PDA

View Full Version : Best core empire state troops ??

ivrg
14-08-2010, 22:51
Which is the best core empire state troops now with 8th?
Using the calculator i get it to spearmen because they have the most attacks to hit back with.
But still sowrdmen have the best defense and I4. But its rare that I4 plays a big role, i think.. A 6+ward aginst close combat attacks is really good for swordsmen.

Korraz
14-08-2010, 22:59
Hellebardiers fullstop
Cheap. Kill stuff. Take them in buckets.

Jericho
14-08-2010, 23:50
I'll be taking swordsmen and halberds in my lists. Never did like spearmen.

WarmbloodedLizard
15-08-2010, 00:11
halberdiers > swordsmen > pink panther > your grandmother > spearmen

Kneedles
15-08-2010, 04:48
Halberds kill, swordsmen are harder to kill. Spears are crappy and will not get more kills with an extra rank then halberds would without that extra rank attacking.

Putty
15-08-2010, 07:46
crossbowmen.

in blocks of 20 with just a standard.

em_en_oh_pee
15-08-2010, 08:50
I am taking big, big units of Halberdiers with detachments of Swordsmen. Seems like a good plan to me.

Slayerthane
15-08-2010, 09:52
I prefer spearmen over halberdiers, 5+ armor save over 6+ armor save, 1 more rank of attacks does more damage on average than +1 strength. Swordsmen are probably the best, 6+ wardsave, 5+ armor save, WS 4...best allrounders I think.

elite_dannux
15-08-2010, 11:19
5+ AS is nothing to eaven remotly rely on. ALOT of things pierce that armour.
6+ Ward is nice but also nothing special at all.

You will be taking alot of casualties no matter what infantry you take and there is a minimal difference between them.

Overall Halberds actually came out on top. IIRC there was a dude on Warhammer-Empire that did the math on all statetroopers.

brynolf
16-08-2010, 00:15
Yeah, halberds is probably the best choice now. Supporting attacks really benefits them with S4. Spears got worse since that extra rank of attacks is worth relatively less now when everything fights in two ranks. Swordsmen work well as detachments or as a big Steadfast anvil.

Jericho
16-08-2010, 05:31
S4/T4 in Fantasy is a big deal. In Fantasy where it's common to have a lot more 3's in the statline (when compared to 40k), it's really hard to pass up a chance to get S4 without striking last. Makes the units much more reliable against elite units, and also against units with 3+ or better armor save.

My plan would be to use Halberdiers with a Warrior Priest as the parent unit, and Swordsmen as the flankers. They aren't there for the damage, they're there to disrupt ranks as long as possible. The extra WS and armor/parry bonus will help them soak a bit of damage before they stop being useful in this regard.

For shooting units, I still prefer crossbows to handguns. Shooting on turn 1 is a big deal when so many armies will be charging (or at least declaring charges!) on turn 2.