PDA

View Full Version : Questions from a game last night.

eagletsi1
11-08-2010, 13:42
1) On the Dwarf magic phase how does it work?

We played it as roll winds of magic as normal. He had no wizards so no channeling. Then he would use all of his dice to dispel remains in play spells.

Did we do this correctly? Because my Ogre remains in play spells were dispelled by him every phase, easily since he only needs a 7+. And I could do nothing about it.

2) When charging, if by charging you charge a unit and are closer to an enemy unit then 1 inch, but not touching. Does the enemy unit need to move 1 inch away, if it's not involved in combat?

3) Also I charged a unit of his on the flank but because he place another unit about an inch and a half behind the target, I could not wheel to get into his flank. So what happens? Do I still charge his flank but line up uneven? Do I fail the charge? Something else?

Thanks,

smithers
11-08-2010, 13:59
Questions from a game last night.
1) On the Dwarf magic phase how does it work?

We played it as roll winds of magic as normal. He had no wizards so no channeling. Then he would use all of his dice to dispel remains in play spells.

Did we do this correctly? Because my Ogre remains in play spells were dispelled by him every phase, easily since he only needs a 7+. And I could do nothing about it.

That's exactly right.

2) When charging, if by charging you charge a unit and are closer to an enemy unit then 1 inch, but not touching. Does the enemy unit need to move 1 inch away, if it's not involved in combat?

I don't see how this can happen; if your charge would end up closer than one inch but not touching then you will lose at least an inch on the failed charge advance, which puts you at least an inch away (?)

3) Also I charged a unit of his on the flank but because he place another unit about an inch and a half behind the target, I could not wheel to get into his flank. So what happens? Do I still charge his flank but line up uneven? Do I fail the charge? Something else?

If you could touch his unit but not "close the door" then his unit should close the door for you. If neither unit can "close the door" because they are both blocked then some "fudging" might be used or else I think your opponent has the right to object to "fudging" that is anything besides "closing the door" and you would have a failed charge. Pg. 22 of BRB covers this, but there are some unusual blocking tricks being developed for 8th that I don't have a grip on yet. It seems the rules are somewhat unclear about whether a charge prevented in some of the sneakier ways should be a failed charge or whether the charge was impossible to declare in the first place.

eagletsi1
11-08-2010, 14:05
On question two here is what happened.

I had two ogre units charge one of his dwarf units. He had two dwarf units next to each other about 2 inches apart. When my units hit his, I had to divide them evenly across his frontage. My one ogre unit was about a half and inch from his 2nd Dwarf unit which was not in combat.

smithers
11-08-2010, 14:23
Hmmm I think I'd just leave them alone. Definitely nothing wrong with getting that close to the 2nd unit since exceptions are made for charge moves, but I don't see a rule anywhere saying that a buffer needs to be reestablished in this case.

eagletsi1
11-08-2010, 14:27
That's what we did, but I was just wondering how others played it.

Thanks,

Mr_Rose
11-08-2010, 14:32
Hmmm I think I'd just leave them alone. Definitely nothing wrong with getting that close to the 2nd unit since exceptions are made for charge moves, but I don't see a rule anywhere saying that a buffer needs to be reestablished in this case.
Page 13 suggests that models that end up too close, in exactly this situation, should be moved apart.

eagletsi1
12-08-2010, 14:21
Thanks, I new I read that somewhere

TheTrueSloth
12-08-2010, 14:47
Page 13 suggests that models that end up too close, in exactly this situation, should be moved apart.

yep, they ned to be 1" apart, so in that scenario the other dwarves would have to move a whole half an inch further away.

And Dwarf magic is a pain the backside, no horrible spells to hit you but the fact they get an extra +2 to dispel is really annoying sometimes.

Toodles

Kampfpanzer
12-08-2010, 15:28
If you could touch his unit but not "close the door" then his unit should close the door for you. If neither unit can "close the door" because they are both blocked then some "fudging" might be used or else I think your opponent has the right to object to "fudging" that is anything besides "closing the door" and you would have a failed charge.

I'll admit, I hate people "fudging" to get in combat. I know the rules, so if my unit is in a place where if you charge me neither you nor I can "close the door", don't be moving models and terrain around, my unit is placed where it is for that exact reason.

Yrrdead
12-08-2010, 16:04
yep, they ned to be 1" apart, so in that scenario the other dwarves would have to move a whole half an inch further away.

Now I was letting this go before you posted because it is sort of nitpicky but...

Pg 13 BRB

"...Occasionally, a unit will have approached to within 1" of a unit it did not charge as a result of moving into contact with a unit it did charge. This is perfectly acceptable, although players may wish to nudge the units further apart to maintain a suitable degree of clarity."

I don't know about you but I strongly dislike "nudging". And I certainly don't need to "nudge" to achieve clarity about which units are which. I think I'm in the camp that will not be nudging my units as I'm not required to do so.