PDA

View Full Version : An idea for Dogs of War

ftayl5
15-08-2010, 02:35
So Dogs of War have always been a challenging army to use. 8th edition didn't really help, especially with the slap in the face that was 'Ignore all references to Dogs of War' in the Errata's.

But I was contemplating how to build a DoW army, taking into account how practically useless Pikemen are and how good some of the cavalry choices are and hence:

A cavalry DoW army.

Firstly, all of the DoW characters can be mounted so no problem there. DoW Heavy Cavalry were looking good when it was rumoured that barding would prevent marching, as they can choose not to take it, though that rumour turned out to be false, Heavy Cavalry are still just about the cheapest heavy cavalry in the game, and a core choice.

Light Cavalry are equally cheap for what they can do. 15pts/model for a harrying unit of fast cavalry or spear and perhaps a shield for a very cheap, but less durable/heavy hitting than Heavy Cavalry.

Choices such as Volands Venators, with a 3 attack champion and the desert dogs for their many benefits also helped the idea.

The only special choices I could take would be Ogres, which are pretty fast anyway, and Olag Khans wolf Boyz, which could work well on mass.

For rare, I could take some galloper guns, asarnil, and or tichi huichis raiders, which are pretty good, with 17 attacks from just a small unit.

So what do people think of a Cavalry Dow Army?

Proctorkorps
15-08-2010, 04:12
I don't understand this whole fuss about Dogs of War. i have never seen one in my entire life.

is it just an army old vets use when they get bored of all the other armies?

don't get me wrong, some of the models are fantastic, i really like Voland's Venators and those crossbowmen (the Besiegers, i think?) and they should be part of the collector's range at least. but, again, i've never seen a single Dogs of War unit up close, much less army

Duke_Corwin
15-08-2010, 04:19
I have played 2 games against dogs of war and they can still put up a good fight. Pikemen are pretty strong in a sizable block. Having to fight them along with the paymaster's bodyguard and marauders with flails is pretty tough. They also have decent cavalry support. Some good war machines (they can get regular cannons) and the hot pots act as rock lobbers. They get some decent shooting units too.

Also they have more magic items to select from now and their wizards got a boost from the new lores. They can still be an interesting and fun army for non tournament games.

Cain-asmodeus
15-08-2010, 06:03
When it comes to new ideas for Dogs Of War, The best way to sum them all up, is to give them their own army book. either in a white dwarf or hopefully a full fledge codex

However we first have to establish a layout for the army. Mercenaries And Regiments of Reknown should be somewhat balanced out, to keep balance and fair game play. I had a list of Dow from 6 maybe 7 years ago, but i was hoping if anyone has a new up to date list?

To market and to keep unique models in Dog of War, I would expand on unit entries, not just Ror, I would add few suggestions below

Djinns, lord class creature capable of casting wind magic, and granting certain wishes to your army, (boosting stats) equilvalent to Vampire Lord, as Djinns are also close combat fighters. (remember wishmaster) most likely regeneration and possible ward save

Halflings should be core choice :)

Halfing heroes would be interesting idea (no rings...)

Halfing Chefs, unit of halfings with meat cleavers, possible bodyguard troops for halfing hot pots?

Cathay Ninjas, a unit of assassins straight from Cathay for the most wealthiest of generals, (imagine Ninja Assassin movie) most powerful unit entry as i would give them killing blow, and ward saves, possible regeneration
and ranged attacks of 18"

Samurai, Wandering heroes willing to serve for money from Cathay, powerful unit entry with access to unique swords,

Dragon monks from Ind, a unit of unarmed martial artists using ki force to destroy enemy armor with but a touch, honed to defeat enemies using their prowess against themselves. willing to fight and protect others for the simple purpose of helping them eat and drink. no money is needed. unit also capable of altering the elements around them. making their fists ebb with electricity (big trouble in little china, with kurt russel)

Dragon Master, Lord class monk martial artist, capable of slaying monsters and fighting lords without receiving a scratch. (kill bill 2) can disarm the worst of enemies coming at him/her and using it against them. through sheer will power, capable of shifting the elements, even throwing bolts of lightning at enemies, icicles or even fireballs. (wizard)

Araby knights, a unit of fast calvary from RoR but able to feild them as a standard Special choice

Amazons, I would enjoy having this entry in Dow, I have yet to see them in any other army but Mordheim game, I beleive they could be listed in Dow as a special class, possibly replacing or side by side of marauders. they most likely have poisoned attacks and possible hero and lord applications. An amazon princess and Queen. (Xena)

if i could remember a few more provinces in Warhammer Fantasy, i would enjoy adding more thoughts.

SamVimes
15-08-2010, 06:09
I don't understand this whole fuss about Dogs of War. i have never seen one in my entire life.

is it just an army old vets use when they get bored of all the other armies?

don't get me wrong, some of the models are fantastic, i really like Voland's Venators and those crossbowmen (the Besiegers, i think?) and they should be part of the collector's range at least. but, again, i've never seen a single Dogs of War unit up close, much less army

And I've only seen one Ogre Kingdoms and one Tomb Kings army ever, so what's the big deal about them too?:rolleyes:

Don't mistake your playing environment with the overall gaming landscape. There are a fair number of devoted Dogs of War players out there, and it'd be total BS to squat their army when nothing needs to be updated about their list in order for them to be played this edition.

Edit: As to the OP, I think an all cav army is certainly do-able, especially since the med/heavy cavalry is pretty darn cheap so you can get a rather fearsome block of them.