PDA

View Full Version : To DoC or to WoC that is the question?

Justicar_Freezer
11-08-2010, 05:04
Hello fellow warseerites. I come to you with a very simple quandry. As some of you may or may not know I really don't like to paint my models. I don't know why I don't get any enjoyment out of it....usually. However back when 6th edition was kicking around I had a Tzeentch chaos warrior army which I had a blast painting. Though I think that was in part due to the older chaos warriors who were all armor and no flesh (really dislike painting flesh).

Anyway this brings me to my quandry. You see I want to do one more Fantasy army. At the moment I have Dwarves (5,000pts), High Elves (4,000pts), and Dark Elves (4,000pts) So I have the sturdy defender type army and two fairly good magic/shooty armies. The thing is I want another bad guy army that is a bit more in your face. Thus I've thought out two options.

A Malal themed Warriors of Chaos army. I know followers of Malal usually don't group up in armies but I was thinking one big unit of Chosen, sprinkle in a few heroes and a powerful lord would cover the Malal aspects. Then fill out the rest of the army with Marauders as a tribe of Norsemen who perhaps are undivided that have recently had their village sacked by members of the other ruinious powers and are seeking revenge. (Also an excuse to practice painting flesh)

Or A demons of Chaos army. This army would be mostly Khorne themed with A bloodthrister, big blocks of bloodletters and some bloodcrushers. To give the army some depth I planned on adding a Tzeentch Demon prince or two Tzeentch heralds converted up to look as if they are bound/imprisioned and being used by the Bloodthrister along with some Horrors and maybe a small group of flamers. All the Tzeentch units would in some way be modelled to look like prinsoners/slaves to the Khorne element of the army.

Now I know which army I'm leaning towards but I want some opinions from you guys and gals. Which army do you think would be more fun to paint and model? Because I actually want to attempt sitting down and painting this army. Also which army do you think would be more fun and enjoyable for you to see across the table from you?

Thanks for the replies.

ooglatjama
11-08-2010, 05:11
Hello fellow warseerites. I come to you with a very simple quandry. As some of you may or may not know I really don't like to paint my models. I don't know why I don't get any enjoyment out of it....usually. However back when 6th edition was kicking around I had a Tzeentch chaos warrior army which I had a blast painting. Though I think that was in part due to the older chaos warriors who were all armor and no flesh (really dislike painting flesh).

Anyway this brings me to my quandry. You see I want to do one more Fantasy army. At the moment I have Dwarves (5,000pts), High Elves (4,000pts), and Dark Elves (4,000pts) So I have the sturdy defender type army and two fairly good magic/shooty armies. The thing is I want another bad guy army that is a bit more in your face. Thus I've thought out two options.

A Malal themed Warriors of Chaos army. I know followers of Malal usually don't group up in armies but I was thinking one big unit of Chosen, sprinkle in a few heroes and a powerful lord would cover the Malal aspects. Then fill out the rest of the army with Marauders as a tribe of Norsemen who perhaps are undivided that have recently had their village sacked by members of the other ruinious powers and are seeking revenge. (Also an excuse to practice painting flesh)

Or A demons of Chaos army. This army would be mostly Khorne themed with A bloodthrister, big blocks of bloodletters and some bloodcrushers. To give the army some depth I planned on adding a Tzeentch Demon prince or two Tzeentch heralds converted up to look as if they are bound/imprisioned and being used by the Bloodthrister along with some Horrors and maybe a small group of flamers. All the Tzeentch units would in some way be modelled to look like prinsoners/slaves to the Khorne element of the army.

Now I know which army I'm leaning towards but I want some opinions from you guys and gals. Which army do you think would be more fun to paint and model? Because I actually want to attempt sitting down and painting this army. Also which army do you think would be more fun and enjoyable for you to see across the table from you?

Thanks for the replies.

I play a Malal army made up the same way... are you me?

Paraelix
11-08-2010, 05:31
My vote goes WoC!

DigitalDogParty
11-08-2010, 05:43
I'd consider Warriors of Chaos because it feels like they have more character to them, not to mention personality. Daemons are daemons. It kinda feels like you are running the same dude in units. They have cool models, but the army feels a bit bland to me. But then again, it's your choice.

shakedown47
11-08-2010, 06:37
I say do whatever army you like the fluff and models for the best.

It seems there's been a rash of Malal "themed" armies in the last several years; no one near me plays one but when I go to area tournaments there are always two or three. My personal feeling is that Malal only works if the army is entirely unmarked, and on certain units some marks are just too tempting to take. Chaos lord with 3+ ward save? Yes, please.

As for the daemons idea, mono-god armies are pretty cool but be prepared to take a lot of flack for fielding "khorne flamers" or "khorne horrors" or other such "counts-as" units. Also, I personally think that both the model range, army list, and army background of daemons limits what you can realistically do with them, while WoC have an almost unmatched diversity.

My vote would be for WoC.

Justicar_Freezer
11-08-2010, 06:40
Well ooglatjama I am me, so unless you are me which would mean we are I. I don't think so... Just both have good tastes in which chaos god to pick lol.

That makes 2 for WoC and 0 for DoC which is interesting.

DigitalDogParty I can see where you're coming from with the demons not seeming to have much character. However I sort of think the same thing about the new chaos warriors. I for some reason really don't like those models, way to static looking for me. If I could get my hands on some of the old 6th edition ones that came with the mutation sprue I'd be happy though. Also It seems hard to convert up a chaos lord since there is no plastic kit and most of the metal ones are god specific.

I'll wait for a few more votes before chimeing in with which army I am leaning towards and why. But thanks for the input so far guys. Also a note either of these armies will probably be written with 7th edition slot guidelines since that seems to be what my buddy and I will be playing seeing as neither of us are to big a fans of 8th and we really only game against each other

shakedown47, my plan for the demons is not khorne flamers or horrors but bound/imprisoned flamers and horrors. So I'd model them with chains and collars. Maybe take a try at painting the run of khorne or a person rune of the bloodthrister onto them to mark them as his possesions so to speak. The demon prince would have it's arms bound in chain and a hood or cage over it's head. The heralds if I did them, one would be on a disc modeled up to look like a floating cage maybe prodded by a bloodletter. The other would probably just be in chains with the hood/cage idea for the demon prince.

Blaqkheart
11-08-2010, 07:07
Go, Warriors of Chaos!

Slowpoke
11-08-2010, 10:35
My vote goes to WoC as well. They are much more characterful and I really like the theme you are going for! Had that same idea a while back but I couldn't resist giving marks for my warriors..

Wakerofgods
11-08-2010, 11:49
I play and like warriors of chaos, not a fan of deamons though. The mixing in of deamons dosen't sit right with me...but I think they needed it and this is a very 'me' specific reason for not playing them.

But with march blocking and frenzy allowing LD tests to avoid now (with BSB reroll!) I think the weaknesses of WOC have melted away to reveal an awsome infantry centered army which is exactly what I wanted when I picked them.

ChrisIronBrow
11-08-2010, 16:03
well, I'm playing WoC, And While I like them alot I'm slowly starting to regret not having started chaos Daemons instead... IMO Chaos Warriors just aren't actually worth the crazy points we pay for them, and they were the part of the army that really got me excited. So I find I'm running hordes of Marauders and trolls and stuff, and I just keep thinking I would have prefered DoC...

so...

RMacDeezy
11-08-2010, 17:13
i actually think the DoC idea of khorne daemons using captive tzeentch is awesome. i'd say go for it, the idea is a great theme and has excellent conversion opportunities

Justicar_Freezer
11-08-2010, 20:27
Again thanks for all the replies folks. Right now I'm leaning more towards the Demons simply because of the conversation potential with the bound tzeentch demons and the not having to paint standard flesh which would come from doing the WoC army I am thinking of.

I think though before making any investment I'm going to use my buddies WoC army to get a feel for how my army idea would work and I might proxy..(I know that's horrible) my demon army idea just to see which I would enjoy playing more.

Anyone that's painted demons are they fun to paint seeing as they really have no set color for them and you can go abit wild if you want?

RMacDeezy
11-08-2010, 20:41
i love painting my daemons esp tzeentch, the whole "this is my mouth inside another mouth that morphs into a hand holding an eyeball spouting flames" really appeals to me. i also bought a couple of the 6th ed bloodletters and painted the fur on their backs to look like flames. i don't really care for those models but the paint scheme of axe wielding, psycho killer daemons covered in hellfire makes the unit look awesome.

Shamutanti
11-08-2010, 20:45
I've got a 5k Daemon army and in all honesty, I've ALWAYS had fun painting/playing with them. Not something I can say for the other armies I own. I always look forward to getting the demons out *Shrug*

I try and keep it daemon heavy though and thus don't have any greater daemons in my collection (for fantasy anyway, got multiples for 40k) and thus always find it's a really awesome army to witness on the battlefield.

WoC are everywhere and often are very bland to look at. Takes a special painter/convertor to make me raise an eyebrow to a WoC army.

Lordsaradain
11-08-2010, 21:46
Malal WoC have almost been done to death, go for DoC, your theme/idea sounds fun, I'd love to see some pics if you pulled of those imprisoned heralds! ;)

Goblin Gonads
11-08-2010, 22:35
I have around 8k each of DoC and WoC, from what you have said I would vote for DoC. The thematic approach and conversion possibilites in your DoC proposals sound seriously good. Another WoC Malal force, well, meh, didn't do anything for me at all. As for painting them, demons offer more freedom of expression and individually, units like bloodletters are less taxing than units like WoC. Join the dark dark side!

Justicar_Freezer
11-08-2010, 22:55
Well I think the demons have won out. I guess if I'm going bad I might as well go all the way into the badness of it.

The other thing is the more I sit and think about it the more the convertion chances just make me want to do the demons. Also I think it'll be fun in games to toy around with the concept of the Bloodthrister thinking he's the one in charge but every once in awhile perhaps the demon prince or heralds will do something a bit counter to his plans. Which opens up all kinds of fun things I could do in game that would be characterful even if it might lead to me loosing in some cases.

I think I'm going to look to start the army this year at games day. Might pick up a Balrog which I'm gonna use as my Bloodthrister, and maybe a demon prince and a box of horrors and bloodletters.

Once I figure out the digital camera I've got I might even start a plog in the painting and modelling section *gasp shock awe* Though I can't promise the painting will be anything real special.

A new question, what do you guys and gals think of playing with the word prisoner for the names of the Tzeentch Heralds. I was thinking of nameing one Priyo and the other Zneer you know just for kicks.

Orcboy_Phil
12-08-2010, 06:22
Gaming point of view go Daemons. From what you wrote though the Malal idea is really sweet, makes me wan't to do an army of them now. :cries:

Halelel
12-08-2010, 07:21
Another vote for DoC here with your theme, it should look pretty awesome.

Skipster
12-08-2010, 13:19
The DOC theme sounds great to me. +1 DOC