PDA

View Full Version : Dwarfs with Pistols

Donnie Darko
11-08-2010, 04:22
I was wondering if anyone else would like to see Dwarf Warriors with the option of taking a pistol instead of a GW.

They don't 'need' more shooting, but for a race that invented black powder weapons and have the best hand guns in the game, it seems odd that only characters can take pistols.

I think it would be a fairly fluffy and balanced unit. Either effective offensively by being wide and shallow with their pistol attacks, or still decently defensive ranked with HW and Shield.

I'd also personally take one unit that was allowed to upgrade to skirmish with a brace of pistols.

BlackViper
11-08-2010, 14:08
I haven't played 8th ed yet, so I've no idea how well the dwarfs are fairing at the moment. Generally I think they're competitive, but as a long-term dwarf player my main gripe is with the relative lack of variety in the army.

I'd rather see dwarf warriors have an option to take throwing axes, reducing the need for crossbows / handguns and thereby reducing the static gunline... Although the relative increase in speed that 8th ed introduces may have addressed this to an extent.

I would like to see a unit (not warriors) who have access to a pistol (or two). It has occured to me in the past that it could be an option for thunderers to exchange their handgun for a brace of pistols... although I'm not sure if this would play well the increased variety might be interesting.

smithers
11-08-2010, 15:09
I think Dwarfs have all the shooting they need and like the other poster said, some more variety with regard to infantry would be good.

Specifically I'd like to see infantry tactics introduced so that for example Ironbreakers can form a shield wall instead of moving, Longbeards can dig in, etc...

Urgat
11-08-2010, 15:40
You want infantry tactics, or bonuses for not moving? :p

Murdoch
11-08-2010, 16:10
You want infantry tactics, or bonuses for not moving? :p

One and the same for dwarves ;)

We don't need more blackpowder, what we need is to be allowed to choose which weapon we wield as opposed to having to use the great weapon... That is possibly my only lament about 8th and dwarves... oh and maybe a ward save for our artillery :D

Lord of Divine Slaughter
11-08-2010, 16:42
Dwarfs do have the option for pistols, Long Drongs Slayer Pirates :D

Grimstonefire
11-08-2010, 16:53
Imo certain weapons are like when the officers used to have swords. For most Dwarfs the pistol is like this, a sign of their rank. Perhaps a gift from their King.

Additional hand weapons (with option for characters to rune up), now we're talking.

Barbarossa
11-08-2010, 16:53
A first step would be to give every character and maybe champions a free pistol. It won't be much of a game changer, but it will bring the "we got gunpowder" point across.

As for whole units... wasn't there a unit of them in 3rd Ed with hand weapon and pistol? Dragon Company or something like that.

EDIT: A-ha! http://www.solegends.com/citrr/rrd06ulthers.htm

Kneedles
11-08-2010, 17:39
A unit that fights with pistol and hand weapon would be awesome, maybe as an upgrade to a thunderers unit (like rangers from quarrelers).
Although probably not worth 14 or 15 pts a model.

I am of the opinion that warriors should be able to be issued throwing axes as well.

Kulgur
11-08-2010, 17:43
Dwarfs do have the option for pistols, Long Drongs Slayer Pirates :D

QFT, get some Long Drong's Slayer Pirates in there. Every model has a brace of pistols.

m1s1n
11-08-2010, 17:50
As has already been pointed out, I don't know if Dwarfs need more excuses not to move. I see the logic behind the idea, I just don't think there is need for a unit of warriors with range--especially if the cost to play is high.

BlackViper
11-08-2010, 22:12
Well, my thinking was that increased use of throwing axes and pistols means that dwarfs can move into combat whilst using short-ranged, mobile firepower to ensure that their opponent don't just run rings around them and shoot (as has happend to me on occasion). Thus, the army becomes more dynamic and more combat oriented

The fact that cross-bows and guns are both move or fire increases the static tendency of a dwarf army rather than reducing it. A GW employee once heartily bitched at me that move and fire guns (5th ed army book) were broken, but he didn't seem to understand that MOVING discouraged gun-lining.

Donnie Darko
11-08-2010, 22:51
I was actually thinking more in keeping with the feel of the army being the viking/highlander(celtic) split.

http://www.tartansauthority.com/highland-dress/highland-weapons
See section on pistols.

It wouldn't really increase the fire power of the army over all, since 12" is now within everyone's charge range, no one has to stand and eat it for a turn or two.

Of all the ways of adding diversity to the army I like pistols over spears or what not.

And I don't see how this would reduce their movement. It would generally encourage maneuvers since pistols don't suffer from moving.

As to throwing axes, ok I guess, but the rangers can already have them and I don't want to take away that uniqueness.

rodmillard
12-08-2010, 16:37
QFT, get some Long Drong's Slayer Pirates in there. Every model has a brace of pistols.

Quite a few more than a brace, actually :D Currently I have both Long Drongs and a goblin hewer in my dwarf collection, and I'm tempted to see how they fare in 8th.

Brace of pistols is already an upgrade for thunderer champs and engineers, so I suppose the logical next step would be to have an entire unit upgradable (probably do it as 0-1, like rangers, or 1 unit of pistoliers for every unit of normal thunderers, like longbeards). Personally, though, I would be happy if they just let dwarf heroes get the bonus attack from a pistol while using a rune weapon...

GodlessM
12-08-2010, 16:53
The answer is simply no. They are powerful enough in this edition.

Donnie Darko
12-08-2010, 19:48
Odd that so many people think that adding pistols would improve their power rating...
Taking a pistol instead of a GW would actually downgrade the effectiveness of the unit.

Misfratz
12-08-2010, 21:05
Link to Long Drongs Slayer Pirates Regiment (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod1140044&rootCatGameStyle=) - I like them.

As to why fighting with pistols would not be more common amongst Dwarfs, I think it comes down to two things:

(1) - Utility. Generally speaking a Dwarf is better off charging in with his axe, or having a proper handgun, then messing about with a pistol. Dwarfs are nothing if not unsubtle in their approach to warfare, so this rather counts against using pistols. After all which Warhammer unit does make use of pistols? Effete namby-pamby noble's sons whose own legs aren't strong enough to take them onto the field of battle, that's who.

(2) - Tradition. Given that there are plenty of Dwarfs who won't even use Cannons or handguns, because they aren't traditional, and it's easy to see why they would be a bit suspicious about messing about with pistols.

The Slayer Pirates on the other hand are (a) slightly mad and therefore (b) all the more brilliant for it.

Kulgur
12-08-2010, 21:27
Quite a few more than a brace, actually :D Currently I have both Long Drongs and a goblin hewer in my dwarf collection, and I'm tempted to see how they fare in 8th.

OK, they're all festooned with pistols then:)

vladsimpaler
12-08-2010, 23:25
A first step would be to give every character and maybe champions a free pistol. It won't be much of a game changer, but it will bring the "we got gunpowder" point across.

As for whole units... wasn't there a unit of them in 3rd Ed with hand weapon and pistol? Dragon Company or something like that.

EDIT: A-ha! http://www.solegends.com/citrr/rrd06ulthers.htm

Hahaha, Prince Ulther is a major donkeycave. :D