PDA

View Full Version : I want to paint

J-kob
08-08-2010, 09:59
So I'm hoping to paint up an army and possible the rules further down the line and two/three armies have caught my eye Lizardmen,Dark Elves,Empire and possiblely Brettinnia and was wondering you you could give me a genral idea on the cost,paints ease and playablity of the armires.

Thanks
Jk
:shifty:

sigur
08-08-2010, 10:02
They are all perfectly playable. Not sure what you want to hear about the "playability". :eyebrows: If you want to paint and you llike one army's miniatures, go ahead. You'll spend more time painting than playing anyway :)

Toddums
08-08-2010, 10:16
Brettonia would be the hardest to paint by far imo (if you want them to look good).

Lizzies are probably more beginner friendly than dark elves (play wise).

Paints, glue, files, primer, will cost you atleast 150, probably over 200.

J-kob
08-08-2010, 10:16
"Playability" sorry i meant what style do they genrally play are cost of roughly an average size force

Thanks
Jk
:shifty:

Toddums
08-08-2010, 10:20
Lizzies and DE have many options on playstyles, Brettonia is pretty much limited to relying on heavy Calvary (although the trebuchet is nasty)

Vaiuri
08-08-2010, 10:28
Cost wise I would recommend either Lizardmen or Brettonia for 'cheaper' armies to buy. This is because you can build an army out of elite troops and you can get started for a lower start-up cost than Empire or Dark Elves.

You need to think about what style of game you want to play and which figures appeal to you the most.

Brets have a LOT of cavalry, and you can really go to town painting each knight to be an individual with his own heraldry and colours. You can make an army that is themed aroud one lord with knights sworn to him in his colours or have each knight being independant and have a very colourful army.

Dark Elves suffer a little with their core choices I feel. The new corsair models are very nice and you can have a lot of fun painting their armour and sea dragon cloaks. Unfortunately the spearmen/crossbow models are quite old now, and despite being very excellent choices for your army I have always been put off taking them because I dont like the figures. Aside from this Dark Elves are a fun and varied force - for a painter you can really treat yourself with big monsters like the Hydra and Manticore, not to mention Cold One Knights :)

I'm currently starting an Empire army and am theming it around one of the Northern provinces. Your troops are cheaply pointed, but at 15 for 10 figures they are not cheap to buy - and believe me, you'll need a lot of them! Unfortuately the Knights really suffer for being some of the oldest models around, but I've seen plenty of these models painted beautifully despite their age. Empire are a great army to experimet with tactically, they really offer a lot of play styles to suit anyone! You can also create a very themed force and theres a lot of information about the Empire out there for you to look at and get inspiration from.

Lizardmen are my favourite army, I really find them a treat to paint as you can let your imagination run wild with regards to colours. GW have painted theirs blue, but theres nothing stopping you painting them green/yellow/purple, whatever you like :) They have some nice big models to paint too in the Stegadon, Kroxigor and Saurus Cavalry. My only critisism with this army is they dont seem to have as much choice as other armies, something I feel Brettonias suffer from too.

The best advice I can give you is for you to collect an army you will enjoy painting, tactics and play style can be worked on as you build your army, but if you really want to paint, choose something you know will inspire you for years to come :)

Disclaimer: These opinions are of course only that - opinions. I'm sure each person you speak to will have their own imput on the armies you've mentioned. Sometimes the best thing to go is just go with your gut feelings :D

Waagghh_Logan
08-08-2010, 10:49
All of theose armies have a decent number of plastic kits so they wouldn't be too expensive to buy.

As with the paints if you just buy the ones you need then you can paint to a fairly good standard, but the more paints you have the easier it is to get a good finish on your models

NecroMaster
08-08-2010, 10:55
Brettonians will cost you the most. They still have a lot of old metal models which can end up becoming very pricey in the long run. Lizardmen are a good army and shouldnt run you that steep out of your pocket. Another upside of the Lizardmen is that they can be alot of fun to paint and model. My votes on Lizardmen.

Fobster
08-08-2010, 11:13
lizardmen will be the easiest to paint to an acceptable standard. you can find a decent spray color from a model shop and base coat all the saurus warriors and skink with this. GW washes to add depth. light dry brush to add definition. Plus this will be cheap.

chamelion 6
08-08-2010, 16:35
You can keep the costs of supplies down by using craft paint and superglue. The model paints are a higher quality, and I use them for special things, but most of my rank and file are craft store paints. While they are not as high a quality they are more than high enough to get the job done at a fraction of the cost. And the variety is much broader.

When it's all done, you can't tell the difference.

Duke Georgal
08-08-2010, 18:21
Three armies have caught my eye Lizardmen,Dark Elves,Empire and possiblely Brettinnia and was wondering you you could give me a genral idea on the cost,paints ease and playablity of the armires.

Painting:

Lizardmen=Very Easy.
Dark Elfs=Tough.
Bretonnia=Insanely Difficult.

Cost:

Lizards=Average, Most stuff is plastic and reasonable.
Dark Elfs=Depends on the list, many units are metal only.
Bretonnia=Average, Knights are a good price for 8 of them.

What do you mean by playability? My oppinion:

Lizardmen=Always fun.
Dark Elfs=As long as you don't bring a BS list, fun.
Bretonnia=Pretty boring. Should not be your only army.

I hope this helped.

xxRavenxx
08-08-2010, 18:53
I disagree that bretonnia are hard to paint.

The painting breakdown, (in my humble opinion as a pro painter from ebay :p) is thus:

Dark elves are... dark. You'll do a lot of silver metal, a good deal of black, and probably only your flesh tone and a single colour afterwards (usually green, dark red, or purple). More colours dont suit them usually.

Lizardmen are much brighter if you choose them to be. You can go for "dinosaur green", through to poison frog brightness. You can pick some very cutting schemes for them. Their mounts can be different colours to the men too, as can the tiny skinks be a different shade to the larger lizards.

Bretonians are great for people with ADD. Each knight can be done in his own personal scheme. If you think you'll get bored of doing a sea of one colour, they're likely the group for you. Paint one in red and blue, the next in green and yellow, get bored but have some left? Loan one to your friend and get him to do a scheme :P

My personal suggestionwould be to avoid Dark Elves if you want something fun to paint, and to aim for one of the other armies.

theorox
08-08-2010, 19:04
What Raven said.

Theo

Nubl0
08-08-2010, 19:12
I would think cost wise, most armies will cost you atleast 200. Maybe a little more. I just started my daemon army which is set for 2k and have spent around 250 (this includes paint, glue and stuff)

Out of those armies I would guess that Brettonians would be the cheapest money wise, however if you want them to look good you are going to have to spend a hella load of time on each individual knight.

Francois
08-08-2010, 19:37
Hi J-Kob,

I painted (badly) a lizardman army, an Empire army and a Bretonnian army. By far my favorite to paint was the Empire. They have a ton of different troop types so you don't get bored painting them. Bretonnians were too challenging for me, some people expect the intricate heraldry, and I just did simple Crusader crosses (all I could manage). Lizardmen, I was unimaginative and just did them all green with blue cold ones, kind of boring. I'd say Empire, but my impression of play is, you need to be very good to win with a lot of mediocre troops. If you like to throw one or two powerful units at the enemy and crush them, maybe Bretonnians are better?

Just my opinions...

--- Frankie

Duke Georgal
08-08-2010, 19:56
I disagree that bretonnia are hard to paint.

Bretonians are great for people with ADD. Each knight can be done in his own personal scheme. If you think you'll get bored of doing a sea of one colour, they're likely the group for you. Paint one in red and blue, the next in green and yellow, get bored but have some left? Loan one to your friend and get him to do a scheme.

Wow, you make it sound like any monkey with a paintbrush can paint a Bretonnian army. Nothing could be further from the truth. First, it is the only army on the list that will require research to get it to look correct. There are specific rules of heraldry that will need to be learned and followed. Specific patterns and difficult field seperations will need to mastered and duplicated. The devices applied to the fields need to be correctly done by the rules. You are pretty much required to learn to paint checkerboards and multistriped chevrons. I guess if you want the ADD version of bretonnia, it would be pretty easy to paint. Of coarse you could also just dip your dark elves in purple paint and drybrush with silver. Your end result would be the same.

xxRavenxx
08-08-2010, 23:25
Wow, you make it sound like any monkey with a paintbrush can paint a Bretonnian army. Nothing could be further from the truth. First, it is the only army on the list that will require research to get it to look correct. There are specific rules of heraldry that will need to be learned and followed. Specific patterns and difficult field seperations will need to mastered and duplicated. The devices applied to the fields need to be correctly done by the rules. You are pretty much required to learn to paint checkerboards and multistriped chevrons. I guess if you want the ADD version of bretonnia, it would be pretty easy to paint. Of coarse you could also just dip your dark elves in purple paint and drybrush with silver. Your end result would be the same.

You're mistaking what *you* would do, which is completely fine, and encouragable, with what *Someone else* would do, which is also fine and correct. There are no rules stating bretonians must be painted with specific heraldry.

One of the local players does bretonians. They are nicely painted, in various colours, with, as I suggested to the OP, one figure painted by each regular player in the store who can actually paint.

They do not conform to heraldy "rules". They do look lovely on the table, and look very bretonian.

arxhon
09-08-2010, 03:51
Wow, you make it sound like any monkey with a paintbrush can paint a Bretonnian army. Nothing could be further from the truth. First, it is the only army on the list that will require research to get it to look correct. There are specific rules of heraldry that will need to be learned and followed. Specific patterns and difficult field seperations will need to mastered and duplicated. The devices applied to the fields need to be correctly done by the rules. You are pretty much required to learn to paint checkerboards and multistriped chevrons.

Err...what game are you playing? Doesn't sound like WFB to me.

Lowmans
09-08-2010, 07:16
Everyone who paints is a Pro painter on EBay.... Ahem.

Anyway, there was an article in WD once-upon-a-time (from the Stillmania series, I think) this went into the rules of heraldry.

It's entirely up to you whether you choose to follow them.

My best suggestion would be to pick the army that you immediately like the look of best. You've got to love the look of the things or painting can become a chore.

Best of luck.

L

Bassik
09-08-2010, 17:13
With the new foundationpaints, Bretonnia is the easiest to paint of them all. Just stay in the lines, and not even a highlight is required for a good standard.

EDIT: Seriously Duke, wtf :wtf:

NFOjalapeno
09-08-2010, 19:41
funny enough i've owned and pianted a bret, DE, and Liz army. I must say to play the DE are the most fun, lizards were OK (sold em), but my heart truly lies with the Brets. They are difficult to paint (well) and I decided to make every one indvidual duplicating no color scheme (halves/quarters ect) and only using red/blue/yellow/white/black. painting that many of the same model no matter how different gets tiring very quickly but when finished it is a stunning army. Brets take patience above all else.

Zoolander
09-08-2010, 20:18
As far as the painting goes...

Lizardmen will be the easiest because they have some of the least amount of detail (or rather their detail is easier to pick out). The models are often bigger and lower in number as well (save for skinks). Brets will be the hardest because each knight is like painting an individual character - full of detail and unique, including stickers!