PDA

View Full Version : The Hunt for Elliondra- The last of 7th Edition

Lord of Nonsensical Crap
12-08-2010, 01:17
Averland, 140th Year of Finubar the Seafarer’s Reign

The rolling hills and woods of this place could be seen far and wide across the clearing, trees speckled in the gold and red of autumn and the a cool breeze blowing between the trunks of the Old World oaks. The place almost reminded Korhil of the heartlands of Chrace. Almost. There was a beauty to this place, he noted, but it did not stir his hunter’s instincts in the same way as his homeland did. He found himself missing the tightrope feelings of danger and serenity that were ever-present in his home woods, the scents and sights of the woodland which tantalized, and yet masked the unwary of lurking predators. Nothing about this place challenged Korhil’s senses in that same way, nothing stirred his hunter’s soul to action.

He shook his head, taking his mind off of such trivial matters, and focussed on the matter at hand—namely the regiment of Lothern Seaguard who lay slain all around him. It had been a month since Elliondra of the White Tower, acting at the behest of the new High Loremaster, had gone to the Old World on a diplomatic expedition. It had been a week since that time that Elliondra had gone missing. As a gesture of faith to the High Loremaster, King Finubar had personally sent Korhil to find and rescue her, outspokenly placing his faith in the tracking skills of Chrace’s huntsmen. Korhil had only recently attained Captainship of the White Lions—a position that still didn’t feel right after the death of Captain Korhain at Finuval Plain-- and the much-vaunted position of the King’s personal champion that went with it. If he had a choice of where he could be right now, he would be back in Lothern, prosecuting his duty by guarding the Phoenix King, or else participating in Prince Tyrion’s drive on Anlec, rather than hunting for a missing mage. But he was nothing if not loyal to his King and obedient to his command, and that was why he was here, in an Autumnal glade somewhere in the Old World, with a small force drawn from the soldiery of Chrace.

They had made a quiet landfall only a few days ago, and hadn’t had much difficulty in tracking the last location of Elliondra and her retinue. The trail had led them here, to a clearing where Elliondra’s bodyguard lay slain. The Sea Guard had all been felled by crude arrows or particularly gruesome melee wounds, and a large number of them had been stripped of their armour, weapons and possessions. There was no sign of the attackers, but, for better or worse, there was also no sign of Elliondra. And so it was that he, along with Telendar the Spearman captain and Morien, the resident White Lion Guardian, took the opportunity to inspect the site for any trail the attackers had left.

Leaning over the dirt, Morien traced a finger along rough impressions in the ground. Morien was a good warrior who had served under Korhil several times before, and he could see the resourceful warrior getting a command of his own one day if he could only reign in his outspoken nature. “The tracks seemed pretty mixed,” the White Lion breathed. “Some are small, and seem to use pretty frantic footwork. The others are larger and leave much deeper imprints.”

Korhil knew what that meant. “Greenskins,” he said, almost spitting the word.

The Guardian nodded. “Looks like it, Captain Korhil,” he said, standing back up. “And these tracks are only a few days old. Chances are, she might not be alive any more.”

Korhil stared out uneasily into the darkness at the edge of the woods. Never trust the shadows beyond the trees, his father had always told him, for you never know what you will find. “We won’t know for sure until we see for ourselves,” he said. “A host like that should have a camp somewhere. Prepare to resume our advance. Even if she is already dead, we should at least ensure those Greenskins are-- “

He was cut off when he heard a faint whirring sound in the distance. He tensed. That was not any sound he was familiar with—no beast of the wild made a sound like that, nor had any spell he’d dodged nor weapon he’d parried. Morien and Telendar heard it as well, and both stood back up and scanned the edge of the woods.

“What in Isha’s tears is that?” Telendar wondered aloud, voicing all of their thoughts.

The White Lion Captain had no answer. Whatever it was, it was growing louder and louder. Almost reflexively, he pulled Chayal from its back-sheath and gripped it tightly. As the sound grew louder, he could hear that it wasn’t exactly a unified, insect-like buzzing as he had first suspected, but rather a steady resonance of a single sound going over and over again...almost like the sound of a blade cutting through air...

And then, without warning, the whatever-it-was flew over the treeline, accompanied by a furious gust of wind. Keeping his feet, Korhil saw it for what it was: a long, wooden shape, looking almost like one of the dragonflies of Cothique, with a small, hairy shape at the front end and a trinity of whirring blades spinning in blurry motion directly above it.

“A Gyrocopter,” he said aloud, recognizing it for what it was. ”One of the flying machines of the Dwarfs.”

Morien stared at his Captain. “Dwarfs? What are they doing here--”

“TAKE COVER!” Telendar suddenly shouted. Almost too late, Korhil noticed the barrelled instrument mounted at the fore of the Gyrocopter as the flying machine swivelled down to track them. The Elves immediately darted to the side as the contraption fired: a great gust of steam suddenly blew out from the machine’s nozzle. As he darted aside, he heard a few Spearmen scream as the superheated steam scalded them to death.

Snarling a curse, Korhil whipped a throwing axe out from under his cloak and hurled it up at the machine. The axe-blade lodged itself deeply in the Gyrocopter’s side, and the pilot glanced frantically in its direction before a predatory shriek rent the air. The next thing Korhil knew, a giant feathery shape swooped down from above them, talons extended and scraping against the Gyrocopter’s cockpit. The machine was sent swerving backwards by the attack, and the startled pilot swung his flying machine around to retreat before this avian attack. Korhil smiled grimly as he saw the feathered shape swing gracefully around, allowing the Gyrcopter to hover to safety. Ahnriol, a wise Great Eagle of the mountains, had elected to accompany them on this journey, acting out of friendship to the missing Elliondra. He was now glad that the Great Eagle had deigned to join them.

Korhil’s smile diminished, though, when he saw a host of bearded, armour figures arraying in the hills across from them. It wasn’t just a single Gyrocopter that was attacking them: the Dwarfs were advancing

“Looks like they want to make a fight of it,” he growled, raising Chayal for his warriors to see. “Unholster the Eagle’s Claw! Morien, Telendar, form your regiments up and prepare to advance! Let’s show these stunties what happens when you anger a lion!”

The following is a report from a pair of games I played almost a year ago. While I know 7th edition is officially over, I decided to post these anyway, firstly, because they were both extremely fun games, and secondly, they’ll be a nice intro for my eventual High Elf battle blog (once I get some more games in with them).

The first game was a 1000 pt battle against Dwarfs. For my list, I took the following:

Korhil’s Hunters

Korhil the Hunter- 140
17 Spearmen- full command- 178
14 White Lions- full command, Talisman of Loec- 250
Lion Chariot- 140
Lion Chariot- 140
Great Eagle- 50
Repeater Bolt Thrower- 100

Total: 998 pt

Seeing as I’m collecting a Chrace-themed army, I decided to reflect that with a unit of White Lions and a pair of Lion Chariots. A unit of Spearmen rounded out the necessary Core qualifications, and for a leader, I decided to use Korhil. While I’m usually adverse to using special characters, Korhil was just too good to pass up—not only is he pretty decent in combat, but more importantly, his Stubborness is transferred to any unit he leads (which in this case, would be the humble Spearmen). A Great Eagle (for redirection and/or artillery hunting) and a Repeater Bolt Thrower (for fire support) rounded out my choices. The only real weakness of this list was that it had no magic defence, but at 1000 points, I was hoping this wouldn’t be an issue.

My Dwarf opponent, meanwhile, took the following army:

Artillery? What artillery?

Runesmith- great weapon, shield, Rune of Stone
Thane- BSB, Master Rune of Gromril
20 Warriors- shields, musician
10 Quarellers- shields
6 Miners
18 Hammerers- full command, shields, Rune of Battle
Gyrocopter

I was originally expecting some artillery in his list, so I was pleasantly surprised that he only had some Quarrellers for fire support. His Gyrocopter, on the other hand, would be a real pain if it were allowed to fire on my infantry.

DEPLOYMENT

Looked like this.

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t227/LoNCman/jfezdh-1.png

My overall plan was to engage the Dwarfs in combat as quickly as possible. Hopefully, the sheer number of strength 5/6 attacks in my army would put a dent in Dwarven armour. My RBT, I knew, would probably be Miner food, so I resolved to shoot with them as much as possible before they met the wrong end of a pickaxe, while I also intended to use the Eagle to tie up the Gyrocopter for as long as possible. Hopefully, this would allow my fighty units to get into a scrap with his relatively intact.

TURN 1

I won the first turn, and began with a general advance. My Chariots, Spearmen and White Lions all marched forward, eager to get into axe-swinging range of the Dwarvesm while the Eagle hovered behind them to cover any Gyrocopter-related threats. The only exception to the rule was my Repeater Bolt Thrower, who hunkered back, sipped down a few sifters of whine, and calmly riddled two of the distant Quarrellers with repeater bolts.

The Dwarfs responded to the general Elven advance by not moving at all whatsoever, in true, time-honoured Dwarven fashion. Well, except for that newfangled Gyrocopter, who swooped down the left flank to face both the side of the leftmost Chariot and the Spearmen next to it, but the Dwarfs were of the general opinion that its pilot wasn’t right in the head anyway. In the shooting phase, the Quarrellers, seeing that that eeevil RBT was out of range, decided instead to vent their frustration (and crossbow bolts) on the White Lions. They wound up getting even more frustrated, however, when they saw all of their bolts bounce harmlessly off of the lion cloaks. (Chrace: Your number one stop for bulletproof furs). The Gyrocopter, on the other hand, unleashed its steam cannon on the Spearmen, and the Chracian woodsmen screamed as they were doused in superheated steam. Three Elves fell in embarrassment.

TURN 2

With a Rofl...sorry, Gyrocopter sitting next to my army, I was certainly due for more annoying steam attacks, and so I charged it with my Great Eagle, determined to kill the Copter or at least stall it for a bit. The rest of my army continued its relentless advance, though due to my Spearmen being march-blocked and my Chariots being unable to march anyway, the White Lions wound up far outpacing the rest of their comrades.

In the shooting phase, the RBT crew once again fired on the Quarellers, mowing down another two of them. In close combat, the Eagle swooped down at the Gyrcopter...and quickly discovered that attacking a Gyrocopter from above is a bad idea, as it did no damage and took a wound from the rotary blades in return. In spite of this, the Eagle held its ground (air?).

In the Dwarven turn, a hole opened up near the Repeater Bolt Thrower, and six Miners clambered out. After looking at their map and determining that they should have taken a right at Albuqurque, they nonetheless turned to face the Repeater Bolt Thrower crew. Everything else in the Dwarven line, as usual, heroically refused to move.

Once again, the Quarrellers fired on the White Lions, and this time managed to fell one of the Elves who wasn’t wearing his lion cloak right. (“No Kaelis, for the last time, you don’t use it as a scarf.”) In close combat, though, the Eagle managed to avoid being diced further by the Gyrocopter’s blades, but in return its pecks did no damage to the annoying Dwarf construction. Even so, the Eagle again held its air.

TURN 3

Once again...I’ll give you some guesses. Yep, that’s right, my whole army advanced once again. I managed to march my rightmost Chariot, White Lions and Spearmen into charge range of the Dwarven battle-line, while the leftmost Chariot angled sideways a little to get a future flank charge. I was hoping to get a multi-charge on the Warriors and Hammerers, and inflict as many casualties on them as possible with my more hitty units.

In the shooting phase, the RBT crew ignored the Miners (Even taunting them with a few dirty Snow White jokes) and picked on the Quarrellers once again, killing another two. At this point, the Quarrellers began to wonder if maybe standing on a hill like this was such a good idea, but then dismissed the thought when they remembered how proudly their ancestors had always stood on hills and gotten shot to ribbons. In the ongoing aerial duel, the Eagle managed to scored a wound on the Gycrocopter with its beak. Shocked, the Gyrocopter crew turned and flew off in retreat, with the Eagle flapping after them and squawking insults.

In the Dwarven turn, the Miners charged my RBT, the Gyrocopter rallied, and....yep, you guessed it, the rest of the Dwarven army stood its ground. Given how much of the battle had been revolving around marching and shooting, some of the Dwarves began to wonder if the Elves were copying their style. The Runesmith even began to lament the fact that there were no enemy Mages present, seeing as he hadn’t gotten to do any dispelling at all today.

In the shooting phase, the Quarellers once again skewered another White Lion. In close combat, the Dwarfs showed the RBT crew the sort of horrible things you can do to a person with a pickaxe. Needless to say, the Elves would have no further shooting phases.

TURN 4

With everything now in charge range, Korhil tilted his head back an let loose an almighty “Waaaagh!” After a few curious stares from his soldiers, however, he remembered which race he was, and instead led his army forwards with a suitably Elven cry of “For the glory of Ulthuan, and the Phoenix King, and Chrace, etc etc!” The White Lions and rightmost Lion Chariot both crashed into the waiting Hammerers, and in the process, the White Lions managed to hit the Warriors in the front as well, while Korhil and his Spearmen also charged into the Warriors. Shrieking, the Great Eagle charged the Gyrocopter once more. With no charge room left, the leftmost Chariot trundled forwards some more, looking for a flank charge on the Warriors next turn.

In the almighty close combat phase, the White Lion champion roared a challenge to the Dwarfs. The Thane strode forwards to accept, and the moment he did so, the champion invoked the Talisman of LoNC....I mean, Loec. Laughing from a sudden rush of power, the Champion scored a wound on the Thane, before accidentally twisting his ankle, falling face-first into the Dwarf’s hammer, and falling down and impaling himself on his own axe for a massive 3 wounds of overkill. Elsewhere, the Lion Chariot’s thunderous impact killed only one Hammerer (even though they were using great weapons instead of their shields for some reason), and the War Lions and crew nibbled only one more. The White Lions did no better than their namesakes, chopping down one Hammerer and one Warrior. Korhil, grumbling about having to do things himself, axed down two more Warriors with swings from Chayal, while the Spearmen impaled a third. The Dwarfs struck back, and while the Warriors failed to score any damage on the Elves, the Runesmith managed to chop down one White Lion and the Hammerers bludgeoned down another. Surprisingly, the Dwarfs had won combat thanks to static combat resolution, but the Spearmen, White Lions and Chariot all held their ground.

Elsewhere, the Great Eagle swooped down on the Gycrocopter...and once again proved how intelligent it was by attacking the rotary blades and hurting itself in the process. Once again, the Eagle held its air.

In the Dwarven turn, the Quarrellers were left with nothing to shoot, and the Miners with nothing to charge, so both units settled down for a smoke and some beers. In the massive melee in the centre, the Chariot’s lions and crew managed to kill two Hammerers with claw and axe, while the White Lions went on a stunty-killing rampage, axing down three Hammerers and two Warriors. Korhil added to the tally by hacking down another Warrior, and the Spearmen skewered another. Annoyed, the Dwarven battle standard bearer relieved a White Lion of his kneecaps, while the Hammerers squished a second and the Warriors de-legged a third. This time, though, the Elves had won combat, but this time it was the Dwarves’ turn to hold their ground.

Oh yes, and the Gyrocopter turned the Great Eagle into sliced chicken. So it goes.

TURN 5

My only movement this turn came from my left-flank Chariot, which gleefully crashed into the flank of the Warrior unit, wiping out four of them with impact hits and attacks. Emboldened by this act of vehicular homicide, my other Chariot and White Lions squished a whopping six Hammerers and one Warrior, while Korhil...missed spectacularly, as he stopped in mid-battle to wipe the Dwarf blood off of Chayal’s blade. His Spearmen, however, picked up the slack and inflicted pointy death on another two Warriors. In exchange, the White Lions were mauled as the Dwarven characters and Hammerer champ clobbered four of them in return, but it was not enough. The Warriors turned and ran for it, only to be run down by both the Spearmen and left Chariot (With the Spearmen actually outpacing the Chariot to overrun off the board). The Hammers, though, held their ground, leaving me with two White Lions and a Chariot facing off against the enemy BSB, Runesmish, and four Hammerers.

In the Dwarf turn, there was little that the Dwarven player could do other than about-face his Quarrellers to face the Spearmen’s inevitable return, fly his Gyrocopter up near my rightmost Chariot, and leave his Miners to sit in the table quarter reminiscing over Snow White. In close combat, all four of the remaining Hammerers quickly met an axe-and-lion-related end, but in reply, the last two White Lions were squished as well. Both units had been wiped out, but the Thane and Runesmith were left beaten and outnumbered by a fear-causing Chariot. They failed to get snake eyes twice in a row, and were duly run down by the Chariot, which enthusiastically ran off the board.

TURN 6

By this point, i figured that I pretty much had the game in the bag. Both my Spearmen and Lion Chariot returned, and with little else to do, settled down for a post-battle celebration, with the promise of beer and Xbox at Korhil’s place.In the Dwarven turn, however, a shadow fell over them as the Gyrocopter hovered towards them, and the Quarellers about-faced to shoot at the Spearmen as well. In the ensuing shooting phase, even after a ridiculous number of 6+ saves, six Spearmen fell, steam-roasted by the cackling Dwarf pilot, Even so, I was confident that I would pass the ensuing panic test.

One failed leadership test later, Korhil and his Spearmen fled for their lives, awarding the Dwarf player a crapload of last-turn points.

FINAL SCORE:
High Elves- 1044
Dwarves- 948

DRAW

Lord of Nonsensical Crap
12-08-2010, 01:20
The battle had succeded in further destroying any beauty that this place once had, Korhil noted bitterly. Dead bodies littered the autumnal glade, staining the red and gold of the place with a deep crimson. But such was war, he knew. Besides which, he had seen much, much worse when the Druchii had come marching into Chrace last year.

The majority of the Dwarfs had been slain, with the last few retreating into the woods when it became clear they could not win. His own force had taken hefty losses as well, which had forced him to restrain any pursuit. There was nothing for them to do now, he knew, except to gather their dead, tend to their wounded, and continue with their mission. That was, after he gained a few answers.

Walking across the field, flanked by Telendar and a few of his Spearmen, Korhil checked the Dwarven bodies. His instincts proved correct, as one of them was still breathing, his chest rising and falling and his breath coming in ragged gasps. His white, braided beard was matted with blood, and an elaborate staff lay just out of reach of his immobile fingers.

Korhil glared down at the Dwarf, recognizing him as the one who had led the Dwarf host. He was badly hurt, but not so badly that he would not live. “Why did you attack us?” he asked sternly.

The Runesmith’s eyes turned towards Korhil, and a flicker of hatred shone across them. “Elgi...” the Dwarf wheezed, “Bastard Elgi...”

“You didn’t answer my question,” Korhil growled, feeling his own temper running up. “Why did you attack us?”

“Because it’s the least you oathbreakers deserve!” the old Dwarf spat. “No Dwarf worth his salt forgets what you Elgi did during the War of Vengeance!”

He had heard the word used by Dwarfs before. “You mean the War of the Beard,” Korhil replied, remembering the history books. “And your folk still have the Phoenix Crown in your possession. By rights, we’re the ones who should be bitter.”

The Runesmith made no effort to argue. Instead, he leaned his head back almost resignedly. “Do what you will,” he said.” Whoever you are, Elgi, you can be sure that your name will go in the Book of Grudges—both for the Dwarfs you killed today, and for the ones you took captive!”

The Runesmith’s words caused Korhil’s grip on Chayal to involuntarily tighten. He took a step towards the Dwarf to glare at him more closely. “I am Korhil, Captain of the White Lions of Chrace,” he said, keeping his temper in check as best he could, “and you lie when you say that I took Dwarfs captive.”

“Then what became of the caravan of Durrik, the King’s nephew?” the Runesmith rasped angrily. “Pretty convenient that you’re not a few miles away from the site of its ambush, Elgi!”

It was then that everything clicked into place—why the Dwarfs had attacked them, and what they were doing so far from any hold of theirs. Korhil took a few steps back, his grip on Chayal relaxing. “We fight for a common cause, then,” he said. “One of our own was also taken captive, and it looks like the culprits were Greenskins.”

The words caused the Runesmith’s face to go pale, only to go red again with renewed and greater anger. “Greenskins!” he hissed, the tone in his voice making it clear to Korhil that if this Dwarf hated Elves, then he absolutely reviled Greenskins. “Greenskins! Grimnir damn them all!”

“By rights, I should kill you for attacking us without warrant or warning,” Korhil went on. Slowly, he sheathed Chayal behind his back. “But enough blood has been spilled today, Dwarf. I will let you go, and if I should find this princeling of yours in the Greenskin camp, then you have my word that he shall be freed unharmed as well.”

The Runesmith’s hateful gaze did not diminish at all. “Promise what you will, Korhil of the White Lions,” he said. “Your name will still go down into the Book of Grudges.”

Korhil made no reply. Turning, he walked off to gather what remained of his warriors, leaving the wounded Runesmith behind. With luck, his folk would return to retrieve him. If not, then one wounded Dwarf was no concern of his. Right now, all he wanted to retrieve Eliiondra and get his remaining men back to Ulthuan alive.

He winced. After the losses they had taken here, getting Elliondra back from the Greenskins wouldn’t be easy at all...

Thoughts:

That was without a doubt one of the most fun games I’ve ever played. With no Mages and minimal shooting on both sides, everything hinged around the big mass-combat we fought at the top of the board, with two armies of resolute infantry hacking into each other with impunity. I must say, I was surprised at how well my army performed in close combat: while the Lion Chariots were no surprise, my White Lions made a mockery of Dwarf armour and toughness with their axes, and even the Spearmen did well, accounting for a few Dwarf Warriors each turn. While I lost the White Lions eventually, it was only after they did a hefty amount of damage to the Hammerers.

As much as it saddens me to say so, though, part of this near-victory came down to army lists. With Lion Chariots and White Lions, I pretty much had the right units to beat the Dwarfs in combat. By contrast, the Dwarf player simply did not have the firepower to stop my hitty stuff from reaching his lines intact. A Bolt Thrower or two would have made my Chariots worry, but as things turned out, they were able to run down Dwarfs with impunity. It was only unlucky dice on my part that managed to turn things around for a draw.

Still, a fun combat-fest is a fun combat-fest. My opponent was a great guy who took his losses in stride, and I hope to play against him again at some point.

MVP: My White Lions were made of awesome in this battle, with their strength 6 axes hewing down Dwarves left and right. Honourable nods, though, also go to my Chariots and their game-winning charges, and my Great Eagle for holding up the Gyrocopter for so long.

LVP: There wasn’t really any LVP in this battle, as each unit performed excellently. But despite this, I will still give it to the Spearmen for fleeing at the most crucial stage of the game. Idiots, running from a little bit of steam...

Opponent’s MVP: The Gyrocopter pretty much won the game for the Dwarf player, so I’ll have to give it to it for its game-winning steam cannon shot.

Lord of Nonsensical Crap
12-08-2010, 01:21
It had taken them less than a day to find the Greenskin encampment. Though they were still fresh from their battle with the Greenskins, Korhil and his men had carried on their mission, buoyed by the fact that, if nothing else, the sooner they completed it, the sooner they could return safely to Ulthuan. Their numbers were greatly diminished after the battle with the Dwarfs, however, and Korhil knew that, if it came down to a frontal assault, things would be much riskier than he would have wanted. Even so, he also knew full well that every Elf under his command would carry out whatever orders he gave them, no matter the risk to their own lives.

They had managed to approach more or less stealthily, easily dispatching the few clumsy Orcs guarding the camp’s perimeter before setting up an observatory position on a nearby hill. The camp itself was a motley collection of crude wooden shacks and pigskin tents, all daubed in crude glyphs. Chattering Goblins and carousing Orcs thronged the campsite, roaring and fighting and laughing, and Korhil could smell roasting meat and an odd-smelling brew coming from the campsite. A few Elves hung in gibbets, already dead, and there was no doubt that they had been tormented thoroughly first. None of them, though, were female, which gave Korhil a glimmer of hope that Elliondra was still alive.

What the Greenskins would want with an Elven mage, though, he did not know. Or even want to know...

Beside him, Morien, still recovering slightly from his earlier wounds, eyed the camp carefully. “Not that many sentries,” he whispered. I don’t think they’re expecting an attack.”

“Then we’ll use that to our advantage,” Morien said. He turned to the side. “Telendar, send two of your stealthiest men to sneak into that encampment and find Elliondra. At the same time, we’ll launch a frontal attack to keep those Greenskins busy.”

Telendar looked concerned. “A frontal attack, Captain?”

“I know the risks,” Korhil growled. “But we don’t have much of a choice at the moment. We need a distraction if your men are to do this right.”

Grimly, Telendar nodded, knowing that the Phoenix King’s Champion was right. Quietly, he moved back to the ranks of the Spearmen to relay Korhil’s commands.

Korhil turned to the Repeater crewmen. ”Kelethris, prepare to fire a flaming shot to get their attention. The rest of you, form up and prepare to attack.”

“Yes, Captain,” came the general reply. With practiced ease, Korhil’s force formed up into battle-readiness. Tlendar’s Spearmen formed up around him, while Morien’s Lions came up on the flank and the Chariots rumbled up further down. At the rear, the Eagle’s Claw was set up, and on the woods behind them, Ahnriol was perched, patiently waiting for the opportunity to take flight. It had taken them only a few seconds to form a prepared battle-line, and it was times like these that Korhil took pride in commanding and serving in Ulthuan’s armies.

Down below, he could see a pair of Telendar’s Elves ghosting through the tall grass, moving up to come around the flank of the Greenskin camp. The Orcs and Goblins hadn’t seen them yet, and if Korhil had his way, the they wouldn’t see them at all—not with an Elven warhost demanding their attention as well.

He unsheathed Chayal, the old axe’s blade gleaming in the sunlight. Raising it high, he brought it down in a chopping motion, signalling Kelethris to fire.

Even as the flaming bolt soared over the Orc encampment, causing them to stop in their revelries, Korhil could see them turning around, almost falling over in surprise at the enemy army assembled on the hills above them.

“ADVANCE!” Korhil shouted, his heart pumping in eagerness for battle. As one, the warriors of Chrace launched their attack. All the while, Korhil prayed that the ruse would work...

For the other battle with my 1000-pt Elf list, I took on Orcs and Goblins. I used the same list as last time, while my opponent took a fairly sizeable Greenskin horde:

The Surprised Waaagh!

Black Orc Big Boss- boar, Martog`s Best Big Basha, heavy armour, shield, Warboss Um`s Best Big Boss ‘At
23 Orc Boyz- full command, shields
25 Orc Boyz- full command, shields
20 Night Goblins- musician, short bows, Fanatic
20 Night Goblins- musician, short bows
10 Savage Orcs- extra choppas
10 Savage Orcs- extra choppas
2 Spear Chukkas
1 Doom Diver

Not only was I outnumbered, but, uniquely enough, out-gunned as well (one RBT would not match up to three artillery pieces and two shortbow-armed units very well). I would have to play carefully if I wanted to avoid having my Elves get shot/Fanaticked/swarmed to death.

DEPLOYMENT

Looked like this:

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t227/LoNCman/24q22ag-1.png

The plan, at the time, was to smash through to the Greenskins’ rear with a combined Chariot charge on the right, while my stubborn White Lions and Spearmen held the centre and left. This was, of course, assuming my units could make it across the board without being shot to ribbons.

TURN 1

The Elves won the first turn, and launched a general advance against the Greenskins. The Lion Chariots zoomed down the right flank, eying the Orc Boyz for a charge next turn, while the Spearmen and White Lions marched resolutely down the centre, and the Eagle flew down the left flank, looking hungrily at the Goblin Spear Chukka crews. The only part of my army that did not move at all was the Repeater Bolt Thrower, whose crew targeted the rightmost Spear Chukka and diligently porcupined two of its crew.

The Orcs responded to the Elven advance...by descending into animosity. The leftmost Savage Orcs squabbled over whether or not the term “Savage Orc” was a redundant description. The rest of the Greenskins shuffled forward tentatively, moving into charge range for next turn.

In the shooting phase, the rightmost Spear Chukka fired at one of the Lion Chariots, went wide, and instead hit a used target salesman a mile away. The Doom Diver was slightly more accurate, sending a crazed Gobbo careenining into the rightmost Chariot and doing 2 wounds to it (and leaving an unpleasant mess on the paintwork). The rightmost Gobbos tried to finish the Chariot off, but their bows failed to wound the Elven contraption. Their leftmost cousins fared no better, unleashing a volley that hit everything but the White Lions they were shooting at. Finally, the leftmost Spear Chukka nailed the Great Eagle with a killer shot that knocked it out of the sky. The crew high-fived each other, knowing that all their time playing Duck Hunt had finally paid off.

TURN 2

Annoyed by the Greenskin firepower, both Lion Chariots charged headlong into the Big Boss’ Boyz, who held their ground. The Spearmen and White Lions, meanwhile, both continued to advance aggressively, with both ending up in charge range of the leftmost Savages and the other Boyz, respectively. The RBT, knowing that the rightmost Savages would be in position to countercharge if the Chariots failed to break through, peppered them with repeater shots and killed two of them.

With a combined roar of “OMNOMNOMNOM,” the two Lion Chariots annihilated a total of seven Orcs through impact hits and attacks. Stunned by the Chariots’ impact, the unit’s champion failed to hurt them back, and the Big Boss, momentarily forgetting that he was in the middle of a battle, laughed at the “cute wittle kitties” and went to search for a ball of yarn instead of attacking back. The Lion Chariots won by 2, but the Orcs, unfortunately for the Elves, held their ground.

In the Greenskin turn, the Big Boss let loose an almight Waaaagh, and the Greenskin army surged forward. The rightmost Savages charged gleefully into the flank of the Chariots, while the leftmost Savages and Night Gobbos charged Korhil’s Spearmen. Only the Savages made it in, however, as the Gobbos, overcome by their fear of tall, pointy-eared beings everywhere, simply hung back and shouted encouraging words. The Boss-less Boyz went charging into the White Lions, and the remaining Gobbos, like their cousins on the left flank, hung back to shout encouragement to the Orcs. In the midst of all this charging and shouting of loud words, no one was paying attention to the lone Fanatic, who lost control of his ball and chain and brained himself.

In the shooting phase, the Doom Diver launched another crazed Gobbo at the distant Repeater Bolt Thrower. The bat-winged lunatic was right on target, slamming into the crew. Unfortunately, it must have slammed into them with all the force and velocity of a slightly motivated feather, as the two crewmen were left unhurt (albeit splattered with Goblin goo).

In the combat between the Spears and Savages, Korhil whiffed completely as he suddenly decided that a fly buzzing around his head was far more deserving of Chayal’s attention. Thankfully, his combat prowess wasn’t needed, as three Savages gleefully impaled themselves on the Elves’ spears, while the few who were comparatively sane only squished two of the Spearmen. Losing by quite a lot, the Orcs turned and legged it, and, despite Korhil’s orders that they not do so, the Spearmen gave chase and poked the Greenskins to death. This caused a panic in the Night Goblins, who had been apprehensive about facing those Elves in the first place and now decided to leg it when their fears were apparently vindicated.

In the centre, in a perfect re-enactment of the opening scene of Lord of the Rings, the White Lions struck in unison at the oncoming Orc horde, chopping down five of them for no loss in return. Stunned, the Orcs held their ground, figuring that they still had the numerical advantage. On the right flank, though, things fared less well for the High Elves as the other unit of Savages crashed into the right Chariot, tearing off its side railing in a wanton act of Greenskin-on-designer-Chariot violence. The swift-striking crews only killed one of the Big Boss’ mob, while the Big Boss recovered his wits and bashed two chunks out of the leftmost Chariot with his Big Basha, even as the Lions ate four more of his Boyz in reprisal. Despite inflicting heavy casualties on the Orcs, the Chariots lost due to combat resolution, and both of them fled, with the whooping Savages in hot pursuit.

All in all, things were in a perfectly symmetrical balance at this stage. I was dominating on the left flank, fleeing on the right flank, and had things hanging in a balance in the centre.

TURN 3

In my turn, both Chariots rallied and turned around to face the Savage Orcs again, while Korhil and his Spearmen turned to face the flank of the Orcs fighting the White Lions. Shooting was a quick affair, with the RBT only skewering one of the Boss’ Boyz, and we went straight ahead to close combat. The White Lions continued to show the Orcs proper axe technique by hacking down another five Boyz, with only one falling to the champion’s reprisal. Once again, the Orcs lost combat, but thanks to the Glower Power(tM) of the nearby Big Boss, held their ground.

In the Orc turn, the Savage Orcs charged the rightmost Chariot, which held its ground, and the Big Boss and his mob slammed into the flank of the White Lions. The fleeing Night Goblins realizing that the scary Spearmen weren’t facing them anymore, rallied with a collective sight of relief.

In the shooting phase, both Spear Chukkas fired on Korhil’s unit, and in an impressive display of Goblin accuracy, managed to almost impale each other in a grand display of missing. The Doom Diver, meanwhile, lobbed another insane Gobbo at the leftmost Chariot. For a moment, it looked like the shot would be spot-on...that is, until a gust of wind blew from the east, sending the Gobbo veering sideways and crashing into the embattled White Lions. Despite their protective lion cloaks, six of the White Lions were splattered by the flying Gobbo, almost halving their number and leaving their prospects considerably bleaker.

In close combat, the Big Boss, annoyingly enough, was unable to get into base-to-base with the White Lions, and shook his fist at the Doom Diver for denying him a rank to fight. Despite being badly understrength, however, the White Lions continued to prove that they had never heard of this “missing” thing by hacking down another six of the Orcs in front of them! Shocked, the two Orc units completely whiffed their return attacks, and against all odds, the White Lions, despite being badly outnumbered and outflanked, won combat again! Both units, however, held their ground, stubbornly refusing to run from these stubborn Elves.

On the right flank, the crew of the rightmost Chariots accidentally dropped their axes in mid-swing. In reply, they and their Chariot quickly became chopped kindling as the Savages bulldozed over them and overran into the second Chariot behind them. The leftmost Chariot, understandably, was left with an uncomfortable premonition of things to come...

TURN 4

At this stage, I was quite happy that the White Lions had held out against such odds, as they had managed to pin down two Orc units in combat as a result. Korhil led his Spearmen in a flank charge on the Boss-less Orcs the Lions were fighting, and the Repeater Bolt Thrower did me proud, skewering the last crew from the leftmost Spear Chukka. In close combat, however, Korhil suffered from the hands of karma as he, like the Orc Big Boss, was unable to get into base contact with any Orcs. Sadly, his Spearmen couldn’t pick up the slack for him this time, as their spears bounced off of green hide. The White Lions, though, proved once again that they didn’t really need help, hacking down three of the Orcs in front of them and two of the Boss’ Boyz on the flank. In exchange, the Orcs finally got a kill back as one White Lion fell for the “Don’t worry, dis choppa is made uv styryfoam” trick. Even so, both mobs, had had enough of dealing with the Lions, and both units broke, fleeing to the right away from the Speamen. The Boss’ Boyz narrowly escaped the pursuit of bloodthirsty Chracian Elves, but the regular Boyz weren’t as lucky, and were stabbed to death by the vicious, evil Spearmen.

In the other combat, the crew of the second Chariot kaboinked one of the Savages before it could strike. In reply, the Savages did two wounds back to the machine, but a lucky armour save spared it an ignonimous end, and the Lions nommed down another two Orcs. The Savages, beaten by a lucky armour save, ran and were cut down as they fled, the Lion Chariot narrowly missing the White Lions in its pursuit (which was lucky for me, as getting roadkilled by my own Chariot would have been a very embarrassing way for me to lose the game).

On the Orc turn, the Boss and his Boyz rallied and turned around to face the White Lions. Everything else in the Greenskin army opened fire at the unengaged Elves. Both units of Gobbos fired their shortbows at Korhil and his Spearmen, and in time-honoured Gobbo tradition, failed to hit or wound them. The other Spear Chukka, however, earned its points back, finishing off the last Chariot with an accurate bolt. The Doom Diver then loaded another crazed Gobbo onto the platform, only for said Gobbo to suddenly leap off the platform and chase after the frightened crew with a fork. Suffice to say, the Doom Diver would not be shooting for a turn after this misfire.

TURN 5

Eager to finish the Orcs off, the White Lions charged into the Boss and his Boyz. Korhil, meanwhile, led his Spearmen into a charge against the leftmost Gobbos, who turned and fled. The Repeater Bolt Thrower, meanwhile, fired into the ruckus involving the Doom Diver crew (and erstwhile missile), felling one unlucky Gobbo.

In the much-anticipated combat, the White Lion champion, ironically calling the Big Boss a pussy, strode forward and challenged him. In the ensuing, epic fight, the Champ activated the Talisman of Loec, but only managed to get one wound through the Big Boss’ rerolled armour and ward saves, and in return met a very squishy, Big Basha-related end. The rest of the White Lions, meanwhile, were shocked to find that they were in an even fight for once, chopping down three Orcs but losing two back. Combat was drawn, but the last three White Lions were now looking very outnumbered against the last handful of Orcs.

In the Greenskin turn, the Gobbos rallied, Doom Diver crew managed to sedate the bat-winged missile Gobbo long enough to load him onto the Diver and fling him at the Spearmen, squishing three. The Gobbos added to the fire with their shortbows, and impressively enough, actually managed to kill another Spearman, though the Elves passed their panic test. In close combat, the White Lions fought their heroic last stand, killing two more Boyz before falling to the Big Basha.

TURN 6

With the loss of the White Lions, the Elves desperately needed to get some points back. Once again, Korhil led the Spearmen in a charge on the leftmost Gobbos, who failed their fear test but nonetheless held their ground. The Repeater Bolter thrower, seeing only a handful of Orcs left guarding the Boss, tried to finish them off, but only succeeded in killing the unit’s champion with a lucky bolt. In close combat, Korhil and his Spearmen, quite predictably, killed six Gobbos and broke them, though the cowardly Greenskins managed to flee out of their reach.

In the final turn, the Gobbos, once again, managed to rally. The Orc boss and his last few boys turned and began to make faces at the distant Repeater Bolt Thrower, while the Doom Diver lobbed another flying Gobbo at the Spearmen. Once again, Goblin ballistics proved accurate, and another five Spearmen were splattered. Once again, however, the last of the Elves passed their panic test.

And with that last act of flying Gobbo-on-Elf violence, the game ended.

Score:

Orcs & Goblins- 769
High Elves- 699

DRAW

Lord of Nonsensical Crap
12-08-2010, 01:22
Thoughts: Well that was a pretty close game, and the final score reflects it perfectly. Initially, I was doing quite well: although my Lion Chariots pretty much bounced off thanks to combat resolution, my infantry units were mowing the Orcs and Gobbos down quite splendidly in close combat, and I more or less overwhelmed the Greenskin left and centre with my own two infantry blocks. My White Lions, in particular, were absolutely nasty once they got into chopping distance.

Even the awesomeness of my combat troops, though, couldn’t make up for the inherent fragility of my Elves, and I eventually began to suffer heavy losses from sheer attrition. The Orcs’ numbers, along with superior firepower, eventually wore my poor army down, especially with that lucky Doom Diver scatter that hit my embattled White Lions. I won’t say that I didn’t make any mistakes in this battle, though: I probably should have withheld challenging with my White Lion champ so that I could finish of the Boss’ Orcs instead, and perhaps my Chariots should have swiped at the Orc Boss when they were in combat as well.

Still, I’m not complaining too much, as that was an absolutely awesome nail-biter of a game. It’s too bad that I won’t be able to field this particular list in 8th Edition, but then again, using High Elves with the new rules is a challenge I will be looking forward to.

MVP: The White Lions were absolutely amazing in this battle, practically buzz-sawing through anything remotely green that they got into base contact with. I love this unit, and can’t wait to use them with rerolling misses in 8th edition.

LVP: This will have to go to Korhil, who had a horrible tendency to miss all game.

Opponent’s MVP The Doom Diver of Dooooooom! It whittled down my Spearmen, severely reduced my White Lions with a lucky scatter...I can honestly say that it did the most damage to my army in this battle. An honourable mention should also go to the Spear Chukka that head-shotted my poor Eagle on turn 1.

Morien awoke to agony. Pain throbbed through his chest, sending aches biting through his ribs and running down his spine with every heartbeat. He felt a dampness on his chest and on the ground underneath him, his head felt like it had been held underwater for a few hours. Slowly, he opened his eyes, and was greeted by the sight of the dawn sky, framed by several treetops and a slowly-rising pillar of smoke.

He heard faint voices in the background, and tried to sit up. A sharp lance of pain stabbing through his back told him that was a very bad idea. Slowly, the murmering voices began to coalesce and clarify as his hearing returned.

“...left him almost dead,” he heard Captain Korhil’s voice say. “That Orc will wear that axe-scar for the rest of his life, though.”

“I owe him a great deal,” a female voice said, a voice that was clearly trying to remain calm and dignified in spite of the fact that it sounded visibly shaken. “They were going to sacrifice me today. It saddens and shames me, though, that so many of your men had to die for my sake this day, Captain Korhil.”

He heard Korhil clear his throat. He wasn’t sure if it was a sound of discomfort, or of disgust.

“He’s awake!” he heard Telendar suddenly say. The next thing he knew, hands were gripping his arms, steadily supporting him, and he was being propped to his feet. He caught a glimpse of his surroundings—dead Elves and Greenskins everywhere—before he found himself face to face with a grim Korhil.

“Captain,” he rasped. His mind raced back to his last memories—his duel with the hulking Orc Boss, just before everything went black. “We win?”

Korhil gave a weary nod. “Barely,” he said. “The Greenskins have run for it. You’re lucky to be alive. That Orc nearly hacked you in two and broke most of your ribs for good measure. I’m surprised at you for taking him on like you did, though, Morien. I thought someone of your experience would have known better.”

He felt the Captain’s words sting deeply. “I’m sorry sir,” he managed to say. “What...about my men?”

Korhil stared at him for a moment, his face saying things that words didn’t need to. Morien felt a deep pang in his heard when he realized that he had led his men to their deaths. The White Lion Captain seemed to immediately recognize Morien’s shame, and patted him on the shoulder. “Don’t dwell on it. We can discuss this back in Lothern. In the meantime, we have a ship to catch.”

“A minute or two first, Captain,” the female voice said, before the voice’s owner walked into view. The ELven woman was somewhere in her middle ages, her golden hair bedraggled and unkempt, her Mage’s robes tattered and stained with dirt and blood, and visible bruising on one cheek. She had clearly seen better days, and was only barely holding herself upright, yet all the same, she still managed to maintain a semblance of dignity. But was Morien immediately noticed, though, were her eyes—the right one an azure blue, the left one a blind, discoloured grey. It was then that Morien vaguely remembered the woman’s nicknames from the dossier they had been given: Elliondra Two-Sight, Elliondra the Eccentric, Elliondra of the Strange Dreams.

The woman was staring deeply at him with those mismatched eyes of hers for a few seconds before she spoke. “Are you Morien, son of Maughral, of Chrace?”

He had no idea how Elliondra knew his lineage, but he gave her a weary nod. “Yes,” he said.

The woman nodded, as though satisfied by the answer. “A long and strange path lies ahead of you, Morien of Chrace,” she said. “You will one day receive a calling from from the Lord of Hunts, and will partake in a journey that will grant you the understanding you now lack.”

Morien stared back at the odd woman. “What?” he asked, not quite certain what he had just heard.

But Elliondra was already walking away from him, moving to join the assembled Elves. As soon as she walked out of his vision, Morien felt pain flare in his injuries, and he slipped back into unconsciousness.

Korhil’s mission was a success, albeit a costly one. Sixty percent of his force was lost in action, though the remainder, including Morien, Telendar Surestride, and Korhil the Hunter, were all personally decorated by a grateful Loremaster Teclis. Elliondra resumed her duties at the White Tower for four years after her rescue, before secluding herself in Cothique for unknown reasons.

Durikk, the Dwarven noble taken captive by the Greenskins, was discovered alive in the Orc camp and set free by Korhil’s forces. He returned safely to Karak Norn, where his uncle, the King, made a public declaration of gratitude to the Elves. Despite this, Korhil the Hunter’s name remains written in Karak Norn’s Book of Grudges.

Nothing is known of the Orc Boss who took Elliondra captive, or why he sought to sacrifice her. What little is known is that he has continued to seek out and slay Elves wherever possible, and now goes by the moniker of ‘Skarface.’

As for Morien, the White Lion Guardian of that campaign, history would have much in store for him...

forgottenlor
12-08-2010, 05:34
That dwarves-elves game we had was very memorable and one of those down to the last minute affairs, inf which I was sure I had lost, only to see a blown panic check save the game for me at the end. Thanks for the great report.:)

Desert Rain
12-08-2010, 08:11
Sounds like very fun games, and I liked the fluff as well. It adds a lot of atmosphere to a battle report in my opinion.

Toshiro
12-08-2010, 08:31
[i]It had taken them less than a day to find the Greenskin encampment. Though they were still fresh from their battle with the Greenskins, Korhil and his men had carried on their mission, buoyed by the fact that, if nothing else, the sooner they completed it, the sooner they could return safely to Ulthuan. Their numbers were greatly diminished after the battle with the Dwarfs, however, and Korhil knew that, if it came down to a frontal assault, things would be much riskier than he would have wanted. Even so, he also knew full well that every Elf under his command would carry out whatever orders he gave them, no matter the risk to their own lives.

Great reports and amazing fluff LoNC, amongst the best I've ever read, just a small thing though, marked in bold in this quote :p Looking forward to the future reports of your elves :)

Elithis Lives
12-08-2010, 09:32
Excellent write-ups, very enjoyable read with all that background thrown in. Keep 'em coming and good luck in 8th edition!

LaurentleBete
12-08-2010, 09:58
Really enjoyed reading those, thanks for posting them!

Good fluff really makes a battle imo, sets the scene and all that. Very well written reports too, the little comments you made kept me chuckling :)

Spoik
12-08-2010, 12:40
Excellent reports, thanks for posting.

The combination of solid fluff and clearly-explained in-game events reminds me of when White Dwarf battle reports were actually good.

Bonus points for the Bugs Bunny reference, as well.