PDA

View Full Version : Army or Scenario First?

lowix
09-08-2010, 16:07
The way we used to play was that I build an army and my buddy built and army. We met, and then fought. Picking the scenario after we had our army lists created.
Reading through the pitched battles in 8th it looks like first you roll to see which of the 6 battles you fight, then you go and build your army, then place terrain,
Im I reading it correctly that now you build your army specific to the scenario?

TMATK
09-08-2010, 16:14
Since it takes a bit of time to make a list, I imagine it's taken for granted that you do it ahead of time.

lowix
09-08-2010, 16:20
I agree it is a pain. Right now we roll to see which battle we play, so that when we get together we have the army prepared. It was much easier before.
Go read the pitched battles section in the 8th ed book, and let me know if I'm not reading it correctly or if I'm just making a false assumption.

GodlessM
09-08-2010, 16:24
You're not. The whole point in the current range of scenarios is to force players to bring a balanced list, a urpose that is defeated if you choose the scenario first.

lowix
09-08-2010, 16:38
Go to Page 140 of the book.
First pick the select roll to see which battle you get.
Then go to the scenario, and the first thing is to do is choose your army.

I really want to be wrong, but I'm not finding a way that I can be.

TMATK
09-08-2010, 16:41
It's not meant to be a strict order of operations. It's just telling you to bring an army list.

Think about it. Does it make sense for everyone to show up to play, roll up a scenario, then spend an hour+ writing a list?

xxRavenxx
09-08-2010, 16:46
I read it as being scenario then army.

I'm not keen on that way round. I think its normal for people to have a written list then just roll for scenario after.

Gorbad Ironclaw
09-08-2010, 16:49
I'm not keen on that way round.

Then don't do it like that. Regardless of what the rulebook says you can do whatever you like.