PDA

View Full Version : Army Choice-Skaven/Elves?

GoblinDan
12-08-2010, 20:23
Sorry if this could of been in a better place but I didn't want to make a brand new topic to just ask a question.

I'm kind of new to (playing at least) Warhammer,and after playing a few games at my local store,I have been advised to pre-order the starter pack for Skaven so I have the rules and the start of an army.Plenty of people at my store are starting High Elves too so I could hopefully swap the Elves.

Would be Skaven be okay for a newbie like me?I sort of know what to expect from them as I had there old army book and have a general idea of how they behave with playing a few games under the new rules with them.

But I am really drawn to the idea of Vampire count's,I really like the background they have and I had an army (which I sadly never got chance to use) back when they were Undead and led by Nagash.Though I'm worried I might not like the play style.

I guess I could do both but with only just getting back into the army I would like to concentrate on just one army for now.So I would appreciate any advice you guys can give.

mrtn
12-08-2010, 20:43
But I am really drawn to the idea of Vampire count's,I really like the background they have and I had an army (which I sadly never got chance to use) back when they were Undead and led by Nagash.Though I'm worried I might not like the play style.

I guess I could do both but with only just getting back into the army I would like to concentrate on just one army for now.So I would appreciate any advice you guys can give.Start the army with the coolest models. if that turns out to be undead, then start that, don't start skaven.

kiltwearer
12-08-2010, 21:01
Start the army with the coolest models. if that turns out to be undead, then start that, don't start skaven.

I agree. The starter set may be a good value, but the skaven army will require so many more minis to play a normal size game. It will be a wash pricewise. Play the army that you like the most. In addition, I would choose one that can be reasonably competitive. Both armies you are interested in are competitive in 8th edition. I cannot imagine playing an army I dislike, or one that loses the majority of the time.

GoblinDan
12-08-2010, 21:03
Start the army with the coolest models. if that turns out to be undead, then start that, don't start skaven.

Thanks for the reply,I don't dislike the Skaven models but I love the Vampire Counts so I guess I will be starting them.

And thanks Kiltwearer.I'm not overly worried about how competitive and army is,more how it plays tactically.But VC are definitely the army I like the most and they appeal to me (Well apart from the zombies which look horrible imo) so I guess that's what matters the most.

Thanks again guys I think I will buy the battalion tomorrow.

t-tauri
13-08-2010, 14:03
Sorry if this could of been in a better place but I didn't want to make a brand new topic to just ask a question.

Please do not derail tactica threads with questions like this. Moved to Fantasy General.