PDA

View Full Version : Where'd they go?

the_night_reaper
03-03-2006, 19:03
At the end of the third movie Bilbo, frodo, gandalf and some elves went on a boat and I have no idea where. Can anyone explain to me where they're going. My aunt tried to explain it to me and she said they were going to go die or something. But that doesn't sound right. So it would be great if someone could give me an indepth discription of where they went and why.

hilltroll
03-03-2006, 19:21
They were heading off to Valinor, which is sort of a sacred land of the elves. It is inhabited by the Gods (the Valar), angels (Maiar) and quite a few kindreds of elves. It is not actually within the world, but removed from it (nasty problem with Sauron caused that one), but those with the knowledge can still reach there. It is also called the Undying lands, but only because the people that live there don't die. Frodo, Bilbo, Sam and Gimli would have had a long and peaceful life there, and would have been healed of their incurable injuries, until they too would have passed away.

the_night_reaper
03-03-2006, 22:57
which chapters of the book and which book explains this?

AventineCrusader
04-03-2006, 01:57
Most is explained within the Simillarion(sp?)

Crusader:D 0

Brandir
04-03-2006, 07:23
Sam, as a Ringbearer, also sailed to the Undying Lands. This was, however, some time after Frodo in SR 1482 (FO 61):

On September 22 Master Sam-wise rides out from Bag End. He comes to the Tower Hills, and is last seen by Elanor, to whom he gives the Red Book afterwards kept by the Fairbairns. Among them the tradition is handed down from Elanor that Samwise passed the Towers, and went to the Grey Havens. and passed over Sea, last of the Ring-bearers.
Quote taken from LOTR Appendix B.

Gimli also went in SR 1541 (FO 120):

But it is said that Gimli went also out of desire to see again the beauty of Galadriel; and it may be that she, being mighty among the Eldar, obtained this grace for him. More cannot be said of this matter.
Quote taken from LOTR Appendix A.

hilltroll
04-03-2006, 10:01
Rats, I forgot Legolas and Gimli, in my list. Knew there was something wrong with it, just couldn't work out what.

Yin - Yang
04-03-2006, 12:57
Yeah, the Silmarillion is good for information on the Valinor, so I'd suggest reading that.

YY

The Judge
04-03-2006, 17:50
I forgot that Sam went there - didn't take his wife though... had she died by this point?

Brandir
04-03-2006, 18:07
Yes.

Rosie died on mid-years day SR 1482.

the_night_reaper
04-03-2006, 18:23
What is the Silmarillion and where can i get one?

Brandir
04-03-2006, 18:44
It is a book edited by JRR Tolkien's literary heir Christopher:

The forerunner to The Lord of the Rings, The Silmarillion fills in the background which lies behind the more popular work, and gives the earlier history of Middle-earth, introducing some of the key characters. The Silmarillion is an account of the Elder Days, of the First Age of Tolkien's World. It is the ancient drama to which the characters in The Lord of the Rings look back, and in whose events some of them, such as Elrond and Galadriel, took part. The tales of The Silmarillion are set in an age when Morgoth, the first Dark Lord, dwelt in Middle-Earth, and the High Elves made war upon him for the recovery of the Silmarils, the jewels containing the pure light of Valinor.

Reabe
04-03-2006, 19:05
Wait, Legolas is immortal, right? I thought the Elves were immortal.

Are Dwarfs immortal, like the Elves?

hilltroll
04-03-2006, 21:38
Elves are immortal. Once they die, their fea (spirit, I believe) goes of to the Halls of Mandos, and eventually they return from the dead and keep on living. The only restriction is that they are tied to the the Earth, once it dies they die. The only example of an elf returning in such a way is Glorfindel, who died in the First Age fighting Balrogs, and returned to ME in the Third Age.

Dwarves however, are not immortal. They do live a long time though.