PDA

View Full Version : What do the Eldar use for building monuments?

Scelerat
09-08-2010, 16:17
Hi there.
I'm planning a terrain piece for my Eldar, some sort of memorial "garden" built in a Maiden World to pay homage to a certain Craftworld's hero. I'm about to paint it, and suddenly it occured to me... What material do the Eldar use to create sculptures? In "Path of the Warrior" they use a transparent equivalent of Wraithbone (I don't remember the exact name, maybe spirit crystal or something like that), but it strikes me as somewhat far-fetched that they would use that material for an outdoor sculpture. Wraithbone is too valuable too, maybe.
So what would it be? Marble, grey stone?

Clockwork-Knight
09-08-2010, 18:56
I don't think that wraitbone is that valuable. They make entire ships and vehicles from this stuff, and it's created out of pure warp energy.
Else, crystals are always good. The eldar are all about crystal spires and togas.

Kage2020
09-08-2010, 19:13
Wraithbone and other psychoplastics, possibly inlaid with minerals (depending on your aesthetic principle), or hewn out of natural minerals, grown crystals, etc. All seem to fit into the aesthetic of the Eldar. Also, don't forget the use of high technology/magic (technomancy) to achieve certain ends... Force fields, suspension/contragrav, fairy wings (;)) etc.

And don't forget "transparent aluminum" (though quite why a Scottish person is saying it that way I don't know). :shifty:

:D

Kage

Idaan
09-08-2010, 19:22
I don't think that wraitbone is that valuable. They make entire ships and vehicles from this stuff, and it's created out of pure warp energy.
Else, crystals are always good. The eldar are all about crystal spires and togas.
No they don't. Only Wraithlords and Wraithguard are made wholly from the stuff, which explains their great toughness (wraithbone is the second hardest substance in the universe). All other craft just have a wraithbone core, serving as their backbone and nervous system:

The Wraithbone not only gives the construction is rigidity, but also provides channels for psychic energy. This facilitates internal communication between systems, transmits power, and enables the craft to act as an organically integrated whole. In this way the Wraithbone skeleton not only performs the mechanical tasks which a bony skeleton would perform in an animal, but also the role of the nervous system and blood stream too.
The Wraithbone core of a spacecraft is surrounded by a structure which is literally grown into the required shapes. This is accomplished by a special class of Eldar called Bonesingers. These Bonesingers use their psychomorphic talents to accelerate the formation of psychotropic crystals around the Wraithbone. They then shape the resulting mass into fibrous bulkheads, supporting walls, floors, and conduits. The resulting shell completely surrounds the Wraithbone core and forms the hull and major internal divisions of the spacecraft. The same process is used to make any large structure including vehicles, but spacecraft are typical works of Eldar psychic engineering and serve as a good example of the process.
Once the Bonesingers have laid the basic structure over a Wraithbone core, the spacecraft is ready to be fitted out. Individual systems can be either fabricated on board the ship by psychomorphism or made elsewhere and installed subsequently. Most of the craft's operating systems are connected directly to the Wraithbone core. The many thousands of systems draw power through the Wraithbone and are constantly monitored and ultimately controlled through it.

Son of Sanguinius
09-08-2010, 19:30
What is the hardest? And where is that excerpt from?

Green-is-best
09-08-2010, 20:01
What is the hardest?

Marneus Calgar.

Son of Sanguinius
09-08-2010, 20:11
Probably should have seen that coming.

Idaan
09-08-2010, 20:15
Living metal probably. And that's from the great fount of Eldar lore, that is White Dwarf 127

Col. Tartleton
09-08-2010, 22:04
Its difficult to make but free and unlimited. If you have bonesingers you can make whatever you want. I think they could make as much as they want given the time. Seeing as they have a lot of time usually, well there you go.

They're Eldar. You know they'd spend an entire year making a statue in memory of one dead Eldar on a deserted planet no one will ever see. Then ten thousand years later some Navy Lieutenant will bail out of his doomed cruiser and crashland their and have his own little Ozymandias moment.

In Egypt's sandy silence, all alone,
Stands a gigantic Leg, which far off throws
The only shadow that the Desert knows:
"I am great OZYMANDIAS," saith the stone,
"The King of Kings; this mighty City shows
"The wonders of my hand." The City's gone,
Nought but the Leg remaining to disclose
The site of this forgotten Babylon.
We wonder, and some Hunter may express
Wonder like ours, when thro' the wilderness
Where London stood, holding the Wolf in chace,
He meets some fragments huge, and stops to guess
What powerful but unrecorded race
Once dwelt in that annihilated place.

Kage2020
09-08-2010, 22:58
No they don't. Only Wraithlords and Wraithguard are made wholly from the stuff, which explains their great toughness (wraithbone is the second hardest substance in the universe). All other craft just have a wraithbone core, serving as their backbone and nervous system...
One of the reasons that I mentioned psychoplastics in general. Of course, that might be getting too firmly entrenched into personalised, idiosyncratic interpretation since I see wraithbone as just a sub-category of the broader psychoplastic. (Even worse, or perhaps even better, I don't view it as demon snot, but there we go. ;))

What is the hardest?
Marneus Calgar.
I so wanted to be the first to say that. :D :shifty:

Living metal probably.
I would actually be torn with that one. If you were to go with traditional imagery, I suppose, you might argue that living metal is tougher (weeeelll), but wraithbone is more durable.

Kage

Son of Sanguinius
09-08-2010, 23:23
I so wanted to be the first to say that. :D :shifty:
Kage

You know, I wonder if you could infer that one of the races uses quick-dry calgar in their construction. Probably the squats.

Kage2020
10-08-2010, 00:09
...quick-dry calgar...
Is it just me, or does that sound like either toothpaste or some form of denture cement? :D

Kage

Iracundus
10-08-2010, 00:26
Its difficult to make but free and unlimited. If you have bonesingers you can make whatever you want. I think they could make as much as they want given the time. Seeing as they have a lot of time usually, well there you go.

We cannot presuppose that. We know very little about how the Bonesingers function or how they decide what to craft every day. Time is still a commodity so I would argue the Eldar are still not truly a post scarcity society, as the constraint (even if actual material requirements for psychoplastics are modest or minimal) is the available time. Should the Bonesinger repair that statue, fix that crack in the wall, make a shuriken pistol, or make a few shuriken catapult clips first?

Since supply and demand of time can be mismatched, this can still lead to an economy of sorts. The question however is what sort of economy. If the Bonesingers just do whatever the Farseers or somebody else commands then it is a planned or command economy. If they make whatever they want based on whim, then that is no real functioning economy and it becomes difficult to see how the Eldar get any coordinated manufacturing of needed items.

Green-is-best
10-08-2010, 00:48
Quick-dry Calgar ( Ultramar Heavy Industries, Ltd xlDCCCLXXIX) is classified as a hazardous material by the Magos Biologis Departmento Sanitas. In case of accidental spillage of Quick-dry Calgar, vacate the premises immediately and contact the Departmento Sanitas Hazardous Waste Containment Center. When using Quick-dry Calgar, avoid contact with eyes and skin. Always use Quick-dry Calgar in a well ventilated space. In case of accidental contact with or inhalation of Quick-dry Calgar immediately contact the nearest Departmento Sanitas Wellness Center. In case of accidental ingestion of Quick-dry Calgar, please rush to the nearest Departmento Sanitas Post-existance Incineration Disposal Center.

By reading this warning, you have waived any legal recourse against Ultramar Heavy Industries, Ltd in perpetuity throughout the universe.

Hellebore
10-08-2010, 00:56
No they don't. Only Wraithlords and Wraithguard are made wholly from the stuff, which explains their great toughness (wraithbone is the second hardest substance in the universe). All other craft just have a wraithbone core, serving as their backbone and nervous system:

Well the description of the Wraithship in BFG describes it as being made out of wraithbone, that's what I assumed Clockwork-knight was referring to.

Hellebore

Iracundus
10-08-2010, 01:12
Military applications and large scale important structures have wraithbone. Do civilian ones do? Perhaps, but we don't know for sure that it is a necessary component of all Eldar manufacturing. The Eldar codices certainly in describing wraithbone play it up as the most rare and durable of psychoplastics, but it is still just one of a class of materials.

Scelerat
10-08-2010, 01:47
Thank you everyone.
So, maybe another kind of cheaper (or less subtle) psychoplastic material would be more suitable for this kind of construction, yes? In terms of modelling this leaves quite a wide room for choice of colours and textures.
Iracundus makes a valid point. Still, not only Bonesingers can craft psychoplastics. I assume he is talking about writhbone, because all Eldar, with the appropriate training, can craft those materials. I mean, of course Bonesingers are just Eldar "with the appropriate training", I meant different paths can teach any Eldar to use a wide variety of materials. For example, an Eldar devoted to the Path of the Artist could use some of them to create works of art, while an Eldar in the Path of the Warrior could learn just the basics to repair those parts of their armour that are made of one of those materials.

Flame Boy
11-08-2010, 13:35
Is it just me, or does that sound like either toothpaste or some form of denture cement? :D

Kage

No, Washing machines live longer with Calgar! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRc1FgKGJFE :D

Askil the Undecided
11-08-2010, 13:50
Quick-dry Calgar ( Ultramar Heavy Industries, Ltd xlDCCCLXXIX) is classified as a hazardous material by the Magos Biologis Departmento Sanitas. In case of accidental spillage of Quick-dry Calgar, vacate the premises immediately and contact the Departmento Sanitas Hazardous Waste Containment Center. When using Quick-dry Calgar, avoid contact with eyes and skin. Always use Quick-dry Calgar in a well ventilated space. In case of accidental contact with or inhalation of Quick-dry Calgar immediately contact the nearest Departmento Sanitas Wellness Center. In case of accidental ingestion of Quick-dry Calgar, please rush to the nearest Departmento Sanitas Post-existance Incineration Disposal Center.

By reading this warning, you have waived any legal recourse against Ultramar Heavy Industries, Ltd in perpetuity throughout the universe.

Store in a secured cupboardorium when not in use, away from children and Avatars of Khaine.