PDA

View Full Version : New Pink Horrors

DeviantApostle
15-08-2010, 12:54
I couldn't find the other thread, so here's a new one. I just got the new Pink Horrors and started to assemble them. Funnily enough, i have some good things to say before I rant.

The good part is that they're not actually bad looking. In fact, they're quite good. They could use more detail in places and the Daemonettes are way better but I like the look of them. The photos and the paint job in WD don't do them justice (you can see how they've been painted to make it look like there's more detail on the limbs than there actually is). The really good news is that you can minimize the feathers and beaks.

Now, the bad.

Why is the only shooty Lesser Daemon in a running pose? Particularly when so many of the Daemonettes and Bloodletters are static? I have to ask this because every single Pink Horror body is running with one foot off the ground, giving you only one point of contact on the base with the whole weight of the body leaning forward.

What's the problem with that, you may well ask, and that's a good question. The problem is the foot is so thin and fragile that it can't be pinned. Any weight on that ankle whatsoever is going to snap the model like a twig, pinning will just make it more fragile paradoxically. Heck, I'm not confident that the model's own weight won't eventually bend the ankle if I leave them upright for long periods.

LonelyPath
15-08-2010, 14:11
Try using something like Filla-Glu to glue them to the base, it's industrial strength super glue and it dries very quickly. I use this on all models that only have a single small contact with the base and it works marvelously.

Brettila
16-08-2010, 02:28
As they are plastic you might be able to heat the 'up' leg and bend it so you have both on the base; or at least close enough to place it on a decorative base piece.

Eulenspiegel
16-08-2010, 06:58
I checked the pics on the GW site and I think I see what you mean.
Whenever I have such a flimsy connecting point for an entire model, I try to add an additional support. For example a stone (converted from leftover sprue bitz) that just touches the "up" leg, or a tree stump that supports the model.

DeviantApostle
16-08-2010, 10:58
It's not the connection to the base that I'm having a problem with, it's the ankle-leg. It's about 3mm thick, probably a little less. Pressure or rough handling will bend and break the plastic... I'm thinking of actually drilling out with my thinnest bit and putting some wire up there to help support but even if I do that, there's still the foot...

It might be a hopeless cause, I'll just have to be extra careful and paranoid.