PDA

View Full Version : The Hunt for Voldorius question

DarthMcBob
10-08-2010, 00:54
A new book is coming out in September called The Hunt for Voldorius

Captain Kor'sarro Khan of the White Scars is petitioned by his Chapter Master to hunt down and destroy the daemon prince Voldorius, a warleader of the renegade Alpha Legion, thus ending his reign of terror across the stars. Hunting the beast doggedly for over a decade, Kor'sarro finally brings Voldorius to battle on Quintus, a world that has totally given itself over to the Alpha Legion. Together with their Raven Guard allies, the White Scars must fight an entire planet if they are to slay the daemon prince.

I for one am somewhat confused. I thought that the Alpha Legion was supposed to be ambiguous as to whose side it is really on. How then would a member gain enough favor from the Chaos Gods to get daemonhood? It particularly bugs me because they could have easily used any other traitor undivided legion, like the Black Legion or Word Bearers.

Plebian
10-08-2010, 01:00
Maybe (and this is all BS) the book will explore that ambiguity. I for one think Alpharius and Omegon have split ways, with one fighting to destroy the Imperium and thereby kill Chaos (Voldorus may follow him) in true Malal style. The other may be fighting to preserve the Imperium because he doesn't believe it will work.

Merus
10-08-2010, 01:05

I for one am somewhat confused. I thought that the Alpha Legion was supposed to be ambiguous as to whose side it is really on. How then would a member gain enough favor from the Chaos Gods to get daemonhood? It particularly bugs me because they could have easily used any other traitor undivided legion, like the Black Legion or Word Bearers.

The story originally appeared in the most recent Vanilla Marine codex and is now being expanded upon; so is the The Damnos Incident for that matter.

I think the Alpha Legion were chosen because the world this all happens on is slowly turned to Chaos through elaborate schemes and subterfuge (this is the Alpha's bread and butter). It doesn't really fit that one of them would become a Daemon Prince, I agree.. but it seems they were set on the "sneaksy sneaksy" Legion being the ones responsible.

Lord Lorne Walkier
10-08-2010, 04:20

I for one am somewhat confused. I thought that the Alpha Legion was supposed to be ..........

no need to go any further. What any of us this we know about the Alpha Legion is most likely wrong. I would trust a Raven guard 1st hand account more then just about anything.

Corax
10-08-2010, 06:13
I think the problem is that you are assuming that all members of a given Legion will follow the lead of their primarch to the letter. This is clearly not the case; Nathaniel Garro being the ideal example of an Astartes who defied his Primarch. Just because the Alpha Legion may (or may not) be running a secret agenda to destroy Chaos from within, does not mean that any given Alpha Legion member is incapable of embracing the gifts of Chaos and becoming a Daemon Prince. Perhaps Kernax Voldorius is simply one individual Astartes who was seduced by the offer of power and (partial) immortality from the Chaos Gods.

WarpWhisperer
10-08-2010, 06:59
It particularly bugs me because they could have easily used any other traitor undivided legion, like the Black Legion or Word Bearers.

Hey, us Alpha Legion fans are desperate to get our hands on what ever official fluff we can do; don't transfer our small time in the spotlight over to someone else.. :mad: :p

I think we'll have to see what the book entails before judgement is reached; pre-'Legion' Alpha Legion fluff has been planted firmly on the Chaos supporting side; in some cases, such as the Dawn of War storylines, slightly disappointingly so.

Don't forget that the 'ambiguity' you mention stems mostly from Legion, which is set pre-Heresy, and does not actually cover the events surrounding the Alpha Legion during and after their fight against the Loyalist forces. All other fluff based 'ambiguity' surrounding the AL is based upon their methods, not their alliegence.

Being released after Legion, hopefully the story will have more intriege than some of those previous depictions of the AL; my biggest worry about this story is that it will portray Voldorius as an archetypal cartoon villian, only there to show off the 'awesomeness' of the marine protagonists.

It does seem that Voldorius is indeed depected as a Daemon Prince in the SMcodex; he is repeatedly mentioned to be a daemon prince, and described as having an 'unholy strength', as well as having a 'corrupted and twisted bodyguard' of Chosen, so the Chaos theme seems to be definately strong in this story.

As Corax has mentioned, maybe there are different elements within the Alpha Legion, akin to Puritan and Radial divisions within the Inquisition.

Iuris
10-08-2010, 07:58
I'm surprised everyone seems to expect all legions to remain loyal to their primarch. Really, we have legions who haven't been able to serve their Emperor for more than 200 years, and you expect them all to remain loyal/alligned to the same goals as their primarch for 10000 years?

There's enough time and conflict there to allow all legions to splinter up. Hell, wasn't the core unit of organizations for the CSM a warband?

MagosHereticus
10-08-2010, 09:12

the renegade legions have degenerated a lot since the heresy

Lars Porsenna
10-08-2010, 13:57
Also another thing: Anyone that uses the powers of Chaos as a tool (rather than an object of worship) ultimately is playing with fire. The powers of chaos corrupt, and while you might think it is just another weapon in your arsenal, over time it gets its insidious tendrils into you. Voldorious could be such an individual, using chaos as a weapon but becoming corrupted by its taint, eventually going over to worship and daemonhood as a reward.

ADB's Soul Hunter demonstrates this in a few of the characters.

Damon.

sycopat
10-08-2010, 13:59
The alpha legion have never been portrayed as unwilling to use the tools of chaos, so the existence of an alpha legion DP doesn't strike me as all that odd. Rare perhaps, but not outside the bounds of probability.

Of course, being as sneaky as they are, I also wouldn't put it past them to pull a man behind the curtain on this one.