PDA

View Full Version : List of non-current special characters

metal bawks
10-08-2010, 09:49
Hi, I'm trying to make a list of special characters who don't have rules in the current codices, but did have rules in at least one Codex/WD/Citadel Journal.

I've scoured most of the 2nd and 3rd edition codices, plus some of the RT books, but I'm sure there's more of them in Citadel Journal or WD.

So if you know any I've missed, or see that I accidently put a current special character on the list, please post their names here. Bear in mind this list is only for characters who have actually had official rules at some point.

Chaos
Doombreed, Daemon Prince of Khorne
N'Kari, Daemon Prince of Slaanesh
Foulspawn, Daemon Prince of Nurgle
M'Kachan, Daemon Prince of Tzeentch
Cypher, Fallen Dark Angel Champion
Doomrider
Amon Chakai
Ahriman's Kabal
Pestilaan of Nurgle
Skyrak the Slaughterer

Inquisition
Saint Praxedes of Ophelia VII
Helena the Virtuous
Uriah Jacobus
Redemptor Kyrinov
Cardinal Armandus Helfire

Space Marines
Ultramarines Ancient Helveticus
Ultramarines Captain Invictus
Captain Cortez of the Crimson Fists
Salamanders' Chaplain Xavier
Legion of the Damned Sergeant Centurius

Imperial Guard
Lord Commander Solar Macharius
Stumper Muckstart
Commissar Gaunt
Colonel Schaffer's Last Chancers (the named ones like Ox, Hero, Shiv etc.)
Gaunt's Ghosts (Corbec, Milo, Dorden, Larkin)

Space Wolves
Durfast of Mordrak
Ranulf
Wolflord Kyrl Grimblood
Berek Thunderfist

Orks
Nazdreg
Zodgrod Wortsnagga
Makari

Eldar
Iyanna Arienal, Spiritseer of Iyanden
Nuadhu 'Fireheart'
Yrrthilien Mournsong
Yarlen Fireblade

Dark Angels
Asmodai, Master Interrogator-Chaplain
Naaman, Veteran Sergeant of the Tenth Company
Brother Bethor - Bearer of the Sacred Standard
Sapphon

Blood Angels
Moriar the Chosen
Brother Cleutin

Black Templars
Castellan Draco

Tau
Aun'shi
Anghor Prok

Tyranids
Red Terror

Imperial Characters from Rogue Trader (don't know if these really count, but I've included them for completness' sake):
Stugen Deathwalker - Penal Legion Major
Mojarn Piett - Penal Legion Lieutenant
Erasmus Darvin - Praefect Acquisitor
Pala Greut - High Enginseer
Corwen Quilp - Field Notary
Friar Yodus Mange - Mission Confessor
Jaku Dihardis - assassin
Tarik Gortsuker - Psi-Assassin
Inquisitor Tharg
Thor Malkin - Psi-Inquisitor
Hernando Jurkantz
Seeken
Tyrel 'Destroyer' Cathek
Potaex Hitsen - psi-trader
Inquisitor Obiwan Sherlock Clouseau

Kallas
10-08-2010, 10:01
(For the IG)

Corbec, Dordon, Milo and Larkin from the Gaunt's Ghosts appeared in a WD with rules and even has models in the IG collector's range...

Radium
10-08-2010, 10:02
Eldar:

Iyanna Arienal, Spiritseer of Iyanden
Nuadhu 'Fireheart'

Blood Angels:

Moriar the Chosen

Bloodknight
10-08-2010, 10:11
The Dark Angels also had Sapphon. I don't remember his actual title, but he was Asmodai's boss.

Poseidal
10-08-2010, 10:16
Eldar had this odd Jetbike riding Exarch from a citadel journal (I think) but I cannot recall what he was called.

Escaflowne_Z
10-08-2010, 10:28
For Blood Angels, there was also Brother Cleutin from the Angels of Death codex. He bore the death shroud of Sanguinius into battle, and was the sergeant of Dante's scout squad.

Socaddict
10-08-2010, 10:43
Mad Dok Grotsnik is still in there.
Nazdreg Ug Urdgrub is missing currently.

Raxmei
10-08-2010, 10:52
Tau: Aun'shi
Tyranids: Red Terror

ehlijen
10-08-2010, 11:28
Didn't the 3rd ed BA codex have a special character dreadnaught? I want to say Moriar the Chosen, but for some reason I'm not sure that's right.

ashc
10-08-2010, 11:31
Didn't the 3rd ed BA codex have a special character dreadnaught? I want to say Moriar the Chosen, but for some reason I'm not sure that's right.

It is right, ehlijen.

AndrewGPaul
10-08-2010, 12:08
Eldar had this odd Jetbike riding Exarch from a citadel journal (I think) but I cannot recall what he was called.

Yrthilien Mournsong. I'm almost certain I've misspelled the first name. Originally published (for 2nd edition 40K) in Citadel Journal #2.

The Wolf Lord prior to Ragnar Blckmane also got statted up in a Citadel Journal.

metal bawks, those last are the characters from the Chapter Approved: Book of the Astronomican, aren't they? You could also include the sample characters in the Rogue Trader rulebook - Inquisitor Obiwan Sherlock Clouseau, for instance. And it's probably not what you want, since he never got statted up, but don't forget the infamous Abdul Goldberg, trader and pirate.

metal bawks
10-08-2010, 13:22
Thanks to everyone for the quick replies! Keep 'em coming.

metal bawks, those last are the characters from the Chapter Approved: Book of the Astronomican, aren't they? You could also include the sample characters in the Rogue Trader rulebook - Inquisitor Obiwan Sherlock Clouseau, for instance. And it's probably not what you want, since he never got statted up, but don't forget the infamous Abdul Goldberg, trader and pirate.

Thanks for pointing that out, I forgot about the sample characters in the RT rulebook. Could you please check if there's more of them, since I don't have the rulebook with me?
And who could forget ol' double-dealing Abdul? ;) I still hope he makes a comeback in Dark Heresy or something.

Born Again
10-08-2010, 16:20
For Blood Angels, there was also Brother Cleutin from the Angels of Death codex. He bore the death shroud of Sanguinius into battle, and was the sergeant of Dante's scout squad.

Huh, never heard of this character before at all. His name sounds mighty like Cloten (Bloodquest) though.

jasdc1
10-08-2010, 16:45
Lord Solar Macharius for IG

Nazdrugh
10-08-2010, 17:27
There's a mention of Makari in the Ork Codex. After living to the ripe old age of 9 he was sat on by his boss. :(

sprugly
10-08-2010, 19:02
the wolf lord before ragnar was berek thunderfist.

Though if you're including stuff from the journal there's probably hundreds. I remember the covertX campaign they featured had about half a dozen special characters included!

Also Old one eye from the 3rd ed tyranid dex.

TheMav80
10-08-2010, 19:03
Didn't the Tau have a Kroot special character. Angor Prok or something like that.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Grimmeth
10-08-2010, 19:10
The Chaos Daemon Princes weren't Daemon Princes were they? Weren't they classed as Daemon lords or something like that? They had stats that went above 10, I remember that much.

Carlos
10-08-2010, 23:22
if you've got Yrrthilien Mournsong (a citadel journal character) then you need pestilaan of nurgle and Skyrak the Slaughterer, both for chaos. There is also Yarlen Fireblade, an eldar exarch from rogue trader, Angkor Prok the kroot shaper,

Lord Zarkov
10-08-2010, 23:28
Amon Chakai also for Chaos

LonelyPath
10-08-2010, 23:29

Old One Eye is in the current Nids dex.

Doppleskanger
11-08-2010, 00:33
Don't know if they count as SC...but the old harlequin Great Avatar (?) and Solatiare spring to mind

ReveredChaplainDrake
11-08-2010, 01:09
Chaos Marines
I remember this one unit of 1-3 K Sons Sorcerers, something like Ahriman's Kabal; they were in CA at about the time of the 4th Space Marine codex

Black Templars

Castellan Draco

Tau

Anghor Prok

Tyranids

Genestealer Patriarch (Broodlord?)
Zoats
Pick any critter from the Creature Creator

Also, I think The Red Terror is supposed to be a Mawloc.

metal bawks
11-08-2010, 16:35
Wow, seems there's a lot more characters than I first thought. Thanks again for all your contributions.

the wolf lord before ragnar was berek thunderfist.

Though if you're including stuff from the journal there's probably hundreds. I remember the covertX campaign they featured had about half a dozen special characters included!

Good point. I wouldn't really count them as special characters if they were meant to be used in one campaign only, though (e.g. like the pilot guy from the 4th edition starter).

The Chaos Daemon Princes weren't Daemon Princes were they? Weren't they classed as Daemon lords or something like that? They had stats that went above 10, I remember that much.

Well I got the info from lexicanum. I think the difference between Prince and Lord is one of power, not kind, though.

@ReveredChaplainDrake: The creatures aren't really special characters, just random "chapter approved" units, while the Patriarch was a standard character. Ahriman's Cabal sounds unique, though, so I'll add it unless it turns out there was more than one of them.

@Doppleskanger: well, they weren't unique, so they'd be standard characters.

mrln68
11-08-2010, 16:38
The old RT books are crammed full of special characters - though that was largely due to the mechanics of the game at the time. I remember a few of the lists where nearly everyone had a name.

Stugen Deathwaler - Penal Legion Major
Mojarn Piett - Penal Legion Lt.
Erasmus Darvin - Praefect Acquisitor
Pala Greut - High Engineer
Corwen Quilp - Field Notary
Friar Yodus Mange - Mission Confessor
Jaku Dihardis - Assassin
Tarik Gortsuker - Psi-Assassin
Inquisitor Tharg
Psi-Inquisitor Thor Malkin
Hernando Jurkantz - Navigator
Seeken - Navigator
Tyrel 'Destroyer' Cathek - Rogue Trader
Potaex Hitsen - Psi-Trader

Just the Imperial SC from one RT book.

Wrath
11-08-2010, 16:49
Didn't the last Online campaign have a poster worth of named characters? did they have stats?

Born Again
13-08-2010, 08:00

No, they were the original Daemon Princes. Things have been ret-conned to make Greater Daemons higher ranking in the Chaos Pantheon than DP's, it used to be the other way around.

AndrewGPaul
13-08-2010, 08:41
Actually, Daemon Princes were always described as ascended mortals. Whether or not they were higher-ranking than Greater Daemons wasn't really discussed; depends on the daemons involved, I suppose.

The 2nd edition Codex: Chaos used the term to refer to high-ranking daemons, regardless of 'source'. It was pretty much the first, possibly only use of the term in that way. I suppose you could take the term to mean a daemon, of whatever stripe, which has achieved a degree of independent existence from its god. That would probably describe all four of the Daemon Princes in the 2nd edition Codex.

Mega Nutz
13-08-2010, 08:53
Black legion lord Falkus Kibre

Wishing
13-08-2010, 15:00
Actually, Daemon Princes were always described as ascended mortals. Whether or not they were higher-ranking than Greater Daemons wasn't really discussed; depends on the daemons involved, I suppose.

The 2nd edition Codex: Chaos used the term to refer to high-ranking daemons, regardless of 'source'. It was pretty much the first, possibly only use of the term in that way. I suppose you could take the term to mean a daemon, of whatever stripe, which has achieved a degree of independent existence from its god. That would probably describe all four of the Daemon Princes in the 2nd edition Codex.

I agree that originally, Daemon Prince was the title for a mortal who had ascended to daemonhood. They didn't really fit into any daemonic hierarchy of power, because their stats were randomly generated. However, they were specifically described as often having their own worshippers and even daemonic pantheons of their own, suggesting great power, even if those pantheons were weaker than those of the four gods.

As such, both the old Daemon Princes, who were more powerful than Greater Daemons - like Angron with his retinue of Bloodthirsters - and the new Princes who are like Greater Daemon lites, fit in the conceptual system of Daemon Princedom, I think. They're just different kinds of Daemon Princes - lesser and greater, perhaps?

Asher
13-08-2010, 16:06
Ah, Nuadhu 'Fireheart' the jetbike-dreadnought; now that was a cool guy! I kinda miss him.