PDA

View Full Version : New to Goatmen, Would like help. 1000pts

CapitanMee
09-08-2010, 00:26
I was looking for a fun army to play that I could paint up for the TOFP. But I would also like this army to be somewhat competitive. My usual opponents are all 3 flavors of elves. Thanks,

Core
25 Gors, Additional Hand Weapons, Full Command
18 Gors, Additional Hand Weapons, Musician
10 Ungor Raiders, Musician
Special
18 Bestigors, Full Command, Standard of Discipline
Heroes
Wargor, Battle Standard, Great Weapon, Totem of Rust
Bray Shaman

Also this army is based around the models I like, i.e. not Minotaurs Unless someone can tell me how to hide the hideous body fur they have (I was thinking plastic card armour).

immortal git
09-08-2010, 11:54
i dunno about size, but if you wanted minotaurs you could cover them up with armour from the lotr stroll kit, it has loads of bits, but they might be too big for the minos, i cant say ive stoof them together, im startijng beasts too, in my 1k ive gone for a GB shaman, a bsb wargor, but with gear instead of a banner, unit of 30 gor, 5x6 for steadfast and 2 x 3 minotaurs with great weapons and a musician.

Memnos
09-08-2010, 12:09
Couple of things:

1) Gors are way too expensive. Your opponent goes first and, with High and Dark elves, get to reroll to hit you. WS 4 means they hit 75% of the time instead of 88% of the time. And they wound 50% of the time instead of 33% of the time. And Ungors get free shields.

What this means is that you get a slight increase in survivability when you should be going for 50% larger units for the same cost(You can have 35 Ungor with full comand for the same cost as 25 Ungor. Those extra 10 guys are vital)

2) You have Bestigor. Bestigor are better than Gors, worse than other special units. Centigor, Minotaurs... Almost everything is better. Bestigor, if they were core, might be a solid choice. As it is, they're the worst of a mediocre lot. Don't like Minotaurs? Take Centigor. They are my go-to unit.

3) Raiders are horrible. Buy Harpies instead. Or more Centigor. Or even dogs, if you want cheap raiders. At least Dogs move fast. Raiders have the advantage of having a missile weapon that is both weak and probably will not hit and short ranged. Elves will eat you for breakfast.

Beastmen are a decent army. But if you're going to go with a horde army, you need hordes - Or something to back them up.

I was looking for a fun army to play that I could paint up for the TOFP. But I would also like this army to be somewhat competitive. My usual opponents are all 3 flavors of elves. Thanks,

Core
25 Gors, Additional Hand Weapons, Full Command
18 Gors, Additional Hand Weapons, Musician
Special
18 Bestigors, Full Command, Standard of Discipline
Heroes
Wargor, Battle Standard, Great Weapon, Totem of Rust
Bray Shaman

Also this army is based around the models I like, i.e. not Minotaurs Unless someone can tell me how to hide the hideous body fur they have (I was thinking plastic card armour).

Odlox
09-08-2010, 20:07
1) Gors are way too expensive. Your opponent goes first and, with High and Dark elves, get to reroll to hit you.

I disagree. My Gors shall never fear Elves. With Totem of Rust (i would take The Beast Banner), there is no Elf with a armor save left, save for Cavalry. With BsB, you get reroll to hit agains them too, almost every round of combat. I play 8th ed Beastmen against High Elves, and my Gors rock.

What this means is that you get a slight increase in survivability when you should be going for 50% larger units for the same cost(You can have 35 Ungor with full comand for the same cost as 25 Ungor. Those extra 10 guys are vital)

Shooting is the bane of Beastmen. Gors are a lot more resilient against templates and arrows. Small template hitting block of Ungors = 21 hits, hitting a block of Gors = 13 hits. Also Gors kill more Elves.

2) You have Bestigor. Bestigor are better than Gors, worse than other special units. Centigor, Minotaurs... Almost everything is better. Bestigor, if they were core, might be a solid choice. As it is, they're the worst of a mediocre lot. Don't like Minotaurs? Take Centigor. They are my go-to unit.

I agree that Centigors are a good choice against Elves. 4+ T4. But with Bestigors (5+ T4), you get twice as many models, and a magic banner (that can get you flaming attacks against Hydra/Treeman).

3) Raiders are horrible. Buy Harpies instead. Or more Centigor. Or even dogs, if you want cheap raiders. At least Dogs move fast. Raiders have the advantage of having a missile weapon that is both weak and probably will not hit and short ranged. Elves will eat you for breakfast.

Yeah, i agree that Raiders are generally bad, but against elves they are quite potent. Just having a unit of 10 raiders in ambush forces your opponent to make decisions. Like placing his mages in units.

Beastmen are a decent army. But if you're going to go with a horde army, you need hordes - Or something to back them up.

Yes, and Gor hordes are as good as Ungor hordes. And Bestigors make for more hordy army then centigors. (im not sure if you mean the actual formation? or just that you should have a lot of models, i would never go horde formation with Gors, but could consider it with Ungors)

I would take 28 Gors and 15 in ambush (possibly with shields). 10 Raiders and 10 in ambush. A good ambush can devestate most Elves.

I too would take 18 Bestigors for support, but give them Banner of Eternal Flame, to deal with treeman/Treekin/hydra.

Zaszz
09-08-2010, 20:25
In my experience the power of the elf armies are as follows:

HE:
1. Strong Magic
2. Strong Melee Elites
3. Strong Heavy Cav
4. Eagles

DE
1. Strong Magic
2. Strong Melee Elites
3. Strong Shooting
4. Hydra

WE
1. Strong Magic
2. Strong Shooting
3. Treeman/Kin
4. Eagles

So the things you will most need are a good way to mitigate the magic phase, engage light shooting units, and deal with regenerating monsters.

Try out the flaming banner, and while I am not familiar with the beastmen army, consider ambush if it lets you close in with shooting units, along with scouts and fliers to get to those shooty guys. Against the elf elites in close combat, just bring numbers. They are T3 with crummy saves in general, not much you can do to prevent them from doing heavy damage, so just bring deep ranks, take the pain, and smash back. If you bring small units they will get cut down before they have a chance. Consider a 25-30 strong unit a minimum for melee combat.

The most important things will be to have the flaming banner, strong magic defense, deep numbers, and fast or tricky units to engage slippery shooters. As I said I am not familiar with the beast book, is there a anti magic item you can bring on your bray shaman, and maybe drop down some of the smaller gor unit to up the elite one and add the flaming banner?

immortal git
10-08-2010, 00:06
chalice of dark rain may be a good choice, shooting strong armies all round.

Gorak
10-08-2010, 20:03
I would find the points to up the other gors to 25, and the bestigors to 20. Other thank this I like the list even though you didn't go for a beastlord....cheap enough for 1000pts

CapitanMee
10-08-2010, 22:30
I really want to add the Beastlord, but I like the shaman's buff spell and I never leave home without a BSB. Do you think that Magic protection is that important or could I drop the Shaman and wiggle in a lord?

lcfr
11-08-2010, 05:25
If you're writing this list with your regular opponents in mind, then the one thing us goatboys have that does serious damage to elves of any stripes is the chariot!

Ps. if you want less hairy minotaurs, consider plastic and metal ogre models w/boar/tuskgor heads, some greenstuff fur around the elbows and chest, and spare piggy or horse tails. A unit of Swinotaurs look great on the table.

Memnos
12-08-2010, 09:39
I vote the OP play a game using Gors and Bestigor, come back and report how well he does, then play a game using neither of those, but spend the exact same points on pure Ungors.

Then, come back and report how he did.

I've played with Gors and Ungors. I've never been impressed with how Gors worked. 66% higher cost and definitely not 66% higher survivability.

I disagree. My Gors shall never fear Elves. With Totem of Rust (i would take The Beast Banner), there is no Elf with a armor save left, save for Cavalry. With BsB, you get reroll to hit agains them too, almost every round of combat. I play 8th ed Beastmen against High Elves, and my Gors rock.

Shooting is the bane of Beastmen. Gors are a lot more resilient against templates and arrows. Small template hitting block of Ungors = 21 hits, hitting a block of Gors = 13 hits. Also Gors kill more Elves.

I agree that Centigors are a good choice against Elves. 4+ T4. But with Bestigors (5+ T4), you get twice as many models, and a magic banner (that can get you flaming attacks against Hydra/Treeman).

Yeah, i agree that Raiders are generally bad, but against elves they are quite potent. Just having a unit of 10 raiders in ambush forces your opponent to make decisions. Like placing his mages in units.

Yes, and Gor hordes are as good as Ungor hordes. And Bestigors make for more hordy army then centigors. (im not sure if you mean the actual formation? or just that you should have a lot of models, i would never go horde formation with Gors, but could consider it with Ungors)

I would take 28 Gors and 15 in ambush (possibly with shields). 10 Raiders and 10 in ambush. A good ambush can devestate most Elves.

I too would take 18 Bestigors for support, but give them Banner of Eternal Flame, to deal with treeman/Treekin/hydra.

popisdead
12-08-2010, 22:20
What is the standard of Discipline? +1 LD? Seems OK I guess. Kind of an odd choice for Beastigors.

I woudl recommend giving the Beastigors the Totem of Rust though, then the Brayshaman the Steel Claws and Jagged Dagger.

It's not bad though.