PDA

View Full Version : Warriors of Chaos roster

Lupercus
13-08-2010, 15:31
Hey there all. I'm in the initial phase of putting a brand new army together, seeing as my Orcs and Goblins are just about ready to make their debut. I like to mix it up a bit, and I figure that having a more "elite" style army to balance out my greenskin horde will be a good thing.

So, I've come up with a general overview of what I'll be working on for starters. Please, let me know what you think of it, if I'm on the right track, and if I'm not, how I can turn it around. Here's what I'm thinking of starting with...

-24 Chaos Warriors w/ Halberds, Shields, full command, Mark of Nurgle
-24 Chaos Warriors w/ Hand Weapons, Shields, full command, Mark of Khorne
-40 Marauders w/ Flails, Shields, Light Armour, full command, Mark of Slaanesh
-Dragon Ogre Shaggoth w/ Additional Hand Weapon
-Chaos Warshrine w/ Mark of Tzeentch(possibly...maybe unmarked?)
-10 Marauder Horsemen w/ Mark of Slaanesh
-5 Chaos Knights w/ Mark of Khorne
-6 Chaos Ogres w/ Great Weapons, Chaos Armour, Mark of Khorne(good possibility, otherwise they will be unmarked, but might as well make them as killy as possible...)

-Khorne Lord on Juggernaut
-3 Hero types on foot, one of which is a BSB...some suitable Marks thrown in, likely one Nurgle, one Slaanesh, one(likely the BSB) unmarked, or Mark of Khorne
-Wulfrik the Wanderer-He's getting a head swap and will be helmeted, so he'll be able to be used as Wulfrik(not usually likely), or a normal Exalted or some such
-Sorcerer of Tzeentch on Disc(Sorcerer Lord or just Sorcerer, depends)
-Sorcerer on foot, probably unmarked and using the Lore of Death

So, that's the general idea. It really is the beginnings on what I'm sure will be a much larger and more varied force eventually(much like my Orcs), but I would like to start things off right. I'm quite pleased with the basic core of the army, which is comprised of two solid and nasty units of Chaos Warriors and a huge block of Marauders. In my mind, I think this should be a pretty good base to build from, but I'm definitely open to your opinions on this.

In fact, it's all up for criticism, and this is the time to get it out there;) Thanks for reading, and I look forward to reading your thoughts on the matter!

theSkullduggery1
13-08-2010, 19:32
Being frenzied cancels out being able to parry, so switch the halberds to the khorne Warriors. Also 24 warriors is more than you will need, use 18-20 in a group (6x3 for killiness, 5x4 for survival).

Marauders are cheap, so I don't pay extra points for bad armour...drop the shields and light armour and you can affoard 16 more with a weapon (there are debates between GW and flails). But use MoK not MoS, the extra attacks are worth the extra points (since both grant ITP).

I don't know anything about DOgre Shaggoth, I proxied him once and he went down fast to poisoned attacks (one of my first games ever, I figured why would this big monster be afraid of little skinks).

Warshrine, I'm in the same boat as you...if I have extra points I give it MoT, if not its no big deal.

I think horsemen have to have a purpose to serve and be equipped appropriately, 10 stock won't get you anywhere (flails are great for hunting warmachines).

Chaos Knights, I usually give them some type of magic banner since they can't handle blocks as well anymore.

Ogres are good, I think trolls are better though.

Characters look fine, I only use Tzeentch magic, but I think that I have read better stuff about Shadow than Death.

envy
13-08-2010, 23:15
Is this supposed to be an army list? That looks like 4k points. Sheesh.

Jericho
13-08-2010, 23:39
Shadow has great synergy with Lore of Nurgle. Death on its own is handy for killing pesky characters, and occasionally generating free PD when it works. I haven't had a huge amount of success in that regard with my BSB using Death from the Book of Secrets, but he attracts a TON of dispel dice attention when casting stuff like Spirit Leech on enemy wizards or Doom & Darkness at the unit my Hellcannon wants to panic off the board.

It's an awful lot of fun when your BSB baits out half of the enemy dispel pool every phase :D

As for unit equipment/mark combos, obviously Tzeentch is sweet for anyone with shields. Nurgle can work with anything, and Khorne is fantastic with halberds. Halberd (shield optional for shooting protection) and hw/shield are probably your best bets for Warriors. Marauders do well with Flails in smaller units, armor and shield for Tzeentch units again, and great weapons can work for any mark if the unit is big enough to soak casualties and still get to attack.

Lupercus
14-08-2010, 14:33
Awesome, thanks for all the great thoughts and ideas guys! I think I've got a slightly better view of things when it comes to Warriors of Chaos in 8th edition now, and I really appreciate it.

theSkullduggery1: Those are some excellent ideas, and I can see myself making use of pretty much all of the advice you've given me there. I know most of it probably seems quite simple and obvious to most, but to me, who has been totally focused on Orcs up until this point, those are all thoughts I needed to be thinking about. Thanks so much for the post.

envy: It's not so much just one army list, more along the lines of all the units I'll have at my disposal for making army lists. This is typically how I build armies, giving myself the option to bring different things and units to different lists. So, yes, even though its a total of around 4000 points, I'd rarely use ALL of it at once. It's more a pool to draw from.

Jericho: Thanks so much for the thoughts! You know, being quite inexperienced with 8th edition at this point, I suppose I haven't given much thought to using the Mark of Tzeentch, but thanks to you, I most certainly am now! I can picture me using that Mark quite often in my lists now, and that definitely changes some things...Thanks!

Lupercus
15-08-2010, 16:50
Okay, so I've made a few changes to the general roster based on the advice I've been given. Also, I've got a few ideas on magic items to add to some of my Heroes and such(ie. Jericho's idea about equipping my BSB with the Book of Secrets...too cool). Here's what I've got in mind;

-Khorne Lord on Juggernaut
-3 Hero types on foot, one of which is a BSB...some suitable Marks thrown in, likely one Nurgle, one Slaanesh, one(likely the BSB) unmarked, or Mark of Khorne
-Wulfrik the Wanderer-He's getting a head swap and will be helmeted, so he'll be able to be used as Wulfrik(not usually likely), or a normal Exalted or some such
-Sorcerer of Tzeentch on Disc(Lord or Hero, depends)
-Sorcerer on foot, Lore of Shadows(?), possibly Death

-24 Chaos Warriors w/ Hlaberds, Shields, full command, Mark of Khorne
-24 Chaos Warriors w/ Hand Weapons, Shields, full command, Mark of Nurgle
-40 Marauders w/ Flails, full command, Mark of Khorne
-Dragon Ogre Shaggoth w/ Additional Hand Weapon
-Chaos Warshrine w/ Mark of Tzeentch...or unmarked
-10 Marauder Horsemen w/ Flails, Mark of Slaanesh(would like to include the MoS somewhere, and here seems to be a good enough place, considering this a most likely a supporting unit at best, maybe even split into two units of 5 for war machine hunting)
-5 Chaos Knights w/ Mark of Khorne OR Mark of Nurgle w/ Banner of Rage(thoughts?)
-6 Chaos Ogres w/ Great Weapons, Chaos Armour, Mark of Khorne

Makaber
15-08-2010, 16:57
For the Dragon Ogre, I'd recommend Great Weapon. He's pretty good at mauling infantry as he is, with his Monstrous Stomp, and Strength 8 gives him some more versatility, making him great at tearing apart cavalry units.

Otherwise, it looks like a solid selection of units. It reminds me a lot of what I'm fielding, myself.

Lupercus
15-08-2010, 17:01
Awesome, thanks Makaber! I was wondering that about the Shaggoth actually, I mean...more than anything, I thought giving him an additional hand weapon would make for an interesting conversion, but I think you're right in saying the Great Weapon is likely a better choice.

Awesome, it's good to see that I'm on the right track then with my compostion, Makaber...I really appreciate the encouragement!

LanceSaba
15-08-2010, 18:21
there is the always wonderful tzeentch chosen with warshrine (tzeetch also for the war save) and the favor of the goods to get a 3+ ward save (i absolutely hate these guys i say they are broken =P) you can add the potion of strength for any idiot that feel like challenging that evil creature.

tzeentch warriors with shields 5 by 4. 3+ 5++ in combat with the blasted standard for a 4++ from shooting. these guys are not going anywhere.

as stated khorne warriors with halberds and khorne marauders with GW, i am not really fond of it but most people rave about them.

khorne lord on jugger with rune sword and other stuff is about as mean as you can get in WoC.

i don't care what anybody says tzeentch magic is still amazing with pandemonium, flaming magic, units killing themselves off (way cooler vs horde formations) and the always useful gateway. Nurgle magic works great as well vs high armor stuff.

horsemen mark of khorne and flails as a glass cannon to take out those pesky war machines.

Shaggoth with GW as an awesome smashy guy.

Think about a hell cannon or two they were mean last addition and they are just nasty now in 8th.

knights should get the banner of rage as they might lost combat to rez.

wulfik is great for also taking out war machines with that horde of marauders.

ogres are meh IMO i would rather take other stuff.