PDA

View Full Version : 2000pt Dogs of War list

retro111
04-03-2006, 15:10
As a modeling/conversion project, I've decided to start work on a Dogs of War army. This is going to be my first Warhammer Fantasy army, and though it's intended more for the conversions, I'd like to make it somewhat competitive on the tabletop. This is what I've come up with so far:

Core Units:
Pikes:
Pirazzo's Lost Legion x20 - 260 points (the front rank has crossbows instead of pikes)
Leopold's Leopard Comapny x20 - 330 points
Crossbows:
Braganza's Besiegers x10 - 185 points
Marksmen of Miraglino x10 - 180 points
Cavalry:
Voland's Venators x8 - 263 points

Special Units:
Paymaster's Bodyguard x17 - 170 points

Rare Units:
Artillery:
Bronzino's Galloper Guns x2 - 265 points (counts as two Rare choices)

Heroes:
Paymaster - 77 points
- great weapon
- heavy armour
- talisman of protection

Lords:
Wizard Lord - 260 points
- level 4 wizard
- dispel scroll x2

Total: 1995 points

Dogs of War rules and lists, for those who don't know what on earth I'm talking about, can be found here. (http://uk.games-workshop.com/dogsofwar/)

I'm currently very heavy on Regiments of Renown for a number of reasons, the first being that I like the idea of each unit having a character leading it. As well, it fits nicely with my army theme of a bandit group hiring itself out as a mercenary army - sort of Robin Hood-ish, if you like. I'm intending to do like the fellow who made a Kislev-themed Dogs of War army a couple White Dwarfs ago and use 'counts as' for all the units so that they fit better into the army theme.

That said, I think that the list could stand to be a little more mobile - as it is, it relies a lot on shooting the enemy until they decide to come towards you. I was considering adding Mengil's Manflayers as a sort of elite skirmishing unit, like forest rangers or something like it, but their points cost is so high as to be a bit impractical as the list currently stands.

I am open to any and all suggestions except those saying I should remove the galloper guns. :P

Thanks for your time.

Diato
08-03-2006, 03:27
A couple of suggestions:

Braganza's Besiegers guys with huge shields does not really fit with the bandit Idea replace them with generic crossbowman and duelist (these could be your highwayman). I think in the name of competiveness you will have to swap one of the named pikes unit for generic and make them both bigger. Maybe try to find points for war banner in the bodyguard. I guess I wonder why 8 Volands? A unit of Light Cav (mounted highwaymen) would be very nice.

retro111
08-03-2006, 05:57
I'm converting all the models for the army myself, rather than using the original archive models. Mixing Brettonian Men-at-Arms with Empire Militia, plus maybe the Mordheim equipment sprues should yield good results. Bit of brass rod for the pike-shafts and you're good to go.

As far as the RoRs go, I've thought about it, and I'll definitely be cutting back on them - going to swap out the Leopard Company for standard pikemen and drop the Besiegers for regular crossbows like you suggested. The idea for using them in the first place is that I liked the idea of having my wizard with a number of lieutenants, each leading a unit.

I've been reading some DoW tacticas suggesting duellists with pistols - what are your thoughts on those?

At any rate, I should have an updated list up here sometime tomorrow.

Diato
09-03-2006, 01:46
I love my Duellists with pistols, I never used them before 6 months ago even though I have played DOW since 5th edition but as soon as I tried them I was hooked.

Crazy Harborc
09-03-2006, 18:41
Fast cav with regular bows and shields. Being able to "march move"(my words, okay) AND still shoot is a BIG deal. You start 24 inches apart.16 inch move and then shoot too:evilgrin:

Do you have any unbarded horses? Get a box of Empire knights. When your knights are assembled (may I suggest a "worn look" to the paint jobs) (use very little glue) glue the knights onto the unbarded horses. Pinning and no glue is good, a "tacky clay" is better.

Remember those barded horses?? Well, they can be the mounts when you want DoW "barded" heavy cav.

A heavy cav (barded horses) unit "could" include empire, brets, silver helms, dragon Princes even a "defrocked" chaos knight or two.:evilgrin:

retro111
10-03-2006, 19:00
Okay, did some thinking and juggling and I've revised the list a bit. Dropped the Leopard Company, and the two RoR crossbow units, replacing them with their standard counterparts and some pistol-wielding duellists. Perhaps the biggest change is losing the Paymaster's Bodyguard for the Manflayers. I was a bit unsure about this, because they're a big points sink, but I think they could be pretty effective if used well, and their rules would work really well in a bandit-styled army - instead of 'Flaying', they'd be looting the corpses left behind when a unit breaks. Let me know what you think, please.

Lords:
Wizard Lord - 175 pts
*Level 4 - 35 pts
*Dispel Scroll x2 - 50 pts

Heroes:
Paymaster - 55 pts
*Heavy armour - 4 pts
*Great weapon - 4 pts
*Talisman of Protection - 15 pts

Rare:
2x Bronzino's Galloper Guns - 265 pts

Core: