PDA

View Full Version : 2k 8th ed. Dark elves (needs revising)

scar face
10-08-2010, 15:19
After much change from my 7th ed. dragon list, I have come up with this one:

Supreme Sorceress
Sacrificial dagger
Dispel scroll
Lvl 4.

Death hag
Cauldron of blood
BSB

31 spearmen
shields
full command

10 crossbowmen

10 crossbowmen

15 witch elves
full command

15 executioners
full command

Hydra

Hydra.

What do you think? C&C very welcome.

scar

scar face
10-08-2010, 17:09
Anyone?
scar

NFOjalapeno
10-08-2010, 17:27
I like it, very similar to the one I run. Everything is supported well and I don't see any changes. If you can free up a few points I think the Ironcurse icon (6+) ward save against war machines would be good on the sorceress as it could save some spearelves or even her possibly. I would also recommend mus on the xb since repeaters are not move-or-fire you can reform to any flank threats.
-pb

tmarichards
10-08-2010, 18:00
Unfortunately, now that the Executioners will always strike last due their Great Weapons, couple with their low armour, means that I can only see them being any use with an ASF Hag BSB in the unit, and even then I still think Black Guard with the Banner of Murder would be a better choice. Or unit of Knights.

Lore of Death of the mage I presume?

Shields on the xbows would be a nice touch.

scar face
10-08-2010, 19:06
Thanks for the feedback.

@NFO: why would I need musician on the crossbowmen (not too familiar with musician use in 8th)

@tmarichards: Oh, do great weapons strike last even on the charge now? If so, shall I invest in another hag with that ASF banner. Also, which would be a better choice: 10 more CoK's or the black guard?

thanks,

scar

LanceSaba
11-08-2010, 00:55
musician are really good now for turning and reforming and the like, short version take one on everything.

the rules for charging changed it no longer grants ASF so they will ASL. now the hag with a banner of hag gaef might look good but isn't smart she will die to the wind from a swung weapon.

the COK to the BG is really up to you. to you want a holding killy unit or a really killy unit?

I personally like the banner of hag gaef on COK they can lay the beat down when needed or hold up a unit for the game and slowly munch them away. flaming banner is good to if you want them to hunt monsters.

koningswulf
11-08-2010, 00:58
Also you can now not have both Sacrificial dagger and the
Dispel scroll since both are arcane and dispel scroll now
dont have any special rules that you can take it as well
So it is either the dagger Or the dispel scroll

LanceSaba
11-08-2010, 01:02
if you go dagger get the pearl too, it is an over combo, but for good reason.

scar face
11-08-2010, 08:46
The pearl of what?

Also, how would I fit in the 15 black guard with no obvious things to remove elsewhere in the army.

Count Zero
11-08-2010, 11:44
i think he means the pearl of infinite bleakness which makes the unit ITP so no panic caused by sacrificing elves.

your list is fairly similar to one i am tinkering with:

Sorceress
Additional Level
Sac Dagger
Pendant of Kaleth
Life Taker
Lore: ???

Death Hag
BSB
COB

2x20 Rxbs
Shields + Muso

5 Dark Riders
Rxbs

18 Executioners
Full Command

18 Black Guard
Full Command

2 Hydras

LanceSaba
11-08-2010, 15:19
sorry scar face but a nice unit of 15 will can get up to 270. they are a nice unit but you have to build your army around them as they are a big point sink and only have a 5+, with stepping up they can die pretty fast now.

scar face
11-08-2010, 16:03
Why do people think that black guard would be better than the executioners (ASF banner), when black guard have only a strength of 3- 4 with halberds I think.

scar

Count Zero
11-08-2010, 16:23
they both have their uses, but of course sometimes the extra attacks is better sometimes the higher Str is. with a big enough unit Exec's can really benefit from stepping up. If you running 6/7 wide that's a lot of str 6 attacks your putting out.

by striking in I i guess BG are more survivable vs smaller threats, in a recent game a unit of 14 dire-wolves charged my BG (yeah sily move) and were wiped out b4 they could attack, vs my Exec's i'd still have slaughtered them but would certainly have suffered some casualties.

the ASF banner isnt worth it either you'll have a BSB model who costs 150 points minimum with very little defence and will die in the 1st rd of most combats. For that price you can take another 12 Exec's.

obviously the BG have other bonuses such as always stubborn and ITP and can take a MI on the champ.

LanceSaba
11-08-2010, 23:53
yep that is about it. executioners kill big stuff but will need at least 15 models if not more. the BG are still pretty strong but can hold till the end they are better at killing other DE really or out flanking units, like i said they won't break but they take high casualties so it is better to be 10 strong and have them flank a unit to really boost combat rez.

scar face
12-08-2010, 09:26
@Count Zero-sorry, but what is 'MI'?

Hmmm, so, err-ing towards the black guard slightly, but as you said LanceSaba, a unit of 10 in the flank would be more effective- and probably all I could fit in really. The executioners would cost 210pts as they stand in the OP list. 15 Black guard would cost 230pts with full command. I wouldn't be too sure how to free up 20pts to add them in. The unit of 10 that you suggested (full command I presume) would cost 160pts, freeing up 50pts elsewhere. Any reccommendations for where the extra 50pts could go?

The list with changes:

Supreme Sorceress (death)
Sacrificial dagger
Lvl 4.

Death hag
Cauldron of blood
BSB

30 spearmen
shields
full command

10 crossbowmen

10 crossbowmen

15 witch elves
full command

10 Black Guard
Full command

Hydra

Hydra.

This is leaving me with 81pts (50 from the black guard changes, 25 for the scroll because I can't have 2 arcane items and 6 for the 31st spearmen that I sneaked in for no reason. I would very much like to have another item on the sorceress, but I dont feel that the pearl is worth it's points.

Cheers,

scar.

Count Zero
12-08-2010, 09:31
MI = Magic Item.

scar face
12-08-2010, 09:34
Such as..... what would you say is best for well...- a humble unit champion...

Count Zero
12-08-2010, 09:40
honestly i'm not sure now, with step up your average DE champ isn't likely to last too long in CC.

I probably wouldn't give him one, i was just highlighting the option vs the Exec's in case you had a plan,