PDA

View Full Version : Stupidity in buildings

stashman
13-08-2010, 23:55
What happens if a unit have a character thats stupid and the character fails his leadership roll in a building.

Do the whole unit exit? Then where from?

Do only the character leave the building? Then where from?

Do they just stay in the building?

Synnister
14-08-2010, 00:15
I'm pretty sure you'd handle this like frenzy.

stashman
14-08-2010, 00:17
Frenzy is to the closest enemy, stupid don't have anything that makes them go in a straigth direction.

Synnister
14-08-2010, 00:24
If you look at the rules for leaving a building if you have frenzy, I think it would work like that.

T10
14-08-2010, 08:45
Having the unit exit the building in a random direction seems stupid enough.

-T10

smithers
14-08-2010, 09:30
Having the unit exit the building in a random direction seems stupid enough.

-T10

That is unless they're too god**** dumb to find the door.

stashman
17-08-2010, 10:56
Reading Abandoning A Building and think that a unit can't move more than twice it's normal Movement, and that is rear rank touching building and if the unit is big it will be a problem to even have space to exit the building.

TheTrueSloth
17-08-2010, 11:33
What happens if a unit have a character thats stupid and the character fails his leadership roll in a building.

Do the whole unit exit? Then where from?

Do only the character leave the building? Then where from?

Do they just stay in the building?

Oooh, that's a tough one.

Having just re-read the rules for stupidity, it does say that:

"Provided they are not engaged in close combat, a unit that contains one or more models with the Stupidity special rule must try to overcome its' stupidity by taking a Leadership test at the start of the turn."

I am paraphrasing slightly, however, the rules do pretty much state that.

And:

"A unit that's that fails its' Stupidity test immediately stumbles D6" directly forwards - this move is otherwise treated in exactly the same manner as a failed charge.".

The rules for Failed Charges also tell us that the unit moves directly forward (and so on and so forth). So therefore I would say that the unit is forced to move D6" forwards during Step One: Start of the turn in the movement phase and cannot take any further action, as described by both the Failed Charge rules and the Stupidity rules.

I was about the point out that, since characters can charge out of units and it does act almost exactly as if it were a failed charge, you could get the character to "failed charge" out of the unit and save the unit. The problem is, Stupidity tells us that if a unit has one or more models who suffer from being stupid, then they must take the Leadership test or the unit moves (as per Me 'Ead 'Urts), so no character stumbling out the building by himself. Probably another one for the FAQ..

Additionally, since I can's see any rules that tell us the unit must enter through the doors on a building :wtf:. Since the rules for Abandoning a building tell us that we automatically place the unit with its' rear rank touching the building, we would just place the unit exactly as if it had exited normally (rear rank touching the building), then move the D6" out of the building as per the move for Stupidity. As for where, I would suggest it depend on exactly where the unit entered - the stupidity would cause them to leave on exactly the opposite side.

So in other words, you get the entire unit to abandon the building and do nothing else that turn because the character is too stupid to know what's good for him. Which is pretty insane when you would think about it. Personally I'm gonna house rule this one in my local gaming group though depending on what the majority think is best for our friendly games.

Toodles

EDIT: Regarding Stashman's comment - The rules do tell us you can't place a model from the uint more than double its' movement value away from the building, so if you have an Wood Elf Wardancer unit with a stupid Wizard (M5) in the ranks who are forced to move, for example, you couldn't have any of the models more than 10" away from the building at the end of the turn. So if you have a particularly large unit exit the building of say Dwarves who would end up say 9", then the rules tell us that they would have to stop at the 6" away from the building (as you said, problematic).

T10
17-08-2010, 17:06
Reading Abandoning A Building and think that a unit can't move more than twice it's normal Movement, and that is rear rank touching building and if the unit is big it will be a problem to even have space to exit the building.

It might not be that big a problem. You can fit a unit of about 140 models onto the table in contact with 6" wide building, assuming Move 4 and 20 mm bases.

-T10

stashman
17-08-2010, 22:39
It might not be that big a problem. You can fit a unit of about 140 models onto the table in contact with 6" wide building, assuming Move 4 and 20 mm bases.

-T10

But you are not Forced to have that formation when exit the building.

T10
18-08-2010, 08:02
That is correct. A smaller number of models could have a different formation.

-T10