PDA

View Full Version : So awkward to make so not buying it!

Goblin Gonads
08-08-2010, 20:44
I'm sat here typing away with several of my fingers either sore or still coated in super glue from trying to glue the halbereds on to a unit of Pheonix Guard. I've put it off for a year but with 8th ed and all... that and I have a game against dark elves coming up and I want to use them. But they will be exchanged for plastics the moment they are released! All the halbereds are the same type, the models are in slightly different poses, the hands are modeled on the shaft and its a kind of ball and socket joint join. You'd think it would be easy wouldn't you.... but no, some of them just don't seem to fit, some fit but only if you want a hand that loks like it has been dislocated!

So this lot will go to ebay at some point. I wish I had never bought them.

I also have Scrap launchers.... %%$ me!! You need an engineering degree to put those together. 3 left in boxes after the first one was finally finished and wound me up so much I wanted to take a hammer to something squishy!

Terradons...don't get me started!

Chosen..... nope, back in the box for you awkard buggers too.

So, what GW models do you have or know about that are just so damn awkward that you won't buy them.

By the way I have gamed painted and made models for over 20 years, it isn't due to a lack of experience or hamfistedness.

BeatTheBeat
08-08-2010, 20:46
I hear the goblin big boss on a giant spider is quite the hassle to put together, has really put me off from buying one. Sad, as I love the model!

Cheers,
BTB

Nubl0
08-08-2010, 20:53
Not really that bad, but I find the arm joints for demmonettes to be one of the worst ever for a basic plastic troop. I still have 20 however ;P

EmperorNorton
08-08-2010, 20:54
So, what GW models do you have or know about that are just so damn awkward that you won't buy them.

I've read so many bad things about the Scrap Launcher that I refuse to buy it.
There's also no way I'm going to get a second metal Steam Tank, although they can be found cheaply on ebay occasionally.

Little Joe
08-08-2010, 21:00
Just drill some holes into the hands at the ball and the guard at the corresponding hole. Use normal wire to connect with superglue. Works without problems. The wire also allows for holding on to another part of the halberd without problems and thus not glueing your fingers together.

The giant spiders go well on the same principle if you just glue the legs one at a time and use some green stuff afterwards. Takes about 2 hours to build. The chair is a pain in the ****, can't glue it on if you want to paint it, doesn't realy stick afterwards and needs a lot of green stuff on such a little thing. Oh and one more thing, I don't think I got the legs in the right order for the two I build but it doesn't matter since they are all different annyhow.

xalfej
08-08-2010, 21:04
I found that Azhag on wyvern model to be a pain to build.. Also the gaulroc (sp) model for chaos, I pinned every last one of his stupid horns and they still all came off.

~xalfej

theunwantedbeing
08-08-2010, 21:11
I enjoy pinning models together :)
The trickier the better I say.

Little Joe
08-08-2010, 21:36
I enjoy pinning models together :)
The trickier the better I say.

I fully agree, but after the challenge of one completed spider my friends gave me a seccond for my birthday. And I don't like to do the same model twice so I went for some extra difficulties in adjusting posure(used a big saw) and base. Did it but did't like it, now Azhag that would have been a nice chalenge. Well maybe next year.

Duke Georgal
08-08-2010, 21:43
This is nothing a #75 drill bit and a few inches on 0.020" brass wire cannot solve. My Phoenix Guard were a pleasure to assemble.

Justicar Valius
08-08-2010, 21:52
If you have a problem with chosen I'm not suprised, seriously chosen? Chosen are the easiest metals to put together EVAH.

Gork or Possibly Mork
08-08-2010, 21:52
Oh the joys of the scraplauncher. I had no problem putting it together but getting that crank/rope piece and the chain pieces on the side was a royal pain. Especially cause they bend so easy and mine came all jacked up in the first place. The rest of it was easy to put together but those pieces were the trouble makers.

I can't really share you pain with the terradons. I have the old 6th ed ones and after a few wing accidents during transport I drilled holes, pinned and magnitized base/tray and I haven't had a problem since. They went together easy enough for me it was keeping them together that was the problem.

~PrometheuS~
08-08-2010, 21:58
Hydra necks!!! without pinning, you need divine help to assemble lol

Kadris
08-08-2010, 21:59
my bane is stormvermin. While not hard to assemble, if you dont do it just right, the model will not allow it to be places as a nice rank and file unit because pieces of the model will but up against other models and the bases wont fit together nicely. Its kinda like putting a 25mm model on a 20mm base and hoping the bases align.

Makaber
08-08-2010, 22:00
I still have a Screaming Skull Catapult lying around in its box. I've been putting it off forever, I don't even know how to approach that thing! And I've been doing this crap for a fairly long time now.

AFnord
08-08-2010, 22:04
5th edition slann... the part that is supposed to hold the slann to the temple guards carrying it is so thin that drilling into it is hard, and without any form of pinning, you have a big fat metal toad that is supposed to be held in place on 2 very small connection points. I love the way the model looks, I hate using it.

EmperorNorton
08-08-2010, 22:11
If you have a problem with chosen I'm not suprised, seriously chosen? Chosen are the easiest metals to put together EVAH.

Certainly not the easiest, but when I assembled mine a few weeks back it wasn't that much trouble.

Gaunai
08-08-2010, 22:13
Take the old king louen model and shove it back up the metal ass it came from!

Paraelix
08-08-2010, 22:15
my bane is stormvermin. While not hard to assemble, if you dont do it just right, the model will not allow it to be places as a nice rank and file unit because pieces of the model will but up against other models and the bases wont fit together nicely. Its kinda like putting a 25mm model on a 20mm base and hoping the bases align.

Did you ever assemble the old clanrats?

Seriously though OP, have you pinned anything? Used greenstuff? Because basic troops are never that difficult to build.

Lord Dan
08-08-2010, 22:19
Most models come with an "A" mould that have an "A" weapon, and then there are the "B" and "C" moulds with their corresponding lettered weapons. It sounds like you've been trying to glue "B" and "C" weapons to "A" moulds, and vice-versa.

Gork or Possibly Mork
08-08-2010, 22:20
Did you ever assemble the old clanrats?

Seriously though OP, have you pinned anything? Used greenstuff? Because basic troops are never that difficult to build.

Ranking skinks without making the arm poses look utterly rediculous can be difficult:D

Agnar the Howler
08-08-2010, 22:22
Well i'm currently sat here looking at the umpteen metal pieces that will someday make up the hellcannon, and i'm also wondering to myself how the heck i'm gunna put it together.

The worst thing i've had to put together is a Disc Sorcerer, one of the Direct order GW ones, which takes it's place next to my Slann as 'Most annoying model ever to require placing on a flying pole". Those poles can't hold metal up for crap, and i've had to use a load of greenstuff and blu-tack just to get it stood up; it's only a matter of time before something makes it fall again.

EmperorNorton
08-08-2010, 22:26
Well i'm currently sat here looking at the umpteen metal pieces that will someday make up the hellcannon, and i'm also wondering to myself how the heck i'm gunna put it together.

Oh yeah, that.
Took mine out of the box, looked at the parts, put it away again.

Goblin Gonads
08-08-2010, 23:32
@ Parralax and Lord Dan, yes I can use green stuff, I can drill and pin, as I said, I'm an experienced modeler and I've been doing it years. No, I am not getting stuck trying to fit weapon C on to model B. It is just that some models drive me nuts, Flamers are another one, despite blu tac, a vice, careful support and positioning leaving it 24 or 48 hours to dry I pick up the model and "plink plink" both arms fall off!

The new plastic daemonettes, some one mentioned, aaaargh, I hate them, a flat join just under the shoulder? I mean why? Why not just have a seperate arm and a srtonger easier join? The sheer time it takes puts me off building more of them.

My OP was not so much about not being able to do it but the models that are so awkward and time consuming as to not make it worth my time. I have a young family my time is limited I really don't want to spend time drilling and pinning or greenstuffing things. To those that like the building challenge, my answer is fine, but it shouldn't be a ******* challenge for some of this stuff.

jamesgurney100
08-08-2010, 23:42
Shove a Dwarf gyrocopter in your pipe and smoke it. its one right little B*****D. The blades are horrible. so instead i managed to use cardboad cutouts of blades.

Balerion
08-08-2010, 23:54
The new Blood Knights were the most challenging project that I've encountered. So much hacking, filing, squeezing, clipping and pinning.:eek:

TheMav80
09-08-2010, 00:05
The new Daemonettes might be the worst plastic models I've ever tried to assemble. That tiny little surface area where you glue the arms on is horrible. half my Daemonettes are missing arms because they just won't stay on. Especially the musician piece.

I...sort of...have a Scraplauncher assembled. The Rhinox is there, with the sled part attached. All the little bits and pieces that go on that though? No chance. I have the same problem with the old Stegadon. Stegadon is together fine, but that howdah will just explode randomly.

Tymell
09-08-2010, 00:16
5th edition slann... the part that is supposed to hold the slann to the temple guards carrying it is so thin that drilling into it is hard, and without any form of pinning, you have a big fat metal toad that is supposed to be held in place on 2 very small connection points. I love the way the model looks, I hate using it.

Seconded, god that model is a pain in the rear end. Not only that, but the arm holding the staff/sceptre....oh, that arm...

Technically there's nothing really wrong with it, there's no -reason- for it to be difficult, but by gods it was. I tried so many times to get that to glue on without success. For my eventual successful attempt I had to hold the pieces together for a good 30 minutes straight, no joke. Something about that join just didn't like me.

I have the same problem with the old Stegadon. Stegadon is together fine, but that howdah will just explode randomly.

And even if you do get that to stay together, getting the skinks inside it properly it up there with rubix cubes :p

Old salamanders are a bit of a pain too with the lousy join between the leg and back of the sail. And old (old) kroxigors are a nuisance with their awkward arm positions and head sockets.

Yeah, old Lizardmen are definitely not the best of ranges...

Nicha11
09-08-2010, 00:28
The Warriors of Chaos Slaanesh snake mount.
I literally spent 3 days trying to assemble that abomination:cries:

Eta
09-08-2010, 00:36
Oh yeah, that.

Good thing about the Hellcannon is that you can put almost every part together without glueing / sawing / hacking / filing / pinning anything and it still holds together. I assemble my cannon before the game and after the game I put the parts back in its box :D.

Greetings
Eta

Blackknight1239
09-08-2010, 00:45
I'm having way too much trouble with my Metal Trebuchet right now. I have no idea why the thing won't go together properly. Pretty sure I'm just scratch building my second.

Justicar Valius
09-08-2010, 00:53
Oh yeah, that.

Really? Start doing the obvious stuff first, the bareel bits, the big side bits, the back hatch doors, the maw on the barrel and you'll see it isn't too hard ( I didn't need to pin or green stuff mine).

Oh and on my last post, I know they aren't the easiest, but this is warseer, it's like a forum rule that you have to embelish everything.

Triple7s
09-08-2010, 00:53
Swooping Hawk wings, and Tyrion.

Never. Again.

Especially the wings on Tyrion/Malhandirs helmets. 10 minutes or so of holding them down, cleaning the surfaces, reapplying glue, waiting etc.
Swooping Hawks just because they're so fragile and easy breakable. And there isnt exactly an awful lot of space to glue them to.

I kinda want to obtain a Scrap Launcher for fun. Never tried/seen one being put together, so i'd like to see firsthand how much rage such a task will inspire.

freddieyu
09-08-2010, 00:59

Disassembled mine. Had a friend convert the slann to have a floating palanquin. Changed the arms of the temple guard so they now are part of the TG unit.

Paraelix
09-08-2010, 01:01
The new Blood Knights were the most challenging project that I've encountered. So much hacking, filing, squeezing, clipping and pinning.:eek:

Had the same issue with my 2... Yes 2... Thunderfire cannons for my Space Marines.

Zoolander
09-08-2010, 01:09
Anything metal that says Tomb Kings is avoided like the plague.

Justicar_Freezer
09-08-2010, 01:25
Number one model that drove me up the wall for assembly was the Dark Elf War Hydra. Mind you I wasn't pinning it because I needed it for a game. Some Zip kicker finally did sort it out...that was until it fell and broke :cries:

Another one that gets honorable mention would have to be the Dark Elf executioners. You'd think they would be the easiest models to put together seeing as it's just glueing the blade of the sword onto the hilt...well it's an absolute nightmare.

40k models I'd have to say the space marine landspeeder. Now when I got mine it was a few years back and the top half didn't line up with the bottom half so I ended up snapping it in half to get it to fit.

Also seeing as the memory of these models just become unrepressed the old D&D game Chainmail. The Zombie Trogs with the ax/hammer thing up over their head. Those models were a true nightmare. Such tiny little joints.

Duke Georgal
09-08-2010, 02:05
5th edition slann.

The old king louen model.

Those were the first two large models I ever assembled. I do not remember having any troubles at all.

Ibid
09-08-2010, 02:06
Shove a Dwarf gyrocopter in your pipe and smoke it. its one right little B*****D. The blades are horrible. so instead i managed to use cardboad cutouts of blades.

I'm waiting for the third blade to fall off so I can just tell people the blades are moving super fast. That's why you can't see them :angel:

freddieyu
09-08-2010, 02:10
Seconded, god that model is a pain in the rear end. Not only that, but the arm holding the staff/sceptre....oh, that arm...

Technically there's nothing really wrong with it, there's no -reason- for it to be difficult, but by gods it was. I tried so many times to get that to glue on without success. For my eventual successful attempt I had to hold the pieces together for a good 30 minutes straight, no joke. Something about that join just didn't like me.

And even if you do get that to stay together, getting the skinks inside it properly it up there with rubix cubes :p

Old salamanders are a bit of a pain too with the lousy join between the leg and back of the sail. And old (old) kroxigors are a nuisance with their awkward arm positions and head sockets.

Yeah, old Lizardmen are definitely not the best of ranges...

My 5th ed sallies were fixed through the use of pins as well as epo putty...

The old kroxigors aren't too bad. The joints are solid, and 12 years with me I haven't had the arms, head, and tail fall off yet. I prefer them to the 6th ed ones. The 7th ed kroxis are not bad though.

For the posts regarding the gyrocopter, I fully agree with the rotors. My friend's gyros always had them falling off...

Ravariel
09-08-2010, 02:47
Y'all should try putting together some of the smaller Rackham figs if you want to learn about tiny joints and impossible glues. Add to it the fact that the metal they use is a lot softer and nearly impossible to pin or green stuff without having a giant glob of it marring the sculpt... Oog... I literally have no idea how to get my Miari the Protector to hold together.

Lord of Divine Slaughter
09-08-2010, 06:39
Dark Elf Executioners... Oh, its not the assembly part thats hard, though getting those blades on their handles can be a little tricky, instead its the problem of transporting them without breaking that delicate little point :cries:

AlphariusOmegon20
09-08-2010, 06:49
I'm sat here typing away with several of my fingers either sore or still coated in super glue from trying to glue the halbereds on to a unit of Pheonix Guard. I've put it off for a year but with 8th ed and all... that and I have a game against dark elves coming up and I want to use them. But they will be exchanged for plastics the moment they are released! All the halbereds are the same type, the models are in slightly different poses, the hands are modeled on the shaft and its a kind of ball and socket joint join. You'd think it would be easy wouldn't you.... but no, some of them just don't seem to fit, some fit but only if you want a hand that loks like it has been dislocated!

So this lot will go to ebay at some point. I wish I had never bought them.

I also have Scrap launchers.... %%$ me!! You need an engineering degree to put those together. 3 left in boxes after the first one was finally finished and wound me up so much I wanted to take a hammer to something squishy!

Terradons...don't get me started!

Chosen..... nope, back in the box for you awkard buggers too.

By the way I have gamed painted and made models for over 20 years, it isn't due to a lack of experience or hamfistedness.

LOL Two words.

Zap Gap.

Jetty Smurf
09-08-2010, 07:10
I'm pretty new to everything warhammer, but I do have 6 terradons (amongst other metal models) and I must say, I had to give up and get a friend to finish them off for me. Though in my defense all I have is the GW hand pinning device (I'm assuming most here have a similar pinning device), and he has a drill with very tiny drill bits that do the exact same job, but in about 30 or so seconds.

Even then, some of the wings only BARELY touch the body of the model, and that's where the pins are. Lots of gaps requiring a good chunk of green stuff ><

I am in the middle of assembling my gf's hydra, and from the start I figured pinning every single bloody joint would be the only solution, but again, might have to get my friend to use his drill ;)

All-in-all, having some of these models being so painful to assemble lead to me just using the bases for my terradons for quite some time.

Do I want to be challenged when assembling models? Hell no!

What in the world would make me WANT to get frustrated, end up with sore fingers, and be generally unhappy with assembling models too the point of NOT USING THEM.

That's the point here. Models that are that difficult to assemble end up not getting used. What's the point of buying models that won't be used?

I understand that this is all part and parcel of the game, but I think sometimes things just don't end up they way they were envisioned in the sculptor's mind. Really, those terradon wings should speak volumes.

Ymir
09-08-2010, 07:24
I generally HATE metal, not only because it's horribly difficult to paint, but the horror of the assembly...aaargh.

Galrauch. Galrauch. GALRAUCH. The main body is easy enough, it even comes with a hole and a piece to put into the hole, but the thrice cursed horns...they keep falling off and I can't for the love of god make them stick. I'm almost heartbroken by just looking at the model, as the lack of horns is so prominent :cries:

Settra's beard is also scientifically impossible to glue on in a way that lasts, although the rest of the model isn't so hard.

The Tomb Scorpion is also a pain, but it doesn't seem to break, at least. The main join of the Necron Wraiths, on the other hand...dear god in heaven, help me :(

RunepriestRidcully
09-08-2010, 08:13
The new Terradons, I have given up on them and scoured ebay for some more of the old ones indtead, why did they go from an easy to essemble 5 peice model to a fidely, annoying, frustrating 8 peice model. With Skink skirmishers it is not putting them together, it is the painting them that is bad, and I agree about the old Stagadon, I managed to assemble, and the next day when I whent in to GW for a game, some little kid knocked it on the floor, I have not been able to pull myself to try and reassemble the Howdah since.

mistrmoon
09-08-2010, 08:18
Goblin Hewer.... shudder...... putting it together was not that bad, getting the axes to stay in place was/is terrible.

Denny_Crane
09-08-2010, 08:25
6th edition Dark Elf Hydra requires a masters in engineering to complete without it falling to peices.

slayerofmen
09-08-2010, 08:51
i see your models and raise you epidermis tallyman of nurgle.

or anything from the FoW German tank range, biggest design fail ever.

or the horror models

or the dwarven grudge thrower

horrid horrid models, especially the grudge thrower, you now HOW it goes together but you also KNOW it wont

Toshiro
09-08-2010, 09:00
I still have a Screaming Skull Catapult lying around in its box. I've been putting it off forever, I don't even know how to approach that thing! And I've been doing this crap for a fairly long time now.

This one, I've never cursed as much as when I put mine together.

Sandals
09-08-2010, 09:20
I gave up with my first scraplauncher and made the thing out of wood instead. only parts from the figure are the Rhinox the skis and the pot :D

Ronin[XiC]
09-08-2010, 10:07
I've read so many bad things about the Scrap Launcher that I refuse to buy it.
There's also no way I'm going to get a second metal Steam Tank, although they can be found cheaply on ebay occasionally.

The Scrap Launcher is in fact, one hell of a kit to assemble. It took me ages and the help of a friend to hold the 100 parts at the same time, while fixing the enourmes gaps and glueing everything together.

Incredibly stupid kit. But the model is pretty nice :)

scarletsquig
09-08-2010, 10:29
If it wasn't for the assembly problems, metal would be my favourite material.

Then again, plastic can be just as annoying considering the GW tendency to make a single plastic infantry model out of 14 seperate tiny tiny pieces.

I got mantic plastic undead catapults for my screaming skull catapults, the models aren't as big or nice-looking, but they're cheap and do the job and that's all that matters.

slingersam
09-08-2010, 11:03
Just reading the description for the hell cannon on the GW site. Just laughing my ass off. Yea this model is a load of work

Hellcannon of Chaos
Part Daemon, part war machine, the Hellcannon is a massive construct of iron and brass that growl and shakes with daemonic sentience. In battle these arcane engines heave with crackling blasts of raw energy that soar through the air into their targets, transmuting anything they touch into freakish new forms and sending the survivors insane with fear.

This box set contains one 29 piece, metal Hellcannon of Chaos and three Chaos Dwarf crew. Crew supplied with 20mm square bases.

Geep
09-08-2010, 11:30
Some of my most awkward models are the Wood Elf Great Stag and the boar of Gorbad Ironclaw. The mounts are sizeable chunks of metal and always seem to have bent, making the model need a heap of greenstuff. One of my Great Stags also seems like one half has shrunk as well as bent- it's about 1mm shorter all around the connecting edges.
Nothing I can't fix, but still a pain.

Duke Georgal
09-08-2010, 11:32
Anything from the FoW German tank range, biggest design fail ever.

Really, which ones in particular? The only one I had any trouble with was the King Tiger because of the fiddly little fender extensions. I affixed them using green stuff on the treads... perfect.

I have a small issue with the PzKfw IV-H plastic skirting. Again, a little green stuff on the treads where it will not be seen strenthened the model sufficiently.

Little Joe
09-08-2010, 13:57

A yes the 6th edition gyrokopter:rolleyes:. After melting it together and resculpting with green stuff no more problems. Then I found out that there were a 4th and 5th edition gyrokopter that were a lot smaller and looked better. And the blades are in one piece...

slayerofmen
09-08-2010, 15:23
the metal (lead)/plastic track guard/ resin kits of the panzer 4 and the stug assault gun they = fail. pick ******** material and stick with it.

the king tiger however went together like a dream

Bassik
09-08-2010, 17:11
I remember buying 25 Daemonette's once. The metal ones from 6th. They had... spikey bits on their torso, and after glueing them all my thumb started to bleed. Death by nipples indeed.

Also, their claws allways fell off. I say good riddance!

chilledenuff
09-08-2010, 17:23
Gw? has to be the screaming skull catapult.. just so damn fiddly more than anything
Non GW? Gamezone goblin chariot.. just getting the wolves and the chariot together... AAAAAGH! (2 to build, 1 for the 4th time (the thing just breaks when you are in the same room as it!)

Zoolander
09-08-2010, 17:35
Just reading the description for the hell cannon on the GW site. Just laughing my ass off. Yea this model is a load of work

LOL good lord!

Lord Malorne
09-08-2010, 17:43
I'm sat here typing away with several of my fingers either sore or still coated in super glue

... it isn't due to a lack of experience or hamfistedness.

Hmm, the one I had most trouble with where the last edition daemonettes, because of how thin they where, which seems to be a common problem with thin models, pinning is a pain and I get away without doing it on even large models, my advice is stick with it (pun intended) as you only have to do it once (I hope!).

Having said that I will never make another bone giant again, you have to glue 3-4 parts at the same time to make it, bloody pain!

Commodus Leitdorf
09-08-2010, 17:46
Hydra necks!!! without pinning, you need divine help to assemble lol

THIS! This a thousand times!!! I put together two of those damn things for a friends army (he sucks at pinning). I usually enjoy it but I will never go near another Hydra again! GAH!

Novrain
09-08-2010, 17:48
Dwarf lord on Oathstone, bit of an odd choice but the ridiculous wings in the helmet are seperate bits.

Spend 20 mins gluing one on, then knock it off when you are trying to glue the other! and far to skinny to pin.

I ended up using a tiny amount of white tack to help the glue bond.

Harwammer
09-08-2010, 19:52
Oh yeah, that.
That's what I did with my hell cannon too. Occasionally I take the bits out to look at. They don't fit together well. I like to plan how to assemble it as it came without instructions! I ought to get it made now its a viable choice in 8th!

Zoolander
09-08-2010, 20:12
LOL Two words.

Zap Gap.

Really? Here's 4 more - "Does not always work..." :D Just ask my SSC!

THIS! This a thousand times!!! I put together two of those damn things for a friends army (he sucks at pinning). I usually enjoy it but I will never go near another Hydra again! GAH!

I've heard so many people say that, but mine came together without a single problem, and no pinning. Now I regret it, as painting the necks while assembled is next to impossible, and I really should have known better.

Those horrid executioners glued together fine but their swords keep falling off. Damn executioners!

frisbee
09-08-2010, 20:18
You should try the metal beastmen chariots. Talk about a balancing issue.

Goblin Gonads
09-08-2010, 22:41
oddly I've made a few hell canons and never had a problem with them at all, though it didn't come with instructions which was a pain and i built them over a few months!

I recently tried blu tac on a unit of flamers to support the arms while the glue dried. I glued and tacked them then put them safely on a shelf in ny games room. Promptly forgot all about them, then discovered them weeks later when I was putting a demon list together for a 6K game against skaven. Thought aha, I'll spay these and paint them up, carefully took the blue tac away from each one and plink plink plink arms just fell off as soon as I put them down!

Balerion
10-08-2010, 09:46
Some of my most awkward models are the Wood Elf Great Stag and the boar of Gorbad Ironclaw. The mounts are sizeable chunks of metal and always seem to have bent, making the model need a heap of greenstuff. One of my Great Stags also seems like one half has shrunk as well as bent- it's about 1mm shorter all around the connecting edges.
Nothing I can't fix, but still a pain.
That's borderline unacceptable. You should consider calling them and notifying them of the problem. They will probably send you another kit for free.

I'm not averse to some serious assembly work (see earlier post in the thread) but no one should have to deal with a model that is also malformed on top of its natural intricacy.

chaospantz
10-08-2010, 10:11
Might i sugest selling your scraplaunchers you havn't put together on ebay as well. all rumors point to that becoming a plastic kit when the new ogre book is released.

kyussinchains
10-08-2010, 13:33
another vote for the screaming skull catapult.... it took 3 g-cramps, 4 hours and copious amounts of epoxy to get my friend's to stay together (nobody had a pin-vice or drill of any kind....)

I found the hydra to be tedious, but not too bad, I built and pinned two of them and the bit I had the most trouble with was the long whip on the handler....

Spike Fiend
10-08-2010, 14:04
I've heard that the Gnoblar Scraplauncher should be one of the most difficult models to glue together, though I doubt this hasn't been mentioned already. :P

Personally, I think that the Orc Warboss on Wyvern has been one of the most painful models for me to assemble. In general, I'm not very fond of assembling metal models, and I hope that Games Workshop will replace a lot of the Orc & Goblin metal models with (nice looking) plastic models when they get their new Army Book next year.

enyoss
10-08-2010, 18:07
The 4th edition Scyla model. No amount of glue, patience or worship could keep that thing together.

On a more basic level, I try and avoid putting together any of the multipart plastic kits unless I absolutely have to. They're just too small and fiddly! I spent a weekend in 2007 trimming, cleaning and gluing a Wood Elf battalion box and ended up putting my back out somehow :confused:. I tried to tell the doctor it was a sporting injury, but in the end I had to come clean. It was all very embarrassing.

EDIT:

another vote for the screaming skull catapult.... it took 3 g-cramps, 4 hours and copious amounts of epoxy to get my friend's to stay together (nobody had a pin-vice or drill of any kind....)

Ha! I remember that :D. All the more depressing when he knocked it off the table and no two parts remained attached: the unstoppable march of entropy I guess. On that note, surely Baudros must rank as one of the worst you've had to do?

Bassik
10-08-2010, 18:37
The 4th edition Scyla model. No amount of glue, patience or worship could keep that thing together.

Seems to me you oughta get new gods. May I suggest praying to me while glueing?

kyussinchains
10-08-2010, 19:02
Ha! I remember that :D. All the more depressing when he knocked it off the table and no two parts remained attached: the unstoppable march of entropy I guess. On that note, surely Baudros must rank as one of the worst you've had to do?

only because I had to rebuild him so many times thanks to him living at Clumsy and Clumsier's house.... he was dropped from the top cupboard once, and I think he took a tumble down the stairs at least twice..... he's in bits at the moment, awaiting the day when I reassemble him, finish the paintjob I started in the mid-90s and finally put him on a 50x50 base.....

ie, probably never

SweetKhorne
10-08-2010, 20:29
I second the Swooping Hawks being really difficult - mine still don't have their wings on after many attempts, which is such a shame as they're amazing models. Does anyone have any advice for getting those wings on and keeping them on?

I've had no problems with my Warhammer Fantasy models yet - I've started a Warriors of Chaos army and everything seems really easy to put together so far.

- SweetKhorne.

Slot
10-08-2010, 21:00
Terradons... a full day to get two of them glued, pinned and greenstuffed...

I dare not paint them in case they get dropped

wizbix
10-08-2010, 21:48
The most difficult thing was having to find some place in town to park the car in order to get to the GW shop to buy the green stuff to use to easily stick the metal bits together. That is such hard work and all GW's fault as is global warming and the Afghan war!

Lord Inquisitor
10-08-2010, 21:54
Hmm, the one I had most trouble with where the last edition daemonettes, because of how thin they where, which seems to be a common problem with thin models, pinning is a pain and I get away without doing it on even large models, my advice is stick with it (pun intended) as you only have to do it once (I hope!).

Oh god I love those Diaznettes but damned if they weren't such a damn pain (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3233050&postcount=232)to pin!

DarkstarSabre
10-08-2010, 22:57
5th edition Slann. You know, the one actually carried by Saurus. Sure, you could put it together...but gods help you if you actually packed it anywhere.

Or even better...

The metal Cold Ones. Anyone remember how 'fun' those were!

Harwammer
10-08-2010, 23:32
Good thing about the Hellcannon is that you can put almost every part together without glueing / sawing / hacking / filing / pinning anything and it still holds together. I assemble my cannon before the game and after the game I put the parts back in its box :D.

Greetings
Eta
Are you exaggerating here? The two halves of my hellcannon's barrel don't even align properly when I dry fit it...

Could the model be warped? Should I send it back for replacement?

Triple7s
11-08-2010, 00:05
I second the Swooping Hawks being really difficult - mine still don't have their wings on after many attempts, which is such a shame as they're amazing models. Does anyone have any advice for getting those wings on and keeping them on?

Drown the buggers in cold water. Get a sink full of cold water, put some glue on the join, hold it together for about 2 minutes then, while still holding it, dunk the mini in the water. Cold water is a catalyst for cyanoacrylite and makes it set faster and stronger. Thats the only way I could get mine to stick, and remain stuck.

R3pr3ssor
11-08-2010, 05:16
Metal stegadons were hard. ive had the most difficulty with forge world though. the pieces are just so heavy some times.

Clobbersaurus
11-08-2010, 05:24
The metal steam tank is a pain, primarily because the pieces don't seem to have been molded well.

Slyphor
11-08-2010, 06:53
Lizzies are quite the challenge. The old steg, the carnosaur and the terradons (especially the terradons), and here's my problem: GW has people who like all aspects of the hobby, including pinning, I guess; however, these kits should be well-made enough that you don't need that stuff. Getting the metal wings to stay on my Bloodthirster when I was 12, before I had discovered green stuff probably made me break down in tears.

The terradons are my least favorite though, I set up all kinds of multi-height platforms and balance systems in order to get those things to stay put while the greenstuff dried on each of them, wing by painful wing.

I don't have a drill, and unlike a tile for paint, a cup for water and some kitchen roll, there are some pieces of hardware I don't think I should have to buy in order to complete a model. I guess since they brought out their own line of hobby accessories, GW has made this easier, but they're creating a problem, and then making you pay extra to solve it.

Also, anyone else have fond recollections of the last time they tried gluing something small and fiddly together, and holding it for 30 seconds only to realize that it was, in fact, stuck to you instead? Ah, the good current days!

SweetKhorne
11-08-2010, 23:18
@Triple7s: Ahh, interesting. I'll have to dig my Swooping Hawks out and give them another try.

Thanks,

- SweetKhorne.

Halelel
12-08-2010, 07:50
I got so frustrated with my Tomb Kings bone giant and 2 SSC, those models are a huge pain in the *** as they are so damn fickle and fall apart randomly.

In fact, I got so frustrated that I used a solder to weld the son of a ***** together (Note : I would NOT recommend doing this!)

ICEMANQ
12-08-2010, 08:17
Hydra. Couldn't put it together at all. Why that thing hasn't come out in plastic yet astounds me. Best goddamn thing in the book by a mile (not sure about 8th now, somewhat off fantasy now).

Stonewyrm
12-08-2010, 13:12
For my Hellcannon I tried a new tactic that worked quite well. As a lot of you have realised a lot of metal models tend to have peices that are warped making the whole model hard to put together.

My solution was a Vice, not a hobby one but a pro mechanics vice weighing at least 10 pounds. My other trick was a soldering gun (360'Celcius). The soldering gun ended up being a bit weak so after finishing I bought a 500' Cel version.

The vice was pretty safe to use. I padded the sides with thick cloth and left the barrel of the hellcannon (fitted and glued) clamped in it overnight. It only works on models that have relatively flat sides that you can clamp without bending something you don't want to bend.

The soldering gun is obviously a big risk as it will wreak the details on anything it touches. If done right it will bind perfectly as there will be no joint afterwards. Only metal melted into metal.

Lijacote
12-08-2010, 13:27
Drown the buggers in cold water.

That's a really neat trick, kudos.

Zaszz
12-08-2010, 15:11
The tree man was kind of a pain, he was just very confusing looking with his like 6 parts all of them tree branches, hard to tell what is supposed to go where. The old Ghaz Krull Thraka 40k Ork model fell apart on me many times I had to drill him quite a bit :/

Whitehorn
12-08-2010, 15:14
I hear the goblin big boss on a giant spider is quite the hassle to put together, has really put me off from buying one. Sad, as I love the model!

Cheers,
BTB

Keeping the legs all working together can be tricky, but green stuff and pins work. I actually got my drill piece stuck in the abdomen and use it as a stand!

http://fulgrim.com/minis/o&g/spider01.jpg

Most annoying model I've had to put together, and keep together, is the FW greater brass scorpion.

Sandals
12-08-2010, 16:00
oh god, i just remembered - Shelob.

*shudders*

GenerationTerrorist
12-08-2010, 16:05
Slaanesh Boobworm....Man, those little tail sections just DID NOT want to stay together :-( Took me ages to assemble it, but I got there in the end after much swearing, etc.

Then, on it's first use in a game, it got knocked off the table and smashed :-(

Bugger.

Lars Porsenna
12-08-2010, 16:27
Another one that gets honorable mention would have to be the Dark Elf executioners. You'd think they would be the easiest models to put together seeing as it's just glueing the blade of the sword onto the hilt...well it's an absolute nightmare.

These figures you definitely have to pin, but once I did so, they were dead easy to assemble. I use epoxy on all mine, and haven't had a breakage yet.

It also helps when you pin you use a Dremel. The blade however you have to hand drill (too small).

Damon.

jedideinos
12-08-2010, 16:29
I'll second the Thunderfire cannon - took it out of the box, dry fitted it, and put away again for 12 months. FW's Thunderhawk - why did they make the wings as one solid piece of resin? But my worst model - the Wood Elf dragon with the sisters of twilight: the legs do not fit the body, when both legs are on, one doesn't touch the base - it's still in its box awaiting the day when I finally run out of other figures, or turn insane.Shame really, cos I really like the fluff and the rules for them.

Haravikk
12-08-2010, 18:07
Trying to build a Gyrocopter today and it's a pain! Not a single piece of it isn't warped, bent, or badly moulded (the mould obviously wasn't fit together quite right and parts are "shifted" as a result). This has meant it's been a nightmare of green-stuff and Araldite so far. I've now got the body together as best I can, and the various issues are no longer noticeable, though if you look very closely you can see that the pilot isn't anywhere close to holding the control lever because I simply couldn't get it to hold that and stick to the steam gun properly as well, even with green stuff.

However I'm dumfounded by the rotor-blades; there is absolutely nothing to stick them onto! There's maybe a square millimetre of metal that fits together between each one and that's it! I don't know why they couldn't have either moulded it as a single piece, or had the main rotor block with support rods sticking out for the blades to sit on and glue to. I tried green stuff and there just isn't the area for it, and Araldite seems to be having the same luck, which means I'm going to have to try pinning it, but the pieces are so fine I'm unsure if it's going to end well!

Sometimes I really love metal minis for the detail, or how easy they are to paint onto, but other times I realise that Games Workshop just doesn't have a damned clue what they're doing with metal as there are so many flaws that anything slightly complex becomes almost impossible to build! Roll on the plastic Gyrocopters!

Stonewyrm
13-08-2010, 20:08
For my Hellcannon I tried a new tactic that worked quite well. As a lot of you have realised a lot of metal models tend to have peices that are warped making the whole model hard to put together.

My solution was a Vice, not a hobby one but a pro mechanics vice weighing at least 10 pounds. My other trick was a soldering gun (360'Celcius). The soldering gun ended up being a bit weak so after finishing I bought a 500' Cel version.

The vice was pretty safe to use. I padded the sides with thick cloth and left the barrel of the hellcannon (fitted and glued) clamped in it overnight. It only works on models that have relatively flat sides that you can clamp without bending something you don't want to bend.

The soldering gun is obviously a big risk as it will wreak the details on anything it touches. If done right it will bind perfectly as there will be no joint afterwards. Only metal melted into metal.

Blaqkheart
13-08-2010, 20:53
Oddly, my hydra wet together fine with nothing but a finger nail filer and cheap super glue...oh, and time. My hellcannon is on the way in the mail. I think I am going to hate putting it together. My black guard had the same halberd poblem as the op, no matter what I did. One halberd was too long, so I used it on another model and it fit fine, but the halberd for the other model had awkward hand position. Some of these models make me angry, but putting together a WoC army hasn't been a problem at all.

Alltaken
13-08-2010, 21:25
The worst thing i've had to put together is a Disc Sorcerer, one of the Direct order GW ones, which takes it's place next to my Slann as 'Most annoying model ever to require placing on a flying pole". Those poles can't hold metal up for crap, and i've had to use a load of greenstuff and blu-tack just to get it stood up; it's only a matter of time before something makes it fall again.

My Slann still keeps himself together in the air with that plastic poler. What I did is make a hole in the base. The reverse of the base has little round circles, the hole was the size of it. There I stuck the excess of the pole and attached it there. Then I poxied the other end to the hole un the slann. The pole though looks mighty thin and it does move a lot, I could recomend to drill a hole in the pole and put a metal shaft in.

The other I'm gonna do is add lots of putty to the pole and model it as if there's a vine growing to the floating chair.

What did pain me like hell is placing the 5 skinks atop the Stegadon, the stegadon builds fairly easy, but the skinks have little place to be placed

Lars Porsenna
13-08-2010, 21:26

I've heard of some of the people that play historicals, they solder on spears, etc on figures that are cast open handed. So it is do-able. I always wanted to try it, but am afraid of messing something up... :)

Damon.

Duke Georgal
13-08-2010, 22:53

The only problem I had with Scyla is that I broke the Khorne emblem off of his collar and lost it forever

The metal steam tank is a pain, primarily because the pieces don't seem to have been molded well.

My problem with this model is that the hull is not symmetrical and measuring as you assemble is not possible.

TeddyC
13-08-2010, 23:07

This! Empire state troops with spears for the same reason...

I hear the new gyrocopter is incredibly difficult due to the joints on the blades, but patience always seems to prevail.

Hardest unit i had was odly enough metal Temple Guard. The spears just kept falling off. I dont think I was getting a decent contact so nothing was actually sticking where it should. Damned annoying

Haravikk
14-08-2010, 00:23
I've heard of some of the people that play historicals, they solder on spears, etc on figures that are cast open handed. So it is do-able. I always wanted to try it, but am afraid of messing something up... :)
I ended up having to solder my Gyrocopter as there's simply nothing to pin properly and nothing else holds the rotor blades!

If you have any spare metal pieces or metal tags that you've clipped off of something else then you can practise on these with the soldering iron. The key seems to be getting one that is just the right temperature, in my case I was fortunate in that I have a box I made myself that lets me adjust the temperature so it isn't so hot that it'll horribly melt the model. Oh and make sure that where the two pieces meet is as clean as possible or it'll just come apart again.

Duke Georgal
14-08-2010, 02:25
In my case I was fortunate in that I have a box I made myself that lets me adjust the temperature so it isn't so hot that it'll horribly melt the model. Oh and make sure that where the two pieces meet is as clean as possible or it'll just come apart again.

PASTE FLUX!

I cannot stress this enough. If you are going to solder pewter (tin based) models together be sure to buy a tub of paste flux.