PDA

View Full Version : Ravenguard colour question

MJRyder
10-08-2010, 18:43
I've recently been toying with the idea of building a Ravenguard force. Following GW's recent tendancy to alter SM-related fluff I've noticed that in all pictures of studio-painted Ravenguard armies I can find (including the picture on the inside back cover of the SM codex), the single coloured shoulder pad now seems to reflect company, as opposed to previously, squad designation (see WD 276 for Ravenguard Index Astartes).

Clearly, having an army with all say, red, stripes on their shoulder pads looks far more coherant than painting different squads with different bands, but I was wondering if anyone knew if GW's latest approach to Ravenguard colour designations was 'official'? - I wonder basically, if the new style of painting that coloured band as being the company designation as opposed to squad is now 'official' in the fluff.

Any thoughts?

Does anyone out there stick to the old Index Astartes unit colour descriptions?

Zanzibarthefirst
10-08-2010, 20:00
I was actually wondering the same thing. TBH I quite like the different bands for different units in the same way that BA have different coloured helemts.
I'm building a RG army for a friend at the moment and I'm unsure what colours to use.
There is also the preheresy colours scheme which is a bit like how the Space Wolves do it now.

Zaonite
10-08-2010, 20:28
I stick to the Index Astartes colour and squad allocations seeing as it's the only 'official' guide for painting raven guard.
IMO the guys who have painted the GW stuff for the pics haven't done their research properly :p

MJRyder
11-08-2010, 15:03
Thanks for the replies guys. I've been thinking about it, and you know what, I'm thinking the single colour band might look better as an overall army. Are there any pics out there of a fully painted RG army done in the 'old' way?

Godzooky
11-08-2010, 15:07
Excuse my ignorance if I'm wrong here, but is there likely to be any useful reference points in the new Forgeworld book? They've previously included good pictoral stuff on markings for the Scorps and such.

mrln68
11-08-2010, 15:30
8 pages worth in IA 8 (9 including a new special character).

The right shoulder still shows squad designation, the left shoulder still shows chapter designation. Knee shows company designation (varies right or left knee with no apparent pattern). Veteran's shoulders are trimmed with gold.

The Marshel
11-08-2010, 15:33
IMHO, given the price you pay for little plastic men, you should dimply paint them the way you like best. (though i can understand the desire for accuracy)

mrln68
11-08-2010, 15:41
Went back and read the text as opposed to just flipping through the pages...

Primary color is obviously black with white trim. Normal units are showing black shoulders with subdued white markings. The veterans often invert the colors on the shoulders and use white fields with black markings (gold trim as well). Veterans also sometimes use white helmets. The aquilla is white too.

In homage to the rapid production capacities of the AdMech - in the 10,000 some odd years since Istvaan V - they still use many suits of the Mark VI armor that was pulled out of mothballs to replace the newer suits which were lost during the ambush there.

AndrewGPaul
11-08-2010, 22:30
Which, if you go by the old article on armour marks, wasn't even in service during the Drop Site Massacre. :)

mrln68
11-08-2010, 22:40
Yah - but that would assume the GW writers actually read what other people write. Some of the most disheveled background I have ever seen...

mdauben
12-08-2010, 01:41
I've been thinking about it, and you know what, I'm thinking the single colour band might look better as an overall army.
I agree which is why I am painting my RG army using the "studio" color scheme, rather than the IA color scheme. The IA scheme is unique but I just don't think it looks as good as the more uniform "studio" scheme.

Still, either way, its your army and you can easily justify whichever version you prefer. ;)

AndrewGPaul
12-08-2010, 08:32
Yah - but that would assume the GW writers actually read what other people write. Some of the most disheveled background I have ever seen...

It doesn't really bother me. Obviously, the Raven Guard were 'really' re-equipped using the then-newer mark 6 armour. Since then, they've kept those suits in preference to subsequent replacements, which causes them to look outdated now, and the stories have been corrupted over the millennia.

Zaonite
12-08-2010, 16:13
For historical wargaming, I'd strive to get my army colours near perfect as to what they were. In this case we're talking about an imaginary universe with imaginary people-trolls on steroids in armour. Paint them how you want :D
However, if it's "accuracy" you are wanting then the Index Astartes is the way to go.

mrln68
13-08-2010, 00:36
It doesn't really bother me. Obviously, the Raven Guard were 'really' re-equipped using the then-newer mark 6 armour. Since then, they've kept those suits in preference to subsequent replacements, which causes them to look outdated now, and the stories have been corrupted over the millennia.

Nah - they were stuck in some sort of warp vortex and were resupplied with the Mark VII armor from future Admech. They then exited the warp at Istvaan only to ambushed and loosing the new armor before it was made. :D

MJRyder
13-08-2010, 09:55
Another confusion / contradiction I find RE: Ravenguard...

In the SM codex (p25), apparently now RG home world 'has the production capacity of a small forge world, ensuring that the Raven Guard rarely lacks for the materiel to prosecute its campaigns'.

So this begs the question - are RG now fluff-wise, allowed to have a higher percentage of vehicles? What does IA say about this?

Leftenant Gashrog
13-08-2010, 14:34
The easiest explanation for them favouring MkVI Corvus armour is the name: Corvus is latin for Raven.

Excuse my ignorance if I'm wrong here, but is there likely to be any useful reference points in the new Forgeworld book? They've previously included good pictoral stuff on markings for the Scorps and such.

You mean the pictures that showed the Red Scorpions wearing very light grey armour when the accompanying text stated they wore charcoal (ie: dark) armour? ;) Actually I don't mind that as it looked better, but unfortunately the artist subsequently applied the same marking conventions to the Red Hunters who had previously been stated to follow the Ultramarines marking conventions.. thereby making Imperial Armour's reliability a bit iffy.

mrln68
13-08-2010, 15:59
Another confusion / contradiction I find RE: Ravenguard...

In the SM codex (p25), apparently now RG home world 'has the production capacity of a small forge world, ensuring that the Raven Guard rarely lacks for the materiel to prosecute its campaigns'.

So this begs the question - are RG now fluff-wise, allowed to have a higher percentage of vehicles? What does IA say about this?

The IA: Vol 8 entry doesn't get into their home world too much, however it says that they prefer speed and mobility provided by jump infantry, Thunderchickens and Land Speeders. They also make wide use of Scouts.

You mean the pictures that showed the Red Scorpions wearing very light grey armour when the accompanying text stated they wore charcoal (ie: dark) armour? Actually I don't mind that as it looked better, but unfortunately the artist subsequently applied the same marking conventions to the Red Hunters who had previously been stated to follow the Ultramarines marking conventions.. thereby making Imperial Armour's reliability a bit iffy.

Considering how incapable GW is of remaining consistent with any of their background material - I don't worry too much about any of it. Pick what you like. In the case of the markings and what not - both are just as likely to be invalidated with the next book that comes out.

Anyone remember the old school RT Chapter markings?

Flying Toaster
13-08-2010, 23:57
http://sonsofcorax.freeforums.org/index.php

heres a forum dedicated to RG players

theres a plog in there somewhere showing the Index Astartes scheme in all its glory