PDA

View Full Version : GW website error

The Laughing God
13-08-2010, 04:09
Hello, just wondering if anyone else has been unable to access the GW website lately? I'm using AOL, and everytime I type in the web address it takes me to the front screen and it tells me to update to the latest browser, however, the pop up it is cut in half and the screen is frozen.

Works fine when I tried it in Internet Explorer, just not AOL.

Anyone else have this problem?

Oglog
13-08-2010, 07:59
I have 2 computers (both laptops, pretty old) and have this problem on both of them. I only use internet explorer (7 i think). Its really annoying because I cant acess the GW website at all.

johnnyrumour
13-08-2010, 14:02
I have 2 computers (both laptops, pretty old) and have this problem on both of them. I only use internet explorer (7 i think). Its really annoying because I cant acess the GW website at all.

it's designed to work best in Firefox...
having said that they've been doing some jiggery-pokery recently.

stroller
13-08-2010, 16:37
Working fine here..... but then I am underwhelmed by AOL. IE8 on a dongle from the back end of nowhere is a little slow - but I know the connection to be slow. Otherwise its fine.

TheBigBadWolf
13-08-2010, 20:51
I used to get that problem a lot when I used AOL 9VR when I was back at home, never had a problme with Firefow though.

Duke Georgal
14-08-2010, 01:39
Why would anyone have a business web site that does not work with EVERY popular web browser?

xxRavenxx
14-08-2010, 09:27
The same company that took two months to remove a "closed down" tag on their store finder that they added my store for no particular reason?

The same company that now has an actually closed down retailer in the area permenantly listed, causing me to have dozens of visiting people asking me why its advertised as open, dispite me having nothing to do with it? :D

The same company that cant seem to update my website account so I can see the retailers section?

Summary: Their IT department seem to screw up lots and would benefit from Jeremy Vetok dressing up in a skaven taskmaster costume and dancing about whipping them...

Inquisitor Engel
14-08-2010, 20:18
Obvious question here:

Why on Earth are you using AOL in this day and age? :eyebrows:

Inquisitor Engel
14-08-2010, 20:25
Obvious question here:

Why on Earth are you using AOL in this day and age? :eyebrows:

sheppe
15-08-2010, 22:11
using firefox myself and just get a blank white page (everything up to date)
:(

madprophet
15-08-2010, 22:57
I use firefox, I get the page but the text is all gibberish :(

The Laughing God
16-08-2010, 00:44
:DTried again today and it's back to normal.

madprophet
16-08-2010, 01:08
Not for me, at least not in firefox 3.6.8

DarkReaver
16-08-2010, 14:08
Not for me, at least not in firefox 3.6.8

I'm using firefox 3.6.8 and it's fine for me. Could parts of it be blocked by your firewall?

mrln68
16-08-2010, 16:58
Again - the question isn't could some of it be blocked by your firewall - but why the heck would a professional commerce website not work with nearly everything.

It doesn't take long to test out websites against various browsers, firewalls and all the rest...but it is even better to just leave the newest web junk out of it and stick with writing the website so that it will still work and load on a computer that hasn't been updated at all in at least 5 years (the reality is that most computers being used now are roughly 5 years old and most users never bother to update anything). If they want to do something fancy - make sure it fails gracefully.

That said - the GW cart hasn't worked for me for almost a month now. Kinda sad for them too, as it ended up costing them nearly a grand worth of business. If it didn't work for me, I am sure there are others who have issues as well.

Oglog
16-08-2010, 20:21
I was the second poster, and for the last few days it had been working the best it ever has (I wouldn't say well, but no glitches) on both my CPUs

madprophet
17-08-2010, 01:14
checked the FAQ at Firefox - sometimes the Geneva or Helvetica fonts don't display properly in Firefox. GW uses Helvetica. I deleted the helvetica font on my PC forcing the browser to display the site in Arial and the problem cleared. If GW used Arial, I would never have noticed the problem. :)

The Laughing God
17-08-2010, 03:26
Glad that it's fixed for you madprophet. I noticed today that whenever I click on a picture, the color becomes faded and the picture is dark. It's never easy is it. lol

Edit: Yay 2,000th post :D

Wintermute
17-08-2010, 11:04
I assume this problem is restricted to the US GW site? Because I've not encountered any issues with the UK site.

But then again I'm using Firefox 4.0b3 and not IE8 :cool:

madprophet
19-08-2010, 02:35
I assume this problem is restricted to the US GW site? Because I've not encountered any issues with the UK site.

But then again I'm using Firefox 4.0b3 and not IE8 :cool:

Maybe the display error with Helvetica and Geneva was fixed in FF4.x, my FF is 3.6.8 - where did you get v.4? The firefox.com site says that 3.6.8 is the most recent version.

BTW, the error never occurred in IE8 :D

252nd Fire Dragoon
19-08-2010, 04:14
Aloha,
it was doing that for me for the past week, it fixed itself though two days ago :P.

Wintermute
19-08-2010, 09:11
where did you get v.4? The firefox.com site says that 3.6.8 is the most recent version.

Yes V3.6.8 is the most recent version.

Did you notice the 'b' in version number I posted? Its 'B' for Beta, its a test version.

V4 has been available for beta testing for several weeks now direct from here (http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/beta/). If you are not comfortable with testing new products which may (will be) buggy, then don't download it and stick with V3.6.8.

AndrewGPaul
19-08-2010, 13:38
I assume 4.0b3 means it's a beta version.

Argh. big, robotic ninjas.

Sai-Lauren
19-08-2010, 14:04
FF4's in beta, but they're already talking about features for FF5. :rolleyes:

(I still have to support IE6 :cries: )

The Laughing God
21-08-2010, 01:33
Tried it again today and the pictures are back to normal. Finally the website works as it should. :D

AndrewGPaul
24-08-2010, 01:27
(I still have to support IE6 :cries: )

I still have to use it.