PDA

View Full Version : Do GW manufacture their minis in China now?

Luthor
12-08-2010, 04:26
So my order of Executioners arrived today and I opened up a box to find a wonderful surprise. The plastic that holds the models looked like it had at one point been partially melted. Upon closer inspection is looks like they knew it before shipping it out, the bases were in a small bag instead of just loose like my other boxes of Executioners. So they packaged them in a partially melted case. Luckily all the models were fine, but seriously? Where's the quality control? Just something I thought about while cutting new neck holes for my miscast dark elf torsos.

starlight
12-08-2010, 04:40
Nope, minis are made and packaged in Lenton, UK, and Memphis, US.

GW's Customer Service is traditionally pretty good, so call or email them a photo of the affected parts, and usually they'll drop replacements in the mail. :)

gwarsh41
12-08-2010, 04:52
Yup, I am actually happy when I get a miscast, sure it is frustrating because the "YAY I GOT A NEW MINI" rush is interrupted by "MAH MINI IS BROKE!" but then you call GW, they send you a new one, and you have 2 kits worth of bits!
Of course, if you order online it is very very easy, my LGS apparently has problems with replacements... which I why I order online :)

AndrewGPaul
12-08-2010, 08:41
Upon closer inspection is looks like they knew it before shipping it out, the bases were in a small bag instead of just loose like my other boxes of Executioners.

Since you've said nothing about the actual miniatures being damaged, I assume someone (quite reasonably) thought that minor damage to the internal packaging wasn't worth bothering with. It's got nothing to do with the bases being in bags - I think they just do that with their box sets now.

blongbling
12-08-2010, 09:01
Generally all the bases come in bags now as well, they have machines specifically to measure out the amount of bases needed and seal them into bags. The manufacturing process won't stop at one box, look at it and try to fix it as the whole process is too big

eriochrome
12-08-2010, 13:31
I remember in another recent thread people tried to blame the poor binding of GW books on them now being produced in China but as far as I can remember GW books always had bad binding.

The Clairvoyant
12-08-2010, 14:04
On a vaguely related point, it annoys me that the non-slotta bases have that little rounded dip in the top. But i do like the fact they come in little bags instead of loose.

Lars Porsenna
12-08-2010, 16:03
I usually don't find the little dip at the top of non-slottas much of a hinderance. It gets covered with sand and flock eventually anyway...

Damon.

spaint2k
12-08-2010, 17:24
On a vaguely related point, it annoys me that the non-slotta bases have that little rounded dip in the top. But i do like the fact they come in little bags instead of loose.

It's way better than the scar you used to get on the edge of the base where the old ones had the sprue (cross-shaped injection point holding four bases together).

Wintermute
12-08-2010, 19:46
I've deleted a number of off-topic posts.

Wintermute

TheBigBadWolf
12-08-2010, 20:56
So my order of Executioners arrived today and I opened up a box to find a wonderful surprise. The plastic that holds the models looked like it had at one point been partially melted. Upon closer inspection is looks like they knew it before shipping it out, the bases were in a small bag instead of just loose like my other boxes of Executioners. So they packaged them in a partially melted case. Luckily all the models were fine, but seriously? Where's the quality control? Just something I thought about while cutting new neck holes for my miscast dark elf torsos.

Why are you complaining about the box that comes inside another box being damaged, the box goes in the bin/recycling after you have taken the models out, what is the big deal:wtf:

Luthor
13-08-2010, 00:02
Minor damage? Lol, I just pulled it out the trash bin and got a good laugh again. I was just worried that their quality control was slipping, especially since they knew about it when the packaged it (all my other Exe boxes came with the bases loose). Plus only 1/2 my DE warrior heads were usable (the eyes were filled in) I wondered what was going on. Maybe just bad luck.

Bloodknight
13-08-2010, 00:06
The ones with the loose bases must have been older boxes. I haven't had any box with bases not in bags at least for a year or so.

blongbling
13-08-2010, 09:22
Minor damage? Lol, I just pulled it out the trash bin and got a good laugh again. I was just worried that their quality control was slipping, especially since they knew about it when the packaged it (all my other Exe boxes came with the bases loose). Plus only 1/2 my DE warrior heads were usable (the eyes were filled in) I wondered what was going on. Maybe just bad luck.

My previous post appears to have been deleted so here is the gist of it again. The GW production line isn't set up to detect a single box that is defective, fix it and put it back on the line again, it would just get rejected. GW started using a bagging machine for bases years ago so they didn't see the box, repack it, bag up the bases and slip it out just for you I am afraid

isaac
14-08-2010, 09:29
The binding is done in china and I have noticed a substantial drop in quality. My 5th ed SM codex is falling apart, while the 4th ed is in better condition despite being used more.

Wintermute
14-08-2010, 10:37
Its not just the binding. GW rule books have been printed in China for several years now.

Sgt John Keel
14-08-2010, 12:48
Its not just the binding. GW rule books have been printed in China for several years now.

Yes, the ink seems to be of questionable quality as well; it will often 'rub off' on the opposite page.

isaac
15-08-2010, 18:27
The binding is what really annoyed me though, just another incentive to leave GW behind.