PDA

View Full Version : Best Lore of Magic for Warriors of Chaos in 8th?

Luisjoey
12-08-2010, 21:30
which lore of magic (death, fire or chaos) is the best for a chaos wizard in 8th edition? i have a touney this weekend and dunno which one to take?

PeG
12-08-2010, 22:06
I voted death since I think that it a good at killing other characters and large monsters. However at 2k or more I would bring more then one caster and most likely only one of them would take death

Gonzoyola
12-08-2010, 22:13
I personally dont play warriors, but it seems logical to me that Tz magic should be highly potent for you now that the casting values are so much easier.

People have shunned army lores for the common lores, but there is a lot of value to be placed in the casting values of the old system under the new edition, and Tz magic has always seemed entertaining to me

Campbell1988
12-08-2010, 22:18
I could see a Tzeentch and Death as a good combo. Say lvl 2 Tzeentch and a lvl 3 or 4 Death and you got a nasty phase. Or reverse it and it's probably at least as good. It's how I'd run it anyway.

honorandglory
12-08-2010, 22:38
Shadow, on a lvl 4. then maybe a lvl2 Nurgle. Wither + Curse of the Leper= Amazing.

I normally run my Lvl 4 with Shadow and the staff of sorcery. Debuffing the enemy is crucial with running high point models like Chaos Warriors. And Khorne Warriors(3 attack base) with extra hand weapon( +1 attack), Banner of Rage( +1Attack) and the Mind Razor are a truly heinous killing machine.5 attacks each at WS5, I5 and Str 8 base. Add a warshrine for more fun.

Lijacote
12-08-2010, 22:41
OP forgot Shadow from the poll.
Tzeentch and Death are both really good, I've been considering a level 4 daemon prince of death... oh well. It could work. The signature spell of Death is really good, and Tzeentchian wizards can cast pretty easily due to lower casting values and casting roll bonuses from wizard levels and the Mark. You could get like... +7 to cast on Tzeentch's lore, with some items.

Rochr
12-08-2010, 22:58
Thing is, you want the +1 Ward save and the +1 to cast. It is just so freaking strong that even if Death seems better at times, Tzeentch is usually worth it.

GodlessM
12-08-2010, 23:29
Tzeentch all the way. +5 to cast on a Lord Level caster, and if you really are the kind that relies on uber-spells then Gateway is the classic crutch with more potential in it than most of the new spells.

xxRavenxx
12-08-2010, 23:55
I like tzeentch for cheaper hero wizards, in smaller games, who cant afford to stack up heaps of spells to get the good ones. I'm not keen on it otherwise though.

After that, its probably death. I like being able to throw nasty spells at enemy warmachines, as it fills a nice gap in the army.

Dont overlook slaanesh though. Theres some mighty fine trickery in there.

cybercaine
13-08-2010, 00:27
I didn't vote because I think the best lore to put on a lord caster for WoC is probably Shadow. The debuffs + buffs have a lot of synergy with a lot of your units. And you get some raw killyness in PoS and Pendulum. Not to mention that the ability to teleport adds some interesting abilities to move other characters to where you would like them. On a lesser caster without a lord caster, I'd probably go Tzeentch. The +1 is nice as is the ward buff. If you were playing 2 casters, I'd be tempted to go with a lvl4 shadow and a lvl2 death. I like the combo of death with another caster with the potential to get more dice during the magic phase.

Ymir
13-08-2010, 01:13
The polls forgets both Shadow and Heavens, and I think both could prove really interesting and useful.

While a case can be made for Lore of Tzeentch as the mark's benefits are, as already pointed out, almost too good, and Lore of Tzeentch still has some really potent spells (Flickering Fire is the next best signature spell in the game or so, and Pandemonium is godawesome), Lore of Death is so overpowered it isn't even funny. So I'll be forced to say, Death all the way.

bonertron
13-08-2010, 01:14
Tzeentch, ALL the way. Roll 6 dice on Pandaemonium... its a game winner. The last tournament I was in, a Pandaemonium got off in the first magic phase, so no characters could use their leadership. Then a hellcannon rocked a unit of goblins, panicking them which proceeded to make every other unit of goblins domino effect off the table. Nothing like winning a game before your opponent gets a movement phase.

Feliks
13-08-2010, 07:19
Tzeentch because even if the spells aren't necessarily as potent as the Death Spells, the +1 to cast and the ability to churn out spells is very nice. And Tzeentch has some killer spells, such as Pandaemonium as has been mentioned. As an O&G player, I rely on my character leadership a great deal, and losing it will cost me games.

Harwammer
13-08-2010, 10:17
Tzeentch because even if the spells aren't necessarily as potent as the Death Spells, the +1 to cast and the ability to churn out spells is very nice. And Tzeentch has some killer spells, such as Pandaemonium as has been mentioned. As an O&G player, I rely on my character leadership a great deal, and losing it will cost me games.

Yep, Pandaemonium is brutal against OnG, slightly less so in 8th now dispelling RiP spells in subsequent turns doesn't have to be at the end of the phase. On the other hand it is cool for WoC that maintaining a RiP spell no longer interferes with casting new spells. Especially as panic tests are now instant.

Is this poll just for level 2s? The lord choice casters can also use heavens and shadows so I'm curious why they have been discredited as poll options.

Earthbeard
13-08-2010, 13:49
Tzeentch + Death combo, or Shadow + Nurgle are my staples of joy.