PDA

View Full Version : Starting a New Army: Bretonnians Vs Empire

Hattori Hanzo
15-08-2010, 08:04
I am starting a new army for 8th and it's between Empire and Bretonnians. My main concern with Brets is their lack if options. I'm wondering if any Bret player finds this a problem? Also any ideas or opinions are welcome

Blackknight1239
15-08-2010, 09:02
I do not, to be honest. I play Bretonnians because I love the flavor and the set up of the army. I don't mind having a lack of choices, when I really enjoy the choices I have. Plus, I think everything is usable in 8th ed., what with steadfast making Man-at-Arms awesome. Mind you, I can see the need for a second army. Honestly, I have very little to buy for my Bretonnians anymore. Just shoring up numbers. It's making me consider a 2nd army, to be honest. But, either way you go, I think both are great armies.

Spiney Norman
15-08-2010, 10:07
Well my initial reaction is Empire, because I love the army and they've benefitted massively from the 8th Ed changes. On the other hand Brets are a great army too. It all depends on what kind of army you're after, also what army(s) have you played previously?

cybercaine
15-08-2010, 10:09
I think what I like the most about Empire is that you can do almost anything with it. Want a bunch of cheap troops? Try Swordsmen or Spearmen. Want some harder hitting troops, try some greatswords. Want some Cavalry? How about some crazy and powerful mages? How about guns? Or canons and other war machines? But, I have to admit, I do like how great a bunch of bret knights look when their painted in all their disparate pageantry. . . so I don't think you can go wrong with either in truth.

Chaos Undecided
15-08-2010, 10:11
I guess you have to decide how much you like mounted Knights after all with Bretonnians the rest of the army is there to support their Knight units whilst with Empire is pretty much the other way around though it is possible to do an army of Templars with the Empire list its never seemed a very good idea to me.

Oglog
15-08-2010, 12:07
Both brilliant armies model wise. (Empire is more expensive). Rules wise, although Bretonnians, for their age, are not spectacularily bad (wood elves anyone?), Empire have a more recent book with many more unit choices. I'm going to do both (Bretonnians first though, becuase the models for me are just a league ahead of the empire :) )

scarletsquig
15-08-2010, 12:59
Starting right now, I'd go for bretonnians.

Their model range is more consistently good-looking than the Empire one, which has some awesome models, but the poor-looking ones like the state troops are the ones you need to buy a lot of.

Knights still get their lance formation, 3 models to a rank.
Questing Knights got back their +2 strength.
Trebuchets got even more awesome this edition, too.

Gatsby
15-08-2010, 13:06
Bretonnians.... i haven't seen one in awhile.... if GW ever makes my Vamps 2nd Wave with plastic Black knights that look as good as the Grave Guard, i may start playing Bret's using them.

Lordsaradain
15-08-2010, 13:19
I'd say Empire. They have a great plastic model range, and they are fun and easy to paint(as opposed to bretonnians).

Leatus
15-08-2010, 14:43
Bretonnians, their fluff is cooler. They also get Heroic killing blow, imagine your lord decapitating a dragon in 1 blow. They get super charged calvary, depends if you like a bit more of an elite army, or a more model heavy army.

BorderKing
15-08-2010, 14:53
What I'm going to do when I get the next instalment of my student loan, is to create a counts as Skaven army. I like the rules of the Skaven and the nonsensical-random-ability of the army but don't like rats. You are allowed to think outside of the box.

If you are going to do a Empire or Bretonnian army I would say go Empire as 8th favours artillery/shooting and hordes, and Empire can do these well. However, if you prefer Bretonnians go with them because rules will always change.

Gatsby
15-08-2010, 15:07
Bretonnians, their fluff is cooler. They also get Heroic killing blow, imagine your lord decapitating a dragon in 1 blow. They get super charged calvary, depends if you like a bit more of an elite army, or a more model heavy army.

steam tanks can be dealt heroic killing blow too...