PDA

View Full Version : Small and Subtle Changes

Devil-Tears
14-08-2010, 02:17
I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed it, but Great Weapons no longer count as +1S when wielded by mounted characters. Also, a brace of pistols no longer gives an additional attack to mounted models. Just thought these were kinda interesting, as they have little impact on the game in general, but are still rule changes.;)

Anyone else found small and obscure changes in the rulebook?

Ymir
14-08-2010, 03:17
Flaming attacks causes fear in cavalry; I would so have overlooked that if someone hadn't told me about it.

Commissar Vaughn
14-08-2010, 04:16
huh...never spotted that one.

dooombot
14-08-2010, 04:21
Warmachines that fail a Break test in cc are destroyed

Campbell1988
14-08-2010, 04:27
Warmachines that fail a panic test don't flee they just can't shoot next turn.

Odominus
14-08-2010, 04:43
Great Weapons no longer count as +1S when wielded by mounted characters.

You just now noticing all the White Lion knight units? hehe..

Also, a brace of pistols no longer gives an additional attack to mounted models.

This wasn't allowed in 7th either.

T10
14-08-2010, 09:55
You just now noticing all the White Lion knight units? hehe..

Haven't seen any of those, and probably never will.

-T10

Nuada
15-08-2010, 09:21
Snake eyes can now rally a fleeing unit that's under 25%

No more taking your units off saying "it'll never rally, and it'll never cause panic"

peterburstrom
15-08-2010, 09:53
It took me a while to discover that you don't get half victory points from halved units, and that you don't get victory points for fleeing units until they run off the board.

Alathir
15-08-2010, 10:38
Riding a monstrous mount such as a gryphon grants +1 to your armour save. You can't move and volley fire and you can't Stand and Shoot with volley fire.

Lordsaradain
15-08-2010, 13:34
Warmachines that fail a Break test in cc are destroyed

This cant apply to hellcannon and stea tank...

Nuada
15-08-2010, 13:47
This can't apply to the hellcannon or steam tank

Neither of those are war machines. So you're okay.

The Hellcannon is classed as a monster
The Steam Tank is classed as unique

eagletsi1
15-08-2010, 13:50
1) BSB dies if broken in Close Combat. I can't believe how many people don't know about this one.
2) As for the Great Weapons, Bret Questing knights got a major boost.

Skinnydookie
15-08-2010, 14:11
1) Throwing weapons now suffer a -1 to hit for long range, as they appear to only be covered by the quick to fire rule which does not exclude this.

2) Thanks to unit strength going, even a single model attacking in the flank or rear on foot, if he survives, gives +1 or +2 respectivly for flank or rear bonus.

Im not overly happy with either change (certainly not the 2nd one!) so if I am wrong on either of thsese please quote me the page number of the rb or FAQ.

Thanks.

kris.sherriff
15-08-2010, 21:14
Champions being able to refuse challenges and not get sent to the back.

Oh and on the same vain, initiative steps in challenges stopping huge overkill being racked up by lords on monsters.

Kris

Tregar
15-08-2010, 21:21
Why are people acting like warmachines being destroyed in close combat after failing a break test is a new thing? If a warmachine broke in combat in 7th it was spiked. The actual change is that the crew are removed as well, and can't go on to survive/get in the way/recrew other warmachines.

Some other small changes... please correct me if I'm wrong or missed something, the rulebook is not always laid out especially sensibly..!
-Chariots no longer cause damage to enemies that they flee through
-Unengaged units can take panic tests in the combat phase (Before anyone replies to tell me that this isn't a change, it IS so don't bother, thanks ;) )
-Speaking of panic tests they're ALWAYS taken as soon as they're caused, even 25% damage
-If you're engaged with multiple enemies in close combat, and flee through one of them, you can still be killed by them
-Terror-causes panic tests, and you will take a panic test every time a terror-causer declares a charge, even if it isn't in range and even if you've already taken one that game
-When fleeing you carry on in the same direction rather than going towards the closest edge
-You can hit stuff on 9s now by rolling a 6 followed by a 6

UberBeast
16-08-2010, 01:32
TLOS seems to have added a bit of obscurity (ironically) to how people are placing characters in units.

Kal Taron
16-08-2010, 07:22
Anyone else noticed that rerolls now effect IR? Quite an interesting little detail.

Billy
16-08-2010, 07:29
Normal standard bearers also die of heart attacks like BSB's. Not simply keeping the model and losing the banner.

GW causing +2 str while mounted is a boost for the white lion HE chariots.

Loopstah
16-08-2010, 13:04
Neither of those are war machines. So you're okay.

The Hellcannon is classed as a monster
The Steam Tank is classed as unique

Actually the Steam Tank is a Chariot. The FAQ changed it.

BluePojo
16-08-2010, 13:39
Actually the Steam Tank is a Chariot. The FAQ changed it.

So flaming attacks cause fear in the steam tank?!

I guess that's fine... fear is kinda worthless in 8th anyway.

SkawtheFalconer
16-08-2010, 15:02
Isn't the Steam tank unbreakable, thus immune to psycology?

chilledenuff
16-08-2010, 15:51
I guess that's fine... fear is kinda worthless in 8th anyway.

Run a low ld army, fear gets annoying in 8th, but not the ubernasty rule it was in 7th. At least I can take my all gobbo army now and it doesn't run off the board with one unit of dire wolves* hitting it on the flank!

*extreme example but it did happen, turn 2 against VCs.. not pleasant

wbravenboer
16-08-2010, 17:15
I was wondering about the BSB... it says that you can rally him, so he can only rally if he is fleeing, so he should be able to survive a lost combat? Where does it say he dies when the unit breaks?

chilledenuff
16-08-2010, 17:16
all standard bearers (bsb or not) die when they flee from combat, it's in the fleeing from combat section, don't have the rulebook with me so can't give you a page no, sorry

NecroNurgle
16-08-2010, 17:20
I was wondering about the BSB... it says that you can rally him, so he can only rally if he is fleeing, so he should be able to survive a lost combat? Where does it say he dies when the unit breaks?

Flee from panic can still happen.

wbravenboer
16-08-2010, 19:24
As I understand it, he dies when he flees, for example when a unit breaks within 6"?
But if the unit he is with, loses a combat, and breaks, but survives because the dices is higher than the pursue roll, he can still rally? That is what I understand from the rulebook.. I understand the normal banner is lost when the unit breaks, but also the BSB, why would they say in the rulebook that when you are trying to rally, first rally the BSB, so you can reroll your leadership tests? It is on page 107 'Hold your Ground'