PDA

View Full Version : Tomb king magic

Malladorin
13-08-2010, 11:50
Hi there,
can anyone tell me how Tomb king magic works now, with the new magic system and bound spell rules. Or just point me in the direction of an FAQ if you can't be bothered :) also, have the new rules lowered it's effectiveness? I'd be interested to hear some opinions.

smithers
13-08-2010, 12:06
They have to cast in the same order as before.
Incantations do not fail on a roll of 1-2 and never miscast or get IF.
Liches cannot channel power dice but they can channel dispel dice.
Bound spells are cast from the power pool just like any other army
As a result of all this generally you will want to roll low on winds of magic.

A couple new bound items stand out for TK:
The Ruby ring of Ruin helps burn dispel dice and the 100 pt. Wizard's Hat brings some real variety to our games. Seems to be only worth considering on a Tomb King and a dangerous waste of points for any other army.

Overall TK magic is probably less "effective" because previously our most important move was getting key charges off for strike first. It is however even more relentless now because of the 1-2 dispel failure and concentration break. (Basically your opponent is taking a risk by using his level 4 to dispel your earlier incantations with one die)

It's also worth noting that the BRB Lores got massively powerful so this doesn't reflect well on our piddly magic (another good reason to consider the hat in a 2 TK list)

Google for the FAQ you're right I can't be bothered to do this for you :P

Read the section on Casket of Souls there carefully and the new War Machine rules. Its magic hasn't changed but WMs in general operate very differently. GL.

gdsora
13-08-2010, 14:12
Hi there,
can anyone tell me how Tomb king magic works now, with the new magic system and bound spell rules. Or just point me in the direction of an FAQ if you can't be bothered :) also, have the new rules lowered it's effectiveness? I'd be interested to hear some opinions.

Smithers said everything perfectly.
Tomb King magic Operates exactly like it did in 7th edition.

Changes: You still roll for winds of magic, and those 2d6 power dice can be used for any bound items.

(makes you reallly awesome team mates in partner battles, as longs as its not skaven/DE and negations have gone sour :(.... )

Spiney Norman
13-08-2010, 14:48
Smithers said everything perfectly.
Tomb King magic Operates exactly like it did in 7th edition.

Changes: You still roll for winds of magic, and those 2d6 power dice can be used for any bound items.

(makes you reallly awesome team mates in partner battles, as longs as its not skaven/DE and negations have gone sour :(.... )

One more thing High priests are L3 wizards and reg priests are L1 wizards, note they only get the level bonus for the purpose of dispelling because incantations ignore all bonuses.

The hat rox btw, I use it on my King, then take a LHP, a prince and icon bearer

Rajhald
13-08-2010, 16:42
I'm definitely considering TK in 8th. If you take enough bound items to burn some dispel dice, and use the basically useless power dice you generate then you may be able to bring out enough power dice to get something off.

As for not ever striking first I completely understand, currently play lizardmen and I have to take enough saurus to live through the onslaught, but I will say 30 saurus with an old blood in the front will mow some stuff down.

Vandelan
13-08-2010, 19:31
Hi there,

Here (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?categoryId=1000018&pIndex=1&aId=3000006&start=2) are all the FAQs you could ever ask for.

Enigmatik1
13-08-2010, 20:56
I'm definitely considering TK in 8th. If you take enough bound items to burn some dispel dice, and use the basically useless power dice you generate then you may be able to bring out enough power dice to get something off.

Getting stuff off isn't the problem with Tomb Kings. The magic phase is currently the only thing in the list that really works. It's everywhere else that the list has issues...Tomb Guard and Kings/Princes excepted. But if you want to work the bejeezus out of the magic phase, Tomb Kings is the army for you. :D

decker_cky
13-08-2010, 21:15
And you must give a tomb king the wizard's hat (and back him up with the staff of ravening) to give yourself a 'second' magic phase using the power dice.

Enigmatik1
13-08-2010, 21:28
And you must give a tomb king the wizard's hat (and back him up with the staff of ravening) to give yourself a 'second' magic phase using the power dice.

You don't even need the Staff. I can never find anywhere to put it since I refuse to pay for a regular Liche Priest in my standard 2K list (that isn't on a Casket) and I never have the spare points for it after protecting the hell out of my Hierophant. I found the Ruby Ring, the Kanopi, the Banner of the Undying Legion and the Casket of Souls were plenty to make sure I overloaded most standard magic defenses.

Now if we were talking 2500+, I'd take a regular LP on a Skeletal Steed in a unit of 10 or so Light Horsemen just because. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother.

decker_cky
13-08-2010, 21:37
Ehhh...power level of your spells doesn't really matter. It's all about quantity of spells for tomb kings. The way I'd build them (assuming standard 2500 pts) is loading up with 2 Tomb Kings (1 General with protection, 1 wizard hat), 1 Casket Liche Priests, 2 other Liche Priests (1 with ravening, 1 hierophant). 8 automatic spells + wizard hat + staff of ravening (+ dispel scroll and broche of the desert) gives an impossibly good magic phase (which is needed to compensate with the rest of the list's weaknesses).

Ymir
14-08-2010, 06:23
I'm a big fan of the high priest, and even more so in 8th ed, because #1: a high priest is a much safer hierophant given that he's much harder to kill which is absolutely crucial now with all the sniping spells around, #2: high priests magical onslaught is so brutal I feel bad about it, give him the Plaques of Mighty Incantations just to overdo it completely - his power dice output alone equals the maximum possible dispel dice of the enemy (before channeling). Happily, 8th ed lets me field both a Tomb King and a High Priest well below 3000 points.

smithers
14-08-2010, 11:40
Are you guys finding that when you use the Wiz. hat you still have extra dice in the pool that you want to use for bound items?

Of course it depends on the spells you get, the winds of magic, and the situation your army is in, but in the lists I was putting together I assumed that with the hat all dice would be spent on his casting.

Thanks.

Marshal Augustine
15-08-2010, 00:23
I used the wiz hat for the first time yesterday and had a lot of fun with it! Chain lightning is a nice spell that can really ruin someones day... hehe.

Enigmatik1
15-08-2010, 02:58
Are you guys finding that when you use the Wiz. hat you still have extra dice in the pool that you want to use for bound items?

Of course it depends on the spells you get, the winds of magic, and the situation your army is in, but in the lists I was putting together I assumed that with the hat all dice would be spent on his casting.

Thanks.

Yes, I generally don't use all the dice in the pool by casting with the Hat but I think this is largely dependent on what spells you get more than anything else. If the spells you get are highly situational or have high casting costs, you're less likely to want to cast them.

Conversely, there are spells like Spirit Leech...which you'd probably want to cast every turn as long as a suitable target is in range...and unless we're talking Dwarfs with their stellar LD and magic defense, there usually is...hehe.