PDA

View Full Version : Engel's Night Lord Diary

Inquisitor Engel
03-03-2006, 23:40
So, until my Tau army arrives, and because I can't figure out for the life of me how to paint the Vespid I have (No, I can't show you yet ;)) I've decided to do some work on my Night Lords.

Unpainted, I have, sitting around.

2 x 10 Squads, each with a small banner and Aspiring Champion and weapon options.
1 x 8 Squad with CCW's. Made up mostly of leftovers from other squads.
Some Terminators I'm constantly in the process of converting. It's my firm belief that by the time I'm done, there will be real Chaos Termies. :p
A Defiler
Pre-Heresy Land Raider with FW Doors
16 Raptors
A FW Night Lords Dread
A FW Night Lords Rhino
A Chaos Lord made from Captain Stern
3 Chaos Bikers
A 10 strong Havoc squad (4 heavies and bolters)And so today I completed my first actual Night Lord.

Not as quick to do as my Tau, and painstaking to do, but fun. I hope the reward is worth the effort.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/britboyinTx/Night%20Lords/nl1front.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/britboyinTx/Night%20Lords/NL134ths.jpg

It's my first actual one, so let me know how I did. Havent' started on any others yet though.

The lighting is a bit harsh on that lightning flash, it's not that blurry.

MIGHTYPanhead
04-03-2006, 00:53
the lightnings good, but the gold/blue seem to lack depth, it might just be the picture.

the red looks really nice, esp. on the chapter badge.

though, good overall, especially for your first.

question: is that pre-heresy a FW one?

anyways, looking foreward to more progress! :)

Inquisitor Engel
04-03-2006, 02:25
the gold/blue seem to lack depth, it might just be the picture.

The blue does have highlights, but they're not super-sharp like with my Tau or Eldar, they're on about the same level as my Ultra's, bu the overall colour is darker, so they don't show as well.

The gold I just can't seem to highlight too well, so I'm going to hold off till I figure it out. ;)

the red looks really nice, esp. on the chapter badge.

Thanks. Almost everything in the army has a metal Night Lord shoulderpad (got 40 of them on eBay a while back) and I'm PLANNING on GS moulding onto the few.

Except for the Raptors, whom I have no idea what to do with. ;)

question: is that pre-heresy a FW one?

Oh yeah, I don't have that much patience. ;)

Knightmare
05-03-2006, 01:38
Bright gold is not only difficult to highlight,but strickly belongs in Thousand Son territory.

Try the old school Night Lords brass.Start with Tin Bitz,with Brazen Brass as the first highlight and shining gold around the edges.

The lightning is a trademark,so I'd spend some time checking out images of real lightning on Google.It will give you a better feel for how it flows.

And congrats on the descision to avoid the winged helmets.Those atrocious things have plagued our fine Legion for to long.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.Good luck,Engel.

And welcome to the Darkness.