PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Kelbor Hal and the Dark Mechanicus?

RunepriestRidcully
11-08-2010, 13:58
What happened to him and the Dark Mechanicus? They seem to have just disapeard from the fluff, why do all they have to show for 10,000 years is the defiler, when the loyalists have the Razorback, the assault cannon, the storm bolter, 2 Raider varients, and countless others, and also cannot maintain land speeders, whirlwinds, jetbikes or any other Heresy era tech? So could someone please tell me what Kelbor Hal and the DM have been doing all this time?

Kallas
11-08-2010, 14:01
Dark Adeptus (the 2nd Grey knight novel) suggests their about, in the warp...

My personal guess, at the soul forge and assisting larger warbands behind the scenes...

Iuris
11-08-2010, 14:14
I expect they, like all the followers of Horus, retreated into the Eye of Terror. After a surprise or two, like the fact that the traitor legions "grew bored of a diet of human flesh" once every one got there, I expect the survivors were only the ones that had useful skills and they formed new forgeworlds in any areas they could hold. And I expect they generally buy their continued protection by producing equipment and supplies for the traitor armies.

MagosHereticus
11-08-2010, 15:25
kelbor and kane are going to have a badass show down in the conclusion of the martian rebellion, unless black library doesn't bother wrapping up the mechanicus lose ends but i doubt that

gitburna
11-08-2010, 15:29
Presumably they have had something of a hand in creating various daemon engines in addition to the Defiler. Epic covered the rules for those originally. I'd expect that Forgeworld will continue to produce modern-era models for these at a slow pace - the updated versions of the blood slaughterer and brass sorpion serving as examples. As and when there are models, i'd expect more background! (Case in point - the defiler)

RunepriestRidcully
11-08-2010, 21:04
kelbor and kane are going to have a badass show down in the conclusion of the martian rebellion, unless black library doesn't bother wrapping up the mechanicus lose ends but i doubt that

Was there something similar to that in "Mechanicum"? I have not finished that yet, and I last read from it about a year ago, it just seemed to plod on, and was hard to get to the point I did, and I am the type of person who gets jokes about stealing old books and told I read too much. Or is it just based on how Kane became the head of the loyal Mechanicum, and what would a fight between two adepts be like, for some reason I can not get the image of them fighting in a pokemon fashion, aka having skitari, knight titan and eventually titans fighting each other whilst the duelling adepts stand to the side and give commands/ bring more guns/titans to the fight. So is there any infomation on the Dark Mechanicum? it seems they built the defiler, gave the traitor legions some supplies, and then went on holiday somewhere.

Nazguire
12-08-2010, 04:28
What happened to him and the Dark Mechanicus? They seem to have just disapeard from the fluff, why do all they have to show for 10,000 years is the defiler, when the loyalists have the Razorback, the assault cannon, the storm bolter, 2 Raider varients, and countless others, and also cannot maintain land speeders, whirlwinds, jetbikes or any other Heresy era tech? So could someone please tell me what Kelbor Hal and the DM have been doing all this time?

From what we can tell by the background the Dark Mechanicum, like the Chaos Marines, have no centralised command or government any longer. They just do what they do. Whilst there would be a degree of friendly rivalry between Imperial Forge Worlds, (if not outright hostility, but never open war), I can picture Chaos Forge Worlds striving to defeat the other by creating the most destructive, and weirdest inventions and weapons known to man.

If Kelbor-Hal is still around I'd be surprised. I'd imagine he would have been on the Vengeful Spirit at the time of the Siege of Terra, and probably killed. If not then, he'd certainly be either dead or so Chaotically-influenced he's nothing like the Kelbor-Hal that was the Fabricator-General of the Mechanicum.

Without the restraints of the Mechanicus (which do serve a purpose, primarily to stop the data-addicts that the Mechanicus are from ruining themselves and those around them with crazy, boundless experimentation and invention, like Igor the Mad Scientist...) there'd be all sorts of..well, Chaos, going on in those daemon-laboratories and factories of the Dark Mechanicum.

They're certainly (they have to be, for the Chaos Marines to maintain their weapons) a much bigger force than GW have made them out to be.

MagosHereticus
12-08-2010, 11:52
Was there something similar to that in "Mechanicum"? I have not finished that yet, and I last read from it about a year ago, it just seemed to plod on, and was hard to get to the point I did, and I am the type of person who gets jokes about stealing old books and told I read too much. Or is it just based on how Kane became the head of the loyal Mechanicum, and what would a fight between two adepts be like, for some reason I can not get the image of them fighting in a pokemon fashion, aka having skitari, knight titan and eventually titans fighting each other whilst the duelling adepts stand to the side and give commands/ bring more guns/titans to the fight. So is there any infomation on the Dark Mechanicum? it seems they built the defiler, gave the traitor legions some supplies, and then went on holiday somewhere.

no, mechanicum leaves the situation unresolved

If Kelbor-Hal is still around I'd be surprised. I'd imagine he would have been on the Vengeful Spirit at the time of the Siege of Terra, and probably killed. If not then, he'd certainly be either dead or so Chaotically-influenced he's nothing like the Kelbor-Hal that was the Fabricator-General of the Mechanicum.

the traitor fabricator general was disembowelled by his second in command near the conclusion of the siege of terra, the second in command then takes the mantle of fabricator general and fights his way to terra to assist the emperor and those still loyal to him, so it was written

RunepriestRidcully
12-08-2010, 20:32
But where was it written? and even so, what has happened to the Dark Mechanicus? Tzeentch/Slannesh worship?

Industrial Propaganda
12-08-2010, 20:52

That's not true. The Dark Mechanicus created alot new war machines like the Hell Blade, Hell Talons and many more daemon-machines...

The Dark Mechanicus have various forge worlds inside the Eye of Terror, like Xana II. Imperial Armour Volume 6 gives a quick description about this one :

Xana is believed to be a world wholly given over to daemon-machines and infernal industries, where mills grind flesh and suffering to make the insane visions of its nightmarish masters real, and countless millions are enslaved to work in a world-spanning network of labyrinthines forges, churning out an endless supply of weapons and armaments for the Traitor Legion's Long War. The masters of Xana, half-daemon machines themselves (so it's said), have long since left the shreds of their humanity behind and are beholden to none - be they mortal or Chaos god. They sell or barter their unholy inventions and arms to the highest bidder, be they warlord, demagogue, sorcerer or Daemon Prince without favour, and their coin of exchange is always the same, raw materials, the flesh and souls of slaves to feed Xana's endless hunger.

TrooperTino
12-08-2010, 21:17
in planetkill in on shortstory is a pirateship in the eyeofterror, whos machinespirit has become independent and fights its crew after having had a refit at some dark mechanicus shipdocks in the eye. There are even 2 dark mechanicus ships waiting to collect the freed machinespirit/ship. Not much real info, but there are dark mechanicus installations and they offer service for paying customers.

Brother Antonios
14-08-2010, 03:05
Dark Adeptus even mentions demon controlled artificial intelligence, so the Dark Mechanicus are still very busy. While they have some advantages, such as not caring about what happens to test subjects that allow them to develop tech faster. They are missing out on significant chunks of 'Cron tech that the regular Mechanicus is starting to integrate in early M42 stories.

ArtificerArmour
14-08-2010, 08:57
Lets look at the great constructions of the dark mechanicus:

Defilers and soulgrinder
Hell talons and blades
The planetkiller (THIS took something like a thousand years to make)
Subjugator titans
plaguetowers
Brass scorpions
Blood slaughterers
plague hulks
blight drones
various superheavies of khorne

The dark mechanicus tend to build bigger, more ambitious units using their dark knowledge. Of course, they'll make menial things, like lasguns, rhinos etc if they have the necessary STC imprints, but things like land speeders STC havn't been found yet (handwavium answer for "because chaos get cool things like daemons instead to distinguish their codex from vanilla sm"). Alot of tose will be made in daemon factories, but I think daemon forges and dark mechanicum forges are very similar in concept. One will provide for the etherial daemon hoarde and one will work for csm and renegades. You'll often get cross over from each one .

The dark mechanicum ARE around. Just you don't hear much from them compared to the light mechanicum.

RunepriestRidcully
14-08-2010, 10:18
I hope in the next Chaos Space marine codex we some more of Dark Mechanicum's inventions, as it is the Chaos codex feels almost like Codex: Space marines with half the options.

Bloodknight
14-08-2010, 10:45
The dark mechanicus tend to build bigger, more ambitious units using their dark knowledge

Yep, and much of it is superior to their imperial coutnerparts, just compare the stats and capabilities (fluff, not game) of the Lightning strike and the Hell Talon.

TrooperTino
15-08-2010, 14:48
I think Dark adeptus can only be taken as an example for how the DAM could be...

... the forgeworld in question had been isolated in the warp and was totally on its own. They didn't turn during the heresy and are no part of the Dark AM. However they would fit perfectly with the DaM, the ways of incorporating flesh as energysource and the deamon KIs were special only to that forgeworld and were being made out of the nessacarity to survive on its own in the warp.

A question is iff the dark adeptus M is a united force like the loyal admech or only a category for dozens of indepentent forgeworlds and millions of roaming tech adepts working for the chaos forces.

Talos402000
16-08-2010, 02:10
The Bearers of the Word are allied with a Dark Mechanicus Forgeworld in the Occularis Terribilus called Ghalmek. There were several chaos warmachines described in the book Dark Aposle.

A question is iff the dark adeptus M is a united force like the loyal admech or only a category for dozens of indepentent forgeworlds and millions of roaming tech adepts working for the chaos forces.

This is probably closer to the truth.

carlisimo
16-08-2010, 07:06
Are we expecting a sequel to Mechanicum, about however the Imperium retakes Mars? That's a period of "history" I don't know much about.

Nazguire
17-08-2010, 11:02
Are we expecting a sequel to Mechanicum, about however the Imperium retakes Mars? That's a period of "history" I don't know much about.

I'd assume minimum resistance. They'd flee with the rest of the traitor armies out of the solar system. What sense is there staying when it is obvious to stay will mean to be completely annihilated.

I believe that Mars would have been the first priority after securing Earth.