play hammer-toss with. So they'll fit in nicely with the Ice-country theme...

Dreadgrass
11-08-2010, 00:08
So, thinking of some alternatives to the list, I've come up with:

LORDS - 380pts

Jhared Sleet-Hart
Sorcerer Lord (Heavens) - Blood of Tzeentch, Armour of Destiny, Necrotic Phylacerty, Stream of Corruption.
Joins Warrior block 1. I think Heavens has great synergy with Warriors, its combination of anti-shooting, granting of re-rolls and damage spells seems to work in well with our quality troops. He has BoT instead of puppet because I believe its more useful in general, The 4+ ward armour downgrades his save a little, but allows me to have both a wardsave, and the Phylacerty to make him pretty immune to sniping, the Stream gives some much-needed combat punch to his anvil bodyguard unit and stacks with the Razor standard for a -2 to saves!

HEROES - 429pts

Dhaelik the Mournful
Exalted Hero - BSB, Shield, Mark of the Ice Lord (Tzeentch), Book of Secrets (Shadow), DragonHelm, Opal amulet
Joins Warrior block 2. My BSB, 5 strength 5 attacks (thanks to the Banner of Rage), 2+ save, 5+ ward in Combat and a 3+ ward against the 1st wound suffered, he'll shred anything short of a lord, and probably a fair few of them too! lol The book will give him the default shadow spell to cast at +2 (a lvl. 1 mage +Tzeentch) so he'll pot 1 dice at it a turn so he's got no chance of a miscast.

Vhord the Abominable
Exalted Hero - Mark of the Berserker (Khorne), Juggernaut, Halberd, Helm of Many Eyes, Blasphemous amulet
The "army champion." 5 strength 6 attacks that will more often than not strike first with re-rolls to hit, plus the jugger, plus every magic phase any enemy in B2B contact (generally around 4) take a T test or suffer a wound. Will babysit the unit of trolls furthest from the mainline to negate his helms negative effects and give him a bit of combat support.

CORE - 1144pts

Chosen of the Tundra
20x Warriors - Shields, Command, Mark of the IceLords(Tzeentch), Razor standard.
Warrior Block 1. Guards the Sorcerer Lord and holds the left flank. Will probably deploy 7x3 and reform to maximise attacks as needed.

Hunters of the Frozen Steppes
20x Warriors - Halberds, command, Mark of the IceLords(Tzeentch), Banner of Rage.
Warrior Block 2. Guards my BSB and holds the centre of the line. Will also probably deploy 7x3 and adapt to theenmies frontage. These guys are all about weight of Strength 5 attacks!

Berserkers of the Jagged Peaks
18x Warriors - Halberds, Musician, Mark of the Berserker(Khorne)
My "hammer" unit, will normally deploy 6x3 and roll up the left flank, then reform and work its way along the line.

SPECIAL - 360pts

Snow Beasts
4x Trolls
4x Trolls
Support units for the Mainline, hoping the tag-team of the tough warrior blocks and the regenerating trolls, plus the 3 characters will give some ral punch all the way along the battleline.

RARE - ***pts

Frost Daemon
Hellcannon
Holds my somewhat "refused" Right flank and lobs shots in to thin down enemy steadfast blocks that may bog down the assault..

So what do you think of the changes? essentially removes my Marauders and Hellcannon for more warriors and an exalted to really add some steel to the attack...

thesheriff
11-08-2010, 10:50
I prefer the first list, Maruders are good, and 2 hellcannons are mean. Both would be good. In this list, i would drop the exalted for another hellcannon, but thats just my personal taste.

randomkrazy
11-08-2010, 15:13
cool list, also I like the first one more. Seems like you know the roles of all your units pretty well and that's important. Just make sure you are able to let them play their roles, sometimes smart opponents wont let you.

Dreadgrass
13-08-2010, 12:09
I'm kinda liking the "wall of warriors" feel of the 2nd list, thinking though, as has been suggested, of swapping the 2nd Exalted back out for the 2nd Hellcannon...

I've also established: Wall of warriors + Harmonic convergence = lots of fun! Re-roll 1's on mountains of WS5, S5 attacks...

Kneedles
16-08-2010, 00:22
Remember the good old days when Hellcannons could deny a rank bonus with a flank charge?