PDA

View Full Version : High Points low / model army?

unknownps
12-08-2010, 03:25
Hi Guys, me and a friends are just getting into the Fantasty side
though i have followed WHFB for years

whats a good army that has a minimal amount of units but still packs a punch? , im not big on painting Alot of troops (No horde armies)

so far im thinking dwarves?

Battle of skull pass set now there cheap and a goblin hewer

any other idea's about armies?

cheers big ears

:cool:

(Bring back Maiden guard!)

SamVimes
12-08-2010, 03:29
Dwarves are a good idea. So are Warriors of Chaos. It depends whether you want more shooting options or more up-close options (and magic. Oh, and the Hellcannon). Both can be quick, relatively painless armies to paint, though WoC don't need to be as neatly painted as the dwarves (don't know if that's an issue).

Halelel
12-08-2010, 03:58
Depends on the list you want to run. For example, you can go relatively small with a chaos warrior/knight WoC list, but you can also go marauder heavy with several 40 man units which is more horde-ish. Painting up Chaos Warriors and Knights isn't too difficult and would be a great small elite army if that's what you are aiming for.

Another possible list could be a slann/salamander/saurus-heavy list. Those three units would form the bulk of your army and wouldn't require that many models (although it would be expensive $ wise)

Also, I'd avoid the Battle for Skull Pass Dwarfs if at all possible. While they are certainly cheaper than the normal box sets, the difference in quality is quite apparent. If you do plan to add on to your army later, you might regret having BFSP models mixed in with other similar units of warriors/longbeards and thunderers/quarrelers, as they do tend to stick out (not in a good way)

Lorcryst
12-08-2010, 10:30
Hmmm ... High or Dark Elves might also be a possible choice, they tend to have small, compact, elite armies.

The Blades of reason
12-08-2010, 10:34
ogres... if they are good in 8th as i don't know yet

Orcboy_Phil
12-08-2010, 10:36
Another for ogres, very low model count, easy and quick to paint if you go sunburnt and very light on the wallet.

edit: Also Daemons are very cheap as well even the expensive greater daemons could be made on the cheap with the new daemon prince kit.

librerian_samae
12-08-2010, 10:52
Another backer for ogres here, a single battalion box will net you around 1000pts+ if your willing to covert some characters, then all you need is a scrapa launcher and possibly a gorger or 2 and bang thats a lotta points for not much money.

Demrog
12-08-2010, 11:19
It also depends on what points limit you are aiming at as well as what you mean by low model count.

I wouldn't put dwarves as a low model count army though, certainly it is when you compare it against orcs and goblins and skaven, but generally I fielded over 100 dwarves in 2k games although that was in 7th Ed and I haven't played with/against them so far in 8th.

My 7th Ed WoC army was 46 models at 2250pts by comparison.

you could go for WoC with either CW/Knights as mentioned, also a Throgg Troll army is low model count.

Other than that I'd go with one of the other suggestions in this thread.

Echunia
12-08-2010, 12:01
I agree with Demrog. dwarves may be easy to paint but they are no low model count army.

Now if your just looking for low model count and not just easy to paint then demons are ok aswell. But they need abit more skill to look good than say WoC.

You should also be warned that elite armies don't really have the same merits as they had in 7th so you may find them very frustrating to play. This may be countered by going with ogres.