PDA

View Full Version : Magic res against spells with no saves of any kind?

dridz
14-08-2010, 08:35
Hey guys. I know things are very literal in 8th edition, but for my poor little brains sake, how is everyone understanding this.

If a unit have magic res thus allowing it a ward save against any magic spell, what happens with spells that disallow saves of any kind?

My logic says "no saves of any kind" but then it says "magic resistance is a special form of resistance against the magical power causing the spell itself".

How is everyone using this?

Tae
14-08-2010, 08:43
Hey guys. I know things are very literal in 8th edition, but for my poor little brains sake, how is everyone understanding this.

If a unit have magic res thus allowing it a ward save against any magic spell, what happens with spells that disallow saves of any kind?

My logic says "no saves of any kind" but then it says "magic resistance is a special form of resistance against the magical power causing the spell itself".

How is everyone using this?

See bolded parts.

Magic res = ward save

No save = no ward save

therefore no save = no magic res.

GodlessM
14-08-2010, 10:59
Tae is correct, though it must be said that the rule doesn't make much sense; you should at least get the MR part of your ward save regardless.

Haravikk
14-08-2010, 11:28
Especially frustrating for spells like Purple Sun (which I simply hate, it should never have been included). While it's interesting fluff-wise for an entire unit to be turned to crystal if they don't jump out of the way, in game-play terms it just ruins a game when it eats close to a full unit.

You should always be allowed your magic resistance save at the very least, ideally all ward-saves, or even more ideally area of effect spells simply shouldn't dole out instant kills (and simply inflict hits instead), but no, someone decided it would be silly to have spells that give the target a chance of surviving... [/rant]

WarmbloodedLizard
14-08-2010, 11:42
it's really bad design. they just should always allow ward saves except for very special spells (and certainly this should not include whole-units-killer spells).