PDA

View Full Version : How to keep units safe from shooting?

Nubl0
12-08-2010, 21:19
Been using my new sexy daemon prince (as sexy as a giant monster can be.) In my 1.5k list for some time now and one thing I find is that when he reaches combat he does fairly well, aslong as I charge him into flanks never the front of infantry blocks minds you... anyway most of the time he tends to just get blown to pieces by cannons and orgun guns and with only a 5++ and T5 to help he doesnt last long at all.

I have tooled up with an etherblade and unnatural swiftness, should I consider dropping one for wings so he can reach combat that little bit quicker? I have tried target saturation with my block of bloodletters and flammers but still my people go for him, and somtimes it costs them the game when they let my glesh hounds get of a flank charge or my bloodletters reach them but its getting quite disheartning to always have my killy LORD choice taken out on like turn 2 :(.

Any ideas? perhaps screening him or trying to hide in terrain? I find that when I do that he doesnt get into combat quick enough and I have already lost by the time he does...

Bac5665
12-08-2010, 21:52
In 8E with TLoS, good luck screening him. He's too tall to hid behind any unit, and even if he was hidden, there'd be some gap between someones legs or something for him to be seen.

Yeah, screening in 8E is a joke, since the best you can hope for is the cover bonus, and nothing that rolls to his for shooting is that scary.

RanaldLoec
12-08-2010, 23:17
As an empire player I make big scary demi gods of killyness a Target priority for my great cannons.

So anything that takes attention away from your big sexy he/she ladyboy keeper of secrets might help.

Screamers are excellent artillery killers by turn 2 you can fly over a couple of warmachines and use their special rule to strike at the lower toughness of the crew.

That or the he/she ladyboy demon of doom needs to moves faster so yeah go for a nice pair of wings.

Lord Dan
12-08-2010, 23:38
You're taking a 400+ point daemon prince in a 1500 point game?

Toe Cutter
12-08-2010, 23:52
As a wise man/lady/uncompromising blend of all the bad bits once said; Wings for extra protection.

You've said it yourself. Make killing the big nasty demonness of gender uncertainty tactically unsound. Target saturation over attempting to hide the unhideable.

EDIT: I'll show you..... nope nope stop stop. No more.

Peril
12-08-2010, 23:54
One thiing about cannons - if they fail to wound the cannonball doesn't keep going anymore. So, if your DP is behind 5 ranks of infantry for instance, you at least have some chance of protecting him.

Kevlar
13-08-2010, 00:00
Screens give hard cover now, which is a pretty nice buff. -2 on all ballistic skill shots. War machines will still wreck him though. Can you stick him in a unit, maybe trolls or something to get a LOS at least?

Odominus
13-08-2010, 01:09
You could keep him in your army transport case.

ooglatjama
13-08-2010, 01:20
You could keep him in your army transport case.

:(

Poor daemon princes

Ymir
13-08-2010, 01:35
The organ gun doesn't have that much range and should be possiblr to keep away from for a daemon prince with wings, I think. A cannon is harder, but a troll would stop the cannon ball on a 4+, so using trolls as screens could be worth a try. Or a hero with a charmed shield or the Crimson Armour of Dargan. Lastly, the gift Mantle of Chaos could help, very much so against organ guns and bolt throwers and such, but would be pretty worthless versus cannons strength of 10.

Lijacote
13-08-2010, 01:54
He's playing Daemon Daemon Princes, not Warrior Daemon Princes.

Maybe you could use Fiends of Slaanesh as screens, since they have multiple wounds and move fast as well, not to mention that they're pretty good now. 6 of them in a unit is just goodness. I think!

Odominus
13-08-2010, 02:18
but a troll would stop the cannon ball on a 4+, so using trolls as screens could be worth a try.

Canonball uses TLOS. Unless you are behind a building or hill or something, it can see you 99.99% of the time.

w3rm
13-08-2010, 02:30
You're taking a 400+ point daemon prince in a 1500 point game?

I do too. :D Well mines a lvl 1 lore of death with wings which is going to change to swiftness.

Honestly your best bet is march up with furies first turn and charge warmachines. A unit of 5 is only 60 points and with a str and t of 4 theyre not that easy to kill with a basic warmachine crew. Take 3 units and thats only 180 points for a very effective warmachine hunter.

Duke_Corwin
13-08-2010, 02:36
One thiing about cannons - if they fail to wound the cannonball doesn't keep going anymore. So, if your DP is behind 5 ranks of infantry for instance, you at least have some chance of protecting him.

Only if the target is a monstrous infantry/calvary/beast or monster, otherwise it keeps going.

Lord of Divine Slaughter
13-08-2010, 09:43
Only if the target is a monstrous infantry/calvary/beast or monster, otherwise it keeps going.

Calva-what? Calvados? :confused:

Nubl0
13-08-2010, 23:01
Well... he's not 400pts he's 375pts, and I just had another game today against dwarves and he died turn 2, however that alowed my flammers to kill his orgun gun and then have the bloodletters and demmonettes combo charge his 45 unit of longbeards while my hounds ate his thunderers, he lost but a fair margin but still not that fun tbh. I had alot more fun playing against the skaven player who really got stuck in there instead of sitting there... doing nothing but shoot.

fluffstalker
14-08-2010, 08:35
Big nasties took a big hit in 8th ed, I wonder if it was because in 7th ed they could easily rout half an army or more by themselves. Tbh I would like a middle ground, but as with GW its always one extreme or the other. I wouldn't bring anything large to an 8th ed game unless it was incredibly tough and fast, such as the HPA, or cheapish like the Hydra.

meneroth
14-08-2010, 12:55
well target saturation is a good idea. you may just have to accept the DP is gonna die and make sure his death keeps your other units alive. force the enemy to focus fire on him and keep the rest of your army from getting shot as much as possible. granted its alot of points to use as bait but its the best you can do against some armies. now against non-artillery armies, he should be pretty much fine.