PDA

View Full Version : Forgeworld - no more paypal?

rev
12-08-2010, 20:00
Search fu revealed nothing on this,

Just went to place a FW order, I'm certain they accepted paypal before the site re-design, but it seems to have vanished as a payment option.

1) Am I right, have they stopped paypal as a payment option?

2) Why?! (an answer more than 'fees' is what I'm after, do you actually know why?)

Rev

stroller
12-08-2010, 20:24
Errrr... if they have, fees would be my best guess - but why not ask THEM?

t-tauri
12-08-2010, 20:35
I'm pretty certain they've never taken paypal as it's part of the reason why Forgeworld stuff goes over retail on ebay. The reason is "fees" as paypal take a bigger chunk of the payment than credit cards do. It's only in the last year or so that main GW have taken paypal.

TheBigBadWolf
12-08-2010, 21:25
I always find having Paypal on large sites pointless, they can take credit/debit cards why do they need the middle man of Paypal taking a slice of the pie.

rev
12-08-2010, 21:36
but why not ask THEM?

Ever tried to ask FW anything?! I've not got that kinda time!

I'm pretty certain they've never taken paypal as it's part of the reason why Forgeworld stuff goes over retail on ebay.

Intrigued by this I searched my paypal history and couldn't find a single forgeworld transaction (which my wife will tell you is not a reflection on my resin purchasing power) so maybe they never did take paypal, maybe I'm imagining it.

I always find having Paypal on large sites pointless

Are you a retailer or a buyer?

As a buyer I spend a lot more money on sites which take paypal than on those that don't, which means even though they get a small % less per item it is an item I might not have bought otherwise!

Rev

marv335
12-08-2010, 22:03
As far as I can recall they've never had paypal, I've made plenty of purchases from them over the years, If they'd had it, I'd have used it.

EmperorNorton
12-08-2010, 22:13
You need a credit/debit card for paypal anyways, there is no advantage going through paypal, but the disadvantage for the retailer of the fees, its a no brainer for them not to have paypal.

Lots of people on the continent, me included, do not bother having a credit card, but have paypal. Forgeworld loses out on their business.

TheBigBadWolf
12-08-2010, 22:20
Lots of people on the continent, me included, do not bother having a credit card, but have paypal. Forgeworld loses out on their business.

What about a debit card, the card you use to access ATMs, everyone in the UK who has a bank account is issued one, this can be used in most if not all transactions online and offline, I dont know what its like in europe but there is bound to be an equivelant

EmperorNorton
12-08-2010, 22:29
What about a debit card, the card you use to access ATMs, everyone in the UK who has a bank account is issued one, this can be used in most if not all transactions online and offline, I dont know what its like in europe but there is bound to be an equivelant

Doesn't work internationally, as far as I'm aware.

rev
12-08-2010, 22:32
there is no advantage going through paypal.

This is a sweeping generalisation, and it simply isn't true.

I'll give you an example,

I sell on ebay and get paid into my paypal account. I use the money to buy something from GWs site. The transaction doesn't touch my current account statment. This is a huge advantage, if your married you wont' need telling why.

Rev

Deamon-forge
12-08-2010, 23:06
i think FW would sell a little more if they had paypal, people flogging model on ebay got funds in paypal want Resin crack....i find it a pain in ass to get paypal funds, transfer to bank to order stuff from FW when iv sold on ebay. just take a few more days to amek sure funds are in bank for order

xxRavenxx
12-08-2010, 23:43
Many people do not like using credit cards online. I know that my younger sister was forbidden to do so by my parents, and instead encouraged to use paypal, as it promices to be safer.

Taking a form of payment is an extra method to get people to give you money. I, for example, will accept any type of payment for my goods/services (ooh la la?). I will however, encourage people to pay in order of "lowest fees" first. (cheque/cash --> card --> paypal). If theyre not in my good books, I may make them pay the % for paypal too.

spikyjames
13-08-2010, 08:09
Onto the topic.

Forge World have never taken Paypal.

Rev, yeah, you're right about having funds sitting in paypal always a little easier to get it past the wife when you buy stuff :D

James

AndrewGPaul
13-08-2010, 08:52
You then are definatley the exception, I have never heard of someone having a bank acount without a debit card, how do you withdraw funds or pay for anything.

If you get a really crap current account, you can get a cash card that is only for getting money from cash machines, that isn't a debit card. Tricky in the UK these days, but I don't know where Charax is.

slayerofmen
13-08-2010, 08:58
Grab yourself a Visa debit card i have one works like a credit card with your own money =win

as for contacting i live in Aus and have never had any issue

xxRavenxx
13-08-2010, 09:26
Interesting note about debit cards:

No UK bank protects your money from requests via debit card.

If you set up a standing order, or write a cheque, you can block the transaction. If you give your debit card information to someone, they can just request cash over and over and over, and its up to you to prove that it is fraud, and reclaim the cash.

Standard advice is "only use your debit card with trusted companies, and avoid using it online where possible".

farnham
13-08-2010, 09:30
It depends on how your authorising the card payments with the Merchant and the volume you take. The more you take in a year the less you generally pay per transaction, either fixed fee or percentage. Then if you factor in how you actually do the authorisation, your own auth server then you need accreditation from the bank, your servers need to be PCI compliant, how compliant you need to be depends on the volume of payments and the total yearly amount, or do you use a 3rd party system redirecting from your own site to another to get the authorisation which will have it's own costs though a dam site cheaper than the first.

It could turn out Pay Pal is cheaper as a result of the above wall of text (that i think maybe jibber jabber).

farn

Charax
13-08-2010, 19:44
If you get a really crap current account, you can get a cash card that is only for getting money from cash machines, that isn't a debit card. Tricky in the UK these days, but I don't know where Charax is.

Yup, the account linked to my Paypal is an old Nationwide (UK) savings account that came with a cash card I've had since school. They are phasing those out in a few months and bringing in a "Cash card plus" which is kind of half-Visa debit card, half-cash-card. so while inquiring about that I just decided to ask about a full-on Debit card.

Still, you can happily open and run a Paypal account with no debit/credit card, and I dont remember having to jump through any unusual hoops to get it working either, unless that "We send you a random amount of pennies, you tell us what amount" verification method was it.

t-tauri
13-08-2010, 20:33
Intrigued by this I searched my paypal history and couldn't find a single forgeworld transaction (which my wife will tell you is not a reflection on my resin purchasing power) so maybe they never did take paypal, maybe I'm imagining it.
I think you are. I've never made a FW paypal purchase and looking back through my catalogues and flyers paypal's never been an option in any of them.

If you're in the UK try a search for Forgeworld, Buy it now on ebay and look for "From Germany" at the bottom of the search results. See what the German Forgeworld resellers are charging because a lot of people on the continent are in this same position. You're looking at about a 25% mark up on the retail price. The UK has a love affair with the credit card which Europe doesn't share.

Forgeworld not taking paypal means that a number of European continentals have to pay over the odds if they want FW pieces.

isaac
14-08-2010, 09:55
I only got a credit card fairly recently. And that was actually to order from Maelstrom and Amazon UK.

I think you see the problem now.

Bloodknight
14-08-2010, 10:20
Ditto.

I got mine for cheap English language books (bookstores tend to overcharge for these here) from Amazon UK and Forgeworld/Maelstrom orders.

The only time I needed it in Germany was when I rented a minibus, and that was for a friend who didn't have a credit card.

And if FW are really afraid of the paypal fees they should offer paypal, but not free express shipping. The last packet I got from them had 60 pound UPS shipping fee on a 300 pound order because the box was pretty big.

Sgt John Keel
14-08-2010, 13:50

The terminology is a bit amusing, but in general people in Sweden are issued on-line debit cards for free. (Usually Maestro) These can only be used in terminals that have a direct connection with the bank.

However, most people opt for an off-line debit card (usually Visa), which can be used in off-line terminals (like taxis) and online (the amusing part, ie. on the Web) for a small charge, usually about 20/p.a.. Some people opt for a credit card (usually Mastercard).

Furthermore, almost all banks allow the creation of e-cards (for free) via their Internet banking services, one-time virtual cards that you fill with some amount of money and expire when used up. These are designed for use on the Internet, even if you don't have a 'real' off-line card. (And for some banks, it's the only way to shop online when the retailer doesn't offer VBV transactions.)

marv335
14-08-2010, 15:57
I have a similar card.
It's a pre-charged credit card.
I use it when I'm working in dodgy places, it reduces my liability if things go wrong, and it allows me to have something to hand over if the worst happens.

The Clairvoyant
16-08-2010, 08:29
Paypal adds convenience to ordering online.
Whilst i will use my credit card and type in the details each time for my card number, start and expiry dates, security code, name on the card and billing address, its much easier to just type a username and password into paypal and have it all done for you.

Earthbeard
16-08-2010, 17:41
I was actually a little surprised to find GW themselves took PP.....of course it meant I spent more money :(

gwarsh41
17-08-2010, 22:08
This is a sweeping generalisation, and it simply isn't true.

I'll give you an example,

I sell on ebay and get paid into my paypal account. I use the money to buy something from GWs site. The transaction doesn't touch my current account statment. This is a huge advantage, if your married you wont' need telling why.

Rev

That sir, is Excellent (with a capitol E) advice that I will remember in my upcoming years.

Binky
20-08-2010, 14:35
Many people do not like using credit cards online. I know that my younger sister was forbidden to do so by my parents, and instead encouraged to use paypal, as it promices to be safer.

You're safer using a credit card online than PayPal, as you get a whole load of legally enforced protection with it, whereas PayPal are pretty much a law unto themselves. I only ever use PayPal if it's the only option.