PDA

View Full Version : Question about the Grail Relique (model)

dooombot
12-08-2010, 04:48
Until I can save up some extra throwaway cash to spend on the actual Grail Relique model, I've decided to use a stand in, and make the Battle Pilgrims with the Men at Arms and Empire Free Company kits. Is the Relique itself mounted on a cavalry base or a chariot base? I can't really tell from the pictures in the Army book.

Tarian
12-08-2010, 04:57
I think it's 60 by 80mm, or 3x4 regular models. Not entirely sure though, just basing that off of vague memories of playing against one a few times.

Orcboy_Phil
12-08-2010, 06:24
I think its actually on a 40mm looking at the pics in the book.

edit: nope 60x40mm

JonnyTHM
12-08-2010, 12:47
40 mm by 60 mm, i.e 2x3. See www.games-workshop.com for a picture. Also, the fact that it used to be unit strength 6 (when there was such thing).

chivalrous
12-08-2010, 13:03
Just to confirm that it is on 40mm x 60mm base. When I was still playing Brettonians I gave them an Ulric theme* and used Teutogen Guard** for the pilgrims with Ar-Ulric, a Musician and a standard bearer for the relique.
Ar-Ulric was built up onto a 40mm base, standing on top of the rock base that came with the limited edition Black Library Malus Darkblade, while the standard and musician stood immediately in front of him.

*I'm aware that Ulric isn't traditionally associated with Brettonians, but just as the Empire shares its time between Sigmar, Ulric et al, I don't see why the Brets can't worship some of the older gods as well as the Lady. It helps as well when the army in question is on the borders of the Empire and there is a tradition of intermarrying with Imperial nobles as part of a peace treaty along that particular stretch of the border.
**It requires a little stretch of your imagination but the cult of Ulric is supported by the Lord of the family to tend his personal temple. He provides their arms and armour but at the end of the day, they are still only peasantry. The Relique rules in this case represent the priest of Ulric driving their determination in battle.

dooombot
13-08-2010, 04:59
Thanks for the help guys.

Thats a pretty unique size model-base, huh? I can't think of any other GW model that comes with that base size...

jullevi
13-08-2010, 05:14
Thanks for the help guys.

Thats a pretty unique size model-base, huh? I can't think of any other GW model that comes with that base size...

Skarsnik and Gobbla, Thorgrim Grudgebearer and Harry the Hammer also use 40x60mm (or 60x40mm for Skarsnik).

Aergren
13-08-2010, 05:41
Would any one have a problem with the model being based on a different sized base? I know that in 7th it wouldn't have mattered as much but now in 8th I can see it make more of a difference.

dooombot
14-08-2010, 03:44
It still matters for completing ranks

Duke Georgal
14-08-2010, 07:00
Would any one have a problem with the model being based on a different sized base? I know that in 7th it wouldn't have mattered as much but now in 8th I can see it make more of a difference.

Mine is on a 40mm by 80mm base. The model represents the relique and two pilgrims. There are two removable flags that represent the pilgrims to keep accuate track of wounds. No one has ever had a problem with it.

By the way, my model is a funeral cart carrying a deceased grail knight back to the realm for proper burial. Much more respectful than the GW model. I hate that model. Such disrespect for a glorious knight. That abomination should never have been sculpted.

Lantern
14-08-2010, 10:40
Mine came with 3 parts to make the main base (a regular "pegasus knight" sized monster base and two pilgrim, sized infantry bases). I glued mine to some flat card and once it based and painted, it merely looks like an ordinary base. Picture something akin to two cavalry bases side by side in terms of dimensions and you get the idea.