PDA

View Full Version : What color is plasma?

Vox-Grill
11-08-2010, 03:09
Out of cure puriosity, what color is plasma? I've always wondered what color my chaos marines have been taking down HQ's, transports, and monsterous creatures with. Light blue, red, purple? Any enlightenment warseer?

chamelion 6
11-08-2010, 03:11
It can vary some depending on the atmosphere. Lightning is plasma.

ehlijen
11-08-2010, 03:29
In the DoW series of games it's depicted as blue to white, ie lightning. In the Chaos gate game it was depicted as orange to yellow, ie about the colour of the sun.

Raxmei
11-08-2010, 03:32
Chartreuse

CushionRide
11-08-2010, 03:35
lol nice rax, my psp game shows it as blue and white

DuskRaider
11-08-2010, 03:38
I alternate between blue and white, purple and white, and sometimes a yellowish green to white on my models. In real life? I don't think plasma has any set color other than white (as far as we, or at least I, have seen).

Billy
11-08-2010, 03:51
A blue-ish white IMO.

Vox-Grill
11-08-2010, 03:57
It just kinda popped up while I'm as I was painting one of my marines, the first one with a plasma gun. Word Bearers scheme and Dwarf Bronze guns (love my steam punk), I came to paint the chamber on the plasma gun. Then I thought, is it a certain color? Or can I just make it look tight?

magnificent*
11-08-2010, 04:02
Plasma is the color of whoop-ass

Lightning makes plasma

and the sun makes plasma

As an old barstard I can remember fluff saying calling a plasma gun a "sun gun"
so I prefered sun coloured plasma

If you worship khorne you can make it red to represent blood plasma

Vox-Grill
11-08-2010, 04:12
Well word bearers worship all four gods. I'm looking at Hawk Turqiose, Regal Blue, and Red Gore. I'm totally willing to buy some new paints for the most badass looking plasma gun totin' Chaos Space Marine around! Light Blue or orange both float around in my head.

Raven1
11-08-2010, 04:37
well technically plasma is super heated gas, and the color will depend on the fuel used. However, that is somewhat nill because plasma burns at around 50000 degrees Fahrenheit (a plasma cutter) flame becomes white at around 2000 degrees Fahrenheit. So, the color should be white, However, I think that is an awful color and would go with blue or a blue-white.

Personally, a gun that becomes white hot is a gun likely to explode or at the very least warp to the point of interoperability. That is why I paint that spot everybody paints blue-white a gun metal color, because my heat sinks and cooling mechanisms are working and the gun is not going to blow up in my darn face.

PostinDirty
11-08-2010, 04:37

Lightning makes plasma

and the sun makes plasma

As an old barstard I can remember fluff saying calling a plasma gun a "sun gun"
so I prefered sun coloured plasma

you too can make plasma by causing a spark to jump between two copper rods that are placed close together without touching :chrome:

AstartesWarMachine
11-08-2010, 04:38
Most of the GW models have it painted a very glowy green on the coils, don't they?

geeksquared
11-08-2010, 04:45
The color varies depending on base gas and surrounding atmosphere. To get the classic blue plasma you need a mixture of krypton and argon whilst green needs a xenon base. Current fluff for imperial plasma weapons says they use hydrogen canisters for ammunition which would produce a yellow-white to yellow-orange colour depending on the exact atmospheric composition of the planet.

The Laughing God
11-08-2010, 04:50
I like my plasma guns to be purple. However a glowing white is probably what it would look like.

Billy
11-08-2010, 04:52

QFT too funny!

I paint my coils red, i don't think that reflects the colour of the plasma the gun shoots out. It is probably a protective coating over the coils anyway.

AndrewGPaul
11-08-2010, 08:16
Exactly. I painted the coils on mine copper, as that looked better to me than painting it up as a giant flourescent lightbulb. :) I paint the muzzle vents in blue, though.

insectum7
11-08-2010, 08:39
Whatever color goes best with your color scheme :)

I usually do mine in light blue, but I might go hot pink for my current project.

ashc
11-08-2010, 09:09
In the past I have worked up from Hawk Turquoise adding white as I go.

For my next project though, I might mix it up a bit!

Grimtuff
11-08-2010, 10:03
Mine is whatever colour happens to compliment the pallette of the army in question (same goes for Power Weapons)

My SW have green plasma, my BA blue and my DG red. ;)

major soma
11-08-2010, 10:13
For imperials I've seen most people go with shades of blue for chaos reds see to be the order of the day. This is the case with Christian Byrne's armies e.g.

Angelwing
11-08-2010, 10:26
Mine is whatever colour happens to compliment the palette of the army in question (same goes for Power Weapons)

This.
So to answer the question, plasma is whatever colour you want it to be.

xerxeshavelock
11-08-2010, 11:09
I was going to do the bit on the Plasma gun copper colour to suggest a good heat insulator/conductor

Finn
11-08-2010, 11:19
Honestly? Any color you like.

As for the color of "real plasma", as somebody said on Page 1 it depends on the gas used to create it. If you can find that somewhere in the fluff (doubtful, and the various kinds of guns might use different fuels anyway) then you could paint it accordingly. And what they said about flames being white at 2000 degrees - plasma isn't necessary a flame. I recall seeing an orange plasma window (which appeared to be viewed with a normal optical camera, given that the surrounding laboratory looked normal as well) not too long ago on an episode of The Universe, on the History Channel. Now, whether that color might also be the result of the EM field containing it reacting with the plasma, I don't know - but if so, the plasma fired in 40k also has containment 'shells'.

One last thing - Chaos plasma weaponry in Dawn of War is a warp-infused red/pink ;).

LonelyPath
11-08-2010, 12:31
Remember the old Citadel Paint called Titillating Pink? It's that colour only brighter ;)

Hunger
11-08-2010, 12:37
what color is plasma?

Its blue, obviously.

Didn't you ever play DOOM?

Tethylis
11-08-2010, 13:05
Its blue, obviously.

Didn't you ever play DOOM?

I thought everyone knew it's allways green for plasma weapons.

Yeah I'm playing X-COM still :D

Col. Dash
11-08-2010, 13:49
Raw Umber color

wazatdingder
11-08-2010, 14:05
The Imperial Aesthetics Commissary on Terra produces various "dye" packs that allow each Imperial force to customize their plasma to a color that best suits their standard dress uniform. It is their philosophy that a solider that looks good kick the enemies ass will feel good about kicking it and therefore do a better job.

famehunter
11-08-2010, 14:07
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OW9QItzh6U

some plasma cannon action for ya ;)

Tokamak
11-08-2010, 14:12

Except blood plasma isn't red.

Buzz Killington present!

Vox-Grill
11-08-2010, 14:27
Warlock Purple, here I come! :P

Nezalhualixtlan
11-08-2010, 17:10
This.
So to answer the question, plasma is whatever colour you want it to be.

I think that about sums it up...

ashc
11-08-2010, 20:28
Pretty, makes for a nice reference! :cool:

Sgt John Keel
11-08-2010, 21:00
For imperials I've seen most people go with shades of blue for chaos reds see to be the order of the day. This is the case with Christian Byrne's armies e.g.

I'm fairly certain his Iron Warriors have blue plasma guns.

Culven
11-08-2010, 23:53
Personally, a gun that becomes white hot is a gun likely to explode or at the very least warp to the point of interoperability. That is why I paint that spot everybody paints blue-white a gun metal color, because my heat sinks and cooling mechanisms are working and the gun is not going to blow up in my darn face.
This is my thinking as well. IMHO, those are either cooling fins or magnetic constriction coils. Either way, it would be bad if the plasma was coming through them. On my plasma weapons, I paint the coils metallic as well as the end of the barrel. I then add some blue and yellow metallic to make it look like the metal has been heated and discoloured as well as a little soot at the end of the barrel.

As to the colour of plasma, I tend to think that it is the colour of stars, varying with temperature from brown (coolest) through red, orange, yellow, and white to a bluish-white.

Commisar M91
12-08-2010, 00:30
at the risk of killing the fun mood here, from a physics perpective plasma is a superheated ionised gas so it would differ pased on the gasses of the planets atmosphere. but GRIMDARK and physics are two sections of a venn diagram that never intersect..............

carlisimo
12-08-2010, 05:44
Stars are plasma, so as Culven said, any color that stars come in is valid. But I always thought a real-life plasma gun would act more like a 40k meltagun. I don't know how you'd fire a "projectile" of plasma that didn't just cool down and disperse in the atmosphere.

Hellebore
12-08-2010, 05:55
Plasma guns use hydrogen flasks according to the background.

Hellebore

AndrewGPaul
12-08-2010, 08:26
Culven, that was my thinking. I did mine in a copper colour for some visual interest, but even then, I assume the coils would 'actually' have insulation and armour.

On the other hand, if they're cooling coils, not the magnetic containment coils, then having them be copper- or gold-coated makes sense. Hooray, I've convinced myself. :)

Merus
12-08-2010, 09:47
Except blood plasma isn't red.

Buzz Killington present!

/salute

Fine work.

Raven1
12-08-2010, 14:18
at the risk of killing the fun mood here, from a physics perpective plasma is a superheated ionised gas so it would differ pased on the gasses of the planets atmosphere. but GRIMDARK and physics are two sections of a venn diagram that never intersect..............

exactly...however at those temperatures I think it would become very close in color being a whitish

Stars are plasma, so as Culven said, any color that stars come in is valid. But I always thought a real-life plasma gun would act more like a 40k meltagun. I don't know how you'd fire a "projectile" of plasma that didn't just cool down and disperse in the atmosphere.

You don't it is the gas in a normal fire arm that projects the bullet out the barrel so in a high-velocity rifle under normal conditions it is roughly 3600ft/s. A plasma gun would use plasma to project the bullet it being many times hotter you could probably reach 2 to 3 times the velocity which would turn the bullet white hot and it would become even more dangerous than it already is...so a plasma gun at str7 ap2 and possibly blowing up in your face is fairly accurate. Until it actually shoots plasma, shooting plasma doesn't make sense it would be like running on the battlefield with a plasma cutter (which would have it's own uses)

Culven, that was my thinking. I did mine in a copper colour for some visual interest, but even then, I assume the coils would 'actually' have insulation and armour.

On the other hand, if they're cooling coils, not the magnetic containment coils, then having them be copper- or gold-coated makes sense. Hooray, I've convinced myself. :)

QFT, leaking plasma would likely kill the operator. This also why plasma guns are so dangerous. Effective cooling would be very difficult even at the vehicle level, and at the man-portable level nearly impossible (given todays standards, although it would seems 40k hasn't figured it out either)

Commissar Davis
12-08-2010, 14:52
Until it actually shoots plasma, shooting plasma doesn't make sense I don't know, if its like a solar flare from the sun, it is really going to spoil your day.

I also get the impression that they are cooling coils, though I have done a pink highlight on mine to give the look that the coils are hot.

gwarsh41
12-08-2010, 14:57
Plasma is the color of gets hot...

I always thought of melta guns shooting a blob of lava, and plasma guns working similar to the ones in mech warrior 3, strange blue orbs. Then I learned melta is a beam, and plasma is a blob. So Plasma is superheated molasses, or even better, JELLO!

So to answer your question, plasma is the color of JELLO.

Eldoriath
12-08-2010, 15:28
I think the blue-ish could be the official, but I tend to go for purple since I like that color more on plasma =)

AndrewGPaul
12-08-2010, 17:48
You don't it is the gas in a normal fire arm that projects the bullet out the barrel so in a high-velocity rifle under normal conditions it is roughly 3600ft/s. A plasma gun would use plasma to project the bullet it being many times hotter you could probably reach 2 to 3 times the velocity which would turn the bullet white hot and it would become even more dangerous than it already is...so a plasma gun at str7 ap2 and possibly blowing up in your face is fairly accurate. Until it actually shoots plasma, shooting plasma doesn't make sense it would be like running on the battlefield with a plasma cutter (which would have it's own uses)

Er ... no. There's nothing anywhere that says plasma guns use plasma to fire solid bullets. They fire 'packets' of plasma than somehow retain confinement until they impact the target, at which point the kinetic and thermal energy of the plasma packet causes damage.

Yes, it's physically impossible. No, no-one cares. It's 40K.

TeddyC
12-08-2010, 19:36
I always say that plasma would be white hot.... could be anything. I prefer seeing it neon coloured. blues and greens tend to work best, just my opinion

stroller
12-08-2010, 19:49
Octarine. It's not science; it's magic....

Commisar M91
12-08-2010, 19:52
like iv said its colour is all gonna depend on the element being ionised (most likely hydrogen though). But in regards to how its fired, if the gun creates an EM field, a ball of plasma could be launched for as far as the field holds. Thats how all the tocomachs work to create fussion

AndrewGPaul
12-08-2010, 20:05
Tokamak. Fusion. The difference there is, there's no real way to create a 'tube' of magnetic field which propagates in free space. You'll note that fusion reactors tend not to have holes at the end. :)

Raven1
12-08-2010, 20:17
Er ... no. There's nothing anywhere that says plasma guns use plasma to fire solid bullets. They fire
'packets' of plasma than somehow retain confinement until they impact the target, at which point the kinetic and thermal energy of the plasma packet causes damage.

Im talking if someone were to build a plasma gun in the real world which would be possible it would fire solid projectile like a traditional rifle, although given the extreme energy and heat it would probably impact more like a shape charge, as a white hot solid possibly liquid which at that point a man portable rifle could disable/destroy an apc or light tank.

Although you are correct according to the fluff it shoots plasma which is this sort of amporpheus thing. Plasma contained in a sort of containment field or what have you would be seriously cost ineffective and anything that could keep plasma together would also probably shield the target from any damage as anything less stable would break apart in the barrel or in flight.

That being said the rule of cool prevails and it's not just some sick super rifle its a defies physics gun.

That being said I prefer a man portable rail gun, you could get the same velocity and energy with a far safer to the operator weapon.

Commisar M91
12-08-2010, 20:18
in the grim dark future of the 41st millenium there is only grammer nazis. :) :) Once again we're talking about a man portable gun that fires small suns and has no visable power source. Realisim went out the window at hello lol. I'm only trying to fill in the blanks

mrln68
12-08-2010, 20:48
Plasma not fusion - there is a huge difference. Remember back to grade school physics guys, plasma is just another state of matter - solid, liquid, gas, plasma. It is highly energized but it does not equal fusion.

Long time ago in a galaxy far, far away I used to work in a lab that used Plasma Ashers (http://jepspectro.com/htm/plasma-asher.htm) (not the ones we used but it gives an idea of the construction and color of plasma in an Oxygen rich environment) to remove organic materials from samples. The plasma is neither hard to contain nor did it need an extremely large energy source (most the units we used were under 100 watts). The plasma was generated via RF within the plasma chamber...so it could be simply a really powerful directional antenna that ignites the air on its way to the target (sort of like various pulse weapons in other sci-fi) - effectively an RF beam weapon.

You can already focus RF using waveguides and similar constructs - though the range would be relatively short before attenuation made the power of the RF signal incapable of maintaining a plasma "ball". You can also use compressed gases to transmit the plasma away from the source (see Plasma Cutters in RW practice). The one I have is able to cut through steel from about 1" away - in the 39,000 some odd years between now and then, I am sure they could work out a more efficient way of dealing with that.

BTW - if memory serves me correctly - Hydrogen plasma is purple. So if fluff says compressed hydrogen is used to fuel them...purple plasma would be what you get. Likely it would use the gas to propel the energy (in the form of plasma) and allow their to be fewer environmental variables of using the native atmosphere.

That said - I don't think GW actually put that much thought into things. Paint it how you like. Justify plasma weapons how you like. Or don't...it is fine either way.

AndrewGPaul
12-08-2010, 21:23
Plasma not fusion - there is a huge difference. Remember back to grade school physics guys

True enough, but this is 40K, not reality. Plasma weapons fire fusing-hot ... stuff, and plasma grenades create self-sustaining fusion reactions in open air. trying to explain 40K plasma weapons in terms of real science is fruitless. :)

StormWulfen
12-08-2010, 22:13
On my Space Wolves I paint the plasma bright green (because it looks cool)
On my Iron Warriors its purple (warp plasma :p)
On my death guard its a sort of sickly green colour (mmm tasty Nurgle :D)
Dunno what I'm gonna do my Guard plasma yet.

Sgt John Keel
12-08-2010, 22:35
Er ... no. There's nothing anywhere that says plasma guns use plasma to fire solid bullets. They fire 'packets' of plasma than somehow retain confinement until they impact the target, at which point the kinetic and thermal energy of the plasma packet causes damage.

I'm unsure, but I have a distinct memory that the lower "muzzle" on the plasma weapons is a laser which creates a tunnel through the atmosphere acting as some sort of "waveguide" for the plasma.

And maybe a bit of hand-waving.

GrogDaTyrant
13-08-2010, 00:47
Look at Lightning, the Sun, and the various colors of Stars for ideas as to what Plasma looks like. The sun especially, considering the fundamental theory behind plasma-weaponry uses the same base principles (being hydrogen-based).

OoieGooie
13-08-2010, 02:02
zappyness
Here is some "plasma" for ya...

Finn
13-08-2010, 02:55
zappyness
Here is some "plasma" for ya...

:eek: That picture on the left is getting saved for "reference" doing my lightning schemes.

carlisimo
13-08-2010, 08:00
Plasma not fusion

Doesn't fusion require temperatures high enough to turn anything into plasma?

AndrewGPaul
13-08-2010, 08:38
It might do, but plasma doesn't necessarily require fusion.

mrln68
13-08-2010, 08:50
No.

Simply adding heat does not create plasma, and not all plasmas are hot.

FrankieKhainor
13-08-2010, 09:52
Generally a whitish-green or -blue.

kickthetv643
28-08-2010, 17:38
well i watched a future weapons on discovery channel and they have a working plasma charged weapon prototype and that fires almost lightning like bolts. was blue/white in color. looked hella cool.

dala_karn
28-08-2010, 20:47
whatever colour you want it to be, DOW had blue for SMs and Purple for CSM so it really just depends on what you like.

x-esiv-4c
28-08-2010, 21:00
Ionized gas. Meh, depends on the gas I suppose.

knightime98
28-08-2010, 21:12
The color is Pink!

Archangel_Ruined
28-08-2010, 21:56
My marines have pink plasma but on a technical level I believe it's white. The energy levels involved can only lead to white hot death raining down on mine enemies... (Let's not go into the colours of stars, they're really quite different to electromagnetically contained plasma death, I'm thinking fusion generators here)

mrln68
29-08-2010, 00:23
My marines have pink plasma but on a technical level I believe it's white. The energy levels involved can only lead to white hot death raining down on mine enemies... (Let's not go into the colours of stars, they're really quite different to electromagnetically contained plasma death, I'm thinking fusion generators here)

You can think what you like - it has been shown several times that the plasma is based on the gas which becomes plasma...temperature is not an issue. Hydrogen fuel cells lead to purple plasma. Other gases are different colors though (maybe Eldar use Nitrogen which is more pink...or oxygen which is more blue...). On a technical level of course.

kickthetv643
29-08-2010, 11:00
color it star trek warp core blue.