PDA

View Full Version : The First Heretic...

Wyrmwood
10-08-2010, 00:34
... I understand that this is a little premature, and I'm loathe to jump on the bandwagons (so to speak) but I just read the extract from Aaron Dembski-Bowden's upcoming Horus Heresy novel and...

... Well, frankly, I'm caught unaware - staring stupidly and bright eyed into the mushroom cloud before me, blown away by the star-like, impossible hurricane. It's tense, bitter, emotional, choking - especially for a Black Library novel, it's amazing. Hopefully, this thread will survive/be searched for when the novel is released, and I wondered if m/any others had read it, and wanted to share their thoughts?

A Shadow
10-08-2010, 04:39
I must agree, it is certainly a riveting read. And seems that it will cover both Lorgar's chastisement and what appears to be the destruction of his home city by the Ultramarines.

Son of Sanguinius
10-08-2010, 04:55
... I understand that this is a little premature, and I'm loathe to jump on the bandwagons (so to speak) but I just read the extract from Aaron Dembski-Bowden's upcoming Horus Heresy novel and...

... Well, frankly, I'm caught unaware - staring stupidly and bright eyed into the mushroom cloud before me, blown away by the star-like, impossible hurricane. It's tense, bitter, emotional, choking - especially for a Black Library novel, it's amazing. Hopefully, this thread will survive/be searched for when the novel is released, and I wondered if m/any others had read it, and wanted to share their thoughts?

I wasn't quite so...blown away, I guess?...but it was a very, very good read. Aaron is my favorite BL author at the moment.

Ertle
10-08-2010, 05:23
So I gather this is the first AD-B writing you've experienced Wyrmwood? The first time is rough for everybody. It was pretty amazing. Easily up to par with his previous novels and this is just an extract! If you have the chance I highly suggest Soul Hunter and Cadian Blood. And if you like Audio Books go for Throne of Lies I believe it's called.

I also forgot about Helsreach but I haven't read that one yet so I can't recommend it. But I mean it's AD-B for **** sake so it's bound to be amazing.

Nazguire
10-08-2010, 05:42
It wasn't the home city of Lorgar that was destroyed in the extract. It was a city that the Primarch had made 'compliant' by turning into religious zealots.

Any one notice that Malcador was wearing battle plate when he was talking to the Word Bearers?

A bit more fit and spritely then what we're used to.

I also like Dembski-Bowden' interpretation of Guiliman. Like an automaton, utterly emotionless and all down to business. Disciplined, organised and not liable for emotional outbursts. Just like the Ultramarines.

HK-47
10-08-2010, 05:51
That was probably the best extract I every read on BL. I love the way every one is describe, especially the Emperor.

Can't wait for the book.

ThirdUltra
10-08-2010, 06:16
I also like Dembski-Bowden' interpretation of Guiliman. Like an automaton, utterly emotionless and all down to business. Disciplined, organised and not liable for emotional outbursts. Just like the Ultramarines.

I believe that was the tactic of the day, since the contingent was outnumbered 1000 to 1 and the need for a neutral-response was more out of neccessity to not incite open warfare between the two parties.

Lorgar blowing a gasket was probably something that they were trying to prevent or contain, hence the reason for the Custodes (as witnesses and being the conduit for the Emperor's voice) and Malacador the Sigilite in attendance.

Nazguire
10-08-2010, 09:50
I believe that was the tactic of the day, since the contingent was outnumbered 1000 to 1 and the need for a neutral-response was more out of neccessity to not incite open warfare between the two parties.

Lorgar blowing a gasket was probably something that they were trying to prevent or contain, hence the reason for the Custodes (as witnesses and being the conduit for the Emperor's voice) and Malacador the Sigilite in attendance.

Whilst I think you're right in part, I also think that was how Guiliman was meant to be portrayed in general. I can't actually see him being anything else really. Not a jovial old chap, or a berserk maniac, or anything. Just as straight and proper as you can possibly be.

Wyrmwood
10-08-2010, 11:20
So I gather this is the first AD-B writing you've experienced Wyrmwood? The first time is rough for everybody. It was pretty amazing. Easily up to par with his previous novels and this is just an extract! If you have the chance I highly suggest Soul Hunter and Cadian Blood. And if you like Audio Books go for Throne of Lies I believe it's called.

No sir, I own and have read Soul Hunter :). I might pick up Cadian Blood one day, but Redemption Corps looks to be more up my alley, methinks. Thank you for the recommendation sir and I'll be picking up Throne of Lies at some point most likely, depending on who they've got to read it.

I wasn't quite so...blown away, I guess?...but it was a very, very good read. Aaron is my favorite BL author at the moment.

I suppose it was just because I just never expected something quite so good from the Black LIbrary. I mean, I liked Matthew Farrer's 'After Desh'ea', Anthony Reynold's Word Bearer stuff, Gordon Rennie's stories from the Gothic War, Eisenhorn etc But, it was just a shock.

Ertle
10-08-2010, 16:34
Ah alrighty then.:) One thing about Cadian Blood though, don't expect it to be just about Guard and Zombies. It's so much more.

One thing that I thought was a great touch was the inclusion of the title, Aurelian, for Lorgar. That and the way he paints Lorgar's distress really humanizes the primarch a great deal, but still keeps him primarchy.

FabricatorGeneralMike
11-08-2010, 00:50
Wow, that was a damn good read. I must get this when it comes out.

Surgency
11-08-2010, 04:17
Any one notice that Malcador was wearing battle plate when he was talking to the Word Bearers?

A bit more fit and spritely then what we're used to.

In Nemesis, he's the Master of Assassins, so I think the good old Sigilite is a bit more than he appears to most.

Son of Sanguinius
11-08-2010, 06:31
*cough* He's the Emperor. The larger part of his soul inhabits the Primarch-esque individual in gold, but the original human that would become the Emperor is Malcador. *cough*

Just a personal theory. ;)

In any case, Malcador must be powerful indeed to take a full on backhand from Lorgar, get up, and talk.

A Shadow
11-08-2010, 07:59
Was it? Missed that.

I was more interested in the fact that Lorgar actually STRUCK the Sigilite. Bit extreme seeing as he's the Emperor's right hand man, and could psychically flay the skin from Lorgar without too much trouble.

Nazguire
11-08-2010, 08:07
*cough* He's the Emperor. The larger part of his soul inhabits the Primarch-esque individual in gold, but the original human that would become the Emperor is Malcador. *cough*

Just a personal theory. ;)

In any case, Malcador must be powerful indeed to take a full on backhand from Lorgar, get up, and talk.

I don't think Lorgar wanted to kill him. Doing that would have been way out of line, even for Lorgar in his anger and grief.

Plus he's a psychic on par with Magnus and the Emperor. It stands to reason he'd be able to take a bit of extra punishment.

Son of Sanguinius
11-08-2010, 19:24
I don't think Lorgar wanted to kill him. Doing that would have been way out of line, even for Lorgar in his anger and grief.

It's still a backhand from a Primarch on the body of a normal human, and doesn't he threaten to kill Malcador a couple lines later?

The Oni One
11-08-2010, 21:17
Malcador isn't as powerful as Magnus or the Emperor is he? He died on the Golden Throne while the big E was fighting with Horus if I'm not mistaken.

Son of Sanguinius
11-08-2010, 21:42
All of the Night Lords avatars are confusing me. :D

The Oni One
11-08-2010, 21:51
I'm looking for a replacement now :D

Merus
11-08-2010, 21:56
All of the Night Lords avatars are confusing me. :D

What do you expect? Aaron has birthed a Legion of Night Lord fans with his novel. :)

Col. Tartleton
11-08-2010, 22:25
I like the fact he's radioactively golden. Like a Halo. I always took it to be part of his Egyptian Pharaoh look that he'd be golden skinned in a Mediterranean sense rather then glowing, but the idea of the Primarchs being demigods is nice. Its an Apollonian touch.

They should have emphasized this more throughout. When you read about the other's they just really big guys in cool armor with a warm smile and stern eyes.

Lorgar feels like a Primarch. In his own way so does Cal... Guilleman. He's cold. Dressed in the blue of burned off Terran seas (side note this is either a slip or retcons the fact Horus did it). It suits him. He's always been water themed. Poseidal. Powerful, difficult to read, slow to anger, but perhaps the more devastating for it. His tactics are like the ocean, they sweep you away. The sea is constant yet unpredictable. Very Codex.

Son of Sanguinius
11-08-2010, 23:15
I like the fact he's radioactively golden. Like a Halo. I always took it to be part of his Egyptian Pharaoh look that he'd be golden skinned in a Mediterranean sense rather then glowing, but the idea of the Primarchs being demigods is nice. Its an Apollonian touch.

They should have emphasized this more throughout. When you read about the other's they just really big guys in cool armor with a warm smile and stern eyes.

Lorgar feels like a Primarch. In his own way so does Cal... Guilleman. He's cold. Dressed in the blue of burned off Terran seas (side note this is either a slip or retcons the fact Horus did it). It suits him. He's always been water themed. Poseidal. Powerful, difficult to read, slow to anger, but perhaps the more devastating for it. His tactics are like the ocean, they sweep you away. The sea is constant yet unpredictable. Very Codex.

Very well put, Col. Tartleton. I particularly like the Poseidon comparison. Guilleman's army might as well be an ocean, considering how many blue armored warriors are running around.

N0-1_H3r3
11-08-2010, 23:23
Dressed in the blue of burned off Terran seas (side note this is either a slip or retcons the fact Horus did it).
The barren ocean beds of Terra appear in Nemesis as well; apparently, by that point in human history, only a few scattered inland seas remain, and all of the old continental shelves have been covered by urban sprawl, leaving the ocean beds largely as expansive wilderness areas.

Merus
12-08-2010, 00:37
Guilleman. He's cold. Dressed in the blue of burned off Terran seas (side note this is either a slip or retcons the fact Horus did it). It suits him. He's always been water themed. Poseidal. Powerful, difficult to read, slow to anger, but perhaps the more devastating for it. His tactics are like the ocean, they sweep you away. The sea is constant yet unpredictable. Very Codex.

That is the best description I have ever read for Guilliman; well done.

Col. Tartleton
12-08-2010, 00:42
I'll try to keep my excitement in my pants.

Son of Sanguinius
12-08-2010, 02:00
You know you won't. ;)