PDA

View Full Version : Storm Troopers Org.

Hive Fleet Chiron
12-08-2010, 13:13
I have been thinking for along time on how best to do a all storm troopers list, but due to lack of fluff and that I know very little on the innerworkings of the Ordo Xenos, I was wondering if any one could help with this conundrum.

I was thinking:

Company Command Squad (my bad)
Or
Lord Commisar- Ordos Xenos Inquisitor

and Maybe a Psycher Battle Squad- in the Codex: Deathwatch Killteam the commanders of the squad are psychers

Hunger
12-08-2010, 14:44
Its a little difficult to understand your question - the Stormtroopers are not a branch of the Ordo Xenos, as your post implies. Stormtroopers are generally the orphaned sons and daughters of high ranking officers killed in service to the Imperium, trained and raised in the Schola Progenium (mental block: SP is correct right?).

They can certainly be attached to Inquisitorial forces, however the Ordo Malleus is more psyker focused, dealing, as it does, with daemons and supernatural forces. Either way an IG Platoon Command Squad is not a HQ choice - thats the Company Command Squad.

Hive Fleet Chiron
12-08-2010, 14:46
I was thinking more of the retinues that Inquisitors carry around with them but more like a ordos xenos form of the IST for the ablity to fight off mainly Tyranids.

I was thinking more along the lines of Imperial Guard's version of Death Watch. I don't remember where I read it but I thought Inquisitor Kyrptman Kept a group of Storm Troopers to attack large bio-constructs to dirupt the swarm and used the Deathwatch to help/ do it whenever the IG failed?

Also, do Ministorium preists count for the 0-1 HQ requirement?

Lord Damocles
12-08-2010, 14:56
Presumeably Ordo-Xenos Stormtroopers are raised in a similar fashion to Malleus and Hereticus Stormtroopers:

The Inquisition maintains a string of fortresses
scattered throughout the galaxy, some hidden,
some extremely well known and the object of numerous
dark legends. Inquisitorial Stormtroopers are charged
with the protection and security of the Inquisition
fortresses and the infamous Black Ships as they make
their purity checks throughout the Imperium.
Recruited from the Schola Progenium and certain
families with a tradition of service to the Inquisition,
these Stormtroopers are equipped and trained in a
similar fashion to the elite Stormtroopers of the
Imperial Guard. Stormtroopers undertake rigorous
purity and incorruptibility tests before they are
permitted to bear the Inquisitorial mark, making them
preferable for use in Daemonhunters [/Whitch Hunters] forces where the
number of Grey Knights [/Adepta Sororitas] available may be insufficient.
Codex: Daemonhunters, pg.19 / Codex: Witch Hunters, pg.34

Personally, I'd use Codex: Witch Hunters to make a Stormtrooper-based list (up to 60 of the blighters) with inducted Marines (or Grey Knights?) as Deathwatch.

and Maybe a Psycher Battle Squad- in the Codex: Deathwatch Killteam the commanders of the squad are psychers
Codex: Deathwatch Killteam :confused:

Also, do Ministorium preists count for the 0-1 HQ requirement?
They don't use up FOC selections.

Crp.Zoega
12-08-2010, 15:32
Beware, wall of flufftext ahead:

A stormtrooper company is (depending on what fluff you use, I use sources from Imperial armour 3 and 4, the Armageddon campaign site, the gw site and every ig codex since 2:ed), when deployed at full strength, some 155 men strong. This company is a part of the galaxy wide Storm trooper Regiment, which has a large number (2000+) of companies split up over the galaxy. These companies are then assigned to warzones and battlegroups as needed. Once there the companies are split up further, supporting individual regiments, going on recon missions behind enemy lines or grouping together with a couple of other Storm trooper squads on especially dangerous missions. It is very rare that an entire company fights together, let alone several, but it has happened on Armageddon.

These companies, unlike normal guard regiments, receive reinforcements to let them stay at full strength from nearby Schola Progeniums. Their armaments also have a high priority in the bureaucracy of the Imperium. Storm trooper companies are one of the few to actually have a standing pool of Valkyries and Vendettas. It is not stated whether the Valkyries crew are part of the 155 men in the company. At least one Stormtrooper company have griffons and a special sentinel variant, the "Nightstalker" sentinel, either permanently attached or as a part of their company.

In the second edition of the IG codex it is stated that every Storm trooper company is different, depending on what and where the company has fought before (it was represented by forcing the ST's to take a Veteran skill, which varied from better shooting, better close-combat to booby trapping and jungle fighting) so as with normal guard, you have quite some artistic license here, if you want to use this quite old fluff.

For pickup games I personally use either a ccs with Creed (he has hotshot pistols) in a valk/vend or a Commisar Lord with carapace, power weapon and plasma pistol, representing a particularly hardass/awesome St officer.

But for friendly games I usually use a set fanmade St officer rules wich also allows you to use Storm trooper squads as troops http://rulesmanufactorum.blogspot.com/search/label/Storm%20Trooper%20Officer

But your ideas sound fine too.

Hopefully my St-geekyness has helped you a little :p

Col. Dash
12-08-2010, 16:16
Black ships? I thought the Sisters of Silence ran the black ships not storm troopers?

Gen.Steiner
13-08-2010, 07:12
Re: Black Ships - these are run and operated by the Emperor's Most Holy Inquisition, specifically the Ordo Hereticus and Ordo Malleus. The Sisters of Silence provide guards, while they are supported by Inquisition Armsmen and Stormtroopers. The majority of the crew are Inquisition staff.

Re: The Organisation of the Stormtroopers:

While I second much of what Crp.Zoega says, the frankly silly notion that there is one Stormtrooper Regiment for the entire galaxy is, to be frank, not worth the paper it's written on. At worst, each Segmentum would have its own pool of Stormtrooper Regiments, and it is far more likely that Stormtrooper Regiments are held at Sector Command levels.

In terms of actual organisation, an ST company looks much like this:

Company Command:
CO, Vox, Medic, SNCO, 2 Troopers
Attached: Commissar. Occassionally also Forward Controllers to provide air support/artillery support co-ordinates. Psykers are rare, but provided if witch-craft is expected to be faced.

There are then between three and six platoons, each comprising:

Platoon Command:
CO, Vox, Medic, NCO, 2 Troopers

Alpha Squad:
NCO, JNCO, Vox, 7 Troopers

Beta Squad:
NCO, JNCO, Vox, 7 Troopers

At maximum strength, this provides 6 platoons of 25 Stormtroopers each (150 total) plus a command of 5 and any attached personnel. These are transported in Valkryie Assault Carriers at a rate of one squad per valkyrie, and with Vultures availiable to provide cover and further fire support.

However, Stormtrooper units and TO&E are extremely flexible - indeed they are more akin to a mix of the Paratroop Regiment and the SAS than anything else. Stormtrooper squads are most often transported in Valkyries integral to the Regiment, which are then used to provide on-the-spot fire support during operations. Furthermore, Stormtrooper squads can and do operate in five-man 'Fire Teams', unlike the regular Guard, for whom fire team operation is (usually) something they are not trained in. Instead, the Guard uses fire team tactics with squads in a platoon.

When fighting as part of the Inquisition, however, which is what your question is about, all of the above can be totally ignored. The Inquisition is the Inqusition, and its forces are arranged and organised according to the whims of the Inquisitor in charge or the person whom s/he has placed in charge. Hence the issuing of things like Thunder Hammers to Inquisitorial troops.

Lord Zarkov
13-08-2010, 12:10
Re: Black Ships - these are run and operated by the Emperor's Most Holy Inquisition, specifically the Ordo Hereticus and Ordo Malleus. The Sisters of Silence provide guards, while they are supported by Inquisition Armsmen and Stormtroopers. The majority of the crew are Inquisition staff.

Ships in an inquistorial fleet can be designated 'Black Ships' (as per the BFG article), but the actual psyker harvesting Black Ships are run by the League of Black Ships which is a sub-division of the Adeptus Astra Telepathica, not the Inquisition. Current background has these crewed by Stormtroopers, and frequently (but not necessarily) having Inquisitors on board.

Gen.Steiner
13-08-2010, 13:51
I sit corrected. :)

I always wondered what the Adeptus Astra Telepathica actually did...

AndrewGPaul
13-08-2010, 15:13
Apart from, you know, looking after the galactic communications network?

Gen.Steiner
13-08-2010, 15:48
Well, yes, obviously that, but... you know... what else? :p