PDA

View Full Version : LA on marauders of Tz? yes or no?

Magister_Ordo_Lyrae
10-08-2010, 10:21
I am currently building my Tz marauder anvil block and am trying to figure out if they are better off with lt. armor or not.

I'm a little conflicted here because the 5++ parry from hw/s is already pretty darn good once they get stuck in (sounds a bit dirty doesn't it;). I plan on protecting their flanks with other units but still even with warhound screening from shooting does the LA make them a better anvil unit or no? is it worth the points? I am only running 30 of them...

Havock
10-08-2010, 13:55
Depends on the size, I suppose 25ish points isn't too much to pay for a significant increase in survivability versus S3.

Problem being that it starts to cost as much as an additional rank ;)

LanceSaba
10-08-2010, 14:09
have to agree here as the amount of bodies go up it tends to be better to have an entirely free wound in comparison to a slightly better armor save. so if you buy light armor for 30 guys you are missing out on 6 guys.

Malorian
10-08-2010, 14:19
I'd say screw it. You are basically in it for the ward anyway, might as well just stick with that and use those points on something else.

Von Wibble
10-08-2010, 14:27
I agree. The strength of the 5+ ward is against high S attacks which remove the bonus from light armour anyway.

_dandaman_
10-08-2010, 14:39
I like the LA on blocks of 30 or less, once you get any bigger, its just a waste of points. I feel like the LA makes them more tactically useable, for say 30 points, you can throw your unit at either a steam tank, or a horde of 130 night goblin and tie both up with realative ease. Its up to you, but more tactical flexibility is a good thing.

antihelten
10-08-2010, 17:03
Think of it this way, you can give your marauders LA making them 20% more durable against str 3, or alternatively for the same points cost you can increase the size of the marauder unit by 20%, in essence making it 20% more durable in all situations (with a couple of exceptions)

Ymir
10-08-2010, 17:48
If you combine light armour with shields, It's definitely a good option the way I see it. 5+/5+ should turn out a really surviveable unit, but light armour without shields sucks, a 6+ save is good för nothing, especially with the prevalence of Strength 4 guys in the game.

Djekar
10-08-2010, 18:14
+1 to antihelten's summation. 20% more models is far more beneficial than an extra 20% chance to save a str 3/4 wound generally. And even if you don't take the points and turn them into more marauders, hey - free points!

Dexter099
10-08-2010, 19:05
I say no, unless you can't find anything else to fill out the last few points in your list. Stick with the 5+ ward.

Makaber
10-08-2010, 19:09
Models costs money, but points are free. It doesn't help that the Marauder models are less than stellar, and you quickly tire of building and painting humongous units of them.

Anyway, antiheltens sentiments are a bit flawed. If the Light Armour makes you lose one less model than you would otherwise, that's a point of CR in your favour the extra men wouldn't get you.

Also, you only get the parry protection in melee, while the Light Armour protection apples against all hits of Strength 4 and lower. A 6+/6+ save is a lot worse than 5+/6+ against mass bowfire and the like, which I imagine we'll see quite a bit more of in the years to come.

Malorian
10-08-2010, 19:19
Models costs money, but points are free. It doesn't help that the Marauder models are less than stellar, and you quickly tire of building and painting humongous units of them.

Anyway, antiheltens sentiments are a bit flawed. If the Light Armour makes you lose one less model than you would otherwise, that's a point of CR in your favour the extra men wouldn't get you.

Also, you only get the parry protection in melee, while the Light Armour protection apples against all hits of Strength 4 and lower. A 6+/6+ save is a lot worse than 5+/6+ against mass bowfire and the like, which I imagine we'll see quite a bit more of in the years to come.

With that reasoning you should be packing on as many upgrades as possible to reduce your model count. Money and look has nothing to do with in-game performance.

As has been said, you might not get the parry against shooting but you will have more models which makes up for the same thing. At this unit size or greater you are simply better off saving your points on a per model basis and instead get more of them.

Makaber
10-08-2010, 19:47
With that reasoning you should be packing on as many upgrades as possible to reduce your model count. Money and look has nothing to do with in-game performance.

If someone asks me: "Hey guy, what is best, 25 Marauders with Light Armour and Shield, or 30 with just shields?", I would say it depends on what you're doing with the unit, how the rest of your army looks, how you play it, what opponents you play, what kind of armies they play, and how many of each army type you regularly play against. Maybe, with a couple of years of intense research and a controlled test enviroment, we can finally find an answer to this burning question, a question that's plagued the global Warhammer community for years. On the edge of their seats, players worldwide await the solution to the ultimate Warhammer riddle, an answer that will forever shift the balance of the game and upset the very fundaments of army list building.

In the meantime, I will accept that the difference is, at best, extremely marginal and situational, write snarky forum posts about it, and readily go for the solution that presents the minimum pain in the ass for the undersigned.

Malorian
10-08-2010, 19:55
What is best setup in most cases?

I'll save you the trouble... the answer is a horde of marauders with great weapons and the mark of khorne ;)

Magister_Ordo_Lyrae
11-08-2010, 04:38
only problem is I play a themed Tz list (no other marks). Oh yeah and I liked Tzeentch before he was cool and the new uber mono-god in 8th :D

I think I will go with the LA just because the shoulder pads make the marauders look a little better IMHO.

Still seems like the community is pretty evenly divided on this one. I suppose thats what you get for trying to get a definitive answer from an internet forum.:rolleyes:

Thanks to all for the advice even if I didn't take it.

Kneedles
15-08-2010, 23:23
I voted yes to LA but by reading the thread I think I am flip-flopping to the just shields camp. They are meant to be cheap and hard to kill, just use the 5+ ward.