PDA

View Full Version : Shira Calpurnia series?

DarthMcBob
09-08-2010, 18:30
Ok, in my local bookstore, in the 40k section, I came across a book that I've never heard of before, the Shira Calpurnia Omnibus. Has anyone here read it? Is it any good?

geeksquared
09-08-2010, 18:42
First book is a good look at the adeptus arbites. The third book has some cool ideas about life as an astropath. The second book sucks ass, don't bother with it.

DarthMcBob
09-08-2010, 18:51
First book is a good look at the adeptus arbites. The third book has some cool ideas about life as an astropath. The second book sucks ass, don't bother with it.

The only thing they have is the omnibus with all three books and some short stories. Is it worth it?

Tanner MIrabel
09-08-2010, 19:14
Search Warseer for "Calpurnia": there's a thread called "Enforcer: Shira Calpurnia Omnibus" where posters give opinons. Personally I liked all three. They're a bit different.

JaqTaar
09-08-2010, 21:10
For me they are the best works of fiction set in the 40k universe.

They are indeed different from most others BL novels (both in story and writing style), so if you want war, carnage and universe-threatening plots of Inquisitors, Aliens, Space Marines and Chaos, chances are you'll be rather disappointed.

What they offer is a look at the Imperium behind the frontlines, its organisations, politics, citizens and internal conflicts.
Packaged into some nice detective stories. But still distinctly 40k.

Here's the afore-mentioned thread:
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=227872

AndrewGPaul
09-08-2010, 22:15
They're probably the best depiction of how the Imperial religion affects the greater citizenry (and other Imperial Adepts) in their daily lives.

Kage2020
10-08-2010, 00:11
Farrer, before, Dembski-Bowden, was described as providing the "thinking (wo)mans" 40k. I recommend them, even if I don't like the way that they present some of the 40k universe. :D

Kage

Corax
10-08-2010, 06:04
Very different to your typical 40k fare. Shira Calpurnia focuses mainly on the Adeptus Arbites, but its really an interesting insight into civilian life in the 40k universe that you tend not to get in other books, where its all "war, war, war". For that reason, I found it far more interesting than a lot of the other BL stuff. It also helps that its better written than most other BL stuff also. I highly recommended that you check it out.

Orthodox
10-08-2010, 08:02
Farrer, before, Dembski-Bowden, was described as providing the "thinking (wo)mans" 40k. I recommend them, even if I don't like the way that they present some of the 40k universe. :D

Kage
Where do these standards come from which you want the books to follow? I just believe what I am told to, and like what everyone else likes.

narrativium
10-08-2010, 08:38
Since geeksquared failed to provide any meaningful comment on the second book: Legacy focuses more on Rogue Trader politicking than the Adeptus Arbites, and can feel like the Adeptus Arbites characters from Crossfire are just involved rather than leading the story (as might be expected in a sequel), but it's still a good read and it sets up the third book (which focuses more on the Arbites again) nicely.

AndrewGPaul
10-08-2010, 10:28
In my opinion, Shira Calpurnia's character arc could be well served by a 4th novel in the series, but that's a minor matter, and doesn't really affect the three books already published.

Sai-Lauren
10-08-2010, 11:22
A review thread got started a long while back and died off fairly soon after - my reviews of Crossfire and Legacy (Legacy's first) are on page 3.

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6972

Kage2020
10-08-2010, 12:24
Where do these standards come from which you want the books to follow? I just believe what I am told to, and like what everyone else likes.
(1) Personal preference.

(2) Congratulations?

Kage

JaqTaar
11-08-2010, 05:20
In my opinion, Shira Calpurnia's character arc could be well served by a 4th novel in the series, but that's a minor matter, and doesn't really affect the three books already published.

On that matter Farrer wrote the following on his blog:
http://matthewfarrer.wordpress.com/

There are no more Calpurnia books planned at the moment. There are a couple of directions Iíve thought about taking the story but at present itís no more than that, thoughts. I may do another story one day, but I donít feel that the trilogy as it stands needs a conclusion: the most important story in Blind, Calpurniaís struggle with herself, is wrapped up at the end of the book, and itís interesting to hear peopleís ideas on what happens to her after the third book. (Trying to avoid spoilers here, just in case.) Weíll see.

Promethius
11-08-2010, 07:34
I didn't really enjoy them, although they were fairly good in terms of writing; the problem for me was that I straight out didn't like calpurnia's character, which makes it harder to enjoy the book. Some good stuff about day-to-day life in the imperium though.

The Judge
11-08-2010, 09:23
The books have some excellent scenes and descriptions of day-to-day Imperial life, as others have said. My favourite is still the recieving of a message by the Astropathic Choir, and the myriad details involved.