PDA

View Full Version : What army is most like Space Wolves in way played

drmckool
14-08-2010, 06:21
Sorry for the long and 40k centric title

i have gotten back into 40k recently after a few years off and finally (After before my hiatus playing pretty much every army) have found an army i really like to play. however; after not being able to play today at the local GW because of Fantasy night i think i might as well build a WHFB army. so my question is which Fantasy army plays most like the space wolves in being all around balanced but focused on the counter attack (if you all understand what i'm saying).

thank you

Rogzor87
14-08-2010, 06:31
I would more then likely have to say High elves.

They are an Elite army that has a rule that lets them always strike first. Even if you were higher initiative or charged(7th edition) they struck first. And now with the new rules. They pretty much have "Preferred enemy" as long as there Initiative is higher then what they are fighting.

Another example would be Empire. They have parent units that can get sub units called Detachments. In which, If the enemy were to charge your Parent Unit then your Detachment can "Counter charge" the enemy unit even with it being the enemies turn. Usually they hit the flanks of the charging unit which gives you alot more attacks and combat resolution which helps you win that combat.

High Elves I believe are generally considered better then Empire atm though. I don't really know much about the armies but those 2 would more then likely be the best bet. Unless someone else wants to say something.

One thing you do need to realize is that the only benefit of charging is +1 to combat resolution. You don't get +1 to attack like in 40k, You also don't get to strike first like in 7th edition. All it does is give you +1 to combat resolution which isn't all to great in the current format of 8th edition of Large deep units.

Mr Zoat
14-08-2010, 08:19
Norse. Sure, you don't have an actual army book...

T10
14-08-2010, 08:53
Orcs. It's a nice mix of sneakiness and straight-forward brutality.

-T10

SeaSwift
14-08-2010, 08:56
Warriors of Chaos, using big blocks of Marauders and some cavalry

Urgat
14-08-2010, 09:21
"rolls a D6 and looks up the result (nah, seriously!)"
4: warriors of chaos: darn, already taken.
"rerolls"
1: Empire
"rerolls"
3: Bretonians. You shoot the enemy to death with your trebuchets and longbows, then when in range, crush your enemy with a series of lance charges.

Serious answer: with the switch to I and step up making the order of charge being irreleant for damage output purposes, any army with a decent amount of shooting and good melee troops available fits. That's pretty much everybody besides oddballs like vampire counts, really.

marakaelis
14-08-2010, 11:27
How about Beasts of Chaos.

* Ungors and Gors as the ambushing scouts : capable in a fight, with actual ambushing rules for effect and the Ungors can shoot.
* Warhounds as.. wolves.
* Bestigors as Grey Hunters and/or Wolf Guard. Tough and capable core troops.
* Centaurs as Wolf Bikers, with a good charge and some shooting capabilities.
* Minotaurs as ThunderWolf Cavalry, with amazing hand to hand combat capabilities.
* And for characters, you got your Lords, Heroes, Shamans and even a Minotaur Lord (not that Space Wolvish, but still very cool).

You can even model Beasts of Chaos to look similar to Wolf-ish troops. They are Beast-men after all.
(Confrontations) Wolfen could provide good bits & pieces. Look here for a cheap deal:
http://store.rackham-e.com/en/confrontation/additions-and-accessories/starter-set-wolfen-scorpion

http://paizo.com/image/content/Secondary/RKHCFAC04-WolfenFigure_500.jpeg

Kevlar
14-08-2010, 12:35
I would say warriors of chaos is the closest fantasy army to space marines. The whole army can get a 3+ save and their chaos armor is similar in proportion to power armor. Also much like space marines the whole army has awesome stat lines, and again like space marines they are undercost for what they do.

You can also give them marks like chaos space marines or play them markless like vanilla marines. No rhino rush with turbo charged engines though.

Vaktathi
14-08-2010, 21:52
I would say warriors of chaos is the closest fantasy army to space marines. The whole army can get a 3+ save and their chaos armor is similar in proportion to power armor. Also much like space marines the whole army has awesome stat lines, and again like space marines they are undercost for what they do.

You can also give them marks like chaos space marines or play them markless like vanilla marines. No rhino rush with turbo charged engines though.

That's the first time I think I've ever seen someone call Warriors undercosted. :p

night2501
15-08-2010, 00:13
I think first we should know, how do you like to play.

also you might find that fantasy unlike 40K is a game of grays where 40K is black or withe, in many aspects, for example, in 40K psychology plays almost no part in the game, specially since you play marines, in fantasy the game can be decided around psychology, as much as it can be decided around shooting, positioning, or god old combat.
All armies can use a wide arrange of stiles, and still be effective.

that said, my guess for you, would be Ogre kingdom, ok they do not have a counter charge mechanic, or are renown for their shooting, but take a look at them ;)

so, how do you play???

Gaargod
15-08-2010, 02:47
That's the first time I think I've ever seen someone call Warriors undercosted. :p

That's the first time i've heard someone call basic marines undercosted :D

Grey Hunters with gear (155 for 9 of them with melta and rhino, for example) are very good value for price. Normal tactical squads, not so much.

Also, i'd say WoC work best for them. Not much of a shooting phase, but they certainly do the brutal reactionary infantry, fast and killy cav and magic!

Kneedles
15-08-2010, 04:13
WoC have the closest to space marine statlines I think, and are from Norsca. So use your extra space wolf bits and get to close combat, then smack the tar out of stuff.

Empire are kinda more like IG, and High Elves are more like eldar - Kill stuff but basically nougat when it comes to attacks back.

And Knights of Khorne might as well be terminators....

Balerion
15-08-2010, 04:57
Space Wolves are too powerful for too few points, so I'd say Dark Elves are the most apt comparison. :p

eyescrossed
15-08-2010, 06:20
Space Wolves are too powerful for too few points, so I'd say Dark Elves are the most apt comparison. :p

I think someone sneezed while they were typing. You do mean Daemons, don't you? :angel:

drmckool
15-08-2010, 06:44
so, how do you play???

ah the most obvious thing for me to say and yet i didn't.

My play style has most recently been described as "The Vimy Glide" with space wolves (the Vimy Glide was a Canadian military tactic used by Gen. Arthur Currie during WW1 at the battle of Vimy Ridge). Essentially i try and advance as quick as possible using heavy support to cover my troops and then get into CC as soon as possible. i play very aggressively and kind of "go big or go home"

Balerion
15-08-2010, 07:36
I think someone sneezed while they were typing. You do mean Daemons, don't you? :angel:
I'm not too familiar with Daemons, but my impression is that they are blatantly overpowered and capable of steamrolling unprepared opponents. The 40K equivalent for that would probably be mech IG.

My impression of Dark Elves is that they're almost a balanced army, but trend towards over-performing for their cost, and have a handful of no-brainer, power choices. That sounds like a good Space Wolves analogue to me.

Dag
15-08-2010, 07:58
lol, here comes the space wolf hate! <3 the internet.

First off, Space Wolves are fine, you dont see them steamrolling tournies or dominating gaming groups. People scream about them being overpowered ... compared to a tac marine, when it plainly states, they're like tac marines, but take more stuff, and are a tac marine but with more stuff.... maybe if you took your bloody helmet off you could look around a bit more =D.

But enough of 40k, its a fantasy board so keep it fantasy oriented for as long as possible.

If you like the covered assault method id go with ogres to be honest.

1- Your big bull / irongut units are brutal cc units that smash other things in the face.

2- scraplaunchers and leadbelchers = lots of moving &shooting units coming up with your main forces, both of which are pretty good in a combat too.

3- Everyone loves watching 20 swordmasters grind against 80 gnoblars 5wide ALL game.... lol my buddy never brings swordmasters anymore...

4_ Gut magic is kind of rune magic 'ee in the fact of bonus' to str / t or special abilities based of improving your units upposed to nuking other people.

5- Thundermace = combat winner, there is no equal.

6- Ogres are cool?

but yes, chaos could look much wolfier and badass.

Ka Faraq Gatri
15-08-2010, 12:34
My play style has most recently been described as "The Vimy Glide" with space wolves (the Vimy Glide was a Canadian military tactic used by Gen. Arthur Currie during WW1 at the battle of Vimy Ridge). Essentially i try and advance as quick as possible using heavy support to cover my troops and then get into CC as soon as possible. i play very aggressively and kind of "go big or go home"

Empire or Dwarfs then. A solid core of artillery and crossbows/handguns to lay down a barrage, with blocks of infantry and (in the case of the Empire) cavalry moving forward and beating the heck out of the enemy.

Empire get cannons, mortars, volley guns and rockets, along with infantry armed in a variety of ways - spear, halberd, sword and shield; free company who are cheap enough to put in huge blocks, greatswords who hit very hard - and both light and heavy cavalry.

Dwarfs have cannons, flame cannons, organ guns and bolt throwers. Their infantry hit hard and generally have pretty decent armour, and with the new charging rules, can get into combat nearly as fast as anyone else. Their miners can appear behind the enemy like Wolf Scouts.

Leatus
15-08-2010, 13:39
I played Blood angels before there bad remake in WD, and Space Wolves now, and I play by the sounds of it similar to you.

Closest to them in fantasy is probably Chaos, but if your a space marine player who doesn't like flirting with Chaos, then High Elves.

High Elves are really fast, strike first against pretty much everything and deal lots of damage quickly. They just can't take it aswell as space marines or other armies, but there not like 40k Eldar. I really dont like 40k Eldar play style and would say there nothing like the High Elves who i find play more like SM but with some serious enhanced libarians. Mephiston x5 style libarians just read posts about what teclis can do.

night2501
15-08-2010, 14:29
After reading wath you want, I agree with Dag and think my idea of OK was right.

OK do have some covering fire, are tough and brutal, specially on the charge, also they can actually look like hunters, and have some flanker units, for example the gorger that enter like reserves on the opponent side of the table, and the yetis who have some nice movement and can go trough any terrain, ans have a nice cold/ice feelign to them, the hunter has a long fang tiger, who could be replaced by a huge wolf for the same effect, and they use animal skins too... if I remember right...

and also as I told you most armies can use a tactic as loosely described as that, hell even WE can put that on the table going with lotīs of archers and some treekin units for the shock.

drmckool
15-08-2010, 20:09
As of Now i am thinking High Elves, Dwarfs, OK, or Orcs (i just really like something about them). I'll research them, thank you for the suggestions.

UberBeast
16-08-2010, 00:30
To OP I'd say Warriors of Chaos in my mind. Lots of powerful well armored core with uber elite units and damaging spells.