PDA

View Full Version : Ogre battalion assembly (tactics question I promise)

theDregs
14-08-2010, 22:45
My wife was awesome enough to buy me a battalion box of Ogres. Nice, huh? Of course she didn't know that I need a code- er, armybook. I'm not here asking for rules, of course. I just want to get assembling and I want to make sure that I don't inadvertently glue some weapon somewhere when I ought to be glueing something else.

Like, are those hand spiky things the same as hand weapons? Should I just wait?

i have a mess of night goblins and some various other bits as well that I am going to convert into a scrap launcher, and I also have a model that is a decent proxy for a Yeti or Gorger.

WarmbloodedLizard
15-08-2010, 00:07
it depends on what you want^^

best start with Ironguts:
they are the easiest (not to assemble, it's just that you can't give them the wrong weapons). there are 4. and if you want, you can also make a bull into an irongut standard bearer for a total of 5. (nice unit for a character)

then bulls:
right hand --> any weapon you want.
left hand ---> Ironfists, Additional Hand weapon, or nothing(glue on Add. HW and cut off weapon). [I'd suggest ironfists] now you have 5 or 6 bulls (depending on whether you gave the Ironguts a standard)

finally leadbelchers:
pretty straight forward. If you want leadbelchers, you get 4. if you only want two, just assemble two of them as bulls. (etc.)

gnoblars:
you get about 40 gnoblars in total. you just need more bases. make sure they rank up properly.

I'd go for 4 Ironguts, 1 iron gut standard bearer, 2 lead belchers, 6 Bulls, 1 converted character, as many gnoblas as you can make.

that should give you the perfect modelcount to make a strong 1000pts army (strong for ogres at least^^). and don't worry about having used 2 of the leadbelchers as bulls, you can always buy more bulls and use the bits to get additional belchers.

more ogre info on www.ogrestronghold.com

theDregs
15-08-2010, 01:25
GREAT!

i didn't realize you could make extra gnoblars. I do have bases. I also didn't realize you could stick with 2 belchers. I was assembling the ironguts before I read this. Good call Dregs!

Do you have any suggestions on making a bull into a character?

WarmbloodedLizard
15-08-2010, 14:04
head:
irongut-helm-head or the 2-skulls-head from the command group sprue (if you want a butcher, use the iron-gut head without a helmet)

gutplate:
command sprue plate (2 knifes + maw) or one from the irongut sprue

weapon:
build your own, there are lots of unsused parts to make cool weapons, also use bits from other armies.

other:
-use shields from the irongut sprue to give him more armor (if you haven't already used them for your ironguts)
-another fun conversion would be to use the irongut gutplate with the single spike, cut off the chainmail and use it as a helmet. :D (used that for my irongut standardbearer)
-put 1-3 left-over gnoblars on his base. (sword and luck gnoblars)

theDregs
15-08-2010, 15:42
Thanks!

I was going to ask if he should have a 1 or 2 handed weapon, but what I think I'll do is give him a really big weapon in one hand. That way it could count as either, just because he's holding a weapon in one hand doesn't necessarily mean he can swing it that way, right?

As for a helm, I think I am gonna use the hat from my monopoly game. I read somewhere it fits, and I could use it as a Wizarding hat if I choose! Maybe I can gs a tie on him so he'll look all dapper.

Happily, when I built my ironguts last night, I used a couple of bull heads/gutplates just in case. I figured the only thing people would see was the 2-handed weapons when identifying them anyway. I guess it shows that I have done this stuff before!

Sticking gnoblars on his base didn't occur to me, appreciate that.

This thread has given me exactly the info I need, which is rare and awesome. My wife was all disappointed when I didn't immediately build my stuff. Now I feel vindicated.

WarmbloodedLizard
15-08-2010, 16:46
this thread just reminded me that I wanted to convert a butcher :)

used the butcher-like head on the leadbelcher sprue (i think), basic arms cut the bigger basic sword in two (above the hand) attached the blade to the left arm (skrag the slaughterer-like) and used the hand for the right arm (with the butcher's cleaver from the bull sprue). for the gutplate i used the command maw plate. then i attached some knives and spare ribs to his belt and I was finished. it's pretty basic, but look alright and is easy to make :)