PDA

View Full Version : Goblin warboss on Gigantic spider issues

Ibid
11-08-2010, 23:51
I apologize if this is addressed elsewhere but I'm looking to start a mostly goblin army and the Goblin warboss on gigantic spider model caught my eye.

I was thinking of using him as a general to ride behind the troll unit (~6 trolls) and night goblin units as an LD boost. However, I noticed that the GIGANTIC spider does not appear to be a large target (ergo no 18" LD range), able to cause fear, join units (would be sexy to have his LD in the troll unit), or receive look out sir rolls.

Additionally, I'd have to invest in at least a 4+ ward so he can survive shooting, not to mention a good combat blade.

Has anyone found an effective use for this model as a Boss or Warboss? Any direction would be appreciated.

Rogzor87
12-08-2010, 19:51
I am also interested in what someone would do with that model. I ordered one and am waiting for it. Going to make an almost all calvary goblin army (:

w3rm
12-08-2010, 19:54
I'm fairly sure he can join units.

Ibid
13-08-2010, 02:27
I'm fairly sure he can join units.
Oic BRB p85 Monstrous beasts can follow the rules for monstrous Calvary if they are ridden by a character. So he can join units. Thanks for pointing that out! And if I understand correctly the spider doesn't roll on the monster reaction chart, gets +1 to his save, and if I only put a hero on it you can use the spiders 3 wounds vs the hero's two.

My ideal would be to put him in the troll unit even if he wasn't able to get a look out sir since trolls are monstrous infantry and he'd be monstrous calvary. Brb p99 forth paragraph. Yay rulebookhammer!

Actually with the cheap gobbo warbosses I could have one warboss in a infantry unit and a second one on the spider, possibilities abound :evilgrin:

Thanks again w3rm!

w3rm
13-08-2010, 04:53
So if hes a monstrous beast the goblin boss gets 3 wounds right? :evilgrin:

Little Joe
13-08-2010, 11:56
Yes he does, and with all the saves you gave him. But you will never get a Look Out Sir! roll out of him, since O&G don't have any regular monstrous cavalry units. And putting him in a unit of spider riders makes them loose the fast cavalry rule.

decker_cky
13-08-2010, 17:19
I used mine for a razorgor chariot.

As a monstrous beast, it's actually better to use him with a hero who'll benefit from the spider's wounds.

Dealer
13-08-2010, 20:30
As a new player starting OnG i HAD to get the model. It is really an awesome mini.

But... gamewise im not so sure it is a good choice.

The goblin boss is too weak to go on its own. Maybe if the gigantic spider was considered a monster with thunderstomp, etc... but it is not. Its just not enough of a threat. Id rather spend those points in a pair of squig herder teams; theyll prolly do more damage in the end.

About having it join a Troll unit... Well sure, LD 7 is better than 4, but stil painfully low, and the character is quite easy to pick off in the crowd of greenskins. Im not confident it will withstand a lot of shooting (No Look Out Sir!). Im concerned it would also limit the number of trolls in contact with the enemy (in the front rank), and id rather have those S5 attacks than the boss/spider ones. Taking into acount the cost of trolls, troll attacks are much more cost eficient.

Id love if any veteran OnG player could share their thoughts about the model. Any uses?

w3rm
14-08-2010, 03:26
No its not that great of a unit. Sorry he's just not. But then again youre playing O+G. Youre not going for a power house so you can affor to spend 100 points on a really cool model.

Little Joe
14-08-2010, 22:29
He looks great!:cool: At a base cost of 75 points he is not that expensive, those are the cost of a lot of other heroes out there. Still I would advise against actually using him(I have 2 dammit), because of panic tests. If he gets annihilated, which is not that hard to do, he will cause panic tests for friendly units in 6".

The only possible use I can see for him is a war machine hunter. Since the spider bassically makes a 14" flyer out of the spider in ignoring some terrain. In 8th this just means no dangerous terrain tests for forests and obstacles so far. Hideing will be difficult and the rules for obstacles are very strange in any case.

Go for more goblins heroes on foot in units, give them some punch. But if you want to use a cool model, get him away from your battleline. The greatest risk here being not going first.

Ibid
15-08-2010, 01:08
So what you're saying is I should go for the hero on the Cave squig?

J/k :D

Thanks for the input!

Little Joe
15-08-2010, 19:24
He does not look so good, is stronger, but has random movement and may get difficulties with terrain and has the same disadvantages as the gigantic spider.

So, no...

w3rm
16-08-2010, 00:38
And the spider can join units. Actually a unit of 13 spiders with fc and a gobbo bsb on spider with banner of +1 to movement doesnt sound so terrible... 9 str 4 attacks if you give the bb a sper 3 str 5 and 3 str 4 poisoned and 8 str 3 posined doesnt sound terrible.