PDA

View Full Version : What 40K skirmish game would you make?

Chem-Dog
15-08-2010, 00:58
Way back in the mists of yesteryear GW released the truly fantastic Necromunda which was a blast, it followed the exploits of criminal gangs as they vied for power and glory in the dark unseen depths of Hive Primus (Necromunda's principal Hive) beyond rule of law
Necromunda used the 40K rules of the time (making it incredibly easy for existing players to pick up) but introduced a few tweaks such as flesh wounds, ammo rolls and the such.
Not too long after Necromunda was released came GorkaMorka, which followed Orks as they battled for fun, and the right to embark upon a spacecraft being slowly reconstructed after crashing on route to a Waaaagh.

Now these games were immensely fun as they allowed you to follow the fortunes of your gang as it fought through battles, sustained injuries and inevitably lost beloved members (quite often along with their beloved wargear) but they also contributed massively to the background of the two cultures, we were shown a society riven by cultural differences and where poverty and a hundrum life drove men and women to seek a life of danger and where aristocrats dispayed their total disregard for anyone not of high blood by hunting them for sport (with the Orks we were shown how much Orks like to fight....).
In addition to all this they also gave us some truly seminal miniatures which have served player and painter right up to this very day and will, I suspect) continue to do so for quite some time, Gorkamorka's influence can be seen in every Ork kit produced since then.

So all of this is a pre-amble to a very simple question.

If you were able to wave a magic wand what would your ideal Necromunda/Gorkamorka style 40K spin-off title be and who would be in it?

Example 1: Game Maidenworld (needs a better name). Main race:- Eldar, Exodites.
Rival Exodite Princes compete in ritual (but none the less fatal) combat to establish right to rule, for the King must be prepared and able to defend against interlopers.
Fluff would concentrate on how Exodites are different from Craftworld Eldar and the nature of Exodite Society, also exploring the different Clans found in Exodite society.
Miniatures would be Exodites (kinda stating the obvious here, I know). Many (if not all) on Lizardback.

Example 2: Game Daemonworld (again, a working title). Main Race:- Human Chaos Cultists.
Deep in the Eye of terror lies a Daemonworld that is constantly in flux, the Mortal followers of the gods strive to claim territory for their deity in the hope of gaining his favour and potentially gaining Daemonhood and Immortality. As well as cultists there'd be a huge variety of Chaotic creatures to enslave, bargain with or summon, warp power infused artifacts, mutations and Psychic powers galore.
Fluff wouldn't need all that much work to be honest it's K v N v T v S in a slaughterfest. It would, however, explore how Mortal Chaos Worshippers see their God and how their God sees (or generally doesn't see) them.
Miniatures would be a set of generic Cultists that could easily be painted to represent followers of any of the big 4 AND Chaos Undivided.

So give us your ideas :D

Gen.Steiner
15-08-2010, 01:14
There was, once, a weird web-based hybrid of 40K 3rd Edition and Path to Glory which saw player assembling warbands of cultists, mutants, and daemons around a central charismatic Chaos Space Marine to fight for glory and power on a Daemonworld in the Eye of Terror.

I had a very small Slaanesh warband which consisted of a fallen Minotaur, three human renegades in flowing silks with swords and shields, and a host of lesser daemons (using the Familiar models).

Although not much came of the campaign that my store was running on their Vets Night, the Minotaur became the first model of the Pantokrator's Fallen Men.

Anyway, to cut a long story short - Daemonworld would be ace. You could have randomly generated warbands to start with, varying depending on your patron power; you could have territories and all sorts of things!

Stormfather
15-08-2010, 01:29
I would play Demonworld in a heartbeat!

Another option would be, rather than aligned by chaos god, to be aligned by the legion from which a 'hero' style CSM derives, allowing for a wider variety of armylists- with plenty of overlap, but a lot of room for individuality.

Gutted
15-08-2010, 01:42
HeroHammer 40k an all faction skirmish game that lets you take a squad (maybe 2), a hero and level them up (acquiring wargear and skills). The emphasis would be on the heros and their various synergies. Think Dawn of War 2 crossed with 2nd Ed/Warmachine.

Warband. Players take control over small Chaos Space Marine Warbands and fight each other in the Eye of Chaos. They must deal with equipment failure, limited supplies, daemons (friendly and hostile), mutation and environmental hazards.

Kroot: Eat them, grow strong!

Kirill
15-08-2010, 01:49
Snip
Kroot: Eat them, grow strong!

Hungry hungry Kroot.

Oh god what have i done?!

destroyerlord
15-08-2010, 02:06
Daemonworld and chaos warbands sound excellent. I would be all over an Iron Warriors warband. :chrome:

Magos Errant
15-08-2010, 02:13
Aye, Daemonworld sounds like the coolest, but Maidenworld does seem interesting enough.

Easy E
15-08-2010, 02:14
I have some rules for Path to Glory 40K knocking around that were very much like your Daemonworld game. I would get into that. I also had a similar game called Path to Waaaagh! I think you know who the main protagonists were.

After reading Relentless, I thought it would be cool to have a Necro style skirmish game between rival work crews deep in the bowels of an Imperial warship. I guess it could be called Relentless to tie in with the book.

Honestly, I love 40K skirmish games, whethe rit is Necromunda, Gorkamorka, or Inquisitor. What ever came out next, I would probably play it.

Logarithm Udgaur
15-08-2010, 03:56
Rogue Trader- Pretty well exactly as it sounds. Much like the game of yore, but with an experience system thrown in. Players would captain a Rogue Trader vessel, lead a motley crew (including humans, the odd Space Marine, and Xenos), collect income by exploring words and looting them of all precious resources, collect ancient tech, and generally make a mess of the universe. All while trying to avoid the long arm of the Imperium (or whomever else laid claim to the space).

Justicar_Freezer
15-08-2010, 06:59
Hmm a quick idea I came up with while reading this thread.

Name: (No idea what a good name for it would be so I'll go with Thin Blue Line cause I like Arbites.)

Idea behind it: Take a game much like necromunda but instead of main factions being different gangs and odd spin offs. Make it into factions like the Adeptus Arbites, The PDF, Genestealer cults, Chaos Cults, Mutants and Dregs, Inquisition, Eldar Corsairs. Give each of the factions a nicely fleshed out list with some nifty special faction rules and faction specific wargear.

Throw in a nice experience system. A way to randomly generate terrian for those who like that sort of thing. A campaign system with a way to earn credits/favor/genetic material/whatever for each of the factions.

The setting really could be anywhere with that grouping of factions. Maybe a Frontier world, a space ship/station, a hive, a deathworld.

This would also give GW the chance to flesh out the cooler elements of the fluff such as Genestealer cults and the Arbites which normally wouldn't be enough to warrant an army of their own. Heck while working in the realm of what-ifs could even have some Squats and Zoats running about for those RT/2nd edition vets. (The last part was a bit of a jest but the idea seems at least to me like it'd be a pretty cool game.)

MajorWesJanson
15-08-2010, 07:25
I'd go large scale skirmish. Bring back epic scale titans. Say a box with 2 warlords, 2 reavers, 4 war hounds, all in plastic in the FW Mars style. Then for the other side, have 6 stompas, 6 gargants, and a great gargant. again, all in plastic. Add a bunch of terrain in epic scale, and some nice advanced rules for titans regarding movement, sensors, and damage. Ways to spoof enemy senses, decoy movement, damage reducing a titan's abilities, coordinated attacks, combining fire, using terrain for advantage. Keep it in epic scale, so the models would be forwards and backards compatable with Epic.

If the starter did well, they could make faction packs.
Imperial:
Emperor Titan
2 Warlords
4 Reavers
6 Warhounds
Imperial terrain
Chaos:
Same as Imperial titans, but chaotic
Ruined Imperial terrain
Orks:
Mega Gargant
2 Great Gargants
8 Gargants
10 Stompas
Ork Terrain
Eldar:
Heavy titan
2 Warlocks
4 Phantoms
6 Revenants
Eldar terrain
Nids:
Dominatrix
2 Hydraphants
6 Heriophants
10 Heriodules
Nid Terrain

Gen.Steiner
15-08-2010, 07:50
Easy E, I think that you might have the same set of rules that I was on about. Would you mind PMing them to me?

IAMNOTHERE
15-08-2010, 07:54
I'd ge with MajorWes, Titans!!!

Charistoph
15-08-2010, 08:07
Daemonworld = Awesome.

Other options would be Scouts - just a small team of Scout capable unit from a Codex, but expanded to Kill Team/Necromunda.

Boarding Party - Similar to Space Hulk, but designed for more... fragile parties involved.

Ordos Xenos Kill Team. Space Marine squad lead by an Inquisitor against a whole host of munchy bad guys.

Gen.Steiner
15-08-2010, 08:12
Easy E - found the set you were on about; I see it's a homegrown one from your brain. So not the one I thought, which was downloaded from the GW website! :eek:

I think I'll have a bash at writing my own, and then inflict it on the next wargames club I join. Bwahahaha.

Col. Tartleton
15-08-2010, 08:34
Adeptus Astarte

Kill Team type play with highly customizable marines with a billion options.

Why?

Because everyone has a few marines lying around. Plus in a story driven skirmish setting you can play them like marines. 5 dudes cutting their way through hundreds of defenders in search of their man, the enemy commander or duking it out with other marines for any reason you can imagine, or a couple of deathwatch shoving demo charges into places where demo charges don't belong.

Or a Marine Sergeant working alongside Ordo Hereticus trying to figure out whether to shoot the enemy or those lecherous little skirts in armor. :angel:

xerxeshavelock
15-08-2010, 11:24
Eastern Rim Adventures - a great excuse to come up with some wierd aliens with all sorts of different technologies. Could chuck Orks in and see how they'd look having looted non-Imperial gear. If a race proved popular they could incorporate them into the next Tau book. And when the warband got too strong you could have a dust-off against the Ultramarines (or one of their spinoffs).

Obake123
15-08-2010, 11:38
I was a massive fan of Kill team back during 4th edition. The small scale of the action really made you care about each and every guy in your squad.

I keep hoping that GW will dust off the rules and release a Kill Team codex. Two pages of options for each race in the game, special characters, special weapons and an experience points system to let your team grow and evolve.

I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

LonelyPath
15-08-2010, 12:48
If you have the 2nd edition rules and that other book containing all the creature/unit type rules for 40k and Necromunda you can adapt them to include any race, myself and my gaming group years ago and it was great fun to run campaigns with different races. It didn't take that long to do either.

Heck, until about 4 years ago, myself and another group were still using the Realm of Chaos books to run warband campaigns :)

If you have the original games, there's no real need for another and if you want to run Titan Skirmishes, find Apeptus Titanicus and the WD rules they produced.

Gen.Steiner
15-08-2010, 13:56
I have to agree - 2nd Edition is the best rules set for 40K skirmish, although for RPG style games then probably Rogue Trader's your best bet.

Eastern Fringe madness would also be brilliant! :D

Easy E
15-08-2010, 21:05
I have to agree - 2nd Edition is the best rules set for 40K skirmish, although for RPG style games then probably Rogue Trader's your best bet.

Eastern Fringe madness would also be brilliant! :D

I added the official Path to Glory from GW. Later they made all faction expansions, but I'm not sure I have those.

I also added my own crude attemtps at Path to Glory 40K and Path to Waaagh! Keep in mind, these were using the previous codex rules, including the Eye of Terror codex. No great shakes.

ArtificerArmour
15-08-2010, 21:24
Do you have the second part of the path to glory pdf?

yabbadabba
15-08-2010, 21:29
This is very interesting because I liked the warband rules from Realms of Chaos, Necromunda, Gorka-Morka, Inquisitor etc but it all depends on the angle taken I suppose.
Kill Team would be easy to do now, but I would just look at a set of house rules just to do simple skirmish games.

Otherwise, I think I would go for a Necro/Gorka-Morka hybrid ruleset and then stick to the ethos of 40K SGs (which was to introduce a small slice of the 40K universe) by having small "campaign" booklets rpg style. Introduce a new race and its campaign structure, a new environment and one other new thing. You could have as many of these as their are 40K army books before you start on the "lost" army variants.

DeeKay
15-08-2010, 21:56
If I were to develop a new skirmish game set in the 40k universe, I think I would try my hand at a pre-Unity skirmish-level to maybe platoon sized game. With the expansion of ideas from the HH books, such as the despotic rulers such as Narthan Dume and Kalagann, to ideas such as the Thunder Warriors I think such an idea could be pretty good if done properly.

Daemonworld- love the idea, and I also liked the book by the same name by Ben Counter. I would probably use a combination of 1st Ed and 2nd Ed 40k for things such as equipment and statlines, and use the LotR turn sequence to provide immersive gameplay. If I could, I'd just keep playing until I have yet another Chaos army in warbands.

With regards,
Dan.

UberBeast
16-08-2010, 01:44
Eye of Terror, where rival warbands compete for the attention of the chaos gods!

Gen.Steiner
16-08-2010, 01:57
Eye of Terror is a much better name than Daemonworld! Right, who's off to the rules development forum? I know I am shortly... :D

Easy E
16-08-2010, 02:07
I will see you there. Just post a linky here so others can join us.

Chem-Dog
16-08-2010, 03:42
Eye of Terror is a much better name than Daemonworld! Right, who's off to the rules development forum? I know I am shortly... :D

I will see you there. Just post a linky here so others can join us.

*cough* (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4913746#post4913746)

Chars for tha Char god....

wazatdingder
16-08-2010, 04:19
Necromunda is STILL one of the greatest games that GW has ever made and it is a shame it does not get support. While I am currently downsizing all things GW for more satisfying gaming experiences, I will never sell off my 200+ Necromunda models. The system could easily be expanded to meet the needs of any 40k player and most races have had gangs in the Gang Wars magazine.

FANATIC PRESS WILL RISE AGAIN!!

Hellebore
16-08-2010, 06:11
I'd probably do a war skirmish with squads made up of different models from different army ranges.

Rather than acruing money they get Renown through victories on the battlefield to allow them to requisition new resources.

Sort of like Kill Team meets Necromunda.

hellebore

Gen.Steiner
16-08-2010, 07:32
*cough* (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4913746#post4913746)

Chars for tha Char god....

Woo! :D I still think Eye of Terror is a better name than Daemonworld, but hey - it's your baby! ;)

RunepriestRidcully
16-08-2010, 07:36
Daemonworld, or Eye of terror, the idea of taking an aspiring sorcerer, 1-2 rubrics, and a gang of beastmen with lasguns and the odd horror and going against other chaos warbands is one I quite like.

Carlos
16-08-2010, 09:59
NB: This was a game a friend and I created back in the 90s.

Name: Plunderers

Jist: Warhammer Quest in space. Infiltrate old space hulks as a small team, liberate old technology and artifacts, kill aliens, escape.

Idea: We used the exact format of WHQ but changed the setting to 40K and used cut-up Space Crusade and Space Hulk boards as bard sections and tabled everything instead of making loads of cards. Players choose the role of one of a 4-strong team of mercenaries/pirates: Human (We used a necromunda escher) Eldar Outcast (One of the old eldar scouts) Rogue Psyker (Necromunda Wyrd) Alien (we made up our own race but Kroot would be used in modern times) and fight it out vs myriad alien species including necrons, genestealers, chaos things, orks and grots.
We had a huge events table with everything from auto-defences, oxygen leaks and alien teleportations to an imperial battleship destroying sections of the board and even created a system of interstellar travel where you could go to various classes of planets to sell your wares. Just be careful your ship doesnt encounter an alien warfleet or a black hole.

Wishing
16-08-2010, 10:10
Once upon a time there was a website with a Dark Eldar based Necromunda variant called Tales of the Dark City, where you could play warrior gangs (like Necromunda's house gangs) or something more exotic like wytch cults and homonculus covens.

That game had a really cool atmosphere, and I would play that in a heartbeat.

I like the Maiden World concept in the OP too - I could totally see an intricate feudal eldar society being explored through a ruleset like that.

Keroro
16-08-2010, 12:05
Daemonworld / Eye of terror sounds very promising - I'll be following that thread with interest.

An enlarging of the Necromunda ruleset would be great - it was an evocative game with a substantial amount of higher quality fluff that deserves a little more exploring. As many others have said on this thread, a higher level of support would be very appreciated. Largely inspired by the Necromunda ruleset I formed a marine chapter that recruited from a Hive world called the Spyrers - it would be fun to experiment with a couple of marines recruiting or training within the hive against all the traditional gangs. Other races would also be fairly easy to bring in too, especially Genestealer Cults which haven't had great attention paid to them since the Tyranids got their full list (2nd edition I think).

Rogue Traders, for me, are the most interesting parts of the WH40k galaxy that I don't think has been fully explored. Rogue Traders on the Eastern Fringe would make for an awesome video game in fact, though a tabletop one would be likewise good. One of the benefits is that most of the units Rogue Traders would use already exist, so most people would have some units that could be used in a skirmish. Rediscovery of lost human systems and settlements bring all sorts of possibilities to the table, many of the worlds would have archeotech deposits and new worlds could obviously have anything on them.

I agree with the OP that these smaller scale skirmish games bring a lot of character to the races involved, and I'd love to see more of them.

Gen.Steiner
16-08-2010, 12:22
There's definitely room for a Necromunda: Fringe Systems sort of campaign, that'd be ace.

Why not have a bash at writing some stuff for it? All it really requires is some variant territories, the odd new statline, and a bit of imagination! :D

nedius
16-08-2010, 13:14
If I were to do a skirmish game, I'd have two ideas:

1) More of a game than a skirmish game, but I'd go with 'Assassins' (guess what I just finished reading...). Each player gets one assassin, and one or more players play the 'target'. The assassins have a single miniature, the target has a target and bodyguard. The target player must protect his 'target', and the assassins must tryt to kill them.

2) 40k Advanced - A MUCH more technical version of 40k, beyond, perhaps, even what you get in necromunda. Players use very small units, maybe less than 200pts worth of 40k points.

I remember back when they did Advanced Hero Quest and Advanced Space Crusade (later rebranded Tyranid Attack), and guess I'd quite like that for 40k.

Icapica
16-08-2010, 15:09
I would love a game about battles between small groups of titans, like MajorWes suggested. It could all be sold in a single box, like Space Hulk was, and it would also help support Epic a little bit.

It's interesting that a thread with this topic came, since I'm actually at the moment creating a 40K skirmish game with a friend of mine (well, he's done a lot more than I). We were thinking that we'd like to play some skirmish but none of systems we know of seemed good enough for us. Currently the rules are almost finished and we've made all Imperial Guard and Marine units and equipment, next will be Ork. Eldar or CSM will probably follow after that. We realize that there's way too many variables for us to ever make it very balanced, but we don't care as we don't play it competitively anyway. We just want to have a good time.
The game is way more detailed than 40K with hit points, variable damage, unit activation and more meaningful morale, but not quite as detailed as Inquisitor. We're hoping to get the game in the condition to show it to some other people within a month or two.

Comp
16-08-2010, 17:06
Example 1: Game Maidenworld (needs a better name). Main race:- Eldar, Exodites.
Rival Exodite Princes compete in ritual (but none the less fatal) combat to establish right to rule, for the King must be prepared and able to defend against interlopers.
Fluff would concentrate on how Exodites are different from Craftworld Eldar and the nature of Exodite Society, also exploring the different Clans found in Exodite society.
Miniatures would be Exodites (kinda stating the obvious here, I know). Many (if not all) on Lizardback.

That is such an awesome idea! I mean, the Daemonworld thing is obviously going to be fun and i've spent some time idly thinking about Eastern Fringe type games, but Maidenworld never occured to me...

It would be completely different to any of the other skirmish games, completely different atmosphere. Instead of a toxic sump you'd have a vast wilderness with weird mountain ridges and trees - the board alone would be beautiful (and easy to make with aquarium terrain!). The models would be pretty original (I think i'd make mine out of storm guardians and wood elves, not sure yet...), the use of ritual in creating the scenarios could result in something different (maybe plain's indian scalping culture could be an inspiration?), and you could have all sorts of fun with jousting subgames...

and, if you wanted, you could bring in the Knight Worlds as rivals, and maybe Explorators and Treasure Hunters as "Outlanders" type gangs. The ultimate, insane, 150 to build the terrain scenario would be a small team of dedicated exodites assaulting a Knight Titan drydock, storming the scaffolding to place haywire grenades and meltabombs at specific points in a completely vertical scenario...

Earthbeard
16-08-2010, 17:15
I'd probably do a war skirmish with squads made up of different models from different army ranges.

Rather than acruing money they get Renown through victories on the battlefield to allow them to requisition new resources.

Sort of like Kill Team meets Necromunda.

hellebore

That's my take too, allows for all players collections then, as we all know gamers always like to be the "strangers in a strange ladn syndrome".

It does make it diluted much like the GW global campaigns.

Gen.Steiner
16-08-2010, 17:20
I have an idea...

Let's create a series of add-ons for Necromunda! :D

We're already doing Daemonworld. Someone needs to do Maidenworld and someone else can do Fringeworld.

It could be called the Necromunda World Series!

EDIT: As 'Munda' is pig-latin for 'world' (e.g. Mappa Mundi - map of the world), why not rename them:

Daemonmunda
Maidenmunda
Fringemunda

Eh? Eh?

yabbadabba
16-08-2010, 17:28
If you are going to do that, the path from recruit through scout to full Marine would be ideal.

Gen.Steiner
16-08-2010, 17:41
Oooh! Now is that a skirmish game or something like Warhammer Quest? Cunning.

Chem-Dog
16-08-2010, 18:10
and, if you wanted, you could bring in the Knight Worlds as rivals, and maybe Explorators and Treasure Hunters as "Outlanders" type gangs. The ultimate, insane, 150 to build the terrain scenario would be a small team of dedicated exodites assaulting a Knight Titan drydock, storming the scaffolding to place haywire grenades and meltabombs at specific points in a completely vertical scenario...

Or...Example 3: Game Forgeworld. Main Race:- Adeptus Mechanicus.
A secluded Forgeworld is in the grip of a generation spanning civil war. Aspiring Magi from across the Imperium come to make their name, support their cause or simply just to plunder the vast resources that lay open for the taking.
Fluff solidifies the Adeptus Mechanicus as an entity and explores the differences between different sects within the Cult of the Machine (which would provide the essential differences for the starting "gangs") as well as expanding on their mission within the 40K universe.
Models, would obviously include lots of robed and bionic dudes with more than a fair smattering of servitor types.

:chrome::chrome::chrome::chrome:

Well, I know what I'll be doing with my spare time for the next year.....:rolleyes: I really should learn to shut up. :cries:

Gen.Steiner
16-08-2010, 18:11
Daemonworld, Maidenworld, Fringeworld and Forgeworld - I like it! We should rename Necromunda Hiveworld...

Comp
16-08-2010, 18:22
Or...Example 3: Game Forgeworld. Main Race:- Adeptus Mechanicus.
A secluded Forgeworld is in the grip of a generation spanning civil war. Aspiring Magi from across the Imperium come to make their name, support their cause or simply just to plunder the vast resources that lay open for the taking.
Fluff solidifies the Adeptus Mechanicus as an entity and explores the differences between different sects within the Cult of the Machine (which would provide the essential differences for the starting "gangs") as well as expanding on their mission within the 40K universe.
Models, would obviously include lots of robed and bionic dudes with more than a fair smattering of servitor types.

Well, I know what I'll be doing with my spare time for the next year.....:rolleyes: I really should learn to shut up. :cries:

Yeah - maybe it would actually work a little like Daemonworld, with a Magos seeking to advance up the ladder, using an entourage of Skirtarii, scholars and conscripted Labour-Helots (with a few Ogryns in support) in an exploration based game looking for STC fragments, and he could convert experience into ever more bizarre combi weapons, and and and and and...

damnit! I only joined this forum to use the search function to find genestealer cult armies in the project logs, and now i'm getting drawn right in :p

Gen.Steiner
16-08-2010, 18:31
damnit! I only joined this forum to use the search function to find genestealer cult armies in the project logs, and now i'm getting drawn right in :p

BWAHAHAHAHAAAA...

One of us...! One of us...!

Comp
16-08-2010, 19:26
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271858

I hope nobody minds, I went ahead and set up a Maidenworld thread...

Charistoph
16-08-2010, 20:41
What about a gladitorial arena? Different species are captured and brought to fight.

Kits would be made to emphasize a huge bonus to one fighting style, but leave great holes to other styles.

Games would range from 1v1 to a varied sqad kisses a Carnifex.

Wishing
16-08-2010, 23:03
I like the -world suffix series of Necromunda variants idea a lot! I guess this is what GW had in mind when they wrote GorkaMorka after the success of NM - the introduction to that game stated that it was only the second in a planned series of games using the Necromunda game engine to explore different races and aspects of the 40k universe. Shame that GM did so badly (or so I presume) and hence that the planned series ended up stopping there.

Gen.Steiner
17-08-2010, 03:01

I'll join you there ASAP. :)

Chem-Dog
17-08-2010, 03:15
I like the -world suffix series of Necromunda variants idea a lot! I guess this is what GW had in mind when they wrote GorkaMorka after the success of NM - the introduction to that game stated that it was only the second in a planned series of games using the Necromunda game engine to explore different races and aspects of the 40k universe. Shame that GM did so badly (or so I presume) and hence that the planned series ended up stopping there.

This was what I was trying to get at with my original post, that the relatively simple format has greatly enriched the two facets of the 40K universe that it's shone it's light upon. I think GW underwent a radical structural change quite soon after Gorka hit the shelves (shoving everything but 40K and WHFB into the Fanatic/specialist games bracket) and so the trend never got carried on, which was a shame. Had they gone on to explore any of those other facets (like the ones I've mentioned) we could have the choice of several different armies, and the three examples I've posted are some of those armies we'd love to see hit 40K proper.
If we wish hard enough....:rolleyes:

Gen.Steiner
17-08-2010, 03:55
I think the best thing to do is to make them ourselves. That way we can do as many 'Worlds as we like! :D

Pushkin
17-08-2010, 09:32
I like the idea of different series, but surely couldn't they just have one core rulebook and then different campaign books which throw in different features.

So book 1 is Core Rules and Necroumunda Setting
Book 2 is slightly smaller and just contains add on rules, new setting and new characters e.g. Maidenworld
Book 3 changes is up again e.g. Gorkamorka/Eye of Terror etc.

This way you could use one core game mechanic with slight adaptations in each book. The advantages of this is that you could play one campaign of Necromunda and when you get to the point where one of your friends gangs are all max stats with no wounds, and boltguns and your gangs mostly missing limbs and got 3 1/2 autoguns between them you can start afresh on a new world!

I think that the systems would have to be written so their not just clones of each other though, keep the core rules the same but add a new element (gorka morka the use of vehicles, different weapons, more general randomness).

Thinking about it a Maidenworld game could really mix things up and add all manner of different xenos changes :-D

Keroro
17-08-2010, 11:08
Expansions to Necromunda seem well under way. :) Excellent. I will watch with interest.

Something completely different:
Blood Bowl is one of the most enduring games the GW has made. It's been going for ever with periodic updates. What games are played in the 41st Millenia? Any ideas?

Dark Eldar jetbike relay races? I'd base in on the races that took place at the Hippodrome of Constantinople with Blue and Green factions. The great thing is that in Constantinople the support for one or the other faction split society and even the Emperor had his favorite team, this could be mirrored in the Dark Eldar, who have always appeared to me to be rather samey for a race that are meant to be given to infighting and feuding.

Ork Brawls, with a ball largely irrelevant? (Probably too similar to Blood Bowl to be worth it.)

Squig races?

I imagine that the Imperium would provide some kind of mass entertainment along the lines of Roman Gladiatorial combat. How could that be structured as a game?

Tau? They'd have some kind of contest. I'm thinking teams of Tau in suits (something like a battlesuit but without the heavy weapons) facing off over an arena, a sort of cross between basketball and speedball. The 'ball' would be a specialised drone programmed to make it hard to catch. The bloodshed would be relatively restrained by the wearing of the suits, because deaths will not help the Greater Good, but the Fire Caste need a way to hone their skills and a contest like this can only help. The Tau need something to bulk out their persona in a non-war setting, this could work nicely I think.

Necrons? Hyper violent test cricket? After all a dead race would play a dead game wouldn't they? :chrome: Maybe not.

Comp
17-08-2010, 12:16
Dark Eldar jetbike relay races? I'd base in on the races that took place at the Hippodrome of Constantinople with Blue and Green factions. The great thing is that in Constantinople the support for one or the other faction split society and even the Emperor had his favorite team, this could be mirrored in the Dark Eldar, who have always appeared to me to be rather samey for a race that are meant to be given to infighting and feuding.

I reckon Saim Hann Eldar might be more fun for Nikea riots style madness (god I love Byzantine history...), both in look but also because... well, as awesome as jetbike racing could be, imagine something close to an actual chariot race, with the riders on Vyper fighting platforms!

As for the Imperials, Dark Heresy has some stuff in it about the Cold Guild, smugglers of Xeno technology, staging underground pit fights between weird alien monsters. A game about that, or about the deathworld capture teams who acquire the monsters, could be great. If anything, imagine the project logs...

Easy E
17-08-2010, 14:32

I'm jumping in too. Everyone into the pool!

Edit: I started one for Ad-Mech here: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271984

I have some experience putting these kind of things together.

Mike_the_magi
18-08-2010, 17:23
I had an Idea which would be called.... Homeworld.

Basically, it takes place on the homeworld of the Tau, back in the days before they were unified and the different castes/tribes were at each others throat and in open war. The Tech levels would be low, around Gunpowder or something similiar. Fluff would focus on the early Tau civilisation

Logarithm Udgaur
19-08-2010, 07:45
That could be quite interesting. It would help immensely if they could shed the space anime image that they have acquired (rightly or not), and such an expansion could go a long way toward doing that.

Mike_the_magi
19-08-2010, 14:41
If it were done right of course... which I myself would try to do. Been giving it a little thought though

Utred
19-08-2010, 21:16
I have to say I a huge fan of skirmish games... and yes I thought Necromunda rocked.

I did once play a very simplified version of this with a group of friends. We used the first edition Necromunda rules as the base of the game. From there we used the original "Slaves to Darkness" and "Realms of Chaos" as our part of our upgrade path. I *think* if we rolled a 12 on the necromunda advance table, we then took the Chaos advances. You could easily use the path to glory upgrade tables for this. Just assign ratings points to mutations / rewards.

First campaign I played as a 10 man imperial guard squad that had fallen to Nurgle. One of my favourite conversions was a tanith running legs, a wraith body with the hood down showing the skull and the scythe replaced with a shotgun. From there we went on and did it every Uni holiday with a different "gang". Gorkamorka saw my IG rough riders fighting Orks in trucks and Eldar Exodites converted from Wood Elves. There were Squat and Genestealer gangs which we adapted from the Necro magazines.

One of the last games we played was very far off GW territory and would have been around the time Inquistor came out. One guy went an Inquisitor, another a swarm with Space Skaven; and I went Khornite Marines. At this point we were converting everything. I created all my marines from Beastmen with spare Choas marine Chests and weapons. Favourite conversion here was Kharn the betrayer with beastmen legs and head. Thing was with Marines, we made it so that they were proper Marines. WS and BS of 5... but I only had 3 of them because of the points cost. Trying to wade through 20 Skaven using scavvy rules with those beast marines with chain axes was truely insane.

I really do think GW are missing a major trick with this. It's a really great way as an established gamer to start collecting a new army that's very very personalised that you can start playing straight away. The Exodite Eldar converted from wood elves my friend did is now a 6000 point 40k force.

So what would I like to see as a skirmish game? Exactly that. Every 40k army with a skirmish list.

Wishing
19-08-2010, 21:28
I like the idea of different series, but surely couldn't they just have one core rulebook and then different campaign books which throw in different features.

So book 1 is Core Rules and Necroumunda Setting
Book 2 is slightly smaller and just contains add on rules, new setting and new characters e.g. Maidenworld
Book 3 changes is up again e.g. Gorkamorka/Eye of Terror etc.

This way you could use one core game mechanic with slight adaptations in each book.

Maybe I'm hallucinating again, but I have a feeling that they actually did this kinda once - after they reprinted Necromunda as a hardcover, they at some point wrote an article about how to play Gorkamorka with the Necro rules, since Gorka was long dead at that point and was not getting any books reprinted.

However, it is possible that I'm just thinking of the Ash Wastes Necro expansion, which was essentially Gorka just with humans instead of orks.

Flamekebab
20-08-2010, 04:05
There is an article in Gubbinz called GorkaMunda (pg. 43) but I don't recall reading anything official for the other way around.

Utred
20-08-2010, 11:38
Personally I don't remember any gorka / necro rules published but I was drifting away from GW about 4th edition.

From memory we pretty much just played the published rules. I have a vague memory we used the gorkamorka sustained fire rules as they were better? I know basic weapons rapid fire is a new 40k concept (necromunda is kinda 1st / 2nd ed 40k rules), but I'd seriously think about using this from a move or fire tactical perspective.

Definitely worth looking at the ash waste rules for vehicles. They are not part of the living rule book, but there's a variety of gangs, which were quite adaptable to other races. For example, I know the fluff around spryers, but the rules actually can be modified quite well and effectively to produce an Eldar aspect warrior "gang" / "kill team".

That's essentially how we made our squads, we took existing rules for a gang and then built the squad / kill team around it and it's upgrades. eg Esher rules are great for Eldar guardians. Big thing to decide is how a gang gets it's income. Would it take and hold up to 6 territories, or act as outlaws and just have a home base? Rather than being outlaws or not, I think this needs to be decided on race / army from the fluff.

Only thing I would say we encountered was when trying to play necromunda with vehicles, was the mixed terrain. Personally I like loads of terrain, but vehicles get messed up by infantry in the rafters. Our house rule for this became an expansion of the territory rules, where every battle had to happen at one of these locations. As such we had "plains" with no terrain, and "ancient ruined city" with every piece of terrain we owned.

I've emailed one of my old friends about this thread and I'll see if he's got any of the old rules we used. If nothing else I wanna play =)