PDA

View Full Version : Saving a Buck, or Quid...

Vandelan
14-08-2010, 22:01
I just got a bits order in the mail and it had me thinking: What do other folks that play Fantasy do to save money on the game? I was also wondering if anyone had any tips and/or tricks that could save a few other gamers their hard earned money. I wouldn't say this thread is about modeling or terrain so much as it is about saving money down the line.

To start off, I've started scratch building a lot of things. This includes making my own catapult frames out of polystyrene rods.

I also use the Tomb Kings Charioteers models on regular bases as Tomb Guard in order to save money down the line considering regular skellies do just fine in the chariots.

wizbix
14-08-2010, 22:14
Well I managed to convince my girlfriend to spend 200 + on models for me last christmas. It saved me a heap of money! 200 + to be exact. :)

shelfunit.
14-08-2010, 22:14
1) Buy models from other manufacturers eg Mantic = saving of 50+% of the cost straight away.

2) If in a (very) trusting gaming group buy armies for the group and have communal army/rule book(s).

Personally I'm buying a shed load of green stuff on ebay (6ish quid for 36") and am going to attempt (probably with many a laughable failure) to sculpt my own minis - mostly parts of minis tho, so I can use the many extra arms/heads etc in my bits box.

Bodysnatcher
14-08-2010, 22:23
Buy only the models you need.

mrtn
14-08-2010, 22:24
Mostly I save money by buying second hand models. I also scratch build and convert stuff, as well as using non-GW models, tools, paints and so on. My latest project only used a couple of skaven models and some bits, and will count as a 250 points Abomination.

wizbix
14-08-2010, 22:25
Actually on a more serious note, my best tip is to only buy a box or enough for a unit and refrain from buying more until those ones are painted up.

Haravikk
14-08-2010, 23:05
Personally I'm buying a shed load of green stuff on ebay (6ish quid for 36") and am going to attempt (probably with many a laughable failure) to sculpt my own minis - mostly parts of minis tho, so I can use the many extra arms/heads etc in my bits box.
That's a brilliant idea actually; I could probably double the size of my Dwarf army if I could make bodies for the left over bits that I have! Dwarf bodies aren't that complex (though I suck a bit at sculpting with Green Stuff).

Is annoying that there's so much left over, much of it being the three unnecessary command sprues; they should have had three of the sprues with something else on that half, such as more bodies! Put six on each and a couple extra upper bodies and GW could be making boxes of 34 Dwarfs instead of 16!

1) Buy models from other manufacturers eg Mantic = saving of 50+% of the cost straight away.
I recently discovered the Mantic miniatures, but to be honest I can't say I care much for them. The Elves especially are really horrible, and not quite the right proportions; I got a free sampler with two of them on, one now has his head dashed apart on some rocks, while another is having his head swiped off in a gory mess by a Fen Beast :D

Blackknight1239
14-08-2010, 23:14
There are a lot of retailers online that offer substantial discounts on GW stuff. For big boxes or orders, I usually go to them. For blisters, glue+paints, and the occasional boxed set, I go to my FLGS.

w3rm
14-08-2010, 23:16
Make your own forest spirits out of sticks a and moss. Lots of plastic conversions for charachters.

StrawberryMcFairyShoes
14-08-2010, 23:42
Buy only the models you need.

+1

And never go in a GW store without knowing what you're going to buy and stick to it. And as already mentioned make your characters out of leftover bits and green stuff.

On the other hand I'm not a fan of Mantic. I think the models look like what GW produced in the early nineties (Except for their ghouls which are suprisingly gorgeous.). I also think most people play in GW stores or tournaments which makes non GW products not an option. GW models are expensive, yes, but their quality is imo unsurpassed (although Avatar of War looks really nice.).

Desert Rain
14-08-2010, 23:47
Buying stuff from the Internet usually saves you some money. Ebay and similar sites can also give you good deals. I got about 3000 points of 4th and 5th edition HE models for 40 once.

If you are good with green stuff and creative with conversions you can make new models. I have a friend who pays wood elves, and he has build all of his treekin and treemen out of green stuff and some dryad parts.

Makaber
15-08-2010, 00:03
I buy everything with a value of less than 20 from a british webstore with free shipping. The markup when GW stuff hits the norweigan market is horrible, and then the local game store takes their cut, so buying at the british price, with a good exchange rate, small discount, and no additional expenses sees me saving over 10 a regiment box.

Also, I buy some on eBay. You can score some nice deals there, especially on poorly painted but easily strippable models. And I try to trade some of my surplus bits and leftovers for stuff I actually need, locally.

Cap'n Facebeard
15-08-2010, 02:45
I must add another vote for ebay, my Empire army was assembled for about $100 Australian, contains several OOP models and works out to about 2500 points worth.

Try your hand at sculpting, too. You can only get better. Some things are very easy to make a cheap version of with sculpting. I recently ebayed a pile of old monopose skaven and intend to green stuff hoods onto them to make Plague Monks, saving myself heaps (considering those 70ish monopose skaven cost about $30 AU).

Gekiganger
15-08-2010, 03:26
Actually on a more serious note, my best tip is to only buy a box or enough for a unit and refrain from buying more until those ones are painted up.

I used to be able to proudly claim I stuck to this. Now I've got a couple hundred additional skaven to paint up that I'm having trouble catering to thanks to uni.

Making use of the extras from sprues is my favourite method of saving money via making the most of what you get from a box. Making minibeasts for giant rat swarms is fairly easy and considering how small the giant rats are, it helps me break even since I generally have more than 1 rat per base. Rat ogre hands and greenstuff 'things' are a favourite.

ozzyboy
15-08-2010, 04:13
I don't know about the legality of this, and I assume that its not too big of a deal as long as you don't sell anything, but there's a couple people in my gaming group who are going to start casting the bits you need to complete minis.

E.G. The marine box has enough torsos and such to make a few more marines, but no legs, so he's going to cast a leg sprue and use those extra bits. (Basically solving Haravikk's problem.)

Luthor
15-08-2010, 04:42
Miniaturemarket.com

Started buying from them when they had the AT-43 sale, never had a reason to stop.

Lordsaradain
15-08-2010, 12:23
Check out my sig! ;)

vstag
15-08-2010, 12:59
I buy most of my models from thewarstore.com they sell all GW stuff 20% off retail and have a flat 5 doller shipping fee. So if your buying 20 dollers or 200 dollers worth of stuff its only 5 for shipping.

Also keep checking ebay, I picked up about 250 to 300 dollers worth of Ogres for less then a 100. Stuff changes all the time on ebay so if you whant to something keep checking back every few days or once a week and you will find it and find it cheap too.

Loopstah
15-08-2010, 13:19
If I'm buying lots of stuff I usually use an online retailer with a good discount or ebay.

If I'm buying smaller amounts I just go to the local GW and pay the cost.

Ancre
15-08-2010, 13:29
Also unit fillers ! But they have to be done well.

smithers
15-08-2010, 13:38
Hand-sculpted models is a cool idea, but it's hard to accept as a "money saver"

After the cost of greenstuff and the time spent sculpting I don't think you are saving anything. Now maybe if you value your time at 10p/hour you can get some savings but really this is worth considering only if you want to have some unique models, which of course is very cool.

My only advice is to watch ebay. From time to time you will see some really good deals pop up. Especially lots of poorly-painted minis that can be stripped or just primed over if the paint's not too thick.

StrawberryMcFairyShoes
15-08-2010, 15:49
Being creative with "unit fillers" is also another way. A guy in our GW store uses trees to fill in his units of glade guard. Looks good and can save you half a box of core if you're intelligent with it.

kyussinchains
15-08-2010, 16:44
I think unit fillers done in a creative way are really good, a guy on here did some for his skeletons, with a headstone and a couple of skeletons pushing their way up through the ground, I think you could do good ones with Skaven coming out of tunnels (like I plan on doing)

just don't do it too much, 1/2 fillers per unit is plenty and you want to avoid 'army of bases' syndrome.....

yabbadabba
15-08-2010, 17:13
These are all good ideas tbh. The other big one is plan. Plan your army, your purchases and keep revising that plan. The old school way was to buy the models you wanted in your army for the front ranks, and the ones you could afford for rank fillers.

Oglog
15-08-2010, 17:22
only buy models when you have painted all your other ones. If you paint as slowly as me, you won't be buying much! Also, don't buy white dwarf (firstly, because it is a waste of money, secondly becuase it wont tempt you to buy the shiny new models that, along with GWs propaganda, they force in your face on every page)

Gekiganger
15-08-2010, 19:28
I think unit fillers done in a creative way are really good, a guy on here did some for his skeletons, with a headstone and a couple of skeletons pushing their way up through the ground, I think you could do good ones with Skaven coming out of tunnels (like I plan on doing)

Indeed, good looking unit fillers can make the unit a lot more personalised and stand out from the mass of brown / green / bone that makes a lot of horde armies. I've always wanted to do a 'getting stabbed in the back' unit filler for some clanrats, slaves are full of possibilities aswell.

just don't do it too much, 1/2 fillers per unit is plenty and you want to avoid 'army of bases' syndrome.....

This, as good as unit fillers can be - it's not nice when they're being cheaply pulled off and blatantly just an excuse to save money with no artistic merit.

Hrokka `Eadsplitter
15-08-2010, 19:45
Check out Stuffburgers How to be cheap on hobby supplies:
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174849&highlight=cheap+hobby+supplies
Sorry, will have to fix the link..

Cragum
15-08-2010, 21:31
i am quite fond of ebay now. it can really save you a heap, you just have to learn where to put your limit of what you will buy. ive just not long bought a bunch of parts from maelstrom games on there and got myself a main part of a stegadon minue the head but loads of cra on it and im going to work my sculpting magic on it.

i feel if you want a deal you need to spend the time looking. ive barely bought anything from GW since like 2007... and i now have 2 new armies.

Nocculum
15-08-2010, 21:48

So, in fact, this advice boils down 'don't play Warhammer...' :shifty:

The simplest method of saving money is to purchase from retailers, such as giftsforgeeks, maelstrom games or the many discount sources online - money still gets to GW, you support local businessperson, and get product at reasonable prices.

A battalion/battle force for 40, after all, is a disgustingly good steal!

Ebay, too, as previously mentioned, is another good source, as is the Warseer trade/sale swap shop!

yabbadabba
15-08-2010, 21:51
So, in fact, this advice boils down 'don't play Warhammer...' :shifty: Not at all. Its good advice.

ichbala
15-08-2010, 22:01
Make leaders/elite troops out of normal plastic troops

Chiron
15-08-2010, 22:06
So, in fact, this advice boils down 'don't play Warhammer...' :shifty:

Yes because you must play Warhammer with the officially sanctioned GW models, assembled with the official glue and tools, painted with the official paints and by the official brushes.

SamVimes
15-08-2010, 22:40
Or they'll kick your ************ head in!

Urgat
15-08-2010, 22:45
I just got a bits order in the mail and it had me thinking: What do other folks that play Fantasy do to save money on the game? I was also wondering if anyone had any tips and/or tricks that could save a few other gamers their hard earned money. I wouldn't say this thread is about modeling or terrain so much as it is about saving money down the line.

Same as you, I'm ordering bits for conversion projects, but apart from that, I'm not doing anything specific, I'm lucky enough to be able to sustain myself with my job, while being quite light on daily money expenses, and having saved money basically since I was a kid and put my pocket money aside instead of bying sweats, CDs or bikes (yeah, I was probably a boring kid), so when I got the urge to buy something, even if it's expensive, it's so rare that I have no problem doing so. I'm actually bying a lot of bits just right now on ebay, nobz, blorcs and so on bitz to make a small unit of big'uns.

DDogwood
16-08-2010, 01:32
Yes because you must play Warhammer with the officially sanctioned GW models, assembled with the official glue and tools, painted with the official paints and by the official brushes.

It's true. One time I played a game using some D&D minis and a bunch of red shirts showed up at my house in the middle of our game, beat the tar out of us and broke all our minis.

Seriously, except for GW brand stores and official GW tourneys, there's no reason to use GW minis as long as you have something else that looks right.

Mantic produces some excellent and inexpensive minis that work perfectly for WFB. GW has to disallow them to support their own sales, but anyone else who refuses to let you use them isn't worth playing in the first place.

w3rm
16-08-2010, 01:42
Executioners can me made out of the spearmen box easily with a it of GS.