PDA

View Full Version : Trying to build a competetive 2K Dark elf list

Valek
10-08-2010, 13:47
So might getting back in the game, with the happy passing of crap 7th edition

Still doubting what to play been looking at some armies, and as i still have some models at home this would be the least costly step in barring High elves with the starter box.

Anyhow lets get to it:

1 Lvl 4 Sorceress (Death)
Dark Pegasus
Pendant of Kaleath
Powerscroll

1 Assassin,ahw
Manbane, Throwing Stars

1 Death Hag, BSB
Cauldron

20 Crossbows, shields
Stb, Muso
20 Crossbows, shields
Stb, Muso
6 Harpies

6 Shades, Additional Handweapon

6 Coldone Knights, Full Command
Flaming Banner, Ring of Hotek

1 Warhydra
1 Warhydra

Don't have the book near me know, but this should be close to 2K points
The general idea is combining the strengths of the Dark elves.

the two crossbow units should shoot as much as possible deployed in 2*10, assasin and scout are for warmachine hunting.

the Wizard is made for character sniping and once in the game make sure i get one of my spells of where i need be, hence the powerscroll (or how its named, the one that gives you total power on any double)

Knights, and hydra's are there to combo attack units. I'm quite aware that they won't break units on their own.

Cauldron, for the awesome boosts it gives, killing blow on the scouts is quite painfull, wardsave or extra attacks on the Cold One Knights is quite handy. Heck even giving the warriors killing blow might be worth it against elite cav or infantry.

What do people think of this?

valek

tmarichards
10-08-2010, 17:57
This looks pretty much like a list I would write as well so there's not much I'd change.

I think you've got the optimal Lord choice for the points value.

I'm not sure Rending Stars/Manbane is the bestb assassin choice anymore, S7 will be nice against a few things but not as good as it used to be. I'd be inclined to go with one with more attacks and Killing Blow and re-roll 1s to wound, but play a few games with both and see which you prefer.

I'd be inclined to try and bump the shades up to 7, that way you can get them all into the front of a 5 wide unit.

Ring of Hotek might not be as useful, I forsee the knights being used more as a flanking force in this edition, especially as they can no longer flee bad match-ups.

My only worry is what you'd do against a Steam Tank or 2. This concern is the main reason why I'm also including a Level 2 wwith Lore of Metal into my army (as well as to carry my dispel Scroll).

Valek
11-08-2010, 13:37
Ok worked on a few pointers, not really sold on the second Sorceress.

here is what i made up:

Dark Pegasus
Pendant of Kaleath
Powerscroll

1 Master on Cold One, HA, Sh, SDC
Whip of Agony
Dawnstone

1 Death Hag, BSB
Cauldron

20 Crossbows, shields
Stb, Muso
20 Crossbows, shields
Stb, Muso
5 Harpies
5 Harpies

7 Shades, Additional Handweapon

5 Coldone Knights, Full Command
Deathpiercer
Flaming Banner

1 Warhydra
1 Warhydra

Would this be any better? the Cold One knighs have more impact, they migth get the Hag graef standard in place of the flaming banner.

Would this be any better?

What about the magic, is death with the aim to character snipe and a highpowered purple sun the approach to go? or should we opt for our dark magic to smite the opponent?

Valek

LanceSaba
11-08-2010, 15:48
From the top dark magic is really sweet just for the plus to your life alone, most of the others are good too. Metal i good too, Personal choice really.

i don't really like the whip on mounted models. maybe give him the death piercer. drop the dread knight from the COK as he is expensive for what he does and the master can do it better. I would use those points for another shade or something.

Valek
12-08-2010, 10:27
Another incarnation I was thinking upon, forgoing the cauldron for a bit more punch in the knights

What you think is better?

Dark Pegasus
Pendant of Kaleath
Powerscroll

1 BSB on Cold One, HA, Sh, SDC
Death Piercer
Ironcurse Icon

1 Assassin, Ahw
Manbane, Rending Stars

20 Crossbows, shields
Stb, Muso
20 Crossbows, shields
Stb, Muso
5 Harpies
5 Harpies

7 Shades, Additional Handweapon

5 Coldone Knights, Full Command
Banner of Hag Graef

1 Warhydra
1 Warhydra

Altough im not sure how to duke out the coldone unit and the master in it to best potential, ideas would be welcome.

Valek

Foxhound_808
12-08-2010, 17:53
I would avoid cold one knights, unless you just like the models or something. The stupidity WILL bite you when you least expect it (and probably when you need to pass the test the most). It may not happen today, or tomorrow, or weeks from now, but it will happen someday and, if you're like me, you'll want to smash the models with a hammer when that day comes. Of course the BSB allowing re-rolls for all ld tests now helps to mitigate this, but then you're spending a lot of points just to make this one unit functional.

That was just my experience. In a reliable army like DE that generally performs how you want, cold one knights are a liability. I'll never take them again except in friendly games. Which is a shame, because they look incredible.

puckus10
12-08-2010, 22:18
I play high elves and shades are awesome. I hate them cause i cant have them but one group of five shades took down my two bolt throwers in 2 turns leaving the enemy hydra to go on a rampage. Whatever you do dont get rid of them.

frest
16-08-2010, 15:32
Standard of Discipline makes your Cold One Knights pretty reliable on the cheap, but yeah Stupidity is awful :(