PDA

View Full Version : Whats the Most Dynamic Looking Fully Painted Army

Lamont Cranston
14-08-2010, 00:48
I was just wondering what you guy think is the best looking army to see fully painted on the table? Is it the bright and colourful Empire army with their halved and quartered schemes. Or is it the massed ranks of Skaven and Orcs & Goblins. Or is it any of the other armies. Now I'm not talking about armies with major conversions, just basic painted models.

Orcboy_Phil
14-08-2010, 00:51
Wheres the bretts?

Nubl0
14-08-2010, 00:58
No daemons? You ever seen a 3k mixed daemon army? It's possibley one of the most colorful you will see aside from a well painted brett or empire army.

Vaktathi
14-08-2010, 01:07
No Chaos armies in the poll :(

You'd think those would certainly be amongst the most dynamic painted armies.

mrtn
14-08-2010, 01:07
No beastmen in the poll. :no: (I know you couldn't fit them all, but anyway :p)

WiganUltra
14-08-2010, 01:11
What are you really asking here? Your post asks what army looks the 'best', but the poll asks what is the most 'colourful'. To me at least, colourful doesn't not necessarily equal best, so I'm afraid I don't really get what this poll is about.

And if you do mean colourful, then how can you not include Brets or Daemons??

*Apologies if his sounds blunt, I'm not trying to criticise, but merely establish what the deal is with this thread*

Lord of Nonsensical Crap
14-08-2010, 01:20
Argh, by "dynamic," I actually thought you meant "looks like its actually moving." For that reason, I voted for the Wood Elves: the sleekness and posing of a lot of the models does the most to evoke the swiftness and agility that is present in their fluff.

But as far as "best painted" goes,I'll have to agree with WiganUltra that it's too general a criteria.

Duke Georgal
14-08-2010, 01:25
Bretonnia, that was simple. Why is it not on the poll?

Commodus Leitdorf
14-08-2010, 01:26
Empire!

....and it's not just because I play them :shifty:

warmong3r
14-08-2010, 01:29
I say empire, even though i don't play empire, i can just picture all those bright colorful banners and those striped red and blue uniforms. If not empire then maybe Bretonia. Men are very colorful in this game.

Lord Dan
14-08-2010, 01:58
Bretonnia, that was simple. Why is it not on the poll?

It's all part of the plan. The obvious answer isn't an option.

Now what?

Duke Georgal
14-08-2010, 02:22
The obvious answer isn't an option.

Now what?

Simple, just choose "other"! ;)

Kevlar
14-08-2010, 02:29
I think demons look the best.

dimetri1
14-08-2010, 02:44
I voted other because you left out Britonnians.

Kneedles
14-08-2010, 03:31
Brets. If the owner paints every single knight with a different heraldry, and the horses different (dun, pure white, gray, mottled, black, mabye a zebra for the damsels) then the army will look amazing.

And with the peasants, you can use every shade of dirt or dirtlike colors that you have for their clothing.

Kevlar
14-08-2010, 03:39
And with the peasants, you can use every shade of dirt or dirtlike colors that you have for their clothing.

“He must be a king.
Why?
He hasn't got **** all over him.”

wizbix
14-08-2010, 03:42
There is only one colour and it is GREEN.

AlphariusOmegon20
14-08-2010, 04:33
Brets, enough said.

SamVimes
14-08-2010, 04:47
Fail poll. No Brets. This is the very definition of the Bretonian color scheme, and it's not here...why?

Col. Dash
14-08-2010, 05:01
Chaos Dwarves? :P

Proctorkorps
14-08-2010, 05:08
I voted empire. colorful and dynamic are their forte

and yes, i do play empire, but i swear to khorne- er, i mean sigmar :shifty: that it didn't influence my decision at all :rolleyes:

Rogzor87
14-08-2010, 05:13
I am voting other because any army can be colorful and painted to high detail. It just depends on the person and the time they want to put towards it.

Remember its your army you can do what you want with it. Your not stuck stereotyping it to the colors the fluff the army books say.

Ghazbad_Facestompa
14-08-2010, 05:56
Bretonnia, so other.

Duke Georgal
14-08-2010, 05:56
Chaos Dwarves? :P

Are you talking about my Chaos Dwarfs?

If so, thanks!

w3rm
14-08-2010, 06:07
My vote goes to Warriors of Chaos. So many different paint options and cool monsters and maurarders for variety.

Balerion
14-08-2010, 06:55
Since when does "dynamic" equate to "colourful"?

Bretts may be capable of fielding the most colourful army, but at the end of the day 80% of their army still consists of plate-armoured knights on horses arranged in the same-sized formation. Not dynamic at all.

A truly dynamic army has to have all sorts of unit types and formations in addition to pure colour. A token trebuchet and some lousy peasants doesn't cut it.

Oglog
14-08-2010, 10:59
other= bretonnians=winning horray!

Haravikk
14-08-2010, 11:25
Brets or Daemons probably, but then it's really up to you; how colourful do you want your army to be? You can paint a Dwarf army with different colours per regiment if you like, or even per model (as a lot of the 'Eavy Metal pics seem to be).

You can make some stunning armies with Wood Elves by theming each unit, for example you could have a unit of Dryads with foliage and red blossoms, while another has white, or another resembles dead trees and so-on. Autumn, Summer, Winter, Spring themes etc.

If you just stick to stock colour schemes then sure a few armies stand out, but it's really up to you :D

WarmbloodedLizard
14-08-2010, 12:14
voted Wood Elves for most dynamic-looking and then found out that the poll was abaout something completely different...

most colorful is definitely lizardmen. you can paint them any colors you want and they still look great.

for the most annoyingly colored army I vote bretonnia. I hate how GW paints them. the different knightly families is well and all, but the hodgepodge color-scheme it just doesn't look good.

TeddyC
14-08-2010, 22:43
A well done lizardman army is often very striking.

Empire for sheer variation can make for an awesome looking army.

Colours dont always = BEST though.

Some armies are more difficult because of a limited pallette in a lot of cases (ogres, OnG spring to mind) but done well any army can look awesome!

Notasquick
14-08-2010, 23:33
Dynamic: Greenskins;

Colourful: Daemons/Warriors of Chaos or Lizardmen;

explorator
15-08-2010, 00:49
Other wins! Why not just list all the Armies?

Brets all the way, even though the OP didn't even include them.

WiganUltra
17-08-2010, 15:45
Well, since there is no clarification of what was intended by this thread, I've voted other.

Colourful: Brets

Dynamic: Err dunno. Most armies could be made to look very dynamic with different unit types and units from different cities/realms.

chilledenuff
17-08-2010, 15:56
Bretonnians if we're going with dynamic and colourful. i'd say any fully painted/based army looks good though

Gatsby
17-08-2010, 15:59
ok enough with the "this army looks best" lets see some examples.

What are you expecting ME to have a fully painted dynamic looking army?

yea i got no painted fantasy army......

Lorcryst
17-08-2010, 16:26
Tension's Gobotonnia Army.

Gobbos with bretonnian colours, that one has it all, dynamism, colours, conversions ... a real treat.

Gorbad Ironclaw
17-08-2010, 16:31
Where is the options for "the one painted by the best painter"? I don't think there are any armies that inherently looks better than anything else, it's all down to how exactly you do paint them and that have much more to do with the person painting them than it have to do with what models are being painted.

harthag12
17-08-2010, 18:17
Going with Orcs/Gobs, many different types of units, colour scheme can be all over the place, small infantry, medium orc sized, large infantry (trolls) various mounted things, warmachines, a well painted Orc/Gob army looks incredible.

My 2nd choice is probably Chaos or possibly Warriors of Chaos w/ a nice theme to it.

I do like Brett's but they aren't very dynamic, peasant footmen & mounted knights, bout it.

Lordsaradain
17-08-2010, 19:19
Voted Lizardmen(best of the alternatives in the poll)

I fully painetd lizardmen army always looks great as it has so many different elements in different sizes; Huge Stegadon, big kroxigor and slamanders, saurus and teeny skinks, but they still have a unified look as they all are lizards.

Voss
17-08-2010, 19:41
Since when does "dynamic" equate to "colourful"?

Bretts may be capable of fielding the most colourful army, but at the end of the day 80% of their army still consists of plate-armoured knights on horses arranged in the same-sized formation. Not dynamic at all.

A truly dynamic army has to have all sorts of unit types and formations in addition to pure colour. A token trebuchet and some lousy peasants doesn't cut it.

I feel the same way. I'm not sure what the poll is really asking, since most colourful, most dynamic and best looking are unrelated concepts.

Little Joe
18-08-2010, 12:49
voted other, nothing can beat a fully superb painted army of bretonnian knights in full colour with a lot of detailing. The peasants will do a fine contrast in dirty shades with the dukes heraldry to ty them together. If build well also very dynamic. Mind I said superb painting, washes won't save you with the knights!

the anti santa
18-08-2010, 21:44
for the most annoyingly colored army I vote bretonnia. I hate how GW paints them. the different knightly families is well and all, but the hodgepodge color-scheme it just doesn't look good.

I agree with this and don't see why so many people are saying Bretonnians.

Personally I think they look pretty awful and sticking every main colour on them all in the same unit is a mess. The models are not particularly dynamic either and in quite static poses.

I really like both the Dark elf and wood elf armies (aside from the treemen and treekin) as they look great with a limited themed palette and maybe a few brighter units. They also have a diverse array of troops types in the shape of infantry cavarly, skirmishers big and small monsters so look interesting on the table.