PDA

View Full Version : done it

J-kob
13-08-2010, 10:30
Yesterday i went down to my local GW and picked up the rulebook and SW codex and battle force and while walking to pay i noticed it out of the cornor of eye the tau i instantly fell in love. The way they look the advancement in tech, the whole join us or die demeaner and the background i was hooked so i left with the codex and rulebook and i'm now off to write up mt first list.

Thanks
Jk
:shifty:

spurker
13-08-2010, 10:42
This is how it should be, all the advice in the world will not give you an army that you love!

ChrisMurray
13-08-2010, 10:53
Excellent news. This is the way an army should be chosen, not with "whats the newest\most powerful on the table" but with, I love those models\background. Good luck with the Tau, they have some great models (I love the firewarriors but dislike the vehicles and the GW suits). I know in one of your threads you said that you don't have too much cash to throw at an army at the moment but if you ever feel abit flushed with cash, Forgeworlds range of battlesuits and the flyers are great looking models to add a little something special.

Good luck, will there be a painting log of the here in the future?

marv335
13-08-2010, 11:42
If you can find the cash, get the FW Broadsides, they are way better looking than the standard ones.

Hunger
13-08-2010, 12:18
This is how it should be, all the advice in the world will not give you an army that you love!

100% agreed - choose your army based on its cool factor and you'll be a happy player. Good luck with your army - put your progress in a log please.

You should refer to the M, P & T section further down Warseer's main page for some help and advice on painting, and check out other peoples' logs for ideas and inspiration.

LonelyPath
13-08-2010, 12:38
Congratulations on starting your first army and getting something you love the look of, just how it should be :) I hope you get much pleasure out of it.

Godzooky
13-08-2010, 12:44
I wanna help out with this first foray into 40K.

I'm happy to offer you a shiny new battlesuit commander to get you started (not a Forgeworld one!) if you'd like. :)

Born Again
13-08-2010, 14:09
Good to hear it. Choose an army that makes you happy and you will always enjoy it. Don't just take something that's a tourney winner now that will be outdated when the next codex comes out.

The basic Tau Firewarriors are lovely models, enjoy!

Col. Dash
13-08-2010, 14:14
Its an awesomely fun army that plays very different from frikken marines. congrats on your choice of the coolest and most stylish army in the game outside Elysian Air Cav :P

Theres really no way to go wrong on painting either. They look awesome in camo(what they would actually wear in combat, they arent stupid marines wearing bright colors in battle) or in their colorful dress colored armor. I second the FW suit idea at least for the commander and broadsides.

The Laughing God
13-08-2010, 18:32
Huzzah for non-MEQ! :D
I've always liked the tau. Their tanks are what draws me in. Maybe I'll make an army.

PanzerHero
13-08-2010, 18:37

Agreed full-heartedly.

Wrath
13-08-2010, 18:47
Yesterday i went down to my local GW and picked up the rulebook and SW codex and battle force and while walking to pay i noticed it out of the cornor of eye the tau i instantly fell in love. The way they look the advancement in tech, the whole join us or die demeaner and the background i was hooked so i left with the codex and rulebook and i'm now off to write up mt first list.

Thanks
Jk
:shifty:

Welcome to the Empire Shas'la.

insectum7
13-08-2010, 20:13
Nice dude, Tau are awesome!

I just mentioned in another thread that as a Marine player, Tau are one of the armies I fear the most. They also look the nutz. :)

Reflex
14-08-2010, 00:09
as much as i hate the tau, good on ya...

thats exactly how you should pick an army, not by power but by love. you will enjoy the game more.

night2501
14-08-2010, 01:09
nice, TAU are a great choice as an army, I also like their background and design, it just a break form the rest of 40K, and in a good way ^^
and as other have said thatīs the right way to choose your army ;)

now about the list, do not expect to win your first game, TAU are like the hard mode, little space for mistake, affected by psychology, and not the most powerful or numerous on the field, yet playing with them can be incredible rewarding, as you exploit your strength while trying to capitalize on your enemy weakness.

Roguebaron
14-08-2010, 01:47
congrats, picking something you like means you may actually paint it. I hate rail guns but they look cool. have fun and enjoy.

14-08-2010, 03:43
Hate to rain on this back slap parade. But I think you should at least find out (in tacticas etc) or study the tau codex to discover the better units are before purchasing anything. In my experience buying and fielding and army that is cool but is really hamstrung when it comes to winning is not satisfying and may feel like a waste of money.

Thats what it feels like to me with my orks. My army is cool to me but have none of the awesome units and is essentially a poor list with a little bit of everything.

DuskRaider
14-08-2010, 03:44
Best of luck to you man, and glad to hear you found a force YOU love, and not just something to win. I'll admit, Tau are pretty damn cool.

chromedog
14-08-2010, 03:50
Excellent news. This is the way an army should be chosen, not with "whats the newest\most powerful on the table" but with, I love those models\background.

+1.

If you can find the cash, get the FW Broadsides, they are way better looking than the standard ones.

Note: That if you have NO idea of how to work with resin and its (FW) foibles, this is perhaps not the best option. FW resin tau goodies tend towards warped and miscast more than others (although mostly it is easily straightened with warm water and patience.

totgeboren
14-08-2010, 12:43
Though it feels abit silly to join in this back-slap parade (as 38. put it), it really is refreshing to see someone pick an army is this way.
Just go with what takes your fancy at first, then you can take a look at all the tactics threads to see how to expand your force into a "real" battle-worthy army.
And you should start a log in the M, P & T section, or just take a look at some of the Tau logs there for inspiration. :)

Chem-Dog
14-08-2010, 13:04
One word of advice every new Tau commander should be given....
Whatever tank you want to get buy a Skyray, from it you can make A devilfish, hammerhead or sky ray, if you make either of the first two you'll have lots of lovely seeker missiles left over :D

FabricatorGeneralMike
15-08-2010, 03:20
One word of advice every new Tau commander should be given....
Whatever tank you want to get buy a Skyray, from it you can make A devilfish, hammerhead or sky ray, if you make either of the first two you'll have lots of lovely seeker missiles left over :D

^^^ +10!

Good choice of army. Thats how I used to tell people to pick their armies. Pick the one that you like the look of. When I get around to doing another xenos army it will be Tau with lots of FW goodies in there. ( I would sell my soul for a manta........-looks around-......nope nothing better luck next time I guess :shifty:)

Brettila
16-08-2010, 02:22
Congrats! I hope you have tons of fun playing it. The way to choose armies should always involve how much you like the look or style of the minis.

Sai-Lauren
16-08-2010, 15:36
Note: That if you have NO idea of how to work with resin and its (FW) foibles, this is perhaps not the best option. FW resin tau goodies tend towards warped and miscast more than others (although mostly it is easily straightened with warm water and patience.
This - repeated many, many times over.

Get and build the normal ones first, and promise yourself the FW ones for about two years time - they're expensive, resin's difficult to build and they deserve the best paint job you can imagine - and even if you think you can paint now, in two years time you'll be a lot better.

I'd suggest nothing more than a box of Fire Warriors to start with.

Earthbeard
16-08-2010, 16:47
Hate to rain on this back slap parade. But I think you should at least find out (in tacticas etc) or study the tau codex to discover the better units are before purchasing anything. In my experience buying and fielding and army that is cool but is really hamstrung when it comes to winning is not satisfying and may feel like a waste of money.

Thats what it feels like to me with my orks. My army is cool to me but have none of the awesome units and is essentially a poor list with a little bit of everything.

Nonsense on pretty much all your points.

madprophet
16-08-2010, 22:12

I've found you can win with any army as long as you understand how it works. No matter what army you choose, you will need at least 1 HQ and 2 troops - start with that and work from there.

Jayden63
16-08-2010, 22:39
That's what happened to me when Tau were first introduced. I was all set and gung ho to make a Chaos army, but then GW released a preview pic of the Hammerhead and a Firewarriors and it was love at first sight.

Chaos got put on hold.