PDA

View Full Version : Best Black Libary Books?

Middenmordheimer
12-08-2010, 12:31
I thought since we have a worst black libary books thread we may as well have a best book thread. Now i havnt read many and i cant say i have a favourite so what can you recommend?

Jedi152
12-08-2010, 12:43
My all time favourites are the Blood on the Reik trilogy, Death's Messenger, Death's City and Death's Legacy, but here's a list that i really enjoyed:

Guardians of the Forest,
Zavant,
The Laughter of Dark Gods,
Bloodborn,
Necromancer,
Ancient Blood,
The Corrupted,
The Enemy Within,
Witch Hunter.

DarthSte
12-08-2010, 13:01
I enjoyed Kim Newman Jack Yeovil's novels, Beasts in Velvet probably most. Eisenhorn was pretty good too.

Magos Saphentos
12-08-2010, 14:04
Well as i've just given my worst opinion in the other thread, my favourite Bl books are Storm of Iron, The Eisenhorn Trilogy, The Last chancers and the Times of Legend books.

wolf99
12-08-2010, 14:06
I enjoyed Kim Newman Jack Yeovil's novels

Absolutely.

I have a soft spot for Zaragoz by Brian Craig too.

Oguleth
12-08-2010, 14:31
For 40k, Soul Hunter (barely beating Path of the Warrior). Mostly due to characters and setting up action right, just what I want from a BL book.

For Fantasy, Drachenfels (barely beating Skavenslayer). Not really sure how to explain why, but the mood was the biggest factor perhaps.

Fist of Crimson
12-08-2010, 15:03
The only black library book I have read multiple times is Beasts in Velvet. Great fun.

I will probably re-read Horus Rising again at some point so that would be my second choice.

Proctorkorps
12-08-2010, 15:38
I loved Storm of Iron, Honsou is one of my fav characters and i love it when he pops into the uriel ventris smurf books, and guardians of the forest was really cool, fav WHF book

also i loved Emperor's Mercy. it was brutal and 40k-ish, it was awesome, probably my fav 40k book

Desert Rain
12-08-2010, 15:50
The Genevieve novels by Kim Newman/Jack Yeovil

mrtn
12-08-2010, 16:12
I enjoyed the middle era Bill King 'slayer books. And Palace of the Plague Lord by C L Werner.

ltsobel
12-08-2010, 16:27
Gaunts Ghost series, Space Marine, Cain Series but the best to me are the old collections - Wolf Riders, Deathwing and Ignorant Armies. I am really enjoying Mr D-Bs recent novels though.

chilledenuff
12-08-2010, 16:27
The Genevieve novels by Kim Newman/Jack Yeovil
+1 A great read.

Lars Porsenna
12-08-2010, 16:56
One of the first Warhammer novels I read was Drachenfels. I was actually inspired to read it after reading a WHFRPG write up of Genevieve in an old White Dwarf. Ahh, those were the days...

I also really enjoyed Storm Warriors when that came out, way back when. I was a kid back then.

More recently, I really enjoyed Lord of Night by Spurrier. I haven't read much WH fantasy stuff, but I might pick up the WE book now...

Damon.

Ar-Gimilzor
12-08-2010, 17:04
The Orpheo trilogy was pretty good, along with Laughter of the Dark Gods, Guardians of the Forest and various short stories I can't remember the names of. Oh, and Blood for the Blood God was pretty solid too. I have a soft spot for Darkblade, but that has more to do with the fact that the Druchii are my favourite faction... Warpsword was terrible.

Tregar
12-08-2010, 17:05
I think Runefang was really good. It's nice when you have a novel that includes a lot of battles but not just because they have to, but because it's about a fully-fledged WAR for once!

Bloody Nunchucks
12-08-2010, 18:54
i like the gotrek and felix series, the blackhearts series, and gaunts ghosts series. and guardians of the forest was pretty good, as was double eagle.

Nagash
12-08-2010, 18:59
I like the first 3 Gotrek & Felix books.

The series does go rather downhill after them and there is a lot of whining from Felix.

NightAngel
12-08-2010, 19:17
The Cain series and just finished "Scourge The Heretic" with was pretty good.

mrtn
12-08-2010, 19:30
Thinking about it I enjoy a lot more of the comics than the books. It's a pity they ditched Warhammer Monthly...

Wilhelmh
12-08-2010, 21:25
Most of the books seems to be human/empire based, anyone know if there are any Wood Elf books other than Guardians of the Forest?

CaptainSenioris
12-08-2010, 21:40
As always Storm of Iron is way up there, but recently I've really enjoyed the Eisenhorn books and Titanicus.

The Song of Spears
13-08-2010, 19:23
I loved Scourge the Heretic and Innocence Proves Nothing - neither exceptionally well written in technical terms - but they give a awesome first-person account of a wide variety of life in 40k. You know, the regular people, servants, nobels, scum, hookers, guardsmen on remote planets, and others.

I am reading the Enforcer (Shira Calpurnia) books now and they are technically great and great story too! Go get them! :)

Formosus
13-08-2010, 21:57
I've really enjoyed all of Nathan Long's installments in the Gotrek and Felix saga, especially Orcslayer, which I avoided reading for a long time because I thought it would be horrible/boring.

Also, Guardians of the Forest is very good, though I happen to love Bretonnians and I might just be grasping for any piece of fiction that involves them.

Anyone know a good one that focuses on High Elves? I tried reading Defenders of Ulthuan but I couldn't make it through.

Wilhelmh
13-08-2010, 23:35
I've really enjoyed all of Nathan Long's installments in the Gotrek and Felix saga, especially Orcslayer, which I avoided reading for a long time because I thought it would be horrible/boring.

Also, Guardians of the Forest is very good, though I happen to love Bretonnians and I might just be grasping for any piece of fiction that involves them.

Anyone know a good one that focuses on High Elves? I tried reading Defenders of Ulthuan but I couldn't make it through.

Malekith and Shadow King, they're pretty good, now only if I can find more wood elf titles.

Lost_Heretic
14-08-2010, 00:18
Drachenfels and it's sequels by Jack Yeovil are outstanding.

Riders of the Dead is cool if you like Kislev, but Dan Abnett takes some liberties.

I really wish that Robert Earl had finished the series he began with Ancient Blood.

Verm1s
14-08-2010, 00:21
There are a few sets of fiction that I like to go back to, every so often, to sink into until I've read all of every volume. One's the Eisenhorn trilogy.

Trollslayer holds up well too, along with Skavenslayer and Daemonslayer. The series sort of sloped away after that, IMO.

but the best to me are the old collections - Wolf Riders, Deathwing and Ignorant Armies.

I found an old, worn copy of Ignorant Armies in a second hand bookshop some time ago. I have to say it beats most stuff I've read from the BL, in the ten or so years since I discovered it.

Thinking about it I enjoy a lot more of the comics than the books. It's a pity they ditched Warhammer Monthly...

Darkblade, Titan, Kal Jerico, The Redeemer, Bloodquest, Daemonifuge, Deff Skwadron, Tales From The Ten-Tailed Cat... :) And other names that stuck, like Paul Jeacock, Anthony Williams, Kev Hopgood, Colin MacNeil, Wayne Reynolds, Tiernan Trevallion...

Now I've made myself nostalgic and depressed. It helps if I remember they printed clangers like Deathwatch and Hammerbildt near the end.

Jedi152
14-08-2010, 10:29
I'll point out that Warhammer comics are still made by Boom! Studios.

BobtheInquisitor
14-08-2010, 10:44
I thought Boom! stopped making warhammer comics a year ago.

Verm1s
15-08-2010, 21:35
I'll point out that Warhammer comics are still made by Boom! Studios.

I edited out the bit I said about Boom! Studios, 'cos this is the best BL topic :D
The few issues I saw looked at least as bad as the worst WHM stories. IIRC one was some generic, mediocre scribble (by the writer and artist. But the Karl Richardson cover sucked me in) where only the IG uniforms told you it was 40K. Another had terrible jellylike, badly coloured, thickly-outlined Poser models in place of art.
They were a joke, 'nuff said. Either it makes a mockery of GW's fear of devaluing their IP through licensed products, or it helps explain it. As far as I can see, Boom! were only trying to make a quick buck off the license.

And yeah, what BobtheInquisitor said. Good thing too.

Jedi152
15-08-2010, 21:48
It was a long shot, they aren't BL... ;)

I can't say i've ever read one, but i was tempted to pick up the WFB one, Condemned by Fire.

BobtheInquisitor
16-08-2010, 01:19
There's at least one good Boom! comic: the Dan Abnett one about the Ork warboss who thinks that some green-slimed IG is his lucky gretchin. That one wasn't quite as good as Deff Swadron, but it was close.

As for the books I like the best... I'm pretty easy to please. Any book that I'm tempted to reread is a hit with me. By this metric, the first four Ciaphas Cain novels are my favorite BL books since I've read them at least 4 times each. The only authors I've reread more are Stephen King and H.P. Lovecraft. I've also read some of the King Gotrek and Felix books 2 or 3 times, as well as certain scenes in Eisenhorn and Necropolis. Blood for the Blood God has some great battles, and some epic Chaos Wastes scenes that I've already reread, as well as a scene or two from Defenders of Ulthuan ("We sail for Ulthuan. Now."). Thousand Sons is right up there, too. Blackhearts is another one worth a re-skimming.

Oh, I can't decide!

Oh, wait, I forgot about how much I love Execution Hour! What an awesome book!

Sheena Easton
16-08-2010, 22:56
Wine Of Dreams is the best by far in terms of Warhammer, Double Eagle for 40K

Other good ones are Necropolis (let down by the last few chapters), the Calpuria ones, Drachenfels, The Eisenhorn Trilogy

Aedes
17-08-2010, 11:07
Just reading through the Warhammer Time of Legends series.
Empire was quite good.
and just now I am reading Shadow King, which I enjoy very much.

Balog
17-08-2010, 16:06
What short story compendiums has BL published? I have "Let the Galaxy Burn" and one of the "...of the Space Marines" from 40K, and "Tales of the Old World" for Fantasy but I know there are others.

sparks
17-08-2010, 16:48
I assumed this would be a fantasy BL discussion, but there seems to be a lot of people mentioning 40k books, not sure if that's what the OP planned? Anyway, ignoring my pedantry, I'm a big Abnett fan, including Gaunt,Eisenhorn, etc, but I think his WFB ones are worth reading. Just re-read the second slayer omnibus and ploughed through it at an alarming rate, great bed time reading! I personally really enjoyed the Witch Hunter series, and never got around to reading the final book, so I would recommend the omnibus for that one as well.

@Lost_Heretic- What liberties were you thinking of in Riders of the Dead?

@ Verm1s- Ignorant Armies was my first ever Warhammer book, still got it in crumpled form somewhere! My first taste of Gotrek and Felix and if I remember a short story that was very similar to Riders of the Dead?

and finally, Kim Newman of Empire magazine fame wrote warhammer novels? Having read the magazine for over 10 years and played warhammer for over 15 I'm surprised I never came across that nugget(if I've supposed correctly!)!

BobtheInquisitor
17-08-2010, 19:10
Yes, Kim Newman write some very good Warhammer novels. They are compiled together in the Vampire Genevieve omnibus.

Sheena Easton
17-08-2010, 21:05
Guardians of the Forest

I liked that apart from teh Wardancers and the bit that ripped off a David Gemmell novel

Necromancer

I forgot about that - it is brilliant!

fer
17-08-2010, 21:20
blackheart omnibus was a winner...I have enjoyed all the gotrek and felix books though they do carry on a bit..

the space wolves books are probably my favorite 40k ones so far

Damocles8
17-08-2010, 23:21
I've really liked Reiksguard and Grimblades; the other two were decent; just started Sword of Justice. And the Knight Errant and Knight of the Realm were entertaining reads; can't wait for the next one....

Jedi152
18-08-2010, 08:09
And the Knight Errant and Knight of the Realm were entertaining reads; can't wait for the next one....
Guess what? ... There won't be one. :(

They're releasing a Knights of Bretonnia omnibus with Knight Errant, Knight of the Realm and a novella which presumably ties the story up.

Which is really frustrating to say that KOTR ended on a real downer.

RobC
18-08-2010, 08:34
There's a novella called Questing Knight by Anthony Reynolds, which will be published in the first issue of Hammer and Bolter. And it will be free...

DarthSte
19-08-2010, 12:00
and finally, Kim Newman of Empire magazine fame wrote warhammer novels? Having read the magazine for over 10 years and played warhammer for over 15 I'm surprised I never came across that nugget(if I've supposed correctly!)!

Kim Newman wrote under the nom-de-plume of Jack Yeovil for his Warhammer (and Dark Future) novels. That's probably why you didn't know.

Verm1s
19-08-2010, 15:15
Currently reading the Ravenor Omnibus. I read Ravenor some time ago but couldn't get my hands on the other two (that is, without buying Ravenor again, attached to them. But I gave in). Reminded how great Dan Abnett's descriptions and interpretations of ordinary life on hive/industrial worlds are, far away from the tan-tan-taraa of the gotta-catch-'em-all SM novels. And the descriptions and interpretations of the hive/industrial world itself. If only he'd've cut down on the fr***ing language and half-euphemisms, 'realistic' as it might be. You're not doing Sinister/Dexter here, Mr. Abnett...

Dark Aly
19-08-2010, 21:40
vampire wars omnibus, liber necris and chaotica (i think they are all black library) although gaunts ghosts are pretty good too.

yukimura01
19-08-2010, 23:53
ive always really liked gileads blood and darkblade both quite dark stories but awesome or farseer in 40k tht book is awesome cant believe they only wrote 1 :(
or if i want something more light hearted ill have a read of the first few gotrek and felix books up to the teclis and tyrion one as goes downhill with the newer author just isnt as good in my opinion anyway :)

Lost_Heretic
20-08-2010, 01:32
vampire wars omnibus,

I would not recommend it. Steven Saville had an interesting first five chapters but his characters are so cliche and the dialogue feels like they were ripped out of an 80's action flick. In summary, I felt like I'd seen everything before and the author didn't have, well, imagination.

Damocles8
20-08-2010, 14:59
Guess what? ... There won't be one. :(

They're releasing a Knights of Bretonnia omnibus with Knight Errant, Knight of the Realm and a novella which presumably ties the story up.

Which is really frustrating to say that KOTR ended on a real downer.

It's gonna have Questing Knight and Grail Knight in it, checked the BL and it had it up there....

Jedi152
20-08-2010, 15:46
They've edited it since i last looked.

Bloody Nunchucks
20-08-2010, 18:33
vampire wars was also pretty good. I think Nathon long does just as good of a job with the Gotrek and Felix series as William King did, he just has a very different style.

blackhearts, guardians of the forest, swords of the empire = all good novels

Lord of Divine Slaughter
20-08-2010, 18:35
Kim Newman wrote under the nom-de-plume of Jack Yeovil for his Warhammer (and Dark Future) novels. That's probably why you didn't know.

I read the Guenivieve vampire stories, and they were actually quite good :)

angrySCORCH62
22-08-2010, 22:54
I've only read one fully so far, Salamander and I enjoyed it, i'm just waiting for Dark Apostle to be delivered so I can begin reading the Word Bearers Trilogy.

Grimthug
23-08-2010, 16:20
Fantasy: The Ambassador Chronicles
40k: Storm of Iron
Horus Heresy: False Gods

It looks like I'm a Graham MacNeil fanboy. I will say that two of the three books convinced me to make armies of the books. I have a huge Iron Warriors army and a Kislev force for warhammer. Riders of the dead by Abnett played a large part in that as well.

Grimthug

Helikaon
23-08-2010, 18:48
Fantasy:

Trollslayer. No other book has managed to get so many of the different facets of WHF into the story (well, stories).

Honourable mentions go to: Guardian's of the Forest, Witch Hunter and Palace of the Plague Lord

40K:

Soul Hunter. I'm kinda biased with this as it's about one of my favorite armies, but I've never been grabbed by a book as much as I was with SH. I couldn't put it down, I was just completely drawn into the story and the characters.

Honourable mentions: First And Only, Straight Silver, Blood Pact, Path of the Warrior, Storm of Iron and Malleus

snakezenn
27-08-2010, 22:59
Any of the cain books for 40K. For fantasy Necromancer and the Sigmar series.

EmperorNorton
29-08-2010, 10:09
I enjoyed the Genevieve Omnibus and have to echo the praise for Guardians of the Forest, although I didn't like the ending.

Also I'm very surprised to see Palace of the Plague Lord being mentioned here. As far as I'm concerned that's the worst of the worst.

madden
29-08-2010, 11:55
For fantasy the gotrek and felix ones and vampwars and malus,
for 40k gaunts ghosts, but first I love the Cain series it dosen't take it's self seriously and there fun, the inquisitor ones (esienhorn/ravenor/inquis wars)they are more deep and good if you have time,
finaly I like the dark future ones just wish they finished the story arc.

Lord Lorne Walkier
30-08-2010, 08:10
Storm of Iron was great. I loved Horus rising. Soul Hunter was damm good also. I have liked most of the HH stuff so far. Double eagle was fun.

Plebian
06-09-2010, 04:50
Anything by ADB.

The Inquisitor War trilogy.

Abaraxas
07-09-2010, 06:55
Gotrek and Felix are awesome-I really enjoy those stories.
Wolf Riders was great-the stories in there are all top notch.
The first three Horus Heresy Books were very enjoyable.
I loved Space Marine back in the day too, I havent read it since way back but I have fond memories.
Enjoyed Rynns World too.
I havent read too many BL books.

Awilla the Hun
07-09-2010, 17:19
Mistress Baeda's Gift out of Fear the Alien.

Not a book, but (as it involves situations apart from inquisitorial conspiracies or Guard/Marines/Sisters firing boltguns at people) it's among the best damn things ever to come out of Black Library.

Hialmar
07-09-2010, 19:26
In no particular order for 40K I would say the Caiphus Cain Books, Eisenhorn/Ravenor trilogies, Gaunts Ghost, Brothers of the Snake, The Ultramarine Books with Uriel Ventris, the first three Space Wolf books, Storm of Iron by Graham McNeil and off and on various of the Horus Heresy books.

Fantasy I think has been not as good generally but I thought "The Burning Shore" by Robert Earl was very good, Heldenhammer was also very good and a few of the Gotrek and Felix books are okay and probably the best of the lot.

I think that some of the "collections" of short stories are their best work as even if one or two stories are off, the rest of the book makes up for it usually. In this regard "Tales of the Old World, Let the Galaxy Burn and Legends of the Space Marines" are my three favorites.

27-12-2010, 22:05
Reiksguard.

I have just finished reading it, after it was recommended by a friend.

Seriously the best BL book printed to date.

No issues with vocabulary, references, plot, timeframes, editting.

This is the standard that BL should be aiming for. Not pandering to their present stable of lacklustre authours and their half-offerings.

bound for glory
28-12-2010, 22:58
first 3 horus books. great reads, everyone. none of the others in this series even comes close.

Freak Ona Leash
29-12-2010, 23:23
Horus Rising is one for sure.

Helsreach and Soul Hunter as well.

Titanicus is quite good, as is Angels of Darkness.

Fantasy novels? Well...not many of them are terribly great, unfortunately.

MajorWesJanson
03-01-2011, 23:35
Cain series
Eisenhorn Trilogy
A Thousand Sons
The First Heretic
Titanicus
Helsreach
Grey Knight
Faith and Fire
The Saint omnibus

ORKY ARD BOYZ
04-01-2011, 04:47
Helsreach, Horus Rising, Legion, Gaunt's Ghosts series, Soul Hunter

Spadge981
08-02-2011, 07:43
Gaunts Ghost omnibus The Saint ! fantastic story arc and that bloody cuu !

Svorlrik
08-02-2011, 10:29
Shadow King. This is my high elf bible. If I need any high elf fantasy inspiration, I only need to re-read one of the battles from this book and I'm ready for war! Roll on Caledor!

Londinium
08-02-2011, 17:22
first 3 horus books. great reads, everyone. none of the others in this series even comes close.

Really? I found Galaxy in Flames weeeeak. Aside from Kharn's little cameo which was nice to see.

laudarkul
10-02-2011, 10:43
HH series, Gaunt's series, Eisenhorn, Titanicus, Storm of Iron, Cadian Blood, Soul Hunter,Time of Legends, The Ambassador Chronicles, Riders of the Dead, Double Eagle, Iron Snakes, Tactica Imperialis.

Mirbeau
15-02-2011, 23:55
Reiksguard.

This is the standard that BL should be aiming for. Not pandering to their present stable of lacklustre authours and their half-offerings.

Agreed, I really dislike fantasy/sci-fi novels but this was a suprisingly good read, even if it ended up being predictable/losing its way in the last 1/5.

Jedi152
16-02-2011, 15:40
Reiksguard.

I've said this before, but Richard really did his homework for this one. He explained at BL Live '09 that he studied books on medieval warfare and even got his re-enactor friends to act out scenes to make sure they flow.

One particular duel scene he maintains can be acted out blow-for-blow as per the descriptions in the book.

Fantasy novels? Well...not many of them are terribly great, unfortunately.
Some are boring generic fantasy novels, but there are some real gems which are higher quality than most 40k novels - some of which, by the authors admission, are generic space marine fanboy slugfests.

Fantasy has to work harder because it doesn't have Space Marines to fall back on. BL know they can knock out a generic book by a certain chapter, heaps loads of gore in it, and all that chapter's young fans will buy it and rave about it being the best book ever.

Dead.Blue.Clown
16-02-2011, 18:15
BL know they can knock out a generic book by a certain chapter, heaps loads of gore in it, and all that chapter's young fans will buy it and rave about it being the best book ever.

BL know they can do the same with Fantasy, in all honesty. All publishers of licensed settings know it. Fans of armies will almost always be better disposed to fiction of their faction.

Jesus, that last sentence is hellish.

I see your point, though. Although it's not a case of any author intentionally trying to coast (at least, not one worth their salt), and even though I'm the first in line to confess I dislike a lot of sci-fi and fantasy (BL included), I know what you mean. Some average jazz can be lauded by virtue of it being about a popular faction/army. Nature of the beast, and all that.

But I don't really think that, overall, WHF and 40K has a different process, or that one is ultimately more forgiving. It's no easier to write a great 40K novel than it is to write a great WHF one, f'rex. The author's care and attention will show just as much as his or her skill, come the final page.

On a curious sidenote, 40K is so much more popular that there are a great any more opinions to conflict with one another, though.

Jedi152
16-02-2011, 21:35
Good point well made, fiction from settings with established fans are always going to have differing opinions, people who aren't familiar with,or don't like, the setting aren't going to enjoy the books and will deride them, whereas fans will often enjoy them regardless.

I perceive fantasy books to be better simply because i'm not as much of a fan of 40k. I'm a 'square-baser' pure and true ;). I think it's fair to say that they are equal, and that there are plenty of both good and bad 40k/wfb books.

On the whole, it must be tough to write and produce books for such a niche market.

Private_SeeD
18-02-2011, 20:25
Hope you guys can help me decide, I jst finished reading the new DA book 'purging of Khaldius' and can't decide on what to read next it's a toss up between 'Dead Men Walking' or 'Salamander' any reviews or opinions would be much appreciated

troszkowsky
19-02-2011, 00:40
I don't read, collect, or play Warhammer Fantasy. If I read Fantasy, it's usually Forgotten Realms or Tolkien.

For 40K: Eisenhorn and/or Ravenor Omnibus. Close behind that is Descent of Angels from HH. I am currently on Chapter Ten of Fallen Angels, and so far, it looks like it's definitely going to make the list.

Admittedly, I am a bit biased on Dark Angels history, so my best picks of HH are really mostly for my desire to expand upon the short histories I've read in the various Codex over the years.

-T

BobtheInquisitor
19-02-2011, 21:25
Hope you guys can help me decide, I jst finished reading the new DA book 'purging of Khaldius' and can't decide on what to read next it's a toss up between 'Dead Men Walking' or 'Salamander' any reviews or opinions would be much appreciated

Dead Men Walking is my recommendation. It's not as action-packed as you would expect, but it is definitely Grimdark. There is a lot of character work in the vein of more recent HH books, so if you like that approach, you'll like Dead Men Walking.

Salamander was just plain uncomfortable to read and I never finished it.

Private_SeeD
19-02-2011, 23:35
Salamander was just plain uncomfortable to read and I never finished it.

Can I ask why not? I jst read the short story 'Fires of War' and I will be honest it did get my attention only becasue I was thought the Salamanders were the good guys in the grimdark setting, but if the short story is anything to go by its setting them up to be knocked off that pedal stool...

BobtheInquisitor
19-02-2011, 23:48
I just didn't like the characters or the drama set up between them. I don't remember too well now, but I thought there was a lot of rivalry or jealously or some other un-astartes emotion.

Barghest
25-02-2011, 04:44
Salamader isn't bad, but I wouldn't say it's amazing. It's kind of there, a niche book if you will. I'd definately recommend Dead Men Walking (I'm re-reading it right now). A lot of people here hate the grimdark feel but I love it provided it's done well. If poorly done, it becomes nothing more than "Look a puppy KICK THE PUPPY what nice clouds YOU ARE DYING". Nihilism in writing is dull. In Dead Men Walking you empathise with Gunthar. He's very much an everyman. The Krieg are interesting very much because of their contrasts - Colonel 186, for example. While on the surface he may appear to be nothing more than generic robosoldier who feels no thing, you see more understanding from him than you would expect. I'd provide an example but I don't know how to do the spoiler thing...

If you're looking for fight scenes, go for Salamander. It's a Space Marine novel, for crying out loud. In Dead Men Walking, the fighting is much more of a backdrop to the story.

BrotherOfBrass
02-03-2011, 20:57
Once more; anything by Aaron Dembski-Bowden is worth reading. For my money, Helsreach and Soul Hunter are the two best BL books I've read in years. I really enjoyed the first three or four Cain novels but the joke began to wear a little thin after that. However I wish that more authors treated 40k with a lighter, yet still authentic touch.

I very much enjoyed the Heldenhammer stories in the Time of Legends series, and will probably give the High Elf series a bash sometime. However if you can get a copy of Wine of Dreams, it is easily the most enjoyable Warhammer Fantasy novel I've read.

shadowhawk2008
05-03-2011, 12:16
i enoyed the first sigmar book and the blackhearts omnibus for fantasy and for 40k i cant get enough of bill king's SW novels, or TFH, legion, fulgrim, mechanicus, first two UM books, eisenhorn and ravenor, or the first two ghosts omnibuses.

Myrmidon616
12-03-2011, 11:29
Dan Abnett is my favourite author and anything by him is a good read but my best BL book is probably 'Path of the Warrior' by Gav Thorpe. The way it follows Korlandril from sculptor to exarch is awesome and the way the structure of the novel kind of mirrors Eldar society, it being a journey, really struck a chord with me. It gave a good insight into an alien mind without seeming unfathomable or creepy.

shadowhawk2008
14-03-2011, 18:59
Just finished reading Firedrake. Nick Kyme is just pure win. Right alongside ADB.

[SD]Daenyathos
14-03-2011, 19:39
Skaven Slayer is still my all time favourite Black Library book.

New Cult King
15-03-2011, 02:39
Soul Hunter rocked my socks, and inspired my current Kill Team project.

I have adored the Eisenhorn and Ravenor books as well, and Angels of Darkness.

And Lord of the Night.

shadowhawk2008
15-03-2011, 05:36
Its kinda sad that the events portrayed by Astelan in Angels of Darkness weren't shown to be the truth in Fallen Angels. That would have been crazy for sure. I definitely wanted that to happen.

New Cult King
15-03-2011, 05:41
Grargh I haven't read Fallen Angels yet :p

Shame they didn't follow it through, it's an awesome concept.

shadowhawk2008
15-03-2011, 05:48
I know it totally was. Gav said something along the lines of the book being from the perspective of a Fallen. But given the things he talked about, I was totally expecting things to be quite different in Fallen Angels. It's too bad it was just an example of Fallen marketing themselves as the good guys. Le sigh.

Private_SeeD
19-03-2011, 03:07
I just read Salamanders and Fire Drakes, I was never a fan of that particular chapter. And the books did an awesome job at fleshing out the chapter and adding depth...
I also like watching Space Marines go bad and I'm a sucker for an underdog story

shadowhawk2008
19-03-2011, 05:09
Yeah, the piece about the Malevolents was very intriguing and fresh, takes away from the whole noble picture you generally have in mind. Too bad James Swallow couldn't work something similar in Red Fury with regards to the Flesh Tearers. That would have been really awesome.