PDA

View Full Version : Themed armies and counts as???

Melvaius
12-08-2010, 11:37
Ok so I have got back into warhammer fantasy after years of inactivity (trawling through the BFRB right now got to say this is shaping up to be one of the finest rulesets i've had the pleasure to read). So this got me thinking hmmm I really want to do an army. I've gone for a 'Chaos Orc' themed force so basically an orc only force with chaotic/khornate elements. This got me wondering how do I field it, personally I want to field it as a WoC army so orc boys as marauders, big uns as Chaos Warriors and Blorcs as Chosen etc etc all modelled in a suitably chaotic way. But how would this stand up at tourney or if I just wanted to play in store. As fellow gamers how would you prefer to play against a force that was obviously chaotic in appearance but based on orc models, orc rules or WoC rules, has any one ever had an experience of a counts as army that was disputed?

Daniel36
12-08-2010, 11:54
Tournaments would probably not allow it but who cares man? Tournaments aren't the only way to play. Find some people that play the game for the fun of it and for the stories that unfold while playing, and you're set. Use your army in a narrative campaign and just don't play people who only play to win. I don't... I cerate armies that I like the look of and of which I have a cool story. None of my armylists are made to win, and I don't care.

Desert Rain
12-08-2010, 12:11
I think that sounds like a really cool idea, and creative use of the ABs and miniatures are always a good thing. There are always some jerks who won't let you do it, but just ignore them.

Melvaius
12-08-2010, 12:19
Thanks guys that encouraging, looks like this will be an expensive job as I will be kit bashing a lot of stuff. Still wondering if I should paint the orcs a redish colour though??? Its going to be a while before this beast hits the table....

Mage
12-08-2010, 14:19
I saw red chaos orcs in a whitde dwarf a while back, it looked cool. There was a chaos spawn that was just a bunch of squigs melded together and painted red also.

*******' awesome

PS: Can't believe the site blocked out the word 'freekin'

Hrokka `Eadsplitter
12-08-2010, 14:43
@Mage: Are you sure you wrote freekin'?:p

Melvaius: What a great idea! Do it:)

danny-d-b
12-08-2010, 15:26
go with it- sounds like a great idea- I play with a empire chaos force (swordsmen as marruders, knightly orders as knights, nurglised ogers as DOs e.c.t.) and yet I get a bit of 'mocking' for it but its works well

Kampfpanzer
12-08-2010, 16:58
My empire army is the "Sylvannian Legion of the Damned". Half my models are skeles with halberds (using brett halb blades) and my Greatswords are graveguard units led by a human command and warrior priest. My war altar is a converted corpse cart with a golden fel bat instead of griffon and my Arch Lector and Wizard Lord are the Mannfred and Vlad models respectively as they are vampires fluff-wise. I do have war machines, warrior priest, BSBs, Knights and 90 state troops (well about 50 actual state troops, I use converted bretts for fillers because I prefer their halberd models) so it's a bit 50/50 "counts as" models.

If I was told I couldn't use this army in a GW tourney, I'd be cut as I spent a lot of time and money making my skeles look Empireish and they are the reason I bought them.

Spoik
12-08-2010, 17:09
You should definitely go for it, if you think it's cool and you're enthusiastic about it. That's what makes an army great.

Speaking personally, I would rather fight that force if it used Orc rather than Chaos rules. That way, I wouldn't have the headache of trying to remember what everything is (the peril of entire 'counts as' armies), and it would avoid oddities where profiles don't match up (why would Khorne bless those boys to be loads faster, but much less tough?).

SamVimes
12-08-2010, 17:20
I'd do this:
Write a list that's WoC that makes sense.
Write a list that's O+G that makes sense and uses the same minis as the WoC one.
Write an allies list with units from both for a laugh.

That way, wherever you go, you'll have an army that someone will play against.

Melvaius
12-08-2010, 21:45
Thanks for the info guys does any one no of any sites that supply bitz and sprues as its gonna be hardcore buying all the kits i need for this project. I.e a whole 15 box of knights just for the shoulder armour and shield.

Bac5665
12-08-2010, 22:02
I play tournaments regularly and I've never seen a counts as army turned away. Nor have I ever heard of someone refusing to play one in a pick up game.

So knock yourself out.